McRae has eligibility restored

Tennessee freshman Jordan McRae had his eligibility restored on Monday after being declared temporarily ineligible by the school as a result of his minor role in the ongoing NCAA investigation into the men’s basketball program.

“I just found out from the compliance department today that I’ve been cleared,’’ said McRae, a 6-foot-5 wing who has been allowed to practice while UT officials worked on reinstating his eligibility to play in games this season. “Put it out there in bold letters, please.

“Do you know how many times I was asked about that?’’

McRae was one of three recruits who attended a cookout at coach Bruce Pearl’s house while on an unofficial visit on Sept. 20, 2008.

McRae, who had made a verbal commitment to play for the Vols prior to the visit, didn’t know his presence at the off-campus activity was a violation — because he was a junior in high school — until he was already at the coach’s house.

“I wasn’t really too worried about it,’’ said McRae, who attended Liberty County High School near Savannah, Ga. “I knew it would take care of itself.’’

McRae is hoping the same will hold true as it relates to playing time this season.

Junior Cameron Tatum is projected to start at wing for the Vols.

Tatum, however, has missed the past two weeks of practice because of a bone bruise on his left knee.

“Jordan has taken advantage of the repetitions he has been getting,’’ Pearl said. “I’ve talked to Jordan about how important it is to handle success.’’

McRae was 6-of-12 shooting including 3 of 5 beyond the 3-point arc in Saturday’s scrimmage at Thompson-Boling Arena.

“Now, it’s how can Jordy move better on the perimeter for inside-out opportunities,’’ Pearl said. “And how can he do a better job of back-cutting.’’

McRae is one of the Vols’ highest fliers going to the rim in addition to being able to shoot the 3-point shot. Defensively, he has shown in practices he can block shots on the perimeter.

Junior Renaldo Woolridge is also competing exclusively on the wing. In addition to 3-point shooting range, Woolridge has brought a more physical presence and has been an effective rebounder.

Tatum said he expects to return to the court by the end of this week.

The Vols have six more practices, counting today, before they open their exhibition season against Brevard at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 3 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The regular-season opener is on Nov. 12 against Chattanooga at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Bone Returns: Senior Josh Bone returned to action in Saturday’s scrimmage after sitting out for a week with a pulled quad.

The 6-3 Bone, who can play shooting guard or on the wing, was back at practice again Monday, showing no ill-effects from the injury.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor sure some will whine about this for some reason.
Bones never lie.

nocleats writes:

TEFLON!

murrayvol writes:

Finally, a ray of sunshine in Mudville. Eligible at last.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor sure some will whine about this for some reason.
Bones never lie.

Sound judgement Doc. Let em whine til the cows come home.

RoadTrip writes:

WD is right about that! Whining is what some always do, no matter the story or situation.

The players will lay it on the line for CBP if the NCAA does not take him off the court with a suspension.

dyerbey#281598 writes:

They may whine WD but they have nothing to whine about. I suspect the NCAA knew they had to reinstate McRae. His crime was no different than Selby or Craft, they either had to reinstate McRae of suspend Selby and Craft.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor sure some will whine about this for some reason.
Bones never lie.

Surely something was swept under the rug. Don't guess we would be lucky enough to find out the "something" was our negative fan base.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Golly I don't know about lettin a cheater back on the court? JUST KIDDIN'
Yea Mcrae!

Bigger_Al writes:

My belief is that since Selby, McRae, and Craft were already UT commits, Bruce was taking them at their word and was treating them like part of the family, which is a big part of his Modus Operandi. This was a violation because they were still Juniors instead of Seniors. There were other recruits on campus that weekend that were not committed and thus were not invited to Pearl's house.

vol_4_fan writes:

Stay positive Vol BB fans. We are in a situation where the results are out of our control. The best way to support the Vols this season is stay behind the team & the coaching staff untill we know any different. I for one am glad that I have been forgiven & have had a second chances before. Let us all remember the results that we were able to achieve due to CBP giving second chances last year. There are no perfect people on this board or earth for that matter. Go Vols!!!

iLOVEtheVOLS writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor sure some will whine about this for some reason.
Bones never lie.

WD, you're right again. Hopefully, the rest of your predictions are as accurate. U da doctor!

Ironcity writes:

Right now the Sentinel runs with every bit of info they hear. So far 75% of what they print has been inaccurate. I think at this time I am going to wait until the NCAA tells us what their findings are. I might not be happy but somehow I think everything will work itself out.

VolsToTheWall writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor sure some will whine about this for some reason.
Bones never lie.

dude, i think you can make any statement and everyone will agree. its kinda impressive. its like....youre magic

CoverOrange writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

My guess is McRae said he didn't know and nothing BP or anyone else interviewed said any different specifically regarding McRae. Since the NCAA can't subpoena nor place anyone under oath they have to take him at his word. Different from case for the Craft's. They said they knew beforehand and they have pictures to prove Aaron was there.

Hounddog writes:

in response to vol_4_fan:

Well said, 4 fan!

Hounddog is ready for postive comments only.

I have a request for the Witch Doctor; put together a boiling pot of your special herbs,potions, roots and whatever you can't smoke... and pour it on this website. I suggest you put together a special receipe to make this place only accept positive comments.

