State's top prospect Antonio Richardson enrolled at Pearl-Cohn

NASHVILLE - Even though Antonio Richardson will never play a down for Pearl-Cohn High School, Firebirds coach Tony Brunetti expects to be involved in the recruiting process of the state's top football prospect.

Richardson completed his transfer from Ensworth to Pearl-Cohn on Wednesday during the final week of the regular season. His father, Lanny, and Brunetti said Richardson transferred for academic reasons.

"I think it bothers him not to be able to play (for Ensworth,)" Brunetti said. "His father brought him to a situation where he felt like I would guide him in the right direction because I've dealt with a lot of kids."

The senior will not be able play sports at Pearl-Cohn under TSSAA rules, which require a student to sit out one year after transferring within 20 miles.

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

NashvillePreds writes:

Orange will look good on this guy.

kyvol98 writes:

Absolutely, but you know the negativity is coming.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Wow! He had to give up playing in some games to improve his grades?...during his Senior season?! Kudos to this family for what had to be a very tough decision! Best to get this cleared up ahead of schedule. If he's that talented then it won't hurt his recruiting. In fact, I think most would see this as I do...positively! Come on to Big Orange Country!

VOLinAthensGA writes:

Just as long as the Germans don't recruit him first....

whippersnapper writes:

We need this big guy when the red army rolls back in here !

Antonio could be a big contributor to a line that's gonna be very good next year. Hope he's a Vol by then ! GBO ! !

gnm53108 writes:

Trying to remember...When was the last time we had a road grader offensive line?

2000...01...

Ayres_Hall writes:

Why couldn't he quit sports at Ensworth and simply concentrate on his qualifications there? Did he really need to transfer, mid-term? And, how does this new school and new coach equal better opportunity if NOT because it's easier with less requirements to graduate?

If he does sign with us, I hope he's smart enought to play in the SEC.

nocleats writes:

I had commented last week that I had heard grades would be an issue, and basically I was attacked. The scary part is at Ensworth you have professors not teachers, (most of Ensworths staff have PHDs) and a tutor system in place much like college. If he is struggling there, with all of Ensworths resources available to him, how could changing to Nashvilles most inner city public school be a good decision? The only thing I have heard is if he had bad grades this semester @ Ensworth, he would not be able to improve them enough. If he transfers to a public school, he gets a do over on this semesters grades as he gets a clean slate.

Bubbanuts2010 writes:

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

If he does sign with us, I hope he's smart enought to play in the SEC.

I would say a certain College Coach had a hand in this!! Cannot prove it, but it is a state that plays in the SEC and borders TN., to the south. It is a fact they want him, so a little bird came by and whispered in someone's ear have him to move to such and such where the grades are not as high, the courses are less and just by transferring his GPA went up immediately. Sure the coach at Pearl Cohn has had a lot more recruits than Ensworth and knows the SEC coaches. Just hope he is a BO Fan and can explain the whole picture of playing 4 years vs 2, maybe 2 1/2 in college or at least will try and explain the whole picture to him. I just hope that his future hasn't already been planned out, leaving out the BO. Time will tell and I hope his "gut feeling" is different than Adonis Thomas, unless the "gut" says BO. I also can see Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, maybe USC will use one of their 5, to be in the mix!! Let's hope he has been a BO Fan all his life and so is his dad!!

Prostar writes:

There was another kid a few years ago that turned everyones head. Moses Morgan or Morgan Moses or something. He was a nonqualifier and I guess has disappeared from the radar. I hope Antonio picks the Big Orange, but it's not a "one and done". You have to go to class and you have to make the grades.

Bloodrunzorange writes:

I know first hand that Ensworth coach Ricky Bowers is a good man. I wonder what his take is on this. Former Bama star linebacker Lemanski Hall is on the Ensworth staff. Did Big John Henderson go to PC High? Wonder if he is still connected.... Anyway GBO!!!

martinvol34 writes:

in response to UofTNFan:

There is no e in ridiculous! Just FYI.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Juzkruzin:

This is a Tennessee/Bama race, PERIOD. Most have thought he was a UT lean, HOWEVER..... This move has me puzzled. So did they not know until now that grades were gonna be an issue? I might be 1,000,000% incorrect, someone PLEASE correct me. But I just CAN'T HELP to think Bama has a hand in this.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to martinvol34:

There is no e in ridiculous! Just FYI.

