No resting for Vols yet

‘Hardcore’ work on tap before break

A number of Tennessee players took to their Twitter pages early Monday morning to express their excitement over a chance to return to their hometowns for the weekend.

“Nashville on my mind,” wide receiver Zach Rogers wrote. “Can’t wait to get some of mom’s cooking and hang with the fam!”

“Atl, Toccoa GA on my mind!!” replied tailback Tauren Poole.

Getting there in one piece might be the hardest part.

The Vols will hold their first of two “hardcore camp practices” this afternoon, coach Derek Dooley said. The players will have to survive the next two days before they can even think about enjoying the benefits of a weekend off during the grueling 13-week stretch that is the college football season.

It will resume Oct. 23, when the Vols host No. 8 Alabama (7 p.m. ESPN), but the extra week largely won’t be used to specifically prepare for the Crimson Tide.

“We have so much development that we have to get. We’re so far behind fundamentally,” Dooley said. “We have such little experience in so many areas, that we need to go out there and block and tackle and go against each other at a fast pace and go play.”

Dooley, at his address Monday for the Knoxville Quarterback Club at Calhoun’s on the River, said he’s dressed as few as 65-70 scholarship players because of injuries and the long-lasting effects of attrition caused by two coaching changes in two years. He’s given the team the past three Mondays off as a way for the thin group to heal up and remain fresh, but that mindset will go out the window today and Wednesday.

“It’s very difficult,” Dooley said. “But I know this: If you don’t practice, you don’t play well.”

Dooley, a lawyer before he went into coaching, presented his case with a relatable example.

Offensive tackle Dallas Thomas, who suffered a sprained ankle against LSU, was mostly held out of practice last week because UT had few, if any, options to replace him if he weren’t healthy enough to play against Georgia. Both Dooley’s and Thomas’ own reviews of how he played against the Bulldogs were less than stellar, as Thomas said he played at “about 90 percent” and sat out most of the fourth quarter.

“When you rest them, you know they’re probably not going to play well anyway,” Dooley said. “I still believe that you can’t coach worrying about injuries and you got to get a deep team to be able to do that.”

There won’t be much rest allotted into the UT coaching staff’s schedule, either.

Dooley said he and his assistant coaches will hit the road over the weekend on respective recruiting trips. Throughout the week, they’ll play catch-up with their film review of potential prospects.

On Monday, players shuffled in and out of the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center for one-on-one meetings with their position coaches and Dooley. The meetings, Dooley said, were designed to benefit both parties.

“It starts with us evaluating our personnel and our players and our schemes to see if we’re coaching the right guys and where we want to head down the stretch,” he said. “They all have to set some individual goals on improvements they can make fundamentally.”

Dooley has already played 15 true freshmen this season, plucking players from a class that he said has proven to have “very few misses.” Seven of those freshmen played on an offensive series during the fourth quarter against Georgia, one that nearly led to a touchdown.

It was one of the few bright spots from the rout. It also may have provided a sneak preview for what the Vols will look like not only in the years to come, but throughout the rest of the season.

Just don’t call it a rebuilding year around Dooley.

“What’s most important is trying to win each game,” Dooley said. “Sometimes that means playing the freshmen if you feel like you’ve got a better chance to win.

“I’m not one of those guys that says ‘Let’s tank the season and develop for next year.’ I’m trying to win. That’s my responsibility to the team and it’s our responsibility to the players and the fans.”

Andrew Gribble can be reached at 865-342-6327.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ncvol17 writes:

rest up and let's finish 3-3 or 4-2..then go recruit

ncvol17 writes:

Question: how many can we sign this February? Since we are down in numbers and can only sign a maximum #per year, how many is it?

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

IMO, I think this open date will benefit the team..They can regroup and hopefully, a few injured players can heal from their injuries..Just maybe, we get a few of them back for Bama.

in response to ncvol17:

Rules allow only 25 signees. Now you can sign Junior College players to fill roles of the departed.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to ncvol17:

The short answere is 25. But there are ways around it.
Sometimes a coach can sign a couple and count them against another class.
Like everything else, it's a numbers game.

ncvol17 writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Thanks for the info..