True VOL fans know this type seasons come and this type season goes. We who have been here a while know...this too, shall pass

Pass this along to the Witch Doctor and help me ask him to make this a... NO NEGATIVE COMMENT ZONE!
Doctor some of these folks are sick with negativitas, they need your help!

Heck, I'm sick of them and need your help. Hounddog

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to VolsToTheWall:

Witch Doctor always bring the donuts!
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Hounddog:

Well said, 4 fan!

Hounddog is ready for postive comments only.

Doctor some of these folks are sick with negativitas, they need your help!

Heck, I'm sick of them and need your help. Hounddog

Witch Doctor say they gonna tempt us! Witch Doctor say it wont be easy and some aint gonna come back...Witch Doctor say we gonna have to train a bit, as in call each other out if we get negative. Witch Doctor lead your Army and smoke your herb!.......what we talkin' about? oh yea!
Go Vols!
Bones never lie.
(Witch Doctor being serious in Witch Doctor way......Effective!llol.)

thevoice writes:

Hmmm. Not asking any questions, just happy he's back.

Hounddog writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Go Vols!
Bones never lie.
(Witch Doctor being serious in Witch Doctor way......Effective!llol.)

Lead Witch Doctor! Hounddog has the point.

10-4 on the "calling each other out". By the words of our Leader, this is a "NO NEGATIVE COMMENT ZONE"!

Calling all TRUE VOL fans: Spread the words of The Witch Doctor!

Hounddog

TopTenn writes:

Sign the contract now, Bruce.

eduardo writes:

Hopefully the first of many positives for this basketball season. We need it!!!!

veinsoforange writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Finally, a ray of sunshine in Mudville. Eligible at last.

More like a McRae of sunshine! :-)

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

It's irrelevant now, at least as far as McRae's eligibility is concerned. So, ask someone else.

voloffaith writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Inquiring mind wants to know....let it rest. This will air out in the final nc2a incision in December. Learn from it young man and b better for it.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

I do not recall sir.And as to my personal appearance at the oarty ...I plead the 5th...Ammendment not vodka.

skm writes:

in response to UofTNFan:

i assure you that a lot of this so called "fanbase" you speak of is actually rival fans piling on. If pearl was unsuccessful, nobody would care.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Awe c'mon Iron Man! Can't we whine a little? Nobody in this country waits for anything. We go after it.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Hounddog:

Well said, 4 fan!

Hounddog is ready for postive comments only.

Doctor some of these folks are sick with negativitas, they need your help!

Heck, I'm sick of them and need your help. Hounddog

You misspelled recipe..recepee..uhhrecipe..yeh that's it I think. Actually I just liked your comments and wanted to post them aggain.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

aggain -means to repeat. dejavou!? dittoonly it's spelled again not using the g "aggain"

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Woh look at all these comments I've done!!!!! sorry I'm gone now.

nicknack1 writes:

I've seen him play a few times and let me say, this guy is the next Chris Lofton, only taller and more athletic. McRae will prove valuable

Lizardgrad89 writes:

There was never any doubt that McRae would be reinstated. He went to a BBQ for goodness sake.

If Pearl hadn't gone insane and tried to cover everything up, this would have blown over with little more than some restrictions on recruiting visits next year.

Pearl's actions to the investigation, to me, were like the guy who gets a cop car behind him, and leads it on a high speed chase through town because the driver had a dozen unpaid parking tickets and was afraid to get caught. It made no sense.

Really, I don't understand why Pearl didn't just say "what's the problem, bbqs are legal", then just say he didn't remember the junior rule and be contrite. The staying more than 48 hours on the visit you blame on the hotel, and say you didn't realize early check-in would cause a problem, so on and so forth.

Why he tried to turn this into Watergate II I have no idea.

brod writes:

yeah! good news at last.

orangecountyvols writes:

PL3, Witchdoctor, and Hounddog,

Thanks guys. I was looking for something nice to read today and was glad you were there. Enjoyed your comments.

Hard to believe basketball time is almost here.

carbonzip writes:

In my opinion, Big TV, ESPN, and Sports Illustrated do not want Tennessee to be prominant in the NCAA Tournament. We are too big to be a Cinderella team and the rest is reserved for the Big East, Big Ten, ACC, Kentucky, and Kansas.

McCrae shot lights out in the Rocky Top League. He looks like a big time player.

kyvol98 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor sure some will whine about this for some reason.
Bones never lie.

A little off topic, but I now see you are picking up a little cash on the side!

chrisw2967 writes:

Im glad Mcrae is back and I had the chance to see this kid play in high school down here in Hinesville. Mcrae can score at will it seems like.I know that was high school and this is college but he can flat out play.

Hounddog writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Thanks SPELL COP! I was high on Witch Doctor's NO NEGATIVE COMMENT ZONE smoke!
BTW, don't you have any thing better to do? Like...get on your neighbors nerves! Come on... you really think they like you. Don't you?
Hounddog

kti5783 writes:

10/26/10 is the day my son was born and the day this article ran in the KNS. This is the first headline chose to put in the baby book.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Hounddog:

Thanks SPELL COP! I was high on Witch Doctor's NO NEGATIVE COMMENT ZONE smoke!
Hounddog

Hey! I like me. Isn't that enough?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Seriously..WitchDoc right! Too much whiney! Me agree! Me whine too much even. this is a different day so I'm allowed another post...so there!