Reveiz says crowd will be 'our 12th man'

Tennessee linebacker Nick Reveiz calls for fans to make noise as they paly UT Martin at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Full event details »

Nick Reveiz has vivid memories of his first game at Tennessee.

"That was the first time I ran out of the 'T,' first Vol Walk - it was just an incredible atmosphere," the senior middle linebacker said about the 2006 season-opener against California.

"How much excitement, that's something you want to bring to Tennessee, that's something that, as a senior, you really want to see that defined about your senior class. It was very exciting, and I will never forget that day."

Ninth-ranked Cal ventured into a frenzied orange hornets' nest and left with a lopsided loss to a UT team full of questions coming off a 5-6 season.

Four years later, the defending Pac-10 champion and seventh-ranked Oregon come to Knoxville to face a somewhat mysterious group of Vols on Saturday night (TV: ESPN2, 7 p.m.).

Reveiz is certainly looking for the crowd to replicate the same atmosphere that left Cal shell-shocked.

"The crowd," the former Farragut High School standout said, "and this may be cliche, but they're going to be our 12th man out there. Oregon does a lot of checking at the line.

"They do a lot based on our look, they'll have a play, and obviously they've got to communicate that to every single player.

"We're going to need the crowd to play a huge role on Saturday. We're really looking for (Oregon) to have confusion on the field, and (the crowd) be able to take part in this, win or loss."

Darron Thomas, the Ducks' sophomore quarterback, will be making his first road start.

Cal's Nate Longshore did the same in 2006 and threw for 85 yards and an interception before being replaced.

UCLA's Kevin Prince made his first road start at UT last year, but the Bruins handled the crowd and an early 10-3 deficit and won19-15.

"A lot of times when you change a defense compared to what the offense is doing it's because they're moving formations, shifting guys, they're shifting people," Reveiz said.

"What Oregon does, they really don't change a lot of people as far as where they're at on the field, as far as changing formations. They just check (to) a different play. Again, as a defense, we don't really change anything, we're just going to stick to our call.

"That's why the crowd's going to be extremely important in causing confusion on that side of the ball for Oregon. We're going to need them to be extremely loud."

Special Attention: Oregon cornerback Cliff Harris took two punts back for touchdowns against New Mexico.

The scariest part about that for UT special teams coach Eric Russell is Harris is the Ducks' No. 2 punt returner.

"It gets your attention on attention to detail here and coverage and kick directions and things like that," he said. "If we're not fundamentally sound, they'll run right by us. That's what we stressed."

Oregon coach Chip Kelly called Kenjon Barner, his usual returner who scored five touchdowns against New Mexico filling in for suspended starter LaMichael James at tailback, the best returner in the country at his press conference Tuesday.

Barner, a sophomore, set a school-record with 1,020 kickoff return yards and had 420 all-purpose yards in Oregon's last two games last season.

Russell thought the Vols were "average" in the kicking game against UT Martin.

"I thought effort was good," he said. "Execution and some schematic issues wasn't real good. We weren't good enough to win in the Pac 10 or SEC with what we had."

Russell also said UT's situation at punt returner is still unsettled.

Patrick Brown is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jbocap writes:

Come on VOL fans....those who are at the game on Saturday...dont just go to sit quietly and be entertained....MAKE SOME NOISE!

We need to rock Neyland Stadium and confuse the opponent team at the line. We boast 100,000...we need to sound like it! GO VOLS!!!

whippersnapper writes:

MAKE SOME NOISE ! ! ! ! !

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

thanks for a good article from Patrick - again.

whippersnapper writes:

The fans can be a huge factor in the outcome of this game ! ! Let's give these guys a Big Orange welcome that they will never forget ! !

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to vol1:

Then have mommy leave your Backyardigans night light on.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

"mysterious"....I like it!!!

jjsteel writes:

in response to vol1:

BOOO!

RandRams writes:

100,000+ has got the players' back, in return give us ALL something to cheer & make LOTS of noise!!

Pluck those ducks!!!

10ECMATT writes:

so miss fans are fired up. off subject.

VOLtage writes:

I'm practicing yelling right now.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to VOLtage:

I'm practicing yelling right now.

I don't need to practice because I have that down pat...BUT I get what you are saying!!! LOL!!

sm1 writes:

in response to jbocap:

I agree. I believe the fans in the stands have an obligation to be the 12th man. I remember in '98, we never sat down. We stood and hollered the whole game (while TN was on defense). But that is on the East? side (the student side). In 2008 at the UT-BAMA game, sitting on the WEST? side (the old folks with oxygen tanks side), the usher actually asked me to sit down and be quiet, and I was only cheering my team. I tried to obey, but soon afterward, I still found myself standing and cheering. But by the 4th quarter I was surrounded by BAMA fans cheering. The usher said nothing to them; what's up with that?

jjsteel writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

you will have Rocky Top stuck in your head for a week...maybe more after Saturday.