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Are you sure we can't backcount 2 and sign 27??

kyvol98 writes:

It is an exercise in patience, of course, you have to show signs of improvement, year after year.
I truly believe we will and I expect too as well.
WE, the UT VOLS will be back!

PS: Just don't turn the ball over like we did at Sanford Stadium this year....

in response to FEARinSEC:

Are you sure we can't backcount 2 and sign 27??

I can't say definitely not but the SEC made a rule because a few years back Ole Miss signed 34 and stockpiled. I am fairly confident 25 is the limit although like I said, they can fill holes with junior college players for the particular class that is short.

FWBVol writes:

Let's face it, it takes a lot longer to get a quality meal at a nice restaurant than it does a hamburger at a fast food joint.

The burger might hit the spot for a few minutes when we are really hungry, but if we are patient we can get a much nicer meal that is more satisfying if we wait.

I'm willing to give CDD and his staff time to produce a nice meal that will be Tennessee football that will satisfy for years to come as opposed to some burger or hot dog we can get on the street corner.

Derek Dooley knows what he is doing and he will get it done.

I know a lot of people are down on CDD and compare him to Mike Shula because both have dads who are legendary coaches. The big difference is Don Shula was a NFL coach and Vince Dooley was a college coach. CDD had a chance to watch Vince manage and develop a college team through recruiting as opposed to Mike watching Don build a team through the draft.

I believe, because of the amount of CDD's buyout, he's not going any where. I hope fans will be patient enough to let him grow and develop UT's young players.

VOL03_NC writes:

The fourth quarter shows the future. It showed that these true freshmen can and did move the ball well against a seasoned and talented D1 DF. The few and simple plays scheams are too easy to decode by the other teams D. The constant rotation of men is too much demand for our proud few.

allntl1#565211 writes:

OK you Coach Fulmer lovers I am in. I miss the coach. I miss the close games when we were competetive with everyone except FL. We always competed with Memphis and Wyoming and Notre Dame. KY games were competetive but the coach always pulled it out at the end. I miss coach.

flatrock writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Derek Dooley knows what he is doing and he will get it done.

Outstanding post. Great comparison between Shula
and Dooley.

At least Shula left Saban a returning QB and
several key O-linemen. More than Kid Kiffin
and Phil left Derek.

Dig in, Vol fans. We have the right man- just
a year later than we should have!

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Derek Dooley knows what he is doing and he will get it done.

I can appreciate your analogy and it's creativity. I can also appreciate your logic in comparing Shula's weakness with Dooley's vantage point. Mike Shula was a coward. He was scarred to gamble and didn't play to win. CDD plays to win every week, and he'll take a chance even if it backfires on occasion. I respect that, because that's what it takes to win ballgames.

I don't know what CDD's buyout is, but I doubt he's going anywhere because it benefits both Tennessee and Dooley for him to stay at least two more years.

Different note: On these hard practices, we GOTTA LEARN HOW TO TACKLE! I know a player doesn't learn that after two practices, but they can get a little better anyways. Nothing makes me more angry than watching my team miss tackles. I know...easy for me to say from my recliner...but dang.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

I hate you...but, that was funny I must admit.

in response to VandyGrad:

CBSsports.com Rankings

Tennessee 74
Vanderbilt 87

in response to allntl1#565211:

Not me. I can see the future is going to be bright. Young players play good (LSU) bad (Georgia). They are up and down. Next year will better, the year after a lot better. We weren't competitive the last few years with Fulmer. The talent won the games we won. Fulmer was a great recruiter but terrible developer of talent.

TommyJack writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

This guy smacks of KNS.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Very true and a good point. He pulled in the players, but didn't develop them. Eric Ainge could have been a really good QB if he had been given the right coaches.

