No stopping Julio Jones as Crimson Tide romps in second half

Alabama wide receiver Julio Jones, right, tries to escape from Tennessee’s Art Evans on Saturday night during the Crimson Tide’s 41-10 victory at Neyland Stadium. Jones had 12 catches for an Alabama single-game record of 221 yards.

Photo by Michael Patrick

Game recap: UT vs. Alabama

Alabama wide receiver Julio Jones, right, tries to escape from Tennessee's Art Evans on Saturday night during the Crimson Tide's 41-10 victory at Neyland Stadium. Jones had 12 catches for an Alabama single-game record of 221 yards.

Highlights of the good old days flashed across the Neyland Stadium JumboTron at the end of the third quarter Saturday night. Peyton Manning, Reggie White, Dale Jones, Tee Martin, there they were making big plays against Alabama.

The reality of Tennessee football 2010, however, was that Alabama's highlights had come in the previous 15 minutes. And they were real.

The seventh-ranked Crimson Tide used big plays to score three touchdowns in the third quarter and turn a tight game into a 41-10 rout.

A rout of historic proportion. The 31-point margin was Alabama's biggest ever in Knoxville, surpassing the 28-point gap (56-28) in 1986.

"We fought 'em pretty hard for 30 minutes,'' said UT head coach Derek Dooley. "The third quarter was the difference.''

After 30 minutes, Tennessee (2-5, 0-4 SEC) trailed only 13-10 before a sell-out crowd of 102,455.

Tauren Poole's 59-yard scoring sprint had even given the Vols an early 7-0 lead.

But after the Pride of the Southland Band marched, Alabama (7-1, 4-1 SEC) marched, too.

The Crimson Tide scored touchdowns on its first four possessions of the second half. They didn't come cheap, either, culminating drives of 70, 65, 80 and 80 yards.

"We struggle to stop anyone,'' Dooley said. "We fight a little bit and then it just breaks.''

Every drive involved at least one big play, whether it was Trent Richardson's 65-yard touchdown run or bombs from Greg McElroy to Julio Jones of 38, 19 and 47 yards, or a 36-yard connection between McElroy and Marquis Maze.

"This is the best we've probably played on the road this year,'' said Alabama coach Nick Saban, who is 4-0 against Tennessee since taking over Alabama in 2007.

"Our focus this week was to try to distinguish ourselves by playing to a higher standard. In the second half we did that.''

Jones shredded the Vols for 221 receiving yards, an Alabama single-game record.

The only thing he didn't do was score but his teammates took care of that.

Mark Ingram, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, had a pair of 1-yard touchdown runs in the third quarter.

Richardson had a 5-yard scoring pass in the fourth quarter to go with his long run in the third.

"We crumbled in the second half,'' said UT linebacker Nick Reveiz.

"It seems to be a story that keeps coming.''

It did have a familiar ring.

In September, UT fought then-No. 7 Oregon to a 13-13 halftime draw, only to see the Ducks roar away to win 48-13.

Alabama piled up 536 yards of offense, including 326 in the air. Richardson rushed for 119 and Ingram 88.

"That's why they've won as many games as they've won,'' Dooley said.

"They've got two of the best running backs in the country and one of the best receivers and a big, physical line.

"So who are you going to put your energy on?''

Dooley decided to put a little of his offensive energy on freshman quarterback Tyler Bray. Bray played two series in the first half, to no avail, and then took over for good in the third quarter after Matt Simms threw an interception at the Alabama goal line.

The Vols trailed 27-10 at the time, but had driven for a first down at the Alabama 11.

On third-and-10, Simms was picked off by safety Robert Lester, who made a 20-yard return - which in turn set off an 80-yard scoring drive to pad the margin to 34-10.

"If we score there,'' Dooley said, "we're still clawing around, trying to keep pressure on them.''

Bray's fate was no better. In the fourth quarter he too was intercepted in the Alabama end zone by B.J. Scott.

Simms finished 12-of-22 for 117 yards. Bray was 5-of-14 for 39 yards.

The signature offensive stat for the Vols was Poole's 117 rushing yards that ended an Alabama streak of 41 games not allowing a 100-yard runner.

Poole was halfway there after his first-quarter touchdown.

On second-and-1 at the UT 41, Poole took a handoff, knifed through a hole and outran the Alabama secondary to the end zone.

Alabama responded, but only with a 36-yard Jeremy Shelley field goal.

The Tide took the lead for good, 10-7, on McElroy's 1-yard keeper as the second quarter began.

Shelley made it 13-7 with a 42-yard field goal with only 52 seconds left in the half.

That turned out to be enough time for Simms to rally the Vols with a hurry-up drive that included three Poole runs and a 23-yard completion to Da'Rick Rogers.

The only problem was the clock. Michael Palardy kicked a 33-yard field goal as the half ended to make it a 13-10 game and give Tennessee hope for the second half.

The first play of the second half, however, was a 38-yard completion to Jones.

It was only a preview of what was to come.

And what comes next for Tennessee is a trip to South Carolina, where Alabama earlier this month suffered its only regular-season defeat of the past three seasons.

Mike Strange may be reached at 865-342-6276.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Tru138 writes:

Pathetic.

gobigorange1 writes:

The clearest indication for me personally that all hope is virtually lost for this team: When you are at work and you check the score, seeing that Tennessee is within 3 with five minutes left in the first half, you still know you're going to lose and lose badly...

People can say this is a young team, that it's a learning process for players and coaches, that we should be patient all they want... the fact is this team is getting worse, not better, with each passing game - and the scary part is that the responsibility for that falls on a group of coaches that have shown a consistent inability to even make sure they have the right number of players on the field, to say nothing of inexplicable play calling.

I've already written off this season. I'm not crying about it, I still bleed orange, it's just a fact; and though I'm willing to give CDD and the staff through this point next year to make improvements and show legitimate progress, through the first half of this season I must say I am not impressed. I'm 50/50 on whether or not Hamilton's killed us for another three or four seasons at this point.

No offense to anyone who's still carrying the CDD banner on high, but idiocy is defined as doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result. If he doesn't know that you shouldn't run the same play a second time against a Bama D that stuffed it the first time, not sure you belong in D1, to say nothing of the SEC.

Absolutely horrible.

dwa7#337691 writes:

early predict:

Cocksters 33
UT 20
This year is really bad.....

born2ride writes:

This is the worst Vols ever.

Get rid of Dooley now. We can't wait. He wasn't ready to coach in the SEC. Another Hamilton mistake.

Orangelife writes:

Peyton manning for hc... Our only hope

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

we can't tackle, can't count, can't block, and evidently can't coach. I don't see improvement in the techniques our young players are using.

quit blaming Simms. Poole can't pick up a blitzing lineman, we run screens on second and 1 and lose yardage. And for all you guys who thought Palardy was the second coming, he has not yet had a kickoff reach the endzone and he is no better than Lincoln.

I keep hoping DD is the answer, but it sure seems like we aren't calling very good defensive schemes or creative offensive sets.

TSCinSFO writes:

Shows how stupid Hamilton is to hire Fooley. The worst coaching I've EVER seen. Vols are getting worse every game. What were they thinking by hiring this coach and paying him a HUGE raise over his Loser Tech job. This team is just plain hard to watch and other than Memphis, I don't see us winning another game this year. Dooley is not and will never be an SEC caliber coach.

Denvervol4life writes:

We are a terrible football team period. No excuses we stink and don't really know if we will beat vandy.

TennRadioGeek writes:

Maybe we can finally be bad enought that the president (hammiltons boss) will take notice and pull support. Right now he loves Mike Hamilton. Even thanks saving the fibber Pearl was a plus. Got to be kidding me. I also just got a call from UT wanting my annual donation. Guess is was just bad timing on their part. Or may someone in Knoxville thought we were going to win. Stands sure were empty. We used to lose. Now we play like a poor OVC team.

IT is Sad.

FIRE MIKE HAMILTON. He started the slide when he got in office. REfused to sign contracts with fat phil. He is an idiot

FIRE MIKE HAMILTOn

asand211 writes:

Good grief man. What a bunch of crybabies. If you had no idea we were going to be pretty bad before the year even began then you are an idiot. After what this program has gone through in the last two years would kill any program and we are exactly where I expected us to be. The way Kiffin left cost us recruits and players alike. The team is young as are the coaches. It wouldn't matter if this was the first loss the same old idiots would still be in here whining. In two years if we are still this bad with no improvement then I'll eat crow.