NCVOLFAN writes:

Great game last Saturday. I would love to have a little more fan interaction in the game that goes beyond singing rocky top after a score.
I would like to propose that when the stadium announcer says first down we all say "Go Vols".
We really cheer and get loud when the defense needs to make a stop, and we cheer and clap when a first down is made, but I believe a chant such as "Go Vols",when prompted would be great.
Let's get the word out and start this tradition when we take on the ducks this Saturday. Go Vols

BornVolDieVol writes:

Crowd energy (good OR bad) in the stands AND at the Vol Walk REALLY DOES spill over to the guys on the field... isn't that why they call it "home field advantage"? MAKE SOME NOISE Y'ALL cuz ITS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL!!! Trust me people WILL FOLLOW in 1 fans enthusiasm!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Lets all hope when the pregame "rah-rah" dies down, we get to blockin' and tacklin'!

Maxims.

tapeworm writes:

UT fans will be the 12th man until halftime. By then, all the beer and liquor from the tailgating will have settled in and dulled what's left of the senses. Which, against the Oregon offense, is probably a good thing.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to tapeworm:

Aren't you just the funny little man. How long have you waited to use that line?

volfan8#549730 writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

Sorry Huey, This Vol fan shall not be silent. And the music you WILL be listening to is Rocky Top!

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

Poor Nick...his first season was 2006. I hope this season doesn't look anything like that one! I'll be cheering loud enough from my living room to help y'all out down there!
GBO!!

orangecountyvols writes:

The trolls have spoken.............listentothemusic and tapeworm.

Two idiots who end up with the same intelligent results they began with..........ZERO.

Zero intellect.............

ETownVol writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Maxims.

Amen, pd! The Maxims are like Witchy's bones... they never lie.

mrvol2u writes:

in response to tapeworm:

Why don't you ascend back up the orifice from which you came.

We will be loud! We will be proud! Go Vols!

oskie_score writes:

Think CAL was intimidated??

The ducks have never witnessed NOR felt the energy they are about to experience from 100,000+ crazed TENNESSEE fans!!

Neyland will rock from the chant, "PLUCK THOSE DUCKS!"

oskie_score writes:

in response to specquackular:

NOT relevant!! NEXT...

mrvol2u writes:

in response to specquackular:

Are you UCLA? No. You are just another NIKE product line. We will be loud and no matter the result, I will be in the stands till the end as always.

Go Vols!

SoddyVol writes:

At 75 years old my wife thinks I yell too much. Some games You would think the stadium is filled with 95 year old who lost their voice. Fans need to be loud Saturday.

voloffaith writes:

in response to specquackular:

Some might say ewe are like the AFLAC duck that speaks and nobody hears.....

On topic ,VOL fans will be loud and I'm paying big bucks to have the yelling from my living room in S.C. piped into Neyland to support those in attendance. OK not really ,but I'll be thar in Vol spirit pulling for the VOLS reardless of outcome.

Brillovol writes:

in response to VOLtage:

I'm practicing yelling right now.

Just don't get hoarse before Sat. Stretch those vocal cords!

volrush17#609372 writes:

M R Ducks
M R Not
M R Vittles!!
Whack da Quack!!!
birdshot'll do!!
Dooley goin up a Hollar
Dooley tryin make a dollar
Dooley give me a swaller
& i'll pay ya back some day!!
It's an Orange & White Thang-ya don't understand
DON'T ASK

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to sm1:

Yeah, whats up with them not telling the Bama fans to shut up?

I, too was at all of our 98 games--the big ones anyway--FL, Bama, and Ark, and OUR CROWD helpled win them games.

I say, stand and scream for 3 or more hours if needed to win the dang ball game.

GBO

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to tapeworm:

Go back to Tuscaloosa please. (And I'm gettin liquored up anyway, win or lose.)

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to specquackular:

From Wiki:

Autzen Stadium Capacity - 53,800

Neyland Stadium Capacity - 102,900

Translation:

We can get alot more liquored-up rednecks screaming at the same time than you can. And, win or lose, get used to hearing this many times (sung loudly by the aforementioned liquored up 100,000 Rednecks)

Rocky Top, You'll always be
Home Sweet Home to Me
Good Ole Rocky Top
Rocky Top Tennessee!!!!!!!

DUCKSSUCK!