When I watch Poole run, he runs with passion and fights for every yard. He makes guys miss and turns plays that should go for two yards, into plays for six yards. If we had a more experienced line, he would really shine. Dooley brings out the best in his players. Fulmer brought in great players, but didn't develop them so they finished their football careers in college, instead of heading towards the NFL draft.

On a negative side, I do wonder about Simms' development. I don't see him playing to his full ability yet, and I don't see that improvement that I was anticipating.

usnavyvol writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Just make sure ur around after your annual azz kicking Kandyman..

vol75 writes:

in response to allntl1#565211:

I liked Fulmer. I despised Kiffin. I like Dooley. What does any of that matter? If we don't keep our focus on the present, we become part of the problem. Dooley is our coach. We should give him our full support. Anyone who steps on the field wearing Orange is our guy. They need all the positive energy we can send their way.

bamavolfan writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Vandy can put 22 on defence and still loose but what would you expect Vandy will always be Vandy a bunch of nerdy loosers!!!

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to justdooleyit2:

I'm a history student and not a football expert, so I won't act like one. Having said that, I watch what he does with the ball in his hands. I don't like how they spread carries out between Poole, Oku and Neal. No slight to Oku or Neal, but Poole has the ability to be great.

What is he running his trap over? Is he downing the team? I doubt it, but if he is then shame on him. I'm unfamiliar with any negative comments by Poole.

volfaninohio writes:

in response to vol75:

Well said.

volfaninohio writes:

On the recruiting question. UT can sign 25 new freshman, and red shirts count against that 25? But if the upper classes has less than a certain number they can recruit JUCO players for that class?

So should CDD focus on trying to balance out next year's Junior class with JUCO players to bring up the numbers? And if so what is the max. number 85?

Just asking thats something I have never figured out. And wouldn't know where to look to get the answer.

in response to justdooleyit2:

no not bragging, embarrassed. But more embarrassed if I were a Vandy fan who is talking smack and an idiot poster like you who is doing all this negative talking.

in response to VandyGrad:

We'll see in November. I guarantee you won't be crowing after the game. You crow about 52 pts against Eastern Michigan who ranks at the bottom of virtually every category in the NCAA and probably couldn't beat UTM. Whatever.

in response to justdooleyit2:

I don't bet but I'll take that one. How much???

in response to volfaninohio:

Can sign 25. Redshirts will count on the next year's class. 85 scholarships total. If for instance there are only 18 junior scholarship players, UT can sign 7 juco to fill that. I think that not only does UT need to get their 25 players but focus on a lot of juco players to fill holes and depth.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

A Vandy grad? Don't think so, you have misspelled words in almost every one of your posts. You may be either a 7th grader or an illiterate rednecK. Which is it?

in response to justdooleyit2:

In all actuality it's not a bet when you know you are going to win, which I would. Second, does your mama know you are up? You do have kindergarten in the morning.

volfaninohio writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Thanks

TommyJack writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

What's a nuetral field?

volfaninohio writes:

in response to volpreacher:

LMAO. Thats great

in response to VandyGrad:

Off the website: The CBSSports.com 120 rankings take into account the CBSSports.com strength of schedule ranking and votes from our staff of writers, editors and producers. All of these elements combine to give you the most authoritative, definitive ranking of all 120 Div. FBS teams in the nation.
Strength of schedule? Vandy has played who? LSU and lost by 24 at home. UT actually beat these guys in their own backyard.

I say lets suggest removal for some certain kindergarten poster. justdooleyit2

in response to justdooleyit2:

Don't scare me. lol It's not halloween yet. I don't hide behind the screens pretending to know anything about football. You are the one doing that. Just a hint: You're not doing a very good job of it either. Go Vols.

OrangePsyched writes:

What's you geographic? Maybe you and I coud meet up and discuss you low opinions on UT sports and I could give you some of my opinion of your opinions and see where that gets us. Should makd ofr an interesting discussion. Holler back.

