Summitt: Comments at SEC media day not about Pearl

Pat Summitt at SEC Media Days

HOOVER, Ala. – After spending the morning at SEC media day, Tennessee women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt spent part of her afternoon back in Knoxville explaining a comment she made here about herself that was misconstrued to reference UT men’s coach Bruce Pearl.

After stating her support for Pearl, whose program has been the subject of an NCAA investigation, Summitt was asked whether it was easy for a coach to make “a mistake in judgment’’ and push “into the gray area’’ of recruiting. She interrupted the train of thought by asking “For me?” and went on to say, “I’ve never compromised at all and I wouldn’t and if I did, they should fire me. I’ve been there too long.”

The comment was passed along and apparently lost its context amid the chatter on the Internet and talk radio. Before going on “Sports Talk” on WNML radio on Thursday afternoon, Summitt reiterated in a follow-up interview with the News Sentinel that she was speaking solely about herself.

“They’re making something out of it that it’s not,’’ she said. “I’m not going away without scoring some punches myself. Bruce Pearl never entered my mind. It’s not fair.”

“I made it very clear, I support Bruce and he supports me. I think people are just looking for stuff. All I care about now is this doesn’t affect Bruce. He’s been through enough.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say the internet has so enriched our lives.....Witch Doctor bout ready to go back to monkeys and message drums.

GeneralNeyland96redux writes:

At least the "smoke signals" are of a MUCH higher quality these days!!

DRORANGELOVE writes:

Simply astounds me and also irritates the heck out of me at how the news media can take a well intended statement from someone and turn it around completely out of context and try to stir up dissension and hard feelings among people. AND THEN have the audacity to question why the public has no respect for members of the news media. Duhh !!!!!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

Thank you, Pat.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to back2z1:

Witch Doctor have to admit he has talked his boss into buying Witch Doctor a new Ipad on the 28th. Witch Doctor know he be so much more productive doing all his sportsboard posting while driving instead of office. Witch Doctor say that working smart and not hard!

Greyfeathers writes:

Good grief, even Pat Summitt has jumped on the lyin' Bruce bandwagon. Who woulda thunk it??

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Greyfeathers:

Witch Doctor say if you are going to interlope please put a little more effort into it...(the story is up above..(?)

tapeworm writes:

While it's very noble of Pat Summitt to "clarify" her statement, as much as I like and respect her, I simply find it hard to believe that "Bruce Pearl never entered her mind." She's media savvy enough to know that question for her didn't just come out of left field. All that aside, there's no question that Pat Summitt has earned the right to be believed about anything she says. So, I defer to her clarification.

born2ride writes:

in response to Greyfeathers:

Bruce Pearl is becoming toxic. People want to stay clear.

CoverOrange writes:

I don't see how that clarification changed anything. She has a principle, if she crosses it she believes she should go. Why would she not expect the same principles from her peers. She peed on Geno for not having those principles.

VoLsInBlaCk writes:

PEASE DONT SING YOUR KID UP TOO PLAY BASKETBALL WITH THE WOLFPACK!!!SHE WILL TAKE YOUR $$$$$

VoLsInBlaCk writes:

Pealse dont sing your Kid up for the WOLFPACK Basketball she will take your $$$$ TRUST ME!!!!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to VoLsInBlaCk:

Witch Doctor believe the dyslexic-Bi-polar Vols chat room down the hall, 3rd door on left.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to VoLsInBlaCk:

Witch Doctor believe the dyslexic Vols chat room down the hall, 3rd door on left.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctors computer got the hiccups. lol.

UTByrd writes:

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the new age of tabloid "journalism". I don't know about you all, but I'm sick of it. As long as people keep reading and commenting on their stories and it keeps making money, it will never stop...just like the trolls. I gaurantee you that for every negative story, there are a hundred positive stories out there. I would much rather read and react to the "feel good" stories.
As far as I am concerned, the only story here is the fact CPS carified her statement. It was wrong for CBP to lie but it was about phone calls for goodness sakes.
The UT administration handed down some strict punishment on the coaches and the program-big time loss of personal income as well as recruiting opportunities. This, to me, has set a precedent that all universities should follow. Remember, this all about lying about phone calls and a get together at CBP's house. Nothing more, nothing less.
Go VOLS!!!!!

Millisa writes:

Go Coach Summitt :) :) :)

murrayvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

I was never good with drums.

scvols writes:

in response to bankofdad3:

LOL!!! Lets all sing with the wolf pack.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

Let me lend you a crowbar so you can remove that stick in your a**.

Lighten up Francis.

Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4 writes:

Much to do about nothin'. All these media guys: newpaper, TV & Radio plus everybody and their brother has an internet site or blog now. They have to write about something. Also can any of you imagine working for one of these sports talk stations? Those folks must love to hear their voice day after day. No big deal. Go Vols!

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to UTByrd:

Go VOLS!!!!!

Unfortunately it is not only about phone calls anymore it is about face to face contact with high school player at CPB home and lies about photos of the contact. The beast continues to grow. I hope this will all go away but you combine the basketball investigation with baseball and football investigations it is becomming a big mess. Go Vols

Dobervol writes:

in response to back2z1:

Perhaps Witch Doctor (or his Ghost) can cast some sort of spell to make trolls go away.

iowavol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Think we might have use to smoke signals as well. Just have to be careful not to inhale.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

Witch Doctor yawn...

spencer1989#206886 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

And sometimes (when I see the details of my family plan cell phone bill)....I think we need to resort back to the tin cans with strings for communicating. I might even have to resort to the old bag phone!! Imagine us having to talk and listen rather than texting!!!! But to your point, the internet and all our technology have enriched so much we are spoiled.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to spencer1989#206886:

Witch Doctor agree we are spoiled. Witch Doctor leave phone at home one day and worse day of Witch Doctors life..ended up driving home at lunch. Witch Doctor did sneak and eat piece of pie in fridge Witch Doctor wife was saving..overall a bad day. lol.

tmartin writes:

sounds like pat is jealous of the men's program taking the spotlight off of the women's program.

bigdisbig writes:

All of you Bruce Pearl haters need to take a look in the mirror. I, for one, am a forgiven sinner who doesn't throw rocks for I have lived in a glass house.
BP is the greatest coach Tennessee has EVER had bar none. If he had the Ernie and Bernie show they would have won a national title....nothing against Ray Mears.
BP made a mistake in judgement and you want to throw him under the bus??? I suggest all of you "haters" stay off this site for you are unworthy of the rest of us.

Smokey91 writes:

in response to tmartin:

I dont think anything the Vols Men's BB program does will ever take the shine off of all that Pat Summitt has done for the Univeristy of Tennessee.

RichmondKyVol writes:

Is that which is true for the goose not true for the gander? I think Pat let her Freudian slip show.

Vol737 writes:

Whoever the media types are, or "journalist", that are trying to bring CPS into the Pearl mess, they should be taken out behind the woodshed and have their clock cleaned. Absolutely stupid that CPS should feel she has to qualify a statement to a bunch of journalist losers that don't have a fraction of her track record of accomplishment and character. Bunch of freakin' clowns!

Vol737 writes:

in response to tmartin:

Sounds like you don't know anything about Pat Summit and "critical thinking" isn't in your vocabulary.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I guess "singing" with the Wolfpack mught be better than being called a Oompa Loompa by Schultz in the ajc.com.

Maybe not..

BigOrangeBill writes:

in response to tmartin:

Good grief! Just when you think there can't EVER be a more stupid post than some others I've read here, tmartin comes up with this prize-winner! Pat and Bruce are GREAT friends and they work together and HELP EACH OTHER constantly. Tmartin is so off base with this comment, he just might be a Gator! You think?

AllforTenn writes:

in response to tmartin:

Stupid remark!

stevefrommemphis writes:

Mark Wiedmer in Chattanooga wrote an entire article about it this morning. Of course Mark is one of the biggest lifelong Kentucky fans in the state of Tennessee and would like to see nothing better than for Tennessee to jettison Bruce Pearl, so that the historic masters of corruption over many decades, the Kentucky Wildcats, can proceed without SEC competition. Listen to me Kentucky fans. BRUCE PEARL IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE, PERIOD.

Pat Summitt could make up for what I consider to be her gaffe by saying that men's basketball is a rough and tumble world that Bruce has to deal with, then calling out Kentucky by name. Do it, Pat.

mborokyvol writes:

however anyone took CPS statements is irrelevant to me. her meaning was,for her,cheating coaches who are tenured should be fired for recruiting violations.why would she not think that people who take her at face value would not think that her logic does not apply to CBP? its not that far of a stretch. if she believes that if she was in pearls situation that she should be fired, why would anyone think that she doesnt believe pearl should be fired. i cant blame the press. if that is her opinion she is entitled to it, but that IS NOT my opinion! GO VOLS! im with pearl to the end!

jryevols#222657 writes:

