Dooley won't change ... uniforms, that is

Vols amped about other teams' garb

Virginia Tech and Boise State showed off their new designer threads on national television on Monday night.

Based on the response from a handful of players on Twitter and Facebook, it was clear Tennessee was a little jealous.

On top of that, the team that made switching up its Nike uniforms a weekly spectacle - Oregon - is coming to town, prompting at least one player to go straight to head coach Derek Dooley to ask about some special adidas gear to try to stay in fashion.

"Personally, right now since I'm with adidas, I guess I like adidas," defensive end Malik Jackson said. "But personally, I like Nike. Especially Virginia Tech's jerseys (Monday), those were sweet. I like those, and Boise (State's).

"I asked Dooley today if we could have some jerseys like that, and he laughed at me. But, whatever, you can only ask."

Jackson has some experience in Nike gear from his time at Southern California, and he also wasn't even a part of the black jersey experience the Vols had last year when they thrashed South Carolina.

But to a man, the Vols have all raved about the chance to wear some special uniforms from time to time - a practice Nike has taken to another level this season with its Pro Combat line that was on display on both teams Monday night.

"The (players) actually love our uniforms and they wouldn't dare come to me and ask me for something like that," Dooley joked. "Let me say this, our players love adidas, first off. And they wouldn't trade adidas for any other company, and I think you could ask the guys that Twittered that stuff and they would feel the same way.

"That's kind of the 'in' thing, but I'm big on the brand. I didn't even recognize Virginia Tech. I like our uniforms, and I don't expect any changes there. I just want to go play well, so that's the least of my worries."

That means the traditional UT uniforms will be out as usual on Saturday night.

And also like usual, it's hard to predict exactly what the Ducks will show up in at Neyland Stadium.

"They're cool - (Oregon) is basically Nike anyway," Jackson said. "They're probably going to look sweet, but we have to play football.

"It's going to get dirty anyway, so it doesn't matter."

Laborious Day: All the Vols had to spend Monday's holiday doing a little work.

Right guard Jarrod Shaw pretty much had to do it all weekend to make sure he was back in time for this week's showdown with Oregon.

An injured ankle forced the starting lineman to spend as much time as possible with the training staff and a helpful girlfriend working on the healing process, which appeared to pay off with Shaw back on the field Tuesday and out of his walking boot.

"It feels great, man," Shaw said. "I'm ready to go. (Feels) real good.

"I was doing everything Sunday, I came in here and got treatment. I was here waiting for those guys to open the training room yesterday, I spent my whole Labor Day here. I had my girlfriend helping me out at home, helping me with icing my foot and all kind of stuff. I was just ready to get back out with these guys when we put the pads on."

Practice Imperfect: Dooley didn't hide his discouragement walking off the practice field Tuesday night.

And he also seemed aware it probably won't be the last time he doesn't get exactly what he wants from the Vols this season.

"Not one of our better practices today, and I'm a little disappointed," he said. "But it's pretty common for a young and inexperienced team. You've got to come out and do it all over again, and it's something that you have to learn. It's not easy, football is tough.

"You have to recommit yourself every week and you have to practice hard every week, you've got to prepare hard every week like it's your last and only game. I think that's something we're going to have to learn to do."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

KJVol writes:

Ree-lax Coach. The players and the fans want it.

allntl1#565211 writes:

Better teach them to dance with the partner they came with and let Kentucky be the bearer of the Swooshsticka

give_him_6 writes:

in response to KJVol:

Ree-lax Coach. The players and the fans want it.

Wanting it and doing something about it are two different things KJ. Coach wants the players to "Play" like they want it.

GBO

dvols writes:

until we start winning again lets try to keep it simple......throw, catch, run fast, hit!

OrangeDew writes:

in response to KJVol:

Ree-lax Coach. The players and the fans want it.

Not all players and not all fans want it. He's right, changing uniforms should be the least of his team's worries.