WildVolFormation writes:

I vote for ignoring the trolls who add nothing to the discussion.

And I hope we can actually go 4-2 these last 6!

volsfannsc writes:

in response to justdooleyit2:

It takes a big man to bad mouth a player when if you were given a chance to do the same, your pants would be wet before you left the huddle. I know your type, your wife tells you when you can go to the bathroom so you get on the blogs and act all tough. You talk about nads yet in real life your wife has slipped estrogen in your drink for the last few years. I know your intent is to become a pain for everyone on this site, but I actually find your posts amusing. They border on some of the best fiction writing I've ever read. Here's to hoping wifey will allow you to get a night out with the boys so the highlight of your evening isn't posting on here. Good luck.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Hey Just:

Get off our site. You aren't welcome here....Don't make us say it again....

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to justdooleyit2:

scum

utfan36 writes:

cdd knows what the almight cnsaban game plan is! they are learning to count to 11 for the next 2 weeks! haha just had to throw that in! u know i use to get mad at cpf and cuss and cary on i'v learned just 2 laugh it off! same for these new coaches that is just not up to the speed of the SEC.they look like a freshmen playing there first play in the d1 football. i like cdd but this was a mercy hire! ut tried to get some big name coaches but they didnt want the job but kippy brown did! cdd is hamiltons last hire he will be fired by end of the season!if i was playing for ut right now i would want to go home for a few days to! u know they are getting there a-$ chewed off when it ant there falt! its all on the coaches!

CCLC writes:

in response to flatrock:

Outstanding post. Great comparison between Shula
and Dooley.

At least Shula left Saban a returning QB and
several key O-linemen. More than Kid Kiffin
and Phil left Derek.

Dig in, Vol fans. We have the right man- just
a year later than we should have!

Shula - 1.Played HS ball in Miami lead his team to a State Championship (Father was a HC ;-)coached in Miami it was a pro team , but many expected him to play his college ball in Florida some say he wanted some space . Went out of state to Alabama , played 3 years…not a great player but played with heart. Short career in pro’s.
2. Coached as an assistant at Miami Dophins, was the offensive coordinator for Tampa Bay made it to NFC playoffs under Dungy. Became Head Coach for Alabama ..6 year deal 5.4 million.

Dooley- 1. Played his HS ball in Athens and helped lead his team to a State Championship(Father was a HC for a college team. Many expected him to play his college ball in Georgia …some say he wanted some space. Went out of state to Virginia , walked on yet earned a scholarship. Not a great player but played with heart. No pro career.
2. Assistant coach for LSU/Saban, went with Saban to Miami Dolphins for two years. Hired as hc and latert HC/AD LaTech. Became HC at Tennessee 4.5 mil for 4 years????(guessing here)’

Other than the type of experience although I would say that Shula NFL O coordinator is at least as respectable as Dooley’s HC position at LaTech. --they are very similar and have a lot in common. I would give Shula the edge in football experience .
Just sayin’.

BJ writes:

Response to VandyGrad Why don't you go post on a Vandy Site oh I forgot they don't have one. First you post as a VandyGrad the VOLALUM me thinks your just a stupid idiot troll go do something useful with your life like encourage somebody or say something positive such a negative person reflects how truely unhappy and insecure they are

CCLC writes:

in response to kcsbigorng:

Bit harsh. You might want to lay off the caffeine. Dooley's doing fine. He’s on pace to win about as many games as he did last year at LaTech, before his daddy’s name….er, his coaching brilliance…got him the UT gig.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

