Reality reigns: Oregon scores 45 consecutive points

Oregon cornerback Cliff Harris returns an interception 76 yards for a touchdown as Tennessee receiver Zach Rogers trails the play during Saturday night’s game at Neyland Stadium.

Photo by Michael Patrick

Game recap: UT vs. Oregon

Tennessee came to play Saturday night, juicing a Neyland Stadium crowd of 102,035 with an early upset buzz.

Then reality set in.

Seventh-ranked Oregon ripped off 45 consecutive points and pulled away to a 48-13 rout.

The longer the game went on, the worse it got for the Vols (1-1), who took a 13-3 lead in the opening moments of the second quarter.

The crowd that evacuated temporarily in the first quarter during a 70-minute lightning delay, exited for good in the early minutes of the fourth quarter.

"This shows us where we are,'' first-year UT coach Derek Dooley said after his first defeat.

"We played a real good football team, we had some adversity, we didn't handle it well and we got run out of the stadium.''

The 48 points were the most allowed in Neyland since Washington State scored 52 on Oct. 1, 1988.

The Ducks (2-0) sprinted away from a 13-13 tie by showing off their speed.

They burned the Vols with three touchdowns of 70-plus yards - a run from scrimmage, an interception and a punt return.

UT had jumped out to a 6-0 lead on two Daniel Lincoln field goals before the menacing weather cleared the stadium.

When play resumed, Oregon got on the board with a field goal. But UT answered with a nice drive that ended with Tauren Poole's 1-yard touchdown to make it 13-3.

But from that point, however, the Vols' offensive momentum dissipated.

The Ducks scored 10 points in the final three minutes of the first half and then put on a dominating display in the second half.

"We screwed up the last three minutes of the half in all three phases,'' said Dooley.

Oregon capped a 13-play drive with a 42-yard Beard field goal with 2:56 on the clock to make it 13-6.

The Vols then had a short possession (55 seconds) followed by a short Chad Cunningham punt (27 yards).

The Ducks took over at their 38 with 1:55 to play and twice victimized UT with passes to tight end David Paulson.

The second was a 27-yard touchdown lob over linebacker Savion Frazier.

The five-play, 62-yard drive lasted all of 51 seconds and it tied the score at 13-13.

"We didn't have a good look in our eye at halftime,'' Dooley said.

The look got worse as the third quarter unfolded.

Oregon's LaMichael James left all sorts of Vols in his wake on a direction-changing 72-yard touchdown run that gave the Ducks their first lead, 20-13.

Tennessee then drove into Oregon territory, but Matt Simms' pass under pressure was intercepted by Cliff Harris and returned 76 yards for a score.

Oregon led 27-13 with 6:27 left in the period.

That would be UT's only foray into Oregon territory in the second half.

"I think we quit after the pick-six,'' Dooley said.

The Ducks made it 34-13 when Darron Thomas hit Lavasier Tuinei with a 29-yard TD pass with 13:28 to play.

After a three-and-out possession, Chad Cunningham came out to punt again.

He got off a boomer but Kenjon Barner snatched it and raced 80 yards for a touchdown and a 41-13 edge.

There was still 11:39 to play.

Oregon pulled most its starters, but the subs couldn't be stopped either.

Remene Alston capped a 10-play drive with a 2-yard TD with 3:54 to play.

By then it was difficult to recall the details of Tennessee's fast start.

Moments after the opening kickoff the Vols struck twice. Poole took the game's first snap 31 yards to the Oregon 49. Two plays later Denarius Moore caught a 17-yard pass from Simms.

From there, three runs went nowhere and Lincoln's 48-yard field goal made it 3-0.

Barner fumbled the ensuing kickoff return and Prentiss Waggner pounced on the loose ball at the Ducks' 43.

First down was magic again as freshman Da'Rick Rogers took a handoff and ran 21 yards to the Oregon 22. The Ducks stiffened again and Lincoln hit from 35 yards to make it 6-0.

Then both teams were sent to the locker room.

When play resumed, Oregon's offense finally took the field.

The Vols forced a punt, but when the Ducks regained possession they marched 51 yards in 13 plays for a 37-yard field goal by Rob Beard to make it 6-3.

Tennessee wasted no time reclaiming momentum. Poole ripped off runs of 14 and 23 yards into Oregon territory.

