Harris on early practice: 'I want to be the best'

Pearl begins pushing tempo, trademark press

Tennessee's Tobias Harris, left, and Jordan McRae, right, pose for the camera during media day while teammates John Fields, background left, and Trae Golden, center, look on at Thompson-Boling Arena Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tobias Harris wore a puzzled expression after being asked why he gets up each day for a 6:15 a.m. private shoot-around in Pratt Pavilion.

"Why not? I'd be getting up at 7 anyway, so why not get up one hour earlier?'' Harris said. "I go to bed early, like 10, so as long as I get that 7 1/2 to 8 hours of sleep, I'm good.

"I want to be the best.''

Various national recruiting services selected Harris as the top power forward recruit in the nation coming out of Dix Hills, N.Y., last spring.

But Harris knows a successful transition from high school into the college game isn't a given, and he views himself as far from a finished product.

To this point, he's shooting less than 30 percent from beyond the 3-point arc in live scrimmage action this fall.

"They've been good shots, but I've rushed a few and they've been in-and-out,'' Harris said. "I just need to keep getting up extra shots on my own. They'll fall.''

UT men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl doesn't seem overly concerned with Harris' outside shooting percentage at this point.

"Tobias is doing a lot of the little things you need to do,'' Pearl said. "He's understanding where to go, how to get open and he's asking good questions.

"Today he was 2-for-2 shooting from the floor, 1-for-1 from three(-point range), and he led us in defensive rebounds and fouls drawn.''

Tuesday marked the first day Pearl used the scout team against the Vols, and his first day inserting the vaunted Controlled Chaos press.

"We didn't create turnovers, but we did create tempo, and I'm going to keep pressing this week,'' Pearl said. "Today was also our first day with our scout team going. The scout team did win one of our 2-minute scrimmages.''

Senior walk-on Michael Hubert, seeing his first live scrimmage action since undergoing reconstructive surgery on his right knee in January and arthroscopic surgery on the same knee on Oct. 5, drained the game-winning 3-pointer.

It wasn't against one of the teams Harris played on.

"Yes, I was only 2-for-2 shooting today, but I was splitting time with Steven Pearl and our teams kept winning and that's important,'' Harris said. "I go into practice trying to find more spots and more ways to score.''

Harris said Pearl's trademark "Cutters" system is new to him, and he didn't do a lot of pick-n-roll in high school.

"Being the four at the top (of the key) creates driving lanes for me to go past a taller defender,'' Harris said. "It also gives me open positions to shoot the three.

"When I go in and drive, our five-man's defender steps up, so it opens up a pass to our five.''

Harris said the Cutters set was one of the things he liked about the Vols in recruiting.

"It opens the offense up for all of the guys on the floor,'' Harris said. "And it makes the defense move, a lot.

"I'd say right now I'm just growing.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Xvolfan85X writes:

Looking forward to seeing Tobias and the other newcomers. I think we will do better than 4th in the East.

phhome writes:

in response to Agent_Orange:

I think you may want to ask him if he wants to be called Toby, that's not his name.

AlphaMan1 writes:

I've been wondering lately why CPB hasn't signed his contract yet.

I believe Coach Pearl really is a man of great integrity (though like the rest of us, imperfectly so at times).

I think he's waiting to see what the NCAA is going to do. If he thinks it's too heavy a burdeon on the team, he won't sign and may leave at the end of the season. I very much hope I'm wrong. I, like most Vol fans, don't want him to leave for the next 100 years or so.

What do some of you think?

tlc3wp#268997 writes:

in response to AlphaMan1:

I've been wondering lately why CPB hasn't signed his contract yet.

What do some of you think?

It has been reported that their are a couple of sticky points Pearl does not llike. One is they have increased his buyout amount.

Shiggidyhappens writes:

in response to Agent_Orange:

Common to who?
Just because the name Tobias is not usually associated with someone of his culture, doesn't mean you have the priviledge to give him a name from yours.
Ever see "ROOTS"? If not, somebody please enlighten him.
Like dude said...he may not like that name...I sure don't. But in the end....
Shiggidyhappens, and you can't change that.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I CAN"T WAIT to see Harris play! He doesn't sound like a player that will drive the lane and fumble the ball when he starts to shoot...lol. I can see him dunking with authority or dishing back out if he needs. Sure he'll show some freshman inexperience but still he'll be great. If he and Hopson show maturity this year no one can stop them.

7654321 writes:

Bruce Pearl evidently needs to get to know his own staff better. According to Dana O'Neil of ESPN Pearl when asked about the infamous recruiting picture "went on to deny the barbecue ever happened when the NCAA asked, failing to not only recognize his own house in a photograph, but also identify Jana Shay, the wife of Jason Shay.
Jason has only been on Pearl's staff for 10 years."

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to 7654321:

Jason has only been on Pearl's staff for 10 years."

knew one of the trolls would have to stir the pot again. give it a rest.

NYvolFan writes:

in response to tlc3wp#268997:

That bothers me. I really do not feel Pearl is in any bargaining position right now. His old contract has been terminated, and very deservingly so. If like he says, he wants to be at UT forever, it should not be an issue. He's very lucky to have a job right now...period. And him not being under contract certainly will not assist recruiting.

utchuckster writes:

in response to tlc3wp#268997:

"It has been reported that their are a couple of sticky points Pearl does not like. One is they have increased his buyout amount."