I hate to get into a Fulmer debate, but I will say this. Fulmer sent many, many players to the NFL so dont expect people to believe you lies. For years UT was top 10 in players in the NFL. He recruited talent and developed it. Of course over 16 years, there are going to be some down years. Only 2 years did Fulmer win less than 8 games, and he NEVER went more than a year without winning at least 9 games. Also to say UT wasnt competetive the last few years under Fulmer is a lie too. UT tied for best reg season record in the SEC less than a year before he was fired. I would call that competetive. You could single out 05 and 08, but those are the only years Fulmer won less than 8 games and he had to replace a great off co. in 08. I'm not going to get into the "what if" Fulmer stayed debate because it will only be speculation on both sides and doesnt matter now. Dooley is head coach now and he will be held to the same expectations that fans held Fulmer. He will need some time though, but he better step it up and fast. I just wish people would get there facts straight and not make statements that arent true just because they wanted Fulmer fired. Even in Fulmer's worst years of his career 05-08, he still averaged 7-5 and finished top 25 twice. I support Dooley, but not blindly. So far, I havent seen anything that makes me think he would be any better than Fulmer was.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

Also, just to correct you on one more thing. You say if Ainge wouldve had the right coach he wouldve developed? You ever hear of a guy named Cutlciff? You ever hear of a couple of Qb's named Eli Manning and Peyton Manning that he developed? If you are going to criticize one of the greatest coaches in UT history, then at least learn some history

Lizardgrad89 writes:

None of you have the # of signees issue correct.

A team can sign a max of 25 recruits in any single year, up until they reach the overall limit of 85 scholarships. For example, if a school has 70 scholly players st the end of the year, the team can only sign 15 kids, as that brings them to the overall max of 85. But if that same team had 50 scholly athletes at the end of the season, they could only sign a max of 25, even though that would only bring them up to 75 total schollys.

However, lets say the team had 50 schollys, so was allowed to sign the max amount of 25, but only signed 20, leaving them with 70 scholly athletes. Since they did not reach their limit on either an annual or overall basis, they still have the ability to hand out more schollys. The next recruiting season (assuming they have no more than 55 scholarships tied up with returning players, which means they have 30 scholarships not in use) they could accept as many as 5 early entrants (kids that enroll for the first time in January) and count them back to the prior year. So in theory, the team could sign 30 kids that year, 5 that would count back to the prior year (bringing that year up to the 25 annual limit), and 25 in the current year. Adding those 30 kids to the 55 on scholly brings the total schollys used to 85.

So over the two year span, they will have signed 25 kids each year, and never gone above the 85 limit.

However, the SEC recently passed a rule that limited the number of kids signed in any single year to 28. So UT couldn't sign the 30 I mentioned in the above example (but anyone outside of the SEC could), they could only sign 28. Still, they could count as many as 5 early entrants back to the prior year, which would mean they would count 23 toward the current year, and the school would still be able to sign 2 early entrants the 3rd year and count them back to the 2nd year.

The other issue is greyshirts. These are kids that are signed in one year, but don't start school until the following January. They are like early enrollees, only instead of counting backward one year from the year they are signed, they would count forward one year from the year they are signed. If UT had 60 kids on scholly, and so only had the 25 to give, they could sign 28, but three would have to greyshirt, wait a semester to enroll and be counted the next season. Interestingly, in a scenario where UT had a very small senior class, and had say, 77 kids on scholarship, they would only be allowed to sign 8 kids to scholarship for a year, but could still sign 28, and greyshirt 20 of them. There's is no set limit on the # of kids that can be greyshirted (as long as you stay within the overall signing limit of 28), but there is a theoretical limit of 25, since you could only sign that many to scholarships the following year.

Transfers do not count toward the 25 annual limit any year, but count toward the 85 maximum.

I hope this helps.

Lizardgrad89 writes:

Additional recruiting notes:

1. The SEC set that 28 limit in response to Ole Miss and Bama oversigning by a large number every year. Ole Miss was really bad, they signed everyone they could, and sent them all to Junior colleges. Trying to set up a farm system, I think.

2. There is no limit on the number of kids in a particular class. For example, you could have 25 true juniors, 25 redshirt juniors, and sign 25 junior college transfers, giving the team 75 juniors on the team. It would be a stupid thing to do, and basically destroy the program, but there is no rule against it.