Alabama-Tennessee preview capsule

Full event details »

Capsule preivew of the Tennessee-Alabama game.

No. 7 Alabama (6-1, 3-1 SEC) at Tennessee (2-4, 0-3), 7 p.m. (ESPN)

Line: Alabama by 16½.

Series Record: Alabama leads 47-38-7.

Last Meeting: 2009, Alabama 12-10.

WHAT'S AT STAKE

Alabama must keep its annual meeting with Tennessee from turning into a trap game after playing seven straight with a bye weekend just around the corner. The Volunteers are still looking for their first SEC win under new coach Derek Dooley, and a win over the Crimson Tide would end a three-game losing skid to their biggest rival.

KEY MATCHUP

Alabama's passing game against Tennessee's defense. Opponents have succeeded at limiting Crimson Tide RBs Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson, and QB Greg McElroy and the Alabama receivers have struggled to make them pay for that decision. McElroy might find more success against a Volunteers defense that's struggled to stop the pass this season, especially on third down.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Alabama: Ingram is still averaging 91.2 yards rushing per game, even though he's been held in check three weeks in a row. Tennessee has been more successful at stopping the run than the pass and will try to mimic what Florida, South Carolina and Mississippi did to stop Ingram.

Tennessee: QB Tyler Bray. Dooley pledged to play the backup before halftime against the Crimson Tide in hopes of giving the Volunteers' struggling offense some new life. Matt Simms is still the starter, but Bray impressed the coaches in a 41-14 loss to Georgia.

FACTS & FIGURES

Dooley worked for Alabama coach Nick Saban for six seasons at LSU and one seasons with the NFL's Dolphins. The pair have never coached against one another. ... Alabama has not allowed an opposing RB to rush for 100 yards in 41 consecutive games. ... The Crimson Tide is Tennessee's fourth opponent ranked. Three of the six opponents have been in the top 10. ... Alabama has a three-game winning streak over Tennessee and a 21-20-1 margin in games played in Knoxville.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

mtowntim writes:

Perfect chance for a huge upset!
GO VOLS!!!

bretonbound writes:

Alabama starts more freshmen & sophomores and fewer seniors than tennessee...obviously, youth can't be used as an excuse for losing this game..so, what will it be this time?? coaching?? b i n g o

mtowntim writes:

I guess VandyGrad is now KingFulmer... just one more to scroll on past.

GO VOLS!!!

beaus27 writes:

We're coming off a bye,
the game is in Knoxville,
Bama plays us before their bye,
some of our injured players are returning,
and we're debuting our new lighter Addias jerseys

I smell upset.

bubbanator21 writes:

in response to bretonbound:

WOW! Really?? Do you consider Nick Saban a good coach? He went 6-6 in his first year at BAMA. It will take time. We are not just young, we are inexperienced and have a new offense and defense. We also have no depth. None of those problems are coaching.

IheartTN writes:

any given day any one can win. I just hope our boys believe that. I'm afraid they've lost their fight. I want them to know SOME of us haven't! (the rest of you kind of disgust me... its not drinking the KoolAid... its supporting my team)

DooleyWagon22 writes:

in response to beaus27:

We're coming off a bye,
the game is in Knoxville,
Bama plays us before their bye,
some of our injured players are returning,
and we're debuting our new lighter Addias jerseys

I smell upset.

Agreed man! I love positive posters like you!

girlwhobleedsorange writes:

in response to beaus27:

We're coming off a bye,
the game is in Knoxville,
Bama plays us before their bye,
some of our injured players are returning,
and we're debuting our new lighter Addias jerseys

I smell upset.

it's people like you who keep this football program alive. i'll have faith in these vols no matter what happens in neyland stadium this saturday... but i'm cheering for an upset until the clock hits zero.

mtowntim writes:

Love that scroll wheel on the old mouse and love Tennessee football. Win or lose, orange is my color!

GO VOLS!!!

BeRealistic writes:

in response to KingFulmer:

I'm not a dam idiot there mouth, I posted on here Sept. 6 we would have a 5-7 season. We will be 2-6 after S Carolina game so take it from there. Just because you tell it like it is doesn't make you a troll or a non-vol fan.

thereturnoftriumph writes:

a sincere good luck from ol' triumph. remember, you were one fat boy blocked field goal from a win last year.
some one has to step up for the SEC east. my gators can't do it.
they can be beat. the OBC proved that.
give em h**l
triumph.
ps: i suggest you have Witch Doctor run through the "T"
bones never lie

nocleats writes:

in response to thereturnoftriumph:

some one has to step up for the SEC east. my gators can't do it.
they can be beat. the OBC proved that.
give em h**l
triumph.
ps: i suggest you have Witch Doctor run through the "T"
bones never lie

Thanks Triumph,.. its gonna take some luck, some big plays, some mistakes by bama, and some breaks from the refs...but all things are possible..

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

We should be 5-7 with a chance to beat Miss.

This week is 41-6 Bama. Our chances slim to none.

thereturnoftriumph writes:

in response to nocleats:

cleats, yes they are. you folks had lsu beat.
in BR. 13 players on the field had nothing to do with the fact that LSU's last play was a Chinese
fire drill. just bad karma.
Bama will be tough, but keep the score low and Vols have a chance.

nocleats writes:

in response to thereturnoftriumph:

cleats, yes they are. you folks had lsu beat.
fire drill. just bad karma.
Bama will be tough, but keep the score low and Vols have a chance.

That loss hurt, could have really jump started the rebuild thing, but really took the juice out of em. Tns lack of DTackles has led to many many problems all over the team.. Going to take time,

volsgirl writes:

GO VOLS......BEAT BAMA. I SMELL UP SET....WHOOOOOOOO....

thereturnoftriumph writes:

in response to nocleats:

had a feeling that JC DT John Brown would not work out for UT. 5 star out of Lakeland coming to the Gators. Bad grades and lazy attitude sent him packing. a zebra can't change his stripes.
LSU/UT has to be one of the most bizzare endings
i have ever seen. i have been watching since the
60's.
you have a good grasp on your team. a true fan

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

Just watched a youtube of the '82 game, Bear's last game in Knoxville. It showed the "T" at midfield, and the raucous Tennessee crowd. Listening to John Ward's voice as the Vols beat up the Crimson Tide almost brought tears to my eyes. That place was rockin'. I don't know why, but whenever I see a game on TV, seems like the crowd's watching a movie rather than a football game. I think maybe part of that's the tighter rules on celebrations, maybe folks are afraid that they'll get in some sort of trouble for being just a bit too happy about their team winning.

I humbly request that those who are able to attend the game tomorrow raise holy hell, scream themselves so hoarse that they have no voice for a week, and stay proud to be Tennessee Vols... I know I always will be, W or L!!!! It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!

thereturnoftriumph writes:

in response to jcvet33:

stranger things have happened

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

Good job with the fact checking.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

We lost to Oregon, and now they're being called #1 in the nation by the human polls. From what I saw when they sodomized UCLA yesterday, I may have to agree. We played them close up until halftime.

LSU is a team that we would have beaten, if not for...well...it's too painful to say. As I type, they're 6th in the nation. ESPN won't stop talking about the LSU defense. (BTW, Lou Holtz said Les Miles was a great coach...douche)

I'm disappointed in how we played Florida and UAB.

Auburn and S. Carolina are very good teams this year. To top it off, Vandy and KY are actually decent this year. Out of all the years for these two programs to get it together...they do it this year while we're the weakest we've been in as far back as I can remember.

All the stars are lined up to make this a horrible season, so appreciating moral victories as a strategy to keep some level of optimism seems reasonable. A moral victory is what I'm looking for on Saturday. If we can play hard, play smart, tackle and beat the spread I'll be tickled. I'll be at Neyland, hollering like a crazy fool when we're on defense and wearing my lucky hat, as Tennessee faces a Bama team that may be stronger this year than they were last year.

new_era_vol writes:

in response to jcvet33:

I don't know about shredding the bama secondary, but he is no doubt a talented freshman. I do think it is worth a try, he may be just what the doctor ordered. GO VOLS, and roll tide.(That is roll over and die) GBO!!!!

DooleyWagon22 writes:

in response to new_era_vol:

Worth a try! We are 2-4. Gotta start somewhere! If we pull a upset I'm not gonna hoop and holler until it says FINAL!

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to jcvet33:

I hope you are right!

But can our OL protect him, and give more than 2 seconds to find an open receiver?

Go Vols!

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

I'm disappointed in how we played Florida and UAB.

Very good comments!

The SEC is just real tough this year!

I bleed orange, and I will stick with them no matter what. To be realistic,..I see maybe 3 or 4 wins this year.

We have to get things turned around, but it won't happen over night. I've been with this team since the early 60's...and that LSU loss was the toughest I've ever had to live through.

GO VOLS!

GOJO writes:

in response to naffy:

***********

I like your sarcasm naffy.