Fullback Cooper suspended 1 game for violating team academic policy

Full event details »

Tennessee senior fullback Kevin Cooper will not play Saturday against South Carolina because of a one-game suspension for academic reasons.

Coach Derek Dooley did not provide specifics about Cooper’s violation, and added Cooper would have to rectify whatever was wrong if he hopes to play Nov. 6 at Memphis.

“Everybody’s on the same academic accountability policy,” Dooley said. “Team hurts, team suffers.”

Freshman Channing Fugate will take Cooper’s place in the lineup, Dooley said. He has appeared in all seven games, primarily on special teams.

“He ought to be excited,” offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said. “One man’s bad side is another opportunity for Channing so we’re excited about giving him the opportunity (to) get out there and play. From a strategic standpoint, there won’t be much changes.”

Cooper has started six of seven games this season and has been a regular fixture in the lineup since the 2008 season, when he started 10 of 12 games as a sophomore.

Cooper has yet to carry the ball this season, but has six catches for 39 yards. On his career, he has 25 catches for 191 yards and one touchdown.

“When a fifth-year senior departs your offense, you feel a little bit of that, there’ll be pain on that,” Chaney said. “Without any question I feel comfortable Channing will step up to the plate and go compete hard and that’s what we ask all our kids to do.”

Cooper is the first UT player this season to receive an academic-related suspension.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

utvolz#637682 writes:

Get it done in the classroom or watch from the sidelines....

Volsfan94 writes:

This really stinks. our run game lost 20 yards now from his blocking.

HtownVol writes:

I want to see Channing. 3000+ rushing yards his SR year in HS. This kid should be pretty good. Hey, just another FR getting PT. Gotta love the future.

orangecountyvols writes:

2010 is going through a variety of things, suspensions, injuries, turnovers, inexperience, inability to count, just so many distractions. Maybe we'll get it out of our system eventually.

Is the game on television this weekend? Maybe ESPN 3 for people like me who don't live nearby?

With the suspension for Cooper, if worse came to worse, they could always have Johnson back there since he's been there and done that. Don't know much about Fugate.

FWBVol writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

The game is on the SEC network, which is basically the same group of channels that was the old Jefferson Pilot network that carried SEC football.

By orangecountyvol, I'm guessing you might be in Orange County, California. If you are in Orange County, Florida I know you can get the game on I believe, the Fox station out of Orlando. If you are in California, then yes, you should be able to get it on ESPN 3.

sampears writes:

in response to back2z1:

thats funny right there...lol

The7Maxims writes:

Must have been skipping class

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Do what you gotta do,CDD!!!

shulessjo writes:

in response to Volsfan94:

This really stinks. our run game lost 20 yards now from his blocking.

Please provide any "fact" that whatever you just uttered is correct?????

mountainbrook writes:

in response to back2z1:

I guess they don't want to show Florida losing to Georgia, South Carolina and Florida State this year.

tovolny writes:

in response to HtownVol:

I know Channing's grandparents...if genes has anything to do with it, he will score two touchdowns and hurt some linebackers. Check this guy's 40 speed...most of you will be surprised. Remember, he goes around 250 lb on a 6' 3" frame. Linebackers don't faze him. He might make a good VOL(wild)CAT option. I am excited to see how he does. I know he will be giving his ALL for Tennessee. Can hardly wait.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to back2z1:

Sweet! I guess that means a larger audience will be able to see you get spanked! Congrats!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to tovolny:

Yes, but does he know the protection scheme? jk

Vol_in_GA writes:

Do we even have a backup fullback?

Volsfan94 writes:

in response to shulessjo:

Please provide any "fact" that whatever you just uttered is correct?????