Who cares? You know what he meant.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Just another reason why Devrin Young is TRULY the state's best player.... His grades.

DooleysOrangePants writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

If he does sign with us, I hope he's smart enought to play in the SEC.

Richardson completed his transfer from Ensworth to Pearl-Cohn on Wednesday during the final week of the high school football regular season. His father, Lanny, and Brunetti said Richardson transferred for academic reasons.

"I think it bothers him not to be able to play (for Ensworth)," Brunetti said. "His father brought him to a situation where he felt like I would guide him in the right direction because I've dealt with a lot of kids."

AND

Brunetti said Richardson arrived at a good time because Monday was the first day of the grading period for the second half of the first semester. But Brunetti doesn't like the perception that Pearl-Cohn will be an easy place to improve Richardson's GPA.

"He's still got to do the work," Brunetti said. "Nobody is going to give him anything. I feel like it's a slap in the face to us as a school. But Metro offers more opportunities for kids to get ahead if they're behind. They offer free tutoring programs here, out-of-school programs here that most private schools don't have or you have to pay for it and you can't afford to pay for it."

DooleysOrangePants writes:

btw, above is fron the tennessean, not me

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to DooleysOrangePants:

AND

Brunetti doesn't like the perception that Pearl-Cohn will be an easy place to improve Richardson's GPA. It is not a percepttion, but a fact that his GPA went up anyone with an IQ higher than their waistline should know this. My son coached in the Nashville School System for a while and it is funny how many middle school players gets a change of address between the 8th and 9th years of school, yet they never move just uses Grand-ma's, Uncle Joe's, etc address so they can play in another district. Morristown Hamblen East used to be the biggest violator of this in the state, until enough pressure was put on the school board that they set boundaries for each school East and West and they enforce it very strick. Sounds like Nashville will just let a kid transfer regardless of what district they live in and that is just teaching the kids it is OK to cheat to win. Reminds me of a coach we recently lost, Thank God!!

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to TIGERDAN:

And I couldn't care any less after seeing the unranked teams that had top classes and the teams in the top 20 that have been ranked low, like Oregon not having a top-10 class the last 4 years thanks to 'loser 3 star guys' like Lamichael James.....

Toughmeaness writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

If he does sign with us, I hope he's smart enought to play in the SEC.

Ensworth is no place to try to bring your grades up. It is a very demanding school like MBA, McCallie, or MUS. When you go to these schools you have no easy path. He was probably drowning in hours of homework every night. Pearl will be great for him and he will be able to salvage his year. The folks at Ensworth said he was a great citizen and support him totally.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to TIGERDAN:

And Tiger Junior High has signed what? The starting janitor from Memphis Melrose? The lunch lady from Bartlett? No, maybe it's the crossing guard from Bolivar Central.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

It was my understanding that Richardson already had decent grades, it's just that Ensworth is very tough academically and he was struggling to keep up with the workload.

Volsfan94 writes:

I go to a rival school of EHS and he wasn't even a difference maker. There was a soph named Cornelius or something like that who ran all over us.

PREDSFAN91 writes:

Let's hope Coach Dooley and his staff can keep Richardson at UT and get the VOLS back to Rocky Top! It bothers me when the media or fans speculate about academic issues of an 18 year-old...it is likely that most would not like being similarly scrutinized. Best wishes to Mr. Richardson and GO VOLS!

kd45music writes:

in response to VOLinAthensGA:

Just as long as the Germans don't recruit him first....

Man, that's the funniest comment I've heard on here in years! Good one! Book yourself into a comedy club. ROFL!

kd45music writes:

in response to whippersnapper:

We need this big guy when the red army rolls back in here !

Heil Dooley!

feathersax writes:

This whole thing STINKS. Be very leery, CDD.