Then Simms and freshman Justin Hunter hooked up on a 31-yard strike to the 1.

Poole budged his way in for the score and a 13-3 lead with 14:21 left in the half.

That's where it stayed until the final three minutes before intermission - three minutes UT would like to replay.

Oregon finished with 447 yards. UT had 333, only 89 of which came in the second half.

Poole rushed for 162 yards, 111 of them in the first quarter.

Simms was 15 of 29 for 151 yards with the one interception.

Oregon's James rushed for 134 yards. Thomas was 17 of 32 for 202 yards passing in his first road start.

"They have a great football team,'' Dooley said. "They have a great coaching staff and they've got a lot of class.

"I'm impressed with everything about them.''

The outcome marked the fourth consecutive year UT has lost to a Pac-10 team.

The Vols plunge into SEC play next week when Florida visits.

"We still have 10 other games to go,'' said UT senior defensive end Chris Walker. "This is a pivotal point in our season.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

utband00#235574 writes:

That was good.

RaineyVol writes:

we have a very youung team with a bright future!!

utband00#235574 writes:

Fulmer = top 3 in SEC East guaranteed...NOW?

NoSirRee writes:

W hung with them for a half. They're a top 10 team and we are not even close. No one on our team played horribly and the coaching was as good as the talent allowed. Let's try not to melt down. It's all just part of the rebuilding process

Halls3 writes:

in response to grvol:

Last week all the confidence in the world, this week none. You're a moron. How in the hell did you convince yourself that beating a bad UT Martin team like a drum meant UT would compete with a Top 10 team. Cunningham kicked the ball just as far as Palardy did after his first kick.

VOLKING writes:

Back to reality. Oh well, we'll be back. Eventually. Congrats to the Big O.

utband00#235574 writes:

Future is not bright. Things have changed. Anyone remember a non top 25 beating a top 10 5-10 yrs. ago? Athletes are better across the board. Recruiting is less impaortant. Coaching is now the difference!

Vol_in_VA writes:

At least we have a fancy new stadium!

andy112382#209793 writes:

It'll be a great film to workon throughout the year, lets face it Oregon is real good. Just look at last year and so far this year. For all we know we just played someone who is going to go undefeated.

Time to move on, make the most out of this game as possible and realize that the first half we made it hard to realize who the higher ranked team on the field was. Very young with a bright future.

GO VOLS!!!

Mtnbiker writes:

Future still looks bright, we gave O fits early...give a year or 2 and we'll have more talent and almost more importantly Depth.

Smokey91 writes:

I think we have to give Oregon some credit. They are just plain better. Better talent, better coached, a lot more experience. They knew what they were doing. I think we are young and with so little depth, we just got gassed when the offense started spurting. They look like a top ten team and we look like a team that is trying to figure just who the heck they are. Lick your wounds boys, learn from your mistakes, and get ready to face the Gators.

Ironcity writes:

Its tough without a good QB and poor depth. I was impressed with Oregon's tempo. the tempo really helped them wear us down. That QB for then is really good. Bright spots for the game, Poole, Hughes and Lincoln. Disappointments, Simms, Thompson, Oku play calling and still unspecial teams. Does anyone ever block anybody on a punt return?

DanH writes:

Hamilton has to go. He created this mess and he has to go.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

First off, I wasn't a fan of the Dooley hire. I still think that his hire was reactionary and not well thought out, BUT...I was impressed with tonight's effort.

Personally, I thought Oregon would hang at least sixty points on us and we played hard and smart for the first half. I know that a lot of the orange kool-aid drinkers have had to come back to reality tonight (anyone who thinks that we'll have an 8 win season is an idiot), but as for me...I was impressed. I'm not saying that I'm a Dooley convert yet, but after tonight, I don't think he is a coaching bust.

jarvol writes:

Reality is things are bad and they are gonna get worse when the NCAA slaps major sanctions on the football and basketball programs. At least that will get rid of Hamilton. Here is to hoping the Haslem's aren't dumb enough to hire Fulmer as AD...