GreerVol22 writes:

I must admit, the flat black helmets were pretty cool, but the rest of the uni's are just fodder for EA Sports. Tradition is the word around Knoxville this season so don't look for anything radical....win 8 or 9 and that might start to change....maybe.

AWOLVol writes:

VT's uniforms last night were HORRIBLE! They were hard to read and they took the focus off the game at kickoff and made it some kind of misguided fashion statement. And did you notice? They still lost the game! Maybe, just maybe, UT's black jerseys could re-appear when a game falls on Halloween night (every few years), but other than that, let's keep UT Football about the Orange, not about some shoe company's fashion whim of the week!!!

nocleats writes:

All I know is that Va techs entrance (with the band, fans,cheerleaders, and team jumping up and down) was as exciting and cool an entrance as I have seen.. I got fired up and I dont like Va Tech!

VOLinAthensGA writes:

I know this sounds REALLY crazy! How about we come out in Orange and White and blow Daffy Duck off the field no matter what they are wearing....

NoogaVol55 writes:

I did like the Boise St. helmets. They looked pretty awesome with the big Bronco on one side.

orangecountyvols writes:

Here we go again...........gimmicks to try to win a game. Va Tech looked like an arena football team....
uniform wise. I will wager a lot of Va Tech fans today are wondering what the blackout was all about.
The heck with tradition..........just "go with what the players want." So that means just about anything, and IMO will only get you in trouble and gimmicks do not win games. They are won on the field and polka dot socks and ear rings don't win a game.
This is today's culture with a lot of the young guys.
They can have fun, that is fine..........but I am on CDD's side when he decides what is best and I hope Tennessee doesn't give in to gimmicks just because other schools think that'll be the difference in winning and losing. The only gimmick I want to see is a packed house Saturday night, fans making some noise, players giving more than 100% and getting after those waddling people called quacky Ducks.

Footvol2010 writes:

in response to OrangeDew:

I would bet more than 90% of the players want it. Just because the older UT fanbase thinks that changing uniforms up a little would somehow violate tradition (since when does tradition rely on what the team is wearing?) does not mean they get to speak for all of fans and definitely not all of the players.

nocleats writes:

in response to Footvol2010:

Try changing the style and worship music at church...

jesusvol4 writes:

The duds are not whats most important! Better focus on THE GAME.....or your duds will get KNOCKED OFF!

RandRams writes:

Jealous?? Really?? NOT!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Footvol2010:

You know, some day you will hopefully be one of those "older" fans. If Vol fans are not just Johnny come lately fans and can remember the seasons more than 5 or 10 years ago, they will remember what tradition meant and what our uniforms looked like.

As I said before, it's all about the present culture, but somehow I would challenge the "90%" figure of players wanting to look like Oregon/Va Tech type teams with what they wear on the field.

AppreciativeAlum writes:

For a non SEC game traditional uniforms make sense, although the Monday uniforms looked deliberately slippery. Are Adidas as slick as that?

69vol08 writes:

It wouldn't bother me if we tweaked the uniforms a little...however, I have to agree with what DD said "I just want to go play well"...that is what is important...let's focus on playing well...then we can worry about how pretty we are... GO VOLS!

RJ_Vol writes:

It's what's on the inside that wins games. The Tide won the national title last year preceeded by LSU and UF. Both have pretty traditional jerseys. All had ridiculous work ethics, talent, coaching, intensity and a desire to win. You can't print those things on a jersey or helmet. Build a program founded on winning the right way every week, and folks will put on the Power T for the right reasons.

196SVol writes:

I say we invest in a new Tenessee Tu-Tu!

RandRams writes:

in response to VOLinAthensGA:

Right. Tha',tha', tha,'tha, that's all folks!

RandRams writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

I'm with ya' on that NoogaVol55.

RandRams writes:

in response to Footvol2010:

I'm willing to take that bet Footvol2010. Maybe ol' KNS will create a (uniform change-for OR against) Poll.

RandRams writes:

in response to nocleats:

Try changing the style and worship music at church...

Now that's just plain funny.

