Pearl setting lineup after final scrimmage

Time is running out on the Tennessee men's basketball players.

A scrimmage today will serve as their final opportunity to impress coach Bruce Pearl before he sets the starting lineup for Wednesday's 7:30 p.m. exhibition opener against Brevard College at Thompson-Boling Arena.

"After the scrimmage I'll set our starters and backups,'' Pearl said following Thursday's workout. "We'll probably be missing Brian (Williams) for the rest of the week, so it will be Kenny Hall and John Fields at the post.''

Williams suffered a sprained right ankle in Wednesday's workout, joining junior wing Cameron Tatum and senior shooting guard Josh Bone on the sidelines.

Tatum has missed the past two weeks with a bone bruise on his left knee, and Bone re-aggravated a pulled quadriceps muscle Wednesday and didn't practice Thursday.

"It was great going through the drills and practicing, just getting ready for the NBA D-(Development) League,'' Maze said. "I've talked to other guys who are getting ready for the D-League draft (Monday), and they've been running with their old teams.''

Maze said he's been impressed with the Vols.

"They are very talented, and they have a lot of depth,'' Maze said. "It looks like a lot of guys working hard.''

Pearl said the team still needs to work on improving its body language when things don't go well.

Tennessee cut practice 30 minutes short on account of Trae Golden and Tobias Harris needing to leave early to take tests, Pearl said.

"We also had three guys out with injuries,'' Pearl said. "That's why we cut it short. I wanted it to be short and sweet.''

More Maze: Maze told Tatum that he'd put himself, Chris Lofton, J.P. Prince, Tyler Smith and Wayne Chism up against the current squad.

"Cam told me he thinks the current team would win,'' Maze said. "I don't know about that.''

Maze said it's hard to compare last year's team to this year's.

"Last year we had a lot of seniors, but I see Scotty (Hopson) taking on leadership, and I'm really impressed with Tobias (Harris) and Jordan McRae. "I don't know who did the recruiting rankings, but (McCrae) will be a big surprise.''

McRae finished ranked No. 47 overall in the Rivals.com 150.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Ironcity writes:

Its going to be a fun team to watch. I really have no idea what the team identity will be. Will we press, will we be a half court team, will we rain threes or are we going to be a defensive physical bunch of bangers? I look forward to finding out.

desfpvol13 writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

LOL @ fair weather "fans". Must suck to be you. I'm excited about the basketball season; ready for another deep run in March. And I won't be missing a home football game no matter what.

POLOinDC writes:

I'm excited about both the men and the women this year. I just wish I lived in Knoxville so I could go to the games. I would definitely be a season ticket holder for both teams if I was local. You folks in Knoxville are so lucky and I'm very jealous...lol

Bubbanuts2010 writes:

in response to POLOinDC:

I feel your pain, I left Knoxville about a year in half ago living in the Knoxville area for 30 years now living in Northern Kentucky and miss going to the games my self!! And the fans are lucky enjoy it while you can UT fans. GBO

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

Hasn't Bobby really matured??

I see that guy coaching some day.

I like, too, that old Vols are welcomed back and want to come back.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

An odd twist:
Last year, Kiffin took a lot of heat off the football team with his antics. Everyone talked about Kiffin, nothing about the team.

In basketball, everyone talked about the off-court stuff, no one talked about bball.

Well, this season, Bruce is inadvertently taking the heat off a team that has a lot of 'meshing' to do to be good.

No, we probably don't have UK's talent, but we DO have talent. It will just take a while to sync it up and figure out who is good at what.

MidTennVol writes:

Think 10- or even 11-man rotation. Fresh legs at key moments. Finally (maybe/hopefully) an inside post game. Steady hand at the 1, shooters at the 2-4. Shot-blocking and more RB muscle at the 4-5.

All we need now is chemistry and heart. We'll know about that mid-January.

PennVol writes:

After most likely going 0 for October in football, basketball season can't get here fast enough. Should be some really good games in the SEC east this year.

vols1990 writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

mike hamilton has done a lot of good for this athletic department. figures that fair weather fans like you are quick to find fault in everything he does, but could never possibly give him credit for all the good he has done.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

I've been furious with Coach Pearl over what he's done. I've lost respect for him as someone who has the right stuff to lead this program in the future.