ClarksvilleVols42 writes:

All isnt lost..at least the Huskers won..divided house sort of thing

jobrando#216494 writes:

History question. What vol qb's were replaced by the backup's during the season? I think Peyton did but who did he replace? Any others? Matt is just not an SEC qb but the freshman in the wings is not a Peyton either.

foglineduck writes:

in response to NoSirRee:

Spot on nosiree. You guys played nearly flawless football for the first half and had my Ducks looking like it was 2009 and they were at Boise. Your future looks bright indeed! When the tv panned across the stadium and I saw it was more than half empty I lost a lot of respect for the Tennessee fans.

utband00#235574 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Peyton replaced the starter at the UCLA game after he was injured (Helton?). Did ok. Not great, but ok.

ClarksvilleVols42 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Peyton replaced Jerry Colquitt (who blew his knee out 5 plays into the season opener with UCLA)and Todd Helton

TNPilgrim writes:

An early reality check - these guys just aren't very good. Hopefully they'll improve as the season progresses and avoid injuries. 5-7 looks pretty good right now. Hopefully they can be more competitive against the gators.

LovinMyVols writes:

Saw a lot of things I liked tonight. Long way to go, but I can see the foundation being laid.

USNAVol writes:

Tough going, but lots of positives nonetheless. However, watching from Maryland on ESPN2, I was more disapointed in the thousands of 'sunshine' Vols fans who withdrew their support and encouragement of this young team by evacuating the stadium when things began to get ugly early in the 4th quarter. I suspect that, for many of these folks, commitment and loyalty are words they reserve for the young men on the team, but which are far too troublesome to apply to themselves. Their support is only there when it's easy . . . and they disassociate themselves when the team is in trouble. Their loyalty seems to be fickle and shallow. Not something those of us wearing Orange should be proud of.

SEC1 writes:

in response to Smokey91:

Ha get ready for the gators? vols have not been ready for the gators in the last" 5 " yrs!! good luck with that

RussellP (Inactive) writes:

A good effort by the Vols. A bright future once this team gets some experience.

As of this writing, Virginia is still in contention out on the wrong coast, so don't lose hope. :)

Bogus writes:

in response to grvol:

Palardy pulled his groin. Idiot.

ClarksvilleVols42 writes:

in response to foglineduck:

Thats about the norm with fairweather fans..plus if youre some of them..traffic can be horrendous on I-40 back to Nashville

Halls3 writes:

in response to foglineduck:

This is one thing that did bother me. It's the 3rd quarter & you're only down by a TD & people start leaving. WTF! Be a true fan & don't quit when the game gets tough. That's when the players need the fans support the most. After this I don't believe 100K are at the UF game b/c what I saw told me fans are to ready to quit when the game gets ugly & who knows, next week may get ugly b/c UF is a very talented football team.

Vol_FAN_atic writes:

in response to grvol:

Palardy has a groin strain! Dont speak until you have all the facts. It makes you look ignorant!!

What killed us today are just simply two things;
1) and most important is depth.
2) OU hurry up offense took its toll on our lack of depth. Good game plan by OU.

If we had more depth for rotation it would have been a closer game. Skilled, expereinced players would help too. We will get better. This year is a learning year for sure. We have chances to upset a team or two still. Next year will prove to be much better in my opinion, maybe even better then I had originally hoped. I have to admit Dooley and staff are better coaches then most give them credit for. They will have us competing next year and in two years for sure.

BOOK IT!!!

VolnPikwik writes:

in response to grvol:

volsfan74 writes:

Well I am going to man up as I said I would, congrats to the Oregon Ducks and their fans. You have a great team and should easily remain in the top 10 all year. Good luck the rest of the way and do us VOLS fan 1 favor beat the tar out of USC.

rudy123 writes:

Well, (1) I see that we didn't wrap up on some tackles and they gained more yardage from that.
We could have had several stops but they ended up getting the first down on missed tackles.
(2) At times, we had them stopped but penalties got us.
(3) Had Stocker been able to catch that pass along the sidelines, he would have gained alot of yardage and we could have eventually scored or at least came a live again.
(4) I noticed what I think may be lack of effort on the 4th, but they could have been exhausted and I thought that it was a lack of effort.
Poole played well! I liked Hunters catch on the 1 yard line. Simms played better than I expected. Zack Rogers played better than I expected.