Southland writes:

yeah boy, flashy uniforms wins games. Seems like Penn State and Bama's plain uniforms works pretty well for them. The different uniforms the Ducks wear have to be the ugliest garments in football. Wear the orange and white and play like winners.
Prediction: I hate saying it but barring a miracle the best team will win and its not us, Yet. Oregon is very very good. We may be better than I thought but still we have no real depth and no real QB, yet.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

Oh, those Cali boys...

Stepchild_nFL writes:

in response to nocleats:

I thought it was Hokie. Were they doing the Hokie Pokie or something?

VOLinMAHWAH writes:

If I recall, the only NEW uniforms in the entire SEC is Florida's new helmet they rolled out last year, and I don't think they used it the whole season. The SEC is all about tradition, and that includes the uniforms. Look at Alabama . . . look at Penn State . . . even look at that despicable school on the west coast. All the traditional powers have basically the same uniforms they've had for years. Sure technology has changed the helmets, shoes, etc. But the skin remains the same, as it should!

VOLS_and_REDSOX_4ever writes:

I'm sorry i'm pretty new to commenting on here, do we just let lil naffy dis our team and coach?

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to nocleats:

Try changing the style and worship music at church...

AMEN! GO VOLS!

Footvol2010 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

I think you're definition of tradition is definitely skewed. Tradition is the Vol Walk, the band's pregame show, opening the T, the Vol Navy, "It's Football Time in Tennesseeeeeeee" and the roar from that fans that accompanies it, and having the best overall college football experience in the country.

Where do uniforms factor in?

TommyJack writes:

in response to Footvol2010:

Where do uniforms factor in?

Now that's just a plumb stupid question.

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

I agree with OrangeCountyVols- VT did look like an arena football team. I did like the way the jerseys were cut close so there's nothing loose to grab onto. But Coach Dooley is right. Uniforms are the least important thing Saturday night. The basics of football are. Do those and the Ducks might throw their new feathers in the trashcan on the way out. Let's get after it Vols, you gotta want it every day! Games are won in practice, so give it all. I love Orange! GO VOLS!

DennisVols writes:

I liked the black jersery last year. That being said I would not want it to be the norm either.
Uniforms do not win or lose games, players do.
I am one of the old guard I guess. I like Orange on white at home. Never cared too much for the Orange and Orange.
The VA Tech uniforms looked a littler PSP to me. My wife said they were "cute". Want your team to be "cute"?
Put the effort in getting better, rebuilding depth and respect then maybe, and I mean just maybe consider some uniform changes. No way should this become a side track item with all the other important things this team needs to address this season.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

Footvol2010 writes:

in response to RandRams:

If you're taking the bet on 90% of the players, you would lose. (I'm not talking major changes, but Boise and VTech did look good).

I would be really interested in a poll of the fans though, especially if they could compare student fans to everyone else.

VolGrad writes:

Real football players should be a little more than irritated with all the talk about "fashion."

They play on the gridiron, not the runway- and in a stadium, not a ballroom.

Go Vols!!!

west_GA_Volsfan writes:

Playing football is what counts. Tell those players they have not yet won the right to change anything. Show us an 8 or 9 win season and we might listen then. But, winning MUST come first! GBO Vols 24, Quackies 21

UTByrd writes:

The uniforms don't play the game. It's best to keep focused on the job at hand. It shouldn't even be a story.
It makes me wonder how much money the NCAA get's from the apparel makers.
VOLS, leave the fashion statements on the walkways of Paris. Classy is cool, it's just a matter of perception. The only uni's you should be worried about are the opposing colors.
Go VOLS!!!!!

VolWoman writes:

I think we're in a different situation. We have a pretty unique color that we're known for. There are other oranges but not a true UT orange so changing that up takes away some of our identity. I liked the black last year but I wish the fans would show up in orange only. That shows the TV audience who we are. No one has to look to see who is playing because it's obvious it's the Big Orange. I guess that goes for uniforms too, except on the Halloween special occasion. I'm not going to flip out if we do something like that again.