Witch Doctor' s true identy has been revealed an will air tonight on ESPN.It has been quoted and said that Lane Kiffin and his father developed the idea of Witch Doctor and bones don't lie as a smoke screen to divert any attention to the numerous accounts of mis-conduct. It si said that Phillip Fumer tried to develop the doctor plans back in the 90's and the plans were stolen by coeds whom later sold them to Kiffin for a ride in his car. He thought it meant bone never lies ,but later changed it to bones , when he found out his dad was in the back seat. More at 10

ps11824 writes:

Some of these posts are so ridiculous. You presume to know Bruce and Pat better than they know themselves. How idiotic is that? Why would half a brain attempt to wax philosophical? Why would you expose your querulous ignorance?

go_vols writes:

Very disappointing Pat. I'ave lost all respect for you. You accuse another institution of recruiting violations, not supported by NCAA findings, yet when your fellow coach actually admits that he knowingly violated NCAA rules, you embrace him. That's the definition of hypocrisy, and you have no standing now or in the future on this issue. Very disappointed.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to jryevols#222657:

Witch Doctor exposed! lol. (at one time I was getting accused of being the Big O.! haha)
Top guesses I get by email..
1. Johnny Knoxville
2. Kenny Chesney
Witch Doctor much more creative than both these combined!

tenn32rebel writes:

in response to go_vols:

Sorry but your logic is flawed. Bruce is being punished and is under the glare of the media. Geno, on the other hand, NEVER was punished or even questioned. He was even made coach of the USA Team!!! Pat didn't complain about Geno to the NCAA first, it was Andy Landers. Pat stopped the series because that was the only way Geno was going to get punished. It has worked, too!

Pat never said the Bruce wasn't wrong. He was guilty and stated it. Now, he will take his punishment and move forward. Pat was supporting Bruce as a fellow UT coach and friend. She was not judging him, just supporting a forgiven sinner.

SoddyVol writes:

Mike_In_Conville: . Because ESPN gets away with favors to Uconn that gives Uconn a great advantage over other teams means his success is at least partially owed to ESPN.

go_vols writes:

in response to tenn32rebel:

I see no flaws. You should take the time and get the facts before you comment on this issue. Stop being a homer and be honest with yourself as I am. Call it like you see it. I don't like Geno myself but I have great respect for him and his program. If you make an accusation, have the facts to back it up. We didn't have it and the NCAA found nothing that's why he wasn't punished.

Bruce on the other hand, knowingly admits he was breaking the rules. I'm sorry, but you can't report someone else for rules violations and on the other hand embrace another just because you're friends. I guess justice when it comes to Pat on this issue is not blind.

On the other hand, when it comes to her and Geno, well lets say it's personal and has nothing to do with women's basketball. Punish Geno thats a joke. They've only been setting records and going undefeated. Some punishment. Maybe if our team had played them, that may not have been the case. All i'm saying it's time to move on and stop accusing other people and play the game. You want to shut Geno up, beat his team.

mad_poly_uct writes:

in response to Mike_In_Connecticut:

Awww c'mon Mike, he had the Fieldhouse!!LOL! Remember that glorified barn?....and those "10 people in the stands", were most likely students of CD's who she told would get extra credit if they showed up...

mad_poly_uct writes:

in response to Mike_In_Connecticut:

You're preaching to the choir bro! Not only did all teams practice in the old Fieldhouse, so did many intramural activities happen during the same time. The place was a zoo. I remember that Comcast bull over the BE Tourney. ESPN was essentially blackmailing Comcast by putting some Uconn nat'l games & BE Tourney on ESPNU which Comcast did not provide. AG Blumenthal had to step in threaten lawsuit unless semi-final was simulcast on CPTV. And no offense to the residents of Bristol, but the area where the ESPN building sits....what a dump!

mad_poly_uct writes:

in response to Mike_In_Connecticut:

Another issue many don't realize is the contentious relationship between ESPN & UConn over t.v. rights. CPTV holds the rights to vast majority of the games. ESPN will in some cases have to purchase the rights to carry game they want from CPTV, which really pisses them off. That's why so many UConn games ended up on ESPNU,which up until last season, was not carried on most cable providers in Ct. CPTV can be very annoying with the constant begging, but then again, how many national programs have the type of popularity where they can show so many games on public t.v.? Not many, if any at all.

mad_poly_uct writes:

in response to Mike_In_Connecticut:

I don't believe Tenn. has any connection with public t.v. I believe they're part of the Fox Sportssouth package which I can recieve as a premium package through Comcast.They may have fewer games on t.v. than Uconn, but I'm really not sure. I'd love to switch to Direct t.v., but I can't. I usually don't bother with the audio on CPTV, but watch & listen to Joe D. do the game on radio

The_Truth_and_nothing_but_the_Truth writes: