Dooley compares Vols to Germans awaiting American invasion

Vols like the Germans at Normandy during WWII?

Near the end of a Monday press conference centered on his team’s youth and inexperience, Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley dug deep to find a real-world comparison for the 2-5 Vols.

He went all the way back to World War II on “D-Day,” when the Americans stormed the beaches of Normandy on June 6, 1944, in a battle that ultimately turned the course of the war on the western front in favor of the Allies.

He assigned UT the role of the Germans, and its weekly opposition as the Americans.

“Here comes the boats, they’re coming. You have the binoculars, and it’s like, ‘Oh, my God, the invasion is coming,’” Dooley said. “They call (German Field Marshall Erwin) Rommel — they can’t find Rommel.

“ ‘What do we do? I’m not doing anything until I get orders,’ ” Dooley continued, as he pretended to look through binoculars. “ ‘Have you gotten Rommel yet?’

“The Americans were the exact opposite. We hit the beach, and we were on the wrong spot. ‘What do we do? I don’t know, but these guys are firing and we better hide over there and blow some stuff up to get up there.’ They weren’t looking for (help). That’s where we’ve got to make that transition.”

Dooley then quickly apologized for potentially offending any Germans.

“I’m not attacking them, but that’s what happened,” he said. “You had one group, they weren’t worried about what the plan was and orders and all that. When the war hits, things change. You’ve got to go.

“You had the other group, and they go, ‘Wait a minute. They told us the invasion was way further north’ where we had the empty tanks and we were hiding (Gen. George S.) Patton out. ‘We weren’t ready for this, now what do we do? We better wait until Rommel tells us what to do.’ ”

Dooley concluded the nearly two-minute long tangent with a disclosure that his portrayal may not have been completely accurate.

“I hope I got my names right,” he said.

Andrew Gribble can be reached at 865-342-6327.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

spvol writes:

Achtung, General Dooley! Commit the panzers and the Luftwaffe!

thesharc#228787 writes:

KiowaVol writes:

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! 'Cause when the going get's tough...the tough get going! Who's with me?

-J. Blutarsky (big Vol fan)

orangecountyvols writes:

Derek,

I'm with you 100%. However, even though I think I understand what you're saying, for now, let's get on with 2010 and forget about the 1940's.

For that matter, we've been hit with a 'blitzkreig' ourselves so far.

KFDLaw writes:

Maybe Dooley can host Saturday Night Live.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to KiowaVol:

-J. Blutarsky (big Vol fan)

Kiowa,

Surely you are kidding about the Pearl Harbor thing.......how many people are going to keep saying it was the Germans who attacked?????

CCLC writes:

Goodness... this is sad.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to KiowaVol:

-J. Blutarsky (big Vol fan)

I hope you are making a funny lol! the JAPANESE bombed Pearl Harbor. Other than that, I am with you all the way!

RichmondKyVol writes:

Forget the history lesson and just get our blitzkrieg going.

dvols writes:

he gets paid too much to just get up there and shoot everyone the bird....

NashvillePreds writes:

WTF?

So Dooley is Rommel? Greaaaat. Time to change commanders.

tomnncvol writes:

If compared to WW2, it seems like to be more like the British who were bombed to pieces. Hopefully we will be like them and have the courage and determination to survive, fight back, and win.

stevefrommemphis writes:

Calm down folks. Maybe he's just using his mentor Saban's playbook. Remember when Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe in his first year at Alabama, Saban referenced September 11 and Pearl Harbor in his comments about the football debacle.

orangecountyvols writes:

Joe Mama and NOT-A-Vol,nothamiltonfan,

You two are the dumb-@@@@@@. Not every person watches your type redneck movies. Point is, don't make Belushi type statements.........just shows your mentality.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say soundbyte reporting....great.
Bones never lie.

Ironcity writes:

in response to osbymartin#581730:

Its hard for me to believe that some of the posters here have never seen Animal house. I thought it was mandatory viewing for all future college male students.

Floridacock writes:

Well, we all know how that turned out for the Germans. Poor analagy.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

Thought you were almost going to be a decent human for a minute...
guess-frickin'-not.

utfpmd writes:

I just watched the press conference video and it is freakin' hilarious. Actually a pretty good analogy.
It's good to see Dooley having some fun and keeping his sense of humor.
I'm tired of the losing also, but I had sense enough to know it was coming. Blame Kiffin and Hamilton if you're upset. Just give Dooley some time -- he will get things fixed.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

Those who can read, skip this.