Volborn writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

early predict:

Cocksters 33
UT 20
This year is really bad.....

dont see us scoring 20. We haven't scored twenty against anyone except Martin and UAB. How about 33-3

SEC1 writes:

in response to Tru138:

Pathetic.

givehim6 writes:

In the first quarter when it was UT 7 Bama 3, I really looked hard at the score knowing thats the last I'd see UT ahead,,, I was right.

born2ride writes:

Tell Dooley we made a mistake. His contract was for just one year. I am sure he will understand.

TennRadioGeek writes:

in response to TSCinSFO:

Can I count on your vote to FIRE MIKE HAMILTON???

TSCinSFO writes:

in response to TSCinSFO:

BTW, I got lamblasted and called a T-O-O-L by making the same comments 2 weeks ago. Where are you T-O-O-L-S now defending Dooley. Cut our losses now and get a real coach. A 2 million dollar lesson learned the hard way.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to gobigorange1:

Absolutely horrible.

No offense, my friend, but from reading your post it is clear that you do not understand football.

Tennessee's problem, as has been written here and elsewhere hundreds of times, is a lack of depth. You might remember in our heyday that the Kentuckys and Vandys of the world would play us tough as nails for a half, maybe even be ahead of the Vols at intermission.

Then we would drill them in the second half and win in a blowout. We were doing that because we had depth and they didn't.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. We can play the best teams in the country tough for a half but our lack of adequate second teamers costs us down the stretch and we get blown out.

I think the team is making good progress. We're just playing a slew of freshmen in the positions where freshmen do not fare well. Note that Tauren Poole gained more than 100 yards tonight, the first time an Alabama defense has given up that many in 41 games. He did virtually all of it in the first half before our freshman line got gassed.

Yes, we're getting better. We just need a lot more players and a ton more experience.

Millisa writes:

They could have done alot better no sense it this at all.

pcshowtime writes:

fire Hamilton now not later,
If Cdd does not have a top ten recruiting class fire him to. (I know he had one last year he saved what he could from lame's class but we can see we are not burning up recruiting right now anyway.) He is our mike shula filling in til we hit rock bottom. He could not win at LA TECH why do we think he could win now and I am not talking about a winning record just a win. Well I say get rid of Hamilton now I demand my pound of flesh now..... I am tired of this phooey and the athletic dept will not get anymore of my money I promise you that.

gobigorange1 writes:

in response to asand211:

Third time this season Dooley couldn't even get the right number of players on the field dude. Third time...

I recognize this team is lean and inexperienced. I realize there's no depth, not a whole lot of talent all things considering, and I know just how bad Kiffin screwed us.

I also realize piss poor coaching when I see it, and a team that doesn't believe it can win. I'm hoping for the best, but the worst won't be a surprise.

CRFVols writes:

3 games at least now we've had issues with getting the correct number of people on the field. There's no excuse for that. Pretty poor play calling too leading up to the also bad call of a 51 yrd fg attempt. I also didn't understand covering J Jones one on one most of the game.

I know what our issues are, but I'm really unimpressed with our coaching staff thus far.

RckytopQB16 writes:

Though I admit that I thought we would not be a good football team this year, I dont think anyone thought we would be this bad. We can blame Hamilton all day but he doesnt call the plays and he doesnt execute the plays. Anyone that has hired people will tell you that the best interview doesnt always turn into the best hire.

CrankE writes:

Our coaching is been terrible.

Examples:
- 23 penalties in a row in the first quarter.
- Failure to go for TD with :09 remaining in the 1st half.
- 10 men on the field.......again.
- 3rd quarter, run on 3rd and 12!? (I guess we're setting up the field goal attempt.)
- 4th quarter, trailing 41-10 UT turns it over on downs inside the 10. (Oh NOW we're going to go for 6!? WTFF!?)

These coaches are really disappointing.

rockytopatl writes:

As usual, this thread proves we have the dumbest fans in the country. Geez, Louise folks!

Did you people think we were going to win? Lord have mercy!

It's not the coaches. We don't have the hosses.

asand211 writes:

Hell, let's just fire everybody. A fourth coach in as many years would be great for stability within a program that has had none for that long.

Also, excellent post by RockyTopAtl. You get it and the way in which the games have played out is as simple of an explanation if depth issues as can be put forth.