Well usually good fullbacks provide space for running backs. Therefore, running backs gain more yards with better running backs than with unexperienced ones.
Is that a good enough fact? I mean if you knew football and did not want to act like a smart ### to me, then you must have not needed to ask.

govolsbaby writes:

this isnt a big deal, we dont need a fb, we run the spread now guys! haha just kidding.
I did like what cheney schemed for bama.
I bet its what we will see in the coming years for ut since we have such good WRs why not?
It was more shotgun than i would prefer and I didnt like the jet runs but I say keep it. it looks cooler!

tovolny writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Yes, but does he know the protection scheme? jk

YES...as a matter of FACT he does. His coaches say he knows it as well as anyone on the team.
GET IN THE WAY (as quickly as you can) OF ANY OF THE OTHER GUYS ATTEMPTING TO TACKLE OUR GUY WITH THE BALL. Pretty easy, don't you think?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to tovolny:

Yep. Pretty easy. I'll assume you know I was making light of Jamal Lewis' freshman year and Fulmer's reason for not playing him early in the season.

abnermc writes:

What is Fla record in last 3 games?

tovolny writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Gee. Sorry pal, I didn't connect. But, I was just trying to keep the "lightness" afloat.

Jamal, uh? Missed it.

I'll be more careful reading your next post. We'll have some more ORANGE BLOSSOM SPECIALS coming down that Peyton Manning Line again one of these days...I can hear the train a com en...

Volsfan94 writes:

in response to Volsfan94:

Meant with better full backs.

cloudodust writes:

in response to abnermc:

What is Fla record in last 3 games?

Gee. I don't know or care but we can ask the latest Gator troll

lincolncovol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Yes, but does he know the protection scheme? jk

Watching our games this year does any of our backs know the protection scheme. Seriously, can't wait to see Channing get his shot, kid was a beast in his films I saw.

Halls3 writes:

The news here is UT actually has academic standards for football players. When I went there, under Fulmer of course, they actually would pay students, I know I did it, to take notes for the athletes. I made around $50 a week to do it which was nice beer money.

Halls3 writes:

in response to abnermc:

What is Fla record in last 3 games?

Florida's record needs to be the least of UT's players, coaches, & fans concern. I just want to pose a question really fast & see the response I get. As an outsider looking in, i.e. not a full UT fan but am from Knoxville, I believe UT is in emmense trouble not just the rest of this year but also the future. Here is why. Forget the team's record, ignore the fact they can't get the right amount of men on the field quite a bit (which is a coaching issue to be honest), & forget the freshman excuse. UT has now played 7 games this season. Throw out the UT-Martin scrimmage. From the Oregon game to the Bama game (both of which dominated UT in the 2nd half & it appeared UT quit against both), has UT improved & if so where. I see zero improvement. I'm not talking about scoreboard improvement either. I'm talking about football skills in general. Last year Luke Stocker, Gerald Jones, & Denarius Moore looked like NFL Draft locks & this year they look like they may not even get drafted. Last year Chris Walker looked like an All-SEC caliber player, this year he has been non-existant, as has Janzen Jackson, David Cooper, Gerald Williams, LaMarcus Thompson. These guys looked like studs last year & duds this year. So is this because the players don't care or because the coaching staff is less able to coach up players. I know no one wants to admit it & yes he deserves a chance but is Derek Dooley honestly the right guy for the UT job. Don't look at it biasedly either. Look at it in this perspective. He is a snake in the grass but Kiffin I don't believe would have ever let his players quit against Oregon or Bama for that matter b/c they quit in both those games. I know Dooley didn't want them to but they did quit. Dooley is a nice, trustworthy family man & I think an all-around great guy but is he honestly right for UT just because he is a nice guy. Fulmer was a nice guy but players began to quit on him towards the end & now he is working for CBS with no coaching opportunities waiting on him. Also, no one wants to here it but UT's recruiting class coming in looks weak, like it or not. 16 of 18 are no better than 3 stars. I know stars don't mean everything but notice that recently USC, Texas, Bama, Florida, & OU have shaped the college landscape & also have dominated recruiting. Sorry to ramble so I will just end in saying give me an honest answer. Has UT improved from the Oregon game to now & is Derek Dooley honestly the right guy for the job? If you disagree with me that's fine I just want an honest answer as to why so I can understand your disagreeing with me. I'm ok with being wrong, if I am, I just want to know why you think I'm wrong.

Snapshot writes:

in response to Halls3:

I don't think we will know if he can get the job done until he gets enough players of the right quality and quantity. We simply don't have the talent to compete with the top teams in the SEC for four quarters.

