Pope taken to hospital, checks out OK

Cody Pope

Cody Pope

Tennessee junior center Cody Pope was taken to a hospital Tuesday afternoon during practice, but there does not appear to be anything seriously wrong with him.

According to Vols coach Derek Dooley, Pope was taken in as a precautionary measure, but said Pope is 'just fine and ready to go.'

Late Tuesday night, Jimmy Stanton, UT's associate athletic director for communications, said Pope was released and is expected to practice today.

The incident was first reported by WNML, which said Pope was experiencing stroke-like symptoms when taken to UT Medical Center with what was later called a possible severe stinger.

When asked about injuries after Tuesday's practice, Dooley didn't mention his anchor on the offensive line.

'Not right now,' Dooley said when asked if he was aware of any new injuries. 'We always know more in the morning when everybody gets a little treatment.'

On his Twitter account Tuesday night, Pope tweeted, "Thanks for the prayers, I'm going to be just fine."

AlcoVOLic writes:

first read of the title made this article sound somewhat misleading....

VolinCalif writes:

You can't go easy and win football games. But just Dang!

andy112382#209793 writes:

It'd be interesting if they could capture peoples heart rates and blood preasures on here just to see how high they spike when reading the headlines that use on this site!

Weatherman writes:

A stroke is just a little more serious that a simple football injury. Thank God he is OK! GO VOLS!

69vol08 writes:

Glad you are okay! Go Vols!

Vol_in_VA writes:

The guy has got to start eating meat. This is what happens when you're a vegetarian and put yourself through this kind of mental and physical stress.

LiveFaith writes:

in response to Vol_in_VA:

Surely you are joking. I can't tell.

DannyVol writes:

in response to Vol_in_VA:

I totally agree. Meat is an irreplaceable source of iron, especially for a 300 lb. athlete.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

I doubt he was joking at all.

Factually it's well known that people that live only on veggies with no meat in their diet develope health problems 90% of the time unless they're taking very good supplements that are high quality and made by the very few good supplement companies.

There's certain nutrients that we get from meat that our bodies need but we also should never overeat too much meat either.

Cody...I'm very happy to hear that all is well with you young man and I look forward to watching you consistently push the ducks D backwards down the field all day long and help lead our Vols to the 1st huge upset of this season.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

whippersnapper writes:

glad you're ok 77 ! !

EZVOL writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

I doubt he was joking at all.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Actually you have it backwards. There are more things in meat both natural (saturated fat, trans-fat, cholesterol)and human induced (steroids, artificial coloring, preservatives)that are bad for you especially if you weigh 300 lbs. Check the American Heart Association website. This kid knows what he's doing.

iowavol writes:

The kid had a severe stinger - probably caused by a severe crash with a defender - which is probably a good thing for our defense. It has nothing to do with his diet. come on folks, let's look at the glass half full.

Mule_Days_King writes:

On a more serious note, doesn't Cody's picture remind you of Lorenzo Lamas?

Get well, big guy.

Down_The_Field writes:

nice to hear you're fine big fella.

now rest up, duck season opens on saturday.

77VolFS writes:

Glad you're ok Cody - Smokey wants to fetch some ducks Saturday and he needs the big anchor in the middle to provide a few. Will be one of the Orange Nation there Saturday cheering you on, big guy.

Brillovol writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

Can anyone take the boy to Ye Olde Steakhouse?

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

The medical staff recommended he try Duck a L'orange over the weekend.

iadvol writes:

i remember reading that bryce brown was a veggie head too. nothing wrong with it but prefer meat eaters during combat..nothing better than animal protein! tofu, not so much.

tnsportsman writes:

God Bless and thank you Lord! So glad you are OK Cody!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to EZVOL:

You are Correct !
GO VOLS !

hueypilot writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

You are Correct !
GO VOLS !

Moderation in all things. Pretty good way to go.

DancingOutlaw writes:

in response to Vol_in_VA:

Actually by eating things like red meat you put yourself at higher risk for stroke. A stroke afterall is an electrical short circuit of your body, and if you have a high iron content you make yourself quite conductive.

Digital5000 writes:

in response to LiveFaith:

Surely you are joking. I can't tell.

Your right; meat makes you healthy, not fruits and veggies. Come on.

The kid already stated he pounds food and protein shakes all day. I'd be willing to bet he actually get more protein and vitamins than many of the people eating meat.

-Enjoy Yourselves

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to VOLS_SEC_RULES:

The medical staff recommended he try Duck a L'orange over the weekend.

There you go Chef...and it fits in his diet. GBO!!

Digital5000 writes:

in response to DannyVol:

Vitamins and supplements. We're not in 1950 anymore. We have made advancements. Did you guys hear we landed on the moon? I think we can figure out how to get vegetarians iron.

-Enjoy Yourselves

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

It was good to wake up this morning and check the Vol news and have the news that he is gonna be ok..Now, practice hard(don't overdo it, though) and go duck hunting!!!

I agree with the others that say your body needs a certain amount of protein, but too much red meat can definitely do more harm than good because contains more fat in it..That is why I eat more chicken than any other meat..I eat a hamburger or steak maybe once a week and I eat pork every once on a while too..BUT I am also like Cody and like my veggies too.

He delivered all of the snaps cleanly to Simms on Saturday...Don't you know that Urban wishes he had Cody on his team...I would say that Brantley and Pouncey has spent extra time at practice to get the snaps down pat.

VolGrad writes:

It is silly to bring up this guy's diet. Besides he also eats fish, a good source of protein and omega 3 oils. I love beef and pork myself, but I am not naive enough to suggest it is the healthiest diet. I eat it because I love it, and so do most of you.

GBO!

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to AlcoVOLic:

first read of the title made this article sound somewhat misleading....

That's been known to happen to AlcoVOLics!

gatorhator4eva writes:

glad to hear he's ok.

shipperman#280095 writes:

I am waiting on Duke Deluca to blame Hamilton for it...LOL

givehim6 writes:

in response to DannyVol:

I agree, but hope he will be OK.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to Digital5000:

-Enjoy Yourselves

Cod Liver Oil and Tang?

VolGrad writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Cod Liver Oil and Tang?

ROTFLOL!

MS_VOLSFAN writes:

MEAT-- GOOD
VEGGIES--not so good
Now lets play some football....I dont really care what he eats as long as he is fine...and as long as he blocks for our QB and RB's so we can win Sat.
--GO big O---

cod liver oil and tang--not so good
Steak and tators--VERY GOOD

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Cod Liver Oil and Tang?

good one

ncvol17 writes:

911.. call in an emergency order to YE OLDE STEAK HOUSE...have a side of taters w/ that steak..

TeamXer writes:

in response to DannyVol:

Pope has been a vegetarian his entire life. He got that big being a vegetarian.