OrangeThunder writes:

My biggest thing is we aren't improving. Still having problems with the amount of players on the field, can't move the ball on offense consistently, play for the first half and come out in the second half and just lay down and let the opposing team score 25+ points. I like Dooley and want him to succeed but he has his work cut out for him. Unfortunately, I think we may only finish with 4 wins...I hope I am wrong. Still...Go Vols!

jaybirdvols writes:

early in 3rd quarter still in game we run 2 fly sweeps, run the ball up the middle on 3rd and 12, then ask a freshman kicker to kick a 52 yard field goal. with play calling like that the future doesn't look to bright. why not waive a white flag and head to the locker room. if you don't have a quarterback you can trust to convert 3rd and 12 start someone else.

everydayisorange writes:

I'll have to admit, I still think CDD is the man for this team, but maybe it is time to look for another offensive coordinator. The play calling in the 2cd half was terrible, and it begain at the end of the first half. UT had the ball inside the 20 with 9 seconds and 1 timeout but elected to kick a field goal. In these type games, aggressive play calling is needed and we should have went for the TD. All in all this team has improved in some areas but regressed in others. Time will tell if CDD is the right person but chaney has to go!

92volalum writes:

we are not improving and the defense is a joke... for cdd to say the film says throw it on us is an understatement..

if we only win one more game I say fire all of them including BP for being a DA and telling the recruits that he knew he was violating the rules but he thought he could get away with it... WTF is that... he should be fired for being a completed DA...

lets all pitch in a few thousand and fire all of them and start from scratch........ we deserve better than this phooey..lol

MH played it safe with cdd and its going to get him fired....... donations will fall with cdd at the coach... one more year of this play and the he is fired..

yes i have had a few drinks but i really thought we would be improving and we're not

Tru138 writes:

in response to SEC1:

Hey...if it works...

The7Maxims writes:

in response to TSCinSFO:

I agree with you, but there is no way we can have 4 coaches in 4 years. Dooley is gonna get at least 3years if he doesn't get into trouble off the field. Hopefully Hamilton won't make the next hire.

RickyHite writes:

That is the worst display ive ever seen. You can say the team is young but you can win some with young players . Not only are they young but also very very lacking in talent. The proof is on the field we are the worst team in the sec no kidding about it. Art evans may be the worst starting corner ive ever seen on any sec team .how does a guy with sub 1AA talent even make the team??

asand211 writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Did you people think we were going to win? Lord have mercy!

It's not the coaches. We don't have the hosses.

No, I think just the dumbest fans we have show up in here with the usual arguments of "we suck", "Fire everyone", and whatever other phooey they can come up with.

Hell, nobody enjoys losing and I was braced for it before the year even began. My hopes for this season was to get experience for the younger guys so they can mature into better players and produce a very good recruiting class. Right now we basically have young people and no one to fall back on which is why the Vols run out of gas at half time.

gobigorange1 writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Brother, my first football game at Tennessee was in '89 watching Chuck Webb and Reggie Cobb thrash Auburn's front four... believe me, I understand football. I also understand what a lack of depth can do to a team's ability to compete for four quarters. I wasn't expecting a win, or realistically even to hang tough with Bama through four quarters...

What I wasn't expecting was to see our coaching staff lining up on Bama's 35 and throwing on first and second down when we'd been running the ball with success, or then trying to run a screen to the weak side twice when it didn't work the first... or even making sure that we had 11 men on the field. That's regression my friend, and it's something you don't expect from an SEC coaching staff. They may be on a curve, but it's a much narrower one than the youth we've got fielding the ball. It doesn't inspire confidence.

The7Maxims writes:

in response to everydayisorange:

Yeah. Play calling was terrible. What was up with the back to back reverse sweeps to Gerald Jones?

asand211 writes:

in response to KingFulmer:

"Can not" is cannot so check your spelling prior to clicking submit. Yeah, Tennessee is the only team this year with penalties and personnel issues.

Florida has the same coach and they aren't looking too sharp either.

jaybirdvols writes:

dooley says we didn't run the ball good. you didn't even try to run the ball coach. poole didn't get enough carries early in the game and still went over 100 yards. your not going to run the ball good trying quarterback runs with a pocket passer, and running fly sweeps with receivers running sideways against alabama speed. look what happened to denarius moore.