I love CDD's "Twittered". It's tweeted Coach. :)

Chartervol writes:

VA Tech and Boise looked like they hired a crack ho to pick their outfits.

While we're talking bout ancillary items, has anyone else noticed what a cluster eff the band's T has become? We've got about 20 photographers blocking the route, KPD and THP lumbering along for no apparent reason, various celebs and boosters, and who knows what all.

It's time to straighten that mess out. Smokey, cheerleaders, team, staff. Period. And they ought to come out in two lines like the original plan, split at the drum major, and meet on the power T.

SoddyVol writes:

Three years ago when Georgia "Blacked Out" for the Alabama game, I kidded a co-worker that they really did black-out, They "Fainted" as soon as Alabama ran onto the field. Georgia fans were really high for that game and they fell flat. Remember?

TheU writes:

Are people really saying UT shouldnt change their jerseys because the SEC is "tradition". I guess that's why Florida, Alabama, and LSU have all used/using the Pro combats and Miss St, Arkansas, Kentucky and Georgia have all changed up their uniforms in the past 10 years.....Makes sense.....

Classof72 writes:

It's about big money and brand identity. Forget the college brand, let's use the team to sell shoes. The shoe company reps prowling the sidelines have to show they're doing something to earn their money. They're openly trying to prostitute the universities to be "Nike", or "Adidas", or "Underarmour" teams first, and college football teams second, or not at all. I don't care what the shoe company wants the players to want. My team wears Orange and White. Period.

I'm not interested in a shoe company football team. I'm interested in the University of Tennessee Volunteers. Go Big Orange!

Down_The_Field writes:

all i wanted was the black socks with the black cleats and i got it.

ditch the black trim on away jerseys and keep the rest the same.

TheU writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

all i wanted was the black socks with the black cleats and i got it.

ditch the black trim on away jerseys and keep the rest the same.

The black trim was added back in the 90s because people in the press box couldnt read the numbers on the jerseys.

I dont think people realize you CAN get and updated "hipper" style jersey for a game or two and still be Orange and White. I dont think UT should go black, blue or green but even a simple thing white jerseys with orange numbers but inside the numbers it looks like the Vol Navy on the river (see palm trees for Miami this year). It can be traditional yet a tribute to another tradition.

Chartervol writes:

I noticed Michigan called BS and took the shoe company piping trash off their jerseys. Good.

Class of 72 nailed it.

hardKnoxLife writes:

in response to west_GA_Volsfan:

They haven't won the right to change anything? How much sweat or blood have you given for the University of Tennessee? None I'm sure......yet you believe you have the right to dictate to them what uniforms they can wear.

I'm pretty sure they don't owe you anything.

Football is supposed to be fun for these kids, and if wearing some upgraded uniforms makes it fun for them, why shouldn't they get to wear them? It's a trendy thing in college football right now.

You're probably one of the faithful fans who went home when they came out in black jerseys against SC last year.

Just stay at home.

GO VOLS!

VolGrad writes:

They play on the gridiron, not the runway- and in a stadium, not a ballroom.

Next thing you know, someone will be worried about getting blood on his "fashionable" threads and petition to use the "old traditional" ones in the actual games.

'Gee, does this color make me look fat?'

"What the He-- is going on out here?!"

flatrock writes:

Virginia Tech and Boise State have outstanding football teams- but they have zero tradition.

When the traditional nameplates in college football (Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU, USC, UCLA,
Michigan, Texas), decide to mess with their
long and colorful tradition and sell out to
black unis, give me a call.

Tradition drives Nike and Adidas nuts. Leave the
gimmickery to the World Football League and the
USFL- oops, they aren't here anymore!

Note to Nike and Adidias, sell all the non-
school colors to the fans. Leave the brand on the field alone!

TheU writes:

Im convinced nobody here realizes that ALABAMA (the big tradition school they are) will be wearing Nike Pro Combat jerseys vs Miss State this year. You CAN make updated jerseys and till keep a "traditional" look.