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to back2z1:

Can you say poor ratings. Hopefully there will be a Gunsmoke marathon on TV Land you can turn to at halftime while it will be obvious that the losing streak is intact.

johnrus1 writes:

The real reason we are so bad is not poor coaching or playing so many freshmen or lack of depth. The real reason we are so bad is Bob Kesling! Fire Bob Kesling.

winVol writes:

in response to johnrus1:

i so agree with u ,GBO

iadvol writes:

in response to winVol:

i so agree with u ,GBO

And to think Ron Franklin could have been the voice of the Vols after John Ward but we had to settle for UTs third choice behind Mike Keith and Ron Franklin. What a party foul!

EMBuckles writes:

in response to bankofdad3:

Sometimes, when I read these posts, my sides hurt from laughing so hard! Ha, ha! EWWWWW!!! Too much information!! EWWWWW!!! Hope his Momma WHACKS him with the magazines too! Ha, ha! Anyway, seriously, Dooley went to the University of Virginia where they do have some rather high standards, um, uh, more or less, and have an honor code as well even for athletes and fraternity members. I would imagine that he is going to be a bit on the strict side regarding academics. Of course, in other matters, the "People's Republic of Charlottesville" tends to be a bit more liberal than Knoxville, but the UVA tends to be a bit more strict about the academics so Coach Dooley will probably be strict that way too.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Another 5* prima donna not going to class..... Oh, he's a 3*. I didn't think that was possible.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

I hope people don't roast Channing when he misses a block or makes a crucial mistake. It WILL happen, he's just a frosh. But dude's upside is TREMENDOUS! May as well get him in there and let him take his lumps, by next yr he will be solid. There are a certain number on here that ALWAYS expect a frosh to just step right in and shine for whatever reason. It takes time, Cooper's absence will be felt. Channing has better hands and better feet, when he conquers the mental aspect he will be a BEAST!!!!

CollegeParkVol writes:

in response to back2z1:

Great, so that means the whole country will be able to watch the Gators lose all three.

VOLliven2it writes:

I really thought Coop was above something like this. He is needed on the field but like so much else this year we have to make do with who we have. GO VOLS!

hueypilot writes:

in response to Halls3:

A well crafted post, and I don't mind the length since it's all pretty relevant.
I too disappointed in lack of improvement. Very troubled with some play calls last week, running play on 3rd and long and settling for a 50 plus yard FG and two end arounds in a row.

Don't know if the quitting is due to rumored dissent or not. We can't know until we give him a few years. Just hope we don't have to start over again a la Alabama, LSU, Nebraska, et al.
I'm 64 years old and I don't have time or patience to go through all that losing .....again. I've not seen us win against a quality opponent in quite awhile. Maybe since we beat Cal in the opener several years ago. That's a long time between drinks.

knox37932 writes:

in response to utvolz#637682:

Get it done in the classroom or watch from the sidelines....

and NO road trips

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Pretty accurate post. HOWEVER;

1)The 06' and 07' UGA games were HUGE wins. That 07' UGA team finished #2 in the nation. We jumped on them boys as soon as they got off the bus, LOL.
2)The 07' Arkansas game was PRETTY HUGE! All we heard about was McFadden's 300yd game against the #1 national defense and soon to be National Champion LSU, and how he was gonna finish his hiesman campaign against us. Perhaps this wasn't a big win, but everyone in Neyland Stadium thought it was. Neyland was FREAKING ROCKING!!!!!!!

But I still see what you are saying. Good post.

Volunatic writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Yes, but does he know the protection scheme? jk

Poor Phil.
(Funny comment, though.)

Volunatic writes:

Halls3-- I agree fully that Vol fans only need to worry about Vol football right now.
I am always amazed when fans at Neyland will cheer WILDLY when Bobby Denton announces some other game score on the PA when the Vols don't have their own game won. Can folks really rejoice about any CFB score on a Saturday when Tennessee loses?

Volunatic writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Stars are irrelevant right now.
Cooper is the STARTER. Props to coach Dooley for doing this, even though the timing is terrible for the team.