Dooley is saying:
'we (team) don't make decisions on our own very well; we have to wait for someone to tell us what to do'.

See the 'germans' needed orders; the 'americans' did not. he wants his kids to change from being 'germans' who need orders to 'americans' who do not.

got it??

AtlantaTide writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read this...those guys think very much alike, even similar illustrations.

Note to self: avoid using illustrations involving any ethnicity, war, the holocaust, genocide, Nazis, infanticide, sexual innuendo, yada yada.

Seriously, DD has a great sense of humor. Hold onto him and give him his due time. He is NOT UT's Shula, I promise you that. No comparison is justified.

arkyvol writes:

i daresay that the germans gave a hell of a lot better account of themselves on d-day, rommel or no rommel, than did the vols last saturday night. i would agree that this fiasco is worth a "day of infamy" metaphor (except that it was no sneak attack-bama whipped 'em and made 'em like it). what sticks in the craw is the face saving, gift wrapped possession saban gave the vols at the end. offering a chance to make the score more respectable, and the orange couldn't do it. i've supported dooley (though i've thought the vols could have and should have done better), but he is ending up on the hot seat a lot faster than i anticipated.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to KiowaVol:

-J. Blutarsky (big Vol fan)

Some numb-nuts morons with no sense of humor will attack you for posting a classic "Animal House" quote in clever context. I once posted a Bill Murray quote from "Stripes" - "C'mon! We're not going into Moscow. Its Czechoslavakia! It's like going into Wisconsin!" - when our Hoops team was over in Europe, and I got blasted by dullards that thought they had to explain to me that going into Wisconsin and Czechoslavakia are quite different...

winbigvols14 writes:

in response to dvols:

he gets paid too much to just get up there and shoot everyone the bird....

Quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!Fell out of my chair laughing.....I'm sure that's what he wants to do sometimes.....

crutch1966 writes:

just beat the damn gamecocks. please.

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to shen24:

I did not intend to demean the 2007 accomplishments of the almighty Alabama Crimson Tide by implying that Tennessee is anywhere close to being in as good a shape in 2010 as Alabama was in 2007. I merely pointed out that Saban used a similar analogy.

And I do agree that it is only a game and that comparing football to war is a poor analogy. I myself had an uncle who died fighting in Korea.

In the meantime, maybe Tennessee fans should do what Alabama fans did in the early 2000s.

arkyvol writes:

in response to shen24:

good point about how mortal combat is not an appropriate analogy for football. it brings up another point, how hammy cheapened and diminished the long tradition that U.T. once had about limiting the retirement of jersey numbers to those lettermen who gave the last full measure of devotion. i admire reggie and peyton, but i haven't forgotten the difference between entertainment and sacrifice. i hope that when a better man suceeds hammy, one of his first acts will be to restore that honorable tradition.

KptVol7 writes:

This is not the first time Ive seen someone quote Belushi in Animal House and have someone go crazy thinking that there are Americans who really do not know who bombed Pearl Harbor... Come on guys go rent Animal House and watch it right away then you can get the joke...

FWBVol writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I now declare that anybody posting on the Animal House comment thread without having seen the movie are now on "Double Secret Probation."

Those who have seen the movie and those who are Animal House fans will understand, the others will not.

I do love the way CDD is trying to put things in historic perspective while keeping his sense of humor.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to JoeMama:

Joe,

Ok my friend, I will concede to you that yes indeed, I did in fact watch Animal House many years ago. And I apologize for calling you a name. I don't rate that movie as an all-time great with Gone with the Wind etc........but that's okay.

You haven't been on here making a nuisance of yourself such as NOT-AVol...Nothamiltonfan. Vol fans have had enough of his negativity which rivals most any of the other trolls.

So, no I haven't been living in a cave and again, didn't mean the ill-advised comment made to you. The other person is another matter.

TommyJack writes:

CDD has a great sense of humor. Unfortunately, that lends itself to remarks by morons on this board. Female doggin, female doggin.

jgl#233810 writes:

1) I get what CDD was trying to illustrate

2) I suspect he knew he was going to catch flack for choosing this particular analogy before he even finished it.