Tgordon writes:

I love, no actually I hate these snot nosed younguns who are still blaming Fulmer for our woes. If they were watching football instead of playing with their Barbie dolls (action figures) back in '98 they would know that Phat Phil took us to the mountain top. A place the program hadn't been for 50 years. The fact we haven't repeated this feat each and every year since ain't all his fault. The SEC is a hard row to hoe and all schools have down cycles. We old school folks can fondly remember when thumping Bama and the Gators on a yearly basis wasn't even fun anymore. These days will return given time.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to USNAVol:

I thought that was strange myself.

ClarksvilleVols42 writes:

in response to shen24:

We dont play Oregon next year tool!!

kd45music writes:

Too many weak spots to fix in one season. We are three years away from a run at a championship. If Dooley doesn't get it going by then, well, get used to mediocre seasons for years to come.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

do you mean for cause or injury? Peyton came in after injuries to Todd Helton and Jerry Colquitt. Casey Clausen came on for AJ Suggs who had replaced Joey Mathews after and injury. Rick Clausen replaced Eric Ainge after injury and then for cause. Daryl Dickey replaced Tony Robinson after injury. Sterling Hinton was replaced for cause. Crompton/Stephens/Crompton. Long list.

DiegoVol writes:

I am disgusted with UT fans. Barely starting the 4th Quarter and the stadium is empty just because people don't want to sit in traffic. If anyone reads this that was at the game and left before the game was over,Go find a new team you are not a VOL fan.

RichmondKyVol writes:

As bad as the outcome was, no one can take away the Vols' dazzling start. That shows we've got some real talent in a thin, inexperienced team. After we get more experience and depth, especially at QB, this coaching staff will get us back in the top 10.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Tgordon:

Some of us old timers have a differant opinion about the man that got us to the top. Granted Fulmer was the coach when it happen but Majors laid the foundation.

Vol_in_VA writes:

I don't think people leaving early is a sign of "fair weather fans" at all. You guys need to drop that. It's a culmination of what we have been going through for the past decade. It's not about sitting in this one game and supporting a young team. There is so much more going on than just "fair weather fans." People are exhausted from going through all this phooey. The good moments are just so terribly far and few between. Why do we continually put ourselves through this phooey? All of the fans knew what was going to happen if they continued to sit there and yell. Just more disappointment. More of the same that we have been getting for the past decade. Why bother continuing to subject ourselves to that?

volpreacher writes:

in response to SoCalGuy:

You're right. USC will be lucky to win 3 or 4 this year. Get a life. Oregon will beat you guys worse.

ClarksvilleVols42 writes:

in response to DiegoVol:

Read these posts every day and you'll dispise most of them

TNvalleyVOL writes:

in response to USNAVol:

remember that with the rain delay, it was getting really late...some fans drive home after night games...hopefully you can see the cons outweigh the pros of staying just for moral support...

EverybodyDuck writes:

Tenn has a good running game. I think they went away from it too soon. But, it was starting to get squeezed.

No way Fla beats you by 5 TD's. Now, go out there and win the SEC.

flafan2001 writes:

Open Letter From SEC Commissioner Mike Slive- I highly encourage you to withdraw from the SEC and join the WAC for the next 5 years and apply for reinstatement. You will be more competitive with teams like New Mexico State and La Tech. You only have to catch up to Boise State and Hawaii. Option 2 is to buy out the remaining teams the rest of the season.

andy112382#209793 writes:

I know one thing...I feel WAY better than any VT fans out there! :)

One game doesn't make or break a season when you are young and rebuilding a program back to greatness, just learn from these game and improve each week out and the rest of the pieces fall into place. There are teams that still have the jury out on them that we play such as Florida, LSU, UGA, Ole Miss, and I am still not 100% sold on SC given how they have a history of fading in the second half of the season.

GO VOLS!!!

luvmygn writes:

Let’s buy out everyone in the SEC. Powder Puff Coach, Team, and Athletic Director = Disaster. Wish we could play UT Martin at home 12 times this year.

Tgordon writes:

in response to SoCalGuy:

SoCal, I'd say most the golf you play involves a windmill and giant dinosaur. However I do peg you as someone who spends lots of time stroking your putter. Also be sure to check back with us late evening of Oct. 30th to tell us what happens to a condom I mean Trojan after a Duck is through with it ;)

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to flafan2001:

Open letter to Florida - want one of our centers? Apparently we have two that are better than your center based on how many bad snaps the gators have seen the past couple of weeks.