Revised deal says Pearl to make $1.5M next 2 years

Tennessee head coach Bruce Pearl addresses the press during men's basketball media day at Thompson-Boling Arena Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The revised contract the University of Tennessee has offered men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl would pay him $1.5 million each of the next two seasons and $10 million over the next five years, according to UT athletic department sources familiar with the situation.

Pearl's previous contract called for him to make $2 million this season, $2.1 million next season and $11.5 over the next five years.

The sources spoke Friday morning on condition of anonymity because the contract has yet to be signed.

The contract reflects UT taking $1.5 million from Pearl's salary as part of a self-imposed sanctions package the school has proposed to the NCAA in light of multiple violations that occurred during Sept. 20, 2008, recruiting visits with high school juniors.

Pearl's new contract offer is consistent with the previous one in that it offers him similar bonus opportunities for postseason appearances and coach of the year awards.

The new deal, however, delays a $500,000 retention bonus he was due in November of 2012. Pearl would now receive the retention bonus in June of 2015.

Athletic director Mike Hamilton said Thursday he sent Pearl the contract two weeks ago.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

collegegrad writes:

The only coach or anyone I have respect for at UT is Coach Summitt. If they do fire Pearl, then he would never be offered another coaching job with any university, which means his career would be over, due to his prior history. Then he can start a new career.

Ironcity writes:

in response to deadvol1:

Oh the humanity, He had prospects to his house. You would love UT to get rid of him because he has owned the conference since he got here. You are just going to have to deal with it!

AlphaMan1 writes:

I'm curious...all of you who are screaming for CPB's head on a platter...how great are you?

Sunday morning I'll be at church, not because I'm great, but because I'm very much not. I write this not with great pride, but with deep remorse over the many past sins I've committed.

I don't know his heart, but if Coach Pearl feels that way too ... I mean REALLY feels that way, then what say you?

Will the stone remain in your hand?

bmaples writes:

It's not the secondary violation of the BBQ. It's the lying about the violations, THEN asking recruits to lie for him.

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

NO CONTRACT BEYOND THIS YEAR UNTIL ALL FACTS ARE KNOWN AND SANCTIONS ARE HANDED OUT. WHAT IS HE GOING TO DO, QUIT. NO OTHER PLACE WILL HIRE HIM, DAMAGED GOODS.

rdrgtr writes:

This is real funny. Most of the people that post on here wants Pearl out. The university obviously does not. When the season starts and the vols start mowing down teams left and right, everybody will jump back on the bandwagon. This team is loaded for another run and the wheels of the university know it. I myself am a CBP supporter. If the ncaa has mercy on us, all of this will pass. I'm sure they feel Pearl has some equity built up or he would have been fired weeks ago. Bruce Pearl has built a basketball empire that does not come by very often. Say goodbye to Pearl and say hello cellar in the sec east (for a long,long time). I know somebody is going reply to this post and say, "I had rather be in last place in the east forever that be a cheat". These are probably the same idiots that already want to run coach Dooley out of town on a rail. Coach Pearl does deserve another chance.

Ironcity writes:

in response to rdrgtr:

The people who want Pearl gone are the people who don't like UT. Like most fans I am disappointed that coach broke the rules. I do believe its a stupid rule that he broke but it is a rule and you have to abide by it.

Coach is going to get punished harshly but I will take someone who steps up and accepts the mistakes rather then heads to the pros for cover.

VolFaninDC writes:

in response to bmaples:

And don't forget getting the assistant coaches to lie also.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Kool it Kool Aid kismetor whatever! don't forget that Jesus was known for eating with sinners. He forgave them before they knew they needed it. True we do need forgiveness...PEARL nneeds forgiveness. We all need forgiveness (seriously). " I say to you , there are people in prisons that will see the Kingdom of Heaven before the "vipers of justice". maybe
Most Tennessee fans will scream for Calipari's head even if we know he's innocent. I mean c'mon the guys "ugly". He smells bad. He has terrible manners. His mother smells ba...k I went too far again!!

bmaples writes:

I wrote a longer article about this on my blog, but I'll make this short comment here, again:

There is a big difference between unknowingly committing a secondary violation then owning up to it when you realize what you've done ...

... and KNOWINGLY committing a series of secondary violations, THEN lying to the NCAA about them, THEN getting your staff to lie as well, THEN calling up recruits and their families and asking them to lie as well.

His possible saving grace? Coming to Hamilton and confessing what he had done, before the NCAA found out (if I understand the story correctly). And the fact that the base violations were secondary.

Do I want him fired? No, I don't.

Do I want him suspended? Yes, without pay of any kind, for a year. And no coaching or contact with the team or the staff. Make someone interim, and let Bruce think long and hard about how badly he wants to be the men's basketball coach at the University of Tennessee.

It give the university a chance to show that they take what he did very seriously, and it gives Bruce Pearl a chance to show he's contrite enough to take the punishment.

If we want Pearl as our coach -- and at this point, I still do -- then the school has to do more than cut his pay. This isn't a few extra phone calls; this is a serious cover-up. The punishment should be more severe than it has been to date.

Bruce in Louisville

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I've said that Pearl's punishment was not appropriate before...(I hate aggreeing with you catscratch). I don't think in this case Pearl should be fired. I don't think He should necessarily go without pay or be kept from the team. But the "fine" doesn't fit by itself. Pearl himself needs to volunteer(no pun) something to show his sincerity in his desire to be an honest coach... To me this is not about him or Hamilton or the school. This is about the example he is to the young minds he's responsible to.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Most companies I've been around don't even need a reason to fire you other than it's what they want to do! Here tho', Pearl represents a whole lot more than himself. He's said he wasn't innocent. Maybe he;s sorry maybe he's not. Maybe... we should wait and see. Ideally, anyone, should be given a chance to repent.
Then fire him if he doesn't show change. We really don't know what the best thing to do is and can only guess and hope for the programs sake and for the influence of young people's sake that we make the right decision. I wouldn't want to be the one making this decision. I'd bet tho' that most of the players want to keep him.

Volborn writes:

in response to KoolAidKarma:

same reason Kentucky loves Calimari...because he wins...period....and operates a program in the black. It's all about money, unfortunately.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Volborn:

I'm glad you added "unfortunately". I was about to bash you mercilessly.

Biggie writes:

in response to TNORANGEDOGDAD:

You guys are nuts! CBP would have another job the very next day. The SAME day if we fire him before noon. The guys a winner! He broke some rules, so punish him and let's move on. I don't want any other college coach that's out there and any real UT fan wouldn't either.

UkJarhead writes:

in response to KoolAidKarma:

Seriously? Equating this to criminal behavior? Let's have some perspective people. We are talking about coaches breaking work rules, not laws. There is a difference. If everything Pearl is accused of is true, which it is, he didn't break laws... It's like you in your office not filing papers correctly over and over. You are careless and dishonest, but not a criminal. We brand these coaches as crooks. Calipari isn't a crook. He has never even been charged with a rule violation. But if everything you think he has done is true, it's still just breaking work rules. It doesn't make him a criminal. Get a little perspective. It has nothing to do with God or the law. Shew. It's sports.