3) I'm in the camp that doesn't mind the analogy itself but considering that lack of adequate training and/or leadership was also a significant problem for the Germans, I'm not sure that he didn't reveal more than he intended.

GoVols_16 writes:

I'm all for a little humor, and Dooley is a funny guy, but who's responsibility is it when game after game after game we see not enough players on the field or nobody guarding Julio Jones or 13 players on the field against LSU?

For crying out loud, these guys are young, but would this be permitted week after week on Saban's watch or on Meyer's?

I know that Dooley can yuck it up all he wants b/c he's got a huge buyout clause, but isn't he throwing his players under the bus? Isn't this the way to lose your lockerroom--make the players the butt of your jokes (i.e. coaching mistakes)??

I'm a Dooley fan, but I don't see much improvement in this area of the game & you would think they would have tried to shore this up pretty quickly. It hasn't happened. I do hope this is player inexperience when all is said & done...

thereturnoftriumph writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

ok, i am a visitor but that comment is off the charts.
feel for you guys. if it means anything the Vols hung in there for the first half.
btw/ i am scared to death about what UGA may do to us.
Meyer's black magic, Rainey (yes, i do not agree)
Witch Docter's bones, or a "tweaked" offense probably will not be enough.
i hope i am wrong but i think this is where
the s..t hits the fan as far as gator football 2010.
gator offense as of late has been like Bluto's
grade point average. 0.0
peace!
triumph

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor first thought this was a Tony Basillo article...it is on his level.
Bones never lie.

TennRadioGeek writes:

in response to Ironcity:

That film was released in 1978. The 30 something olds were not born yet. They don't even know about Regan. Let alone about Johnny Majors or heaven forbid they know about Bill Battle. Get real, most posters here think real football is on playstation and Dooley was only 10 when Animal House was released. Young pups.

FIRE MIKE HAMILTON

volfan4life73 writes:

at this point were more like kevin bacon taking the butt whoopins, and saying thank you sir may i have another. still just hillarious.

GvlVol writes:

After reading the comment boards for the last month, I have to say that this is the most fun I have had reading the commentary.

thereturnoftriumph writes:

in response to JoeMama:

Otis, my man!!!!!!!!!!

traderjoe writes:

Wow! Those kind of communication skills must serve the coach well with his players. It will be a big hit on the recruiting trail. Mom, I want to play for the Nazis..yeah, you know, that Kraut Dooley. I guess this explains why the team bombs after the half-time pep talk. They come out defeated thinking they are the Nazis and the rest of the SEC are red-blooded Americans.

skyhawk836 writes:

in response to AF1A4:

He was talking about handling things that don't go exactly as planned without needing guidance.

I've enjoyed a lot of your comments but I wish we wouldn't all analyze everything to death.

The analogy was on point and some of the Animal House references made in response are hilarious.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

I saw the movie "One flew over the coo coo nest" I don't know what that has to do with anything...but so is this entire article and comments.

VolFaninDC writes:

Uh, yeah...and how did it turn out for the Germans in that one? Couldn't we be the Italians?

uncle_loue#473937 writes:

in response to KiowaVol:

-J. Blutarsky (big Vol fan)

did you ever notice that during the disciplinary hearing with Dean Wormer there is a TN state flag in the room- but they filmed at University of Oregon campus.

RoadTrip writes:

This has been some funny phooey, guys! Thanks for taking me back down Memory Lane as AH came out a couple of years after I personally lived it! To celebrate I think it's time for a road trip in our toga's.

CDD is an absolute riot! He is using humor this year to lighten it up since everybody knows the team needs more beef and a lot of coachin' up. He will change his schtick to something else when we start winning again. Then we will hear the whining again about something he says that is not PC.

Go Vols!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Witch Doctor say pass the twinkies! lol.
Bones never lie.

Bigger_Al writes:

This board has really turned into a...

(wait for it)

"FOOD FIGHT!"

uncle_loue#473937 writes:

"my advice: start drinking heavily...

'trust him. he's pre-med.'"

Volencheaters writes:

At least he didnt mention you guys with the French. You do know what the shortest book in the world is right??? French War Heroes

Vol1983 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Kiowa,

Never watched Animal House, huh?