But I am a Volunteer through and through. It is easy for me to separate my anger with Pearl from my loyalty for this team and these kids. I will go to games to root for them, and I will tune in games to root for them. Win or lose, they are my team, whether I like the coach or not. This situation with Pearl is not their fault. All Volunteers should embrace this team and support these kids without reservations, no matter their feelings about the coach.

crappieking writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

CSF - What has happened to you? You used to be one of the classiest posters on here. You seem to have good basketball and SEC knowledge, and I used to enjoy your post. Yes, we have inmature, clueless fans on here that wouldn't know a classy post if it bit them on the rear, but you seem to have been affected by it. I don't expect you to respond to me, but healty, clean, poking fun is ok. Anyway, don't become a troll. GBO!

in response to crappieking:

Good point! I too miss the old CSF. Maybe someone has hijacked his screen name. Maybe things aren't going well for him these days. Hope his mood improves soon.

Looking forward to the season, on the court anyway. Like many, I'm a bit disappointed in CBP, but hopefully he has learned his lesson and the consequences won't be too severe.

BustaRhymes writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

I couldn't agree more... name one program that has improved under Hamilton... oh yeah, BB... but they cheated! Fire Mike Hamilton!

VOLDoll writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

Amen! I believe most alums feel the same way. It's time for Hamilton and Pearl to hit the road.
Obviously they have spent a great deal of time making UT a laughing stock. It's to the point where I hate traveling to away games because of all the ammunition that the home team fires at all the UT fans that travel.

The sad part is that the people in our circle knew Pearl was cheating so you know that Hamilton knew it as well. Get rid of both these losers! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wildcatbasketball writes:

Vol Nation:

I hope that this Pearl situation will pass and he moves on but it does not look good, time will tell, but I will say this, he has built the rivalry between UK-UT basketball and I hope that will stay the same regardless of the outcome.

Looking forward to SEC basketball this year!!!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to wildcatbasketball:

Vol Nation:

Looking forward to SEC basketball this year!!!

And finally a class post.
CSF could learn a thing or two from you. When these two programs are rolling it is something special when they play each other.

wildcatbasketball writes:

in response to Mule_Days_King:

And finally a class post.

muletownvol:

Thanks!! I just know that the SEC needs this rivalry to bring the SEC back to being known as a BB conference. Lets face it, the "Pearl and Calapari" competition is good for SEC basketball and a positive for our conference. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kiddin themselves, as much as UT fans hate Cal...

VOLKING writes:

in response to crappieking:

Yeah, it is sad that CatScratch is showing his true, immature colors now. At least we know he's an @ss and can give him all the attention he truly deserves...zilch. Now, he's just another loper-dope.

Razzle writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

What circle are you in? Tiger high jerk circle no doubt.

Ironcity writes:

in response to BustaRhymes:

Inviting players over to your house for a barbecue. What a horrible thing to do. Thats some serious cheating. I bet lots of players across the country were lining up to come to UT for some good barbecue I love our coach and I will stand behind him.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Thanks for the few good posts on here...you know who you are. LOL

vol68 writes:

"Former UT player Bobby Maze took advantage of an NCAA rule that allows former players to workout with the team, and played on the scout team against the current UT players."

It is good they are taking advantage of NCAA rules.

pvtoe writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

Stay home, we dont need fans, I mean people like you. Go Vols

pvtoe writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

You are a moron.

CommodoreCapital writes:

Pearl doesn't make it to 2011!! Any takers?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

You are mean...CommodoreCapital! I think you're wrong but I won't bet on it. If he's gone I'm guessing it'll be his choice. Where would he go that's a better decision? He'll stay for the pay and hopefully finish what he started building this program up to a yearly top 10 and Elite Eight school. Why,... does Vandy want him? Have you heard anything?lol

CommodoreCapital writes:

I think the post season ban that is coming will do him in with the administration. Mike Hamilton will try his best to keep him so he can keep his job, but a post season ban and loss of scholarships will ultimately lead him away. A smaller school will pick him up and he will finish his career quietly. Vandy has a good solid coach in Stallings and is slowly building Vanderbilt into a top 20 program. Each year the recruits are getting better and Stallings has no pressure at Vandy. good luck this year, it should be a fun SEC East.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I lived in Nashville when the great Will Purdue played. size 22 shoe I think it was. Vandy's my 3rd favorite team in SEC maybe 5th overall.
UTC UT Ga. Ga. Tech. Vandy now you have to admit that's pretty high on the list...way above Mumphis.