GBO

tovolny writes:

Well, we can't kick a kickoff beyond the 15 yard line. I hope we just do on-side kicks all night. (((Not a bad idea considering our short leg)))
Cunningham has not made the grade...where is Palardy? When and if we score a TD or FG, our kicks will be at the 15 and the Ducks will be starting at mid-field or probably closer.

I have seen games lost the past 3 years because of terrible kickoffs. Auburn, UCLA, Va. Tech.
The KICKOFF is our worst play. But, we will be lucky if we actually get to kick off more than once. I am excited about all the other factions of our game. Seems to be some promising talent lurking about. Folks, we have to keep complaining so somebody will put some effort into RECRUITING an actual SEC kickoff man.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

TO ALL CONCERNED FANS ATTENDING THE OREGON GAME: (Vol fans, of course, I could give a rats arse for Duck fans)

Nick Reveiz, the Defensive Captain of your football team, just asked for your help.

And I quote;

I say we give Mr. Reveiz and the rest of The Gang just what he asked for and get out there and

BE THE 12TH MAN!!

GBO

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to specquackular:

Hey Quack:

You know how you can tell if a dogs' from Oregon? Lift up his tail, and if he's got a big brown O underneath it...

We could all care ducksh132t about winning percentage vs UCLA! Try playing (and beating teams in our conference regularly rather than AZ State, Wazzzoo, and the rest of the Arena League/Pac 10.

War Volunteers
War SEC

Carry on.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to Brillovol:

Just don't get hoarse before Sat. Stretch those vocal cords!

I usually gargle with lemon juice. It helps.

And Bloody Mary's the day after we win.

oskie_score writes:

in response to specquackular:

If I OR anyone need explain why it's NOT relevant then you really are a quack.

Now off you go...waddle away lil' quack.

OrangePsyched writes:

Agree with you 100% RR. No Bon Jovi please. Tovolny...Palardy is kicking off this weekend. By the way Ducks we are playing on real grass this weekend. Your gonna get those Nike uniforms real dirty laying on your backs all night. We talk the talk and we'll walk the walk..ROCKY TOP!

10ECMATT writes:

in response to BigOrangeFreak:

And I quote;

BE THE 12TH MAN!!

GBO

You are correct sir. Go Vols!!!

10ECMATT writes:

I remember being at the ga dome for the sec championship in 2007. lsu played that song all night. That night was bad.

MarbleCitySon writes:

in response to specquackular:

DuckCountry writes:

Wow!!!! Come on Tennessee fans...really?? so many posts about how big your stadium is, how loud you are going to be. If that is the big talk you must not have a very good team. Autzen Stadium in Eugene is one of the loudest stadiums in the country and we don't have 100,0000 plus seats, so why all the big fuss about the noise except that is the only news you can talk about. Go Ducks!

ColPhorbin writes:

Those of you on the West Side (in case you don't know which side this is on, it's the side underneath the press box) the old people, either stay home and sell your tix to someone who really wants to bring it tomorrow or try making some kind of noise: clap, talk, rattle key chains, do something to add to the environment against the ducks... Don't just sit and observe, this isn't an opera or a play or a sit down meal, it's time to get nasty. Col Phorbin redux, setting it straight

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to DuckU:

My God. What an original burn. Why we've never heard any reference to Deliverance, inbreeding, no shoes, outhouses, etc.
Just like I'm sure you've never been called a granola-munching, tree-hugging, bed-wetting, left-coast lib whose day consists of protesting capitalism and smoking your latest batch of home-grown ganja.

Moron.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to DuckCountry:

Here's some news for you: Your team, while good, is vulnerable. To what you say? A team that pounds the rock and plays possession football. Impossible you say? Look at your three losses last year. Now tell me what happened those three losses. You were man-handled on the line of scrimmage.
What's a line of scrimmage you say? It's the area on the field during the game where your D-line got treated like prison b***hes.

Care to reply? I hope so.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to DuckCountry:

One of the loudest stadiums according to who? I'm sure its loud, but do the math. We can get nearly TWICE the fans in Neyland, and in case you've not been here before it's not flat like Autzen. The noise stays inside the stadium and you can't simulate THAT with loud music.

Go Big Orange! Whip them ugly-arsed uniforms off of Phil Knight's Nike-Arena team.

Big Orange 31
Daffy & Co 23

Brillovol writes:

in response to specquackular:

How far back do you wanna go? All-time, UT has a winning record against UCLA: 7-6-2. Oregon? A paltry 24-39. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a losing record?

PennVol writes:

Come on Vol fans! If you can still talk when you leave Neyland on Saturday night, then you didn't give your all for Tennessee! I can't wait! Welcome Oregon fans to the Taj Mahal of college football! Ya'll have fun singin' Rocky Top with us!!

gnm53108 writes: