Scoreboard watching not good for Vols

Game recap: UT vs. Oregon

Derek Dooley obviously wants to come out on top on the scoreboard.

The Tennessee coach just doesn’t really want anybody looking at it until the game is over.

Dooley has tried to hammer that point home since the day he took over at UT, though based on the lackluster fourth-quarter during Saturday night’s 48-13 loss to No. 5 Oregon at Neyland Stadium, it doesn’t appear to have sunk in just yet.

“You should be able to turn on the TV and based on how we’re competing, you don’t know if we’re winning or losing,” Dooley said during his Sunday teleconference. “Sometimes players, especially nowadays, they get so focused on wanting to win that they don’t enjoy the competitive element of the game. They don’t enjoy when it gets tough how to fight through it, figuring out a way to find solutions to have success.

“So when I say the score doesn’t matter, I don’t mean in the fourth quarter you’re not looking up and seeing you’re down seven or six and we know what we’ve got to do. But I’m saying you’re playing without thinking about the result and thinking more about how to compete that play.

“What happens with our team is we get so caught up in getting behind, we start thinking about losing the game and we don’t compete.”

The opposite would have been true the previous week against UT Martin if the Vols (1-1) had coasted at the end of a blowout victory, but Dooley’s point was made much more clearly when they seemed to wave a white flag against the Ducks (2-0).

UT certainly proved it could compete with one of the best teams in the nation when it led for much of the first half and only trailed by 14 points going into the fourth quarter. But from there the offense stagnated, a couple penalty flags flew and the defensive breakdowns piled up as any hope of an upset disappeared — quickly followed by a chance to keep the score close by the time Dooley would have wanted the Vols to see it.

“It’s something that I addressed with the team when I first got here in spring practice,” he said. “I looked back and researched the games, and when were down 10 points or less, we’re (winless in the last