Where?

Bubbanuts2010 writes:

You people make me sick, I'm saying is that this article is about Tobias, not CP. Why can't you people understand or read a article. This is about Tobias and not CP??? GBO

VOLDoll writes:

Tobias, you should have thought about that before you singned on to play for Bruce Pearl. Damn son, have you ever heard of a kid by the name of Scotty Hopson? Kid has definitelty not lived up to expectations under Pearl.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say you know somethings good when BOK is whining every other post. Good job!
Bones never lie.

rudy123 writes:

in response to AlphaMan1:

I've been wondering lately why CPB hasn't signed his contract yet.

What do some of you think?

It was announced on the radio today that Pearl not only had his base salary cut but he will get less money for insentives. For instance, if he
received a 5% bonus for us getting to the Final 8
last season, then this new contract has him at getting only a 3% bonus.
I believe that he will sign the contract. He doesn't have much leverage right now. If his contract doesn't improve in a year or so, then I expect him to get offers from programs that are down for now, like Indiana, St. John's, etc. etc.
If this continues after a season or two, then he may want a fresh start. Let's imagine he wins here for two more seasons, then his contract doesn't change. If offered a big contract with Indiana, then he would take it and run with it. He knows that he messed up but at the same time, he wants U.T. to appreciate where he has taken the program in the past 5 or so years.
Hamilton will no doudt, mess this up and we will lose Pearl at some point, UNLESS, we get rid of Hamilton first and a new A.D. will appreciate Pearl and make a real effort to keep him.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to Agent_Orange:

Great point! If he was smart he would've played for one of those two coaches so he didn't have to play more than one year in college. Playing for Bruce Pearl will keep him at UT for longer than one year.

AlphaMan1 writes:

in response to KoolAidKarma:

Why are you even reading this story, much less my post, if you're so against CPB? Go back to your Gator swamp (or is it your Wildcat perch?)

We don't need you here.

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to KoolAidKarma:

First I think you are an idiot to post something like this. It is so very close to, slander, defemation of character, and a few other thing's. Tobis if you see this think about:
Defamation of character can include slander (spoken derogatory statements), libel (written derogatory statements) or both. To constitute actionable defamation, the statements must be false and expose a person to hatred, ridicule or contempt. You also can sue if the defamation harms you in your occupation.

Read more: How to Sue for Defamation of Character | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2063889_sue-d...
You need to take this person to court for about $250,000.00 benjamins and teach him a lesson. Make him prove in court you took money and if you want take the one who says your were counting the benjamins. A court order to reveal their name, address, etc., is easy to get and show them you came here to play basketball and was not involved in any payoff. I will send you a copy of all of this just in case you missed it.
People like this should be barred from this site.

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to rudy123:

received a 5% bonus for us getting to the Final 8
last season, then this new contract has him at getting only a 3% bonus.

Hamilton isn't going any wheres as Jim Haslam is in Knoxville with his Pilot Coop. He throws too many millions into the BO Pot and he and Hamilton are "buddies". So we are stuck with Hamilton until Haslam wants him gone, then it will be an over nighter. Here today, Gone tommorrow!!

abnermc writes:

in response to KoolAidKarma:

Must like the Cutters set better .Why else would he turn down the cash from the Blue Coach?

tennrich1 writes:

BASKETBALL IS REVELANT IN KNOXVILLE AGAIN. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

For proof see all the trollers comments....

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Uhhhhh....I still think Harris is gonna be GREAT!!! But just for fun I'll play. Harris would be at Kentucky right now if he was after money...Not only does their history reflect some paid players but also they have actually had a few players make pro... sho me the money!!!
Now! UT may end up top 10 after all of this. Hopson matures finally and we may see top 5. A few others mature early and we WIN IT ALL!
Uhhhwhere am I? what happ?????????

txvolsfan writes:

in response to 7654321:

Jason has only been on Pearl's staff for 10 years."

No Point here!!!

Madkels writes:

Here's my take on CBP's contract. Hammy and Pearl agreed to show the NCAA UT's ability to self-penalize itself by cutting his pay and negotiating a new contract. This is with the hope that the NCAA will go easier with penalties and sanctions. CBP is sitting on the contract until he gets a better idea of what's coming from the NCAA. Once he knows for sure or has a better idea, he and Hammy will sit down and rehash any differences. I don't think that either party wants to dissolve the partnership. Hammy is happy with where UT basketball is headed and CBP is king in Knoxville, even more so with football on the slide.

HtownVol writes:

in response to rudy123:

received a 5% bonus for us getting to the Final 8
last season, then this new contract has him at getting only a 3% bonus.

First, Indiana just hired the Marquette coach a year ago (Tom C?). I seriously doubt IU is looking for a coach for at least 3-4 years. But I do understand your point.

Also, NO big school would hire Bruce in the nex year or so. The last big program to hire a coach in a similar situation to BP was IU. We all know how that ended. ESPN has blown up this situation with BP, as they do any time UT has a issue that can be blown up. No major basketball program will want to take a chance on BP because of his situation. Now if he comes out in no trouble and has another sweet 16 or better run, in a year it could be different. Honestly UT only kept him because he has built into the program they are.Without BP UT is drawing 10K fans a night at best.

GO VOLS