TXVol11 writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Agree 100%....our youth is being exposed big time...we are gaining experience that will come in handy next year. Everyone on here talks about the mistake to fire Fulmer???? You must still live in the 1990s.....Get Real. Fulmer's ship hit an iceberg in about 2002 and never fully recovered. All those alleged great recruiting classes were busts and it took a few years for all the warts to get exposed. My only concern is whether our defense is really that bad or whether the calls are that bad or both.....can't catch a break on 3rd down and long...

west_tn_volfan writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Excellent post. These guys want to fire everyone every time we lose a game. Dooley has almost nothing to work with. Freshmen can't hold up on the o-line against guys that have been in a college weight program for years. When you are getting physically whipped, it doesn't leave any good options in your play calling. We need an off season to get these freshmen physically ready to compete. I see a team that can hold up for a half and then they are gassed. It isn't play calling in the second half of these games, it's the inability to execute due to fatigue. Why some people can't see that is beyond me.I don't think Dooley can be judged on this season because there are just too many out manned guys on this team.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to TheBlue:

You're already a certified idiot... no need to keep proving it.

Slystone writes:

in response to asand211:

Firing Dooley is definitely not the answer, but fans are losing confidence in him and his staff because there is no improvement seen game to game. The current recruiting class (although not finished) doesn't give anyone that warm fuzzy like next year is going to be great. Depth issue may get better next season, but you have to have talent and UT is lacking in that area right now. By the time the Vols get to Memphis and finally get a win can we say that's something to really cheer about?

whistlinwingman writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Agree totally.

RaineyVol writes:

I am embarrassed .. EMBARRASSED to be a Vol fan! PATHETIC! we will go 2-10.. most Pathetic team in football!!

tnluv2play writes:

What rocket scientist decided to put Bray in so early in the game? What was *that* about? Trying to gain experience during the Alabama game? Give me a break.

We can't put the right number of players on the field and we're not seeing improvement from game to game. Sad.

al2476 writes:

Fire Hamilton, I said this at the first of the year. He should never have fired Phil. We are worse off now than I have ever seen. I have been following UT football for 60 years and this is awful. FIRE HAMILTON !!!!!!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to TSCinSFO:

Sure, explain how firing Dooley NOW would cut any losses?

walt2010 writes:

Here's a little context: the four recruiting classes (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007) Alabama had on the field Saban's first year had been ranked #19, #16, #18, and #17; so they had zero top ten classes on the field his first year. How did that team compare to this Vol team, that currently has three top ten classes on the field including a #5? They lost to La. Monroe; but they also wiped the field with us though we had the #5 class that year, and they went to a bowl. Then of course a year later they played in a BCS bowl.

Georgia State's football program is in its inaugural season. They have ONE class of players, mostly freshmen; and they're 5-3 and took Jacksonville State, who beat Ole Miss, to overtime. That's good coaching; this most decidedly is not.

I believe Dooley may one day, in five or ten years, make a decent coach; I for one am not for watching him learn on the job with the Vols. Hamilton should be fired yesterday.

volfan_gatorhater writes:

I am not sure that Hamilton is "in it to win it" - so to speak. I believe he is more obsessed with making a profit. Maybe the only coaches we could convince to come to Tennessee were Lame and Dudley-Do-Wrong because we weren't offering the right compensation packages. When OK and AL are paying their HC's close to 4 mill if not more and CDD is making 1.5 mil, I have to wonder. In hindsite, we probably should have offered Kipp a 1 year and conducted a proper search. I am interested to see how well La Tech does this year with a new staff (currently they are 1 win away from matching CDD's 2009 win total). Let the beatings begin, but on Fox Sports Radio, I heard Mike Leach say he couldn't wait to get back into coaching. If we act fast ....
...

1bigvolman writes:

You idiots kill me, coaching changes are what got us here. Some of you would fire coaches until we can't even field a team. I told you this would happen when you wanted Fulmer out, now we have to go through the cycle. dooley will be fine, but it will take 2 to 3 years, not a few short months.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to 1bigvolman:

Dude, we live in a fast-food society. We expect everything to go our way all the time. When we change coaches, we expect to win the SEC the next year. Away with your outdated thinking!! LOL