Halls3 writes:

in response to Volunatic:

That is my problem with UT's football program as a whole. A perfect example is talking trash to the Florida trolls, most of who are trolls & don't represent the Florida fanbase as a whole, when Florida loses. Who cares if they beat UT. They aren't even UT's biggest rival & UT isn't Florida's biggest rival. Fans are becoming excited when the team plays close for a half against Bama, Oregon, Florida, & Georgia but still get beat handily. This is not UT football. I've lived in Knoxville my whole life, grew up in the 90s & early 2000s & this would have been unacceptable then. I know UT hasn't got used to losing they've only had 2 losing seasons since Fulmer was the coach. I know expectations are down, hell my expectations for the Gators were down this year because believe it or not they are doing what I expected, but damn guys this is UT football not Vanderbilt, UGA, or Kentucky. UK's expectations are higher & that's ridiculous. UT is a storied program that deserves better than their 7th choice for head coach. In a way the fans are a direct result of this but still deserve better. UT has a new president so IMO they should probably invest in a new AD this year, Fulmer or anyone else. In 2 more years I hope Dooley succeeds because he is a great guy in general but if not he needs to be released. UT is a great program & will be great again but right now I see them heading in the wrong direction, like Notre Dame has been the last 10 years.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Stars are irrelevant right now.

Well, if I posted it then it's relevant to me. If it were a 4 or 5* player there would be a gang of folks with their prima donna comments and 5* "me, me" comments. You know it, and I know it. My point being that many kids have issues.

As for your post, I think the article said Fugate will be the starter.

As for your post, when KNS puts you in charge, you can say what's relevant and what's not.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to back2z1:

That's a good one, ZZ. I really thought it was Miss. St. that took Florida off the front page this time, but if you want to blame this "lame article," that works for me.

Personally, I'd rather have the problem of a player not going to class over a threatening text message sender anytime. I guess your guy (Rainey) doesn't avoid the law as well as he avoids opposing defenses. Running many laps or stadium steps usually takes care of not going to class. Cooper, I guess, had to learn this particular lesson the hard way.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

As for your post, I think the article said Fugate will be the starter.

As for your post, it's a free country and I will continue to state my opinion about what's relevant (i.e.- the current depth chart) and what isn't relevant (i.e.- recruiting service "stars" given four years ago to current senior players).

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Volunatic, I understand your point. However, as a die-hard Vols fan, I greatly enjoy watching Florida lose to anyone. I would root for Florida only if they were playing against a team of terrorists. And I do usually take pleasure in Alabama losing, unless they lose to another D1 school that I dislike even worse, like Florida, Southern Cal, Texas, Ohio State, or Missouri. I guess, and it's especially true this season, that misery loves company.

volstokke writes:

in response to Halls3:

I really enjoyed this post. I hope Coach Dooley is the man for the job. We will have to give him time to establish depth. However I do have my doubts, mainly with his assistants. I'm not blasting Coach Channey or Coach Wilcox. I think Coach Wilcox will have success as soon as he gets the personel. I do agree that I have not seen improvement over the season which worries me for the future. I also was not a fan of the play calling against Alabama. I think we should look toward Trooper Taylor he should have been given the coordinator position in 2008. We'll see Go Vols!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to FWBVol:

FWBVol,

Thanks for the television help. Actually, Orange County for me is in Virginia. To give a couple of for instances..........we have nearby the oldest prep school rivalry, uninterrupted since 1900.......Woodberry Forst School vs Episcopal of Alexandria, to be played at Woodberry Nov 13, also Fork Union Military Academy is only 30 miles down the road from where I live.

Orange County is in Central Virginia, 25 miles from Charlottesville,60 from Richmond and 90 from D.C. but best of all 380 from Neyland Stadium !

Thanks again

ws3d writes:

@ Halls3

You are spot on! Coach Dooley signed on for a mess. It is not all his doing, but he will take the hit. Coach Dooley might have been ready for a coordinators job, but not head coach. Mr Hamilton will probably take the hit, too.

This was a desperation hire in the wake of two messy divorces and many Vol fans don't want to admit that.