Pregame: Vols vs. South Carolina

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The leading receiver in the SEC will be facing a new-look secondary.

Marsalis Teague's turf toe and a mid-week absence at practice by Art Evans forced Tennessee to tinker with its rotation at cornerback, and safety Prentiss Waggner appears to be set for a start there along with Eric Gordon.

That also elevated Brent Brewer into the starting lineup at safety for a secondary that will have its hands full with No. 17 South Carolina and sophomore receiver Alshon Jeffery today at Williams-Brice Stadium (TV: WVLT, 12:21 p.m.).

Jeffery leads all receivers in the conference with 37 catches for 645 yards, and the Gamecocks (5-2, 3-2 SEC) don't figure to hesitate to let quarterback Stephen Garcia test the Vols through the air.

On the other side, UT (2-5, 0-4 SEC) junior Matt Simms looked healthy and moved without limitation on his sore left knee as expected before kickoff and should start under center.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TLepage writes:

big pick by reveiz...

HtownVol writes:

Does the O-Line want to run block or not???

DebtisDumb writes:

I love Nick Reviez, nice call by Cheney on the play action on 3rd and two

TLepage writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Does the O-Line want to run block or not???

agreed.... but i am pleased with the opening drive.... turned a turnover into 3 points....

HtownVol writes:

I have a big problem with Wilcox. SC had the ball in the 10. 3 straight plays UT did not have a DB within 7 yards of the USC WRs. I cant stand this. They can play pitch and catch all day when we give them all that space.

I am not a coach, but I did play CB in HS. We can not win playing off the WRs every play.

Can the O-Line PLEASE run block?

HtownVol writes:

Please people tell me I am not the only one that cant stand our DBs playing 7-10 yards off the WRs on EVERY play. It is just insane that Wilcox keeps doing this. Every pass play they have a WR open. It dont help that we cant tackle Lattimore.

Offense had a great drive. 60 minutes guys!

AirForceVol2786 writes:

Good start for the offense. D really needs to step up. No more "young Team" excuses.

TLepage writes:

they have been driving at will, at least we are holding them when they get into scoring range....

HtownVol writes:

Good stop D!

Right after I complain Wilcox starts playing bump n run coverage on Alshon and it works great!

Thank You! Also, great tackle by Lathers.

DebtisDumb writes:

I hate when we "blitz" and our guys just kinda jog toward the QB. However, can't really complain, they have been in the red zone twice, only 3 points.

AirForceVol2786 writes:

We have a weak secondary and we get no pressure up front, I don't hate on Wilcox because you can't do anything without pressure up front!

TLepage writes:

big play!!!! Simms got drilled....

AirForceVol2786 writes:

Flag for the horse collar!!!

TLepage writes:

we get a penalty every time we are inside the 10....

AirForceVol2786 writes:

Do you hear that sound, its our balloon that just got busted.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

Coaching change...
after the season, some offensive changes needed.

I'm sorry, no way you have the same DE blow up four straight plays and you don't double him.

The kids play hard, but we (team, coaches) are just, well, football dumb.

HtownVol writes:

Dallas Thomas does not belong on the field today.

Our D-Line needs help in the worst way. You would think the recruits would be all over UT. If we can play even with all these top 25 teams in the 1st half I know that we will win games when we get depth.

RaineyVol writes:

AND we fumble game over already!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

Cheney should know better.

He (Cheney) is having a poop day...so is Poole, who needs to quit shucking and jiving and just run to daylight.

Final bltch:
D. Moore is now this slow?? He used to be a fast dude.

Okay, I'm done.

Another woulda-coulda-shoulda day.

TLepage writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Dallas Thomas does not belong on the field today.

we need good players with size too.... look at our starting DTs today..... we have some good young players, and they are getting experience... we will be better in the future.... this year is pretty much over...

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

This is too painful.............I feel so sorry for the team. First and goal at the 6, a chance to get ANY points and we wind up with nothin'. Simms goes back to pass and stands there waiting to get sacked..
twice, and fumbles. I'm sorry but whoever called that play after first and goal..........it just doesn't make any sense to me.

And predictably, S C calmly drives down the field and takes the lead. Our guys deserved better.

Groan.............as Forrest Gump said, "and that's all I got to say about that."

HtownVol writes:

Great throw matt!

Neal had some nice runs. And D Moore has carried us so far!

CDD has to deliver a great speach at the half for us to stay in this game. Come on Vols hold them in this last 3 minutes before the half.

DebtisDumb writes:

Nice drive, im diggin Neal and DaRick Rogers

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

Cheney should know better.

Final bltch:
D. Moore is now this slow?? He used to be a fast dude.

Okay, I'm done.

Another woulda-coulda-shoulda day.

and I do apologize.

I know the inconsistency drives CDD insane.

We've moved the ball (nice TD drive).

Let's hope for a decent 2nd half.

Nice job by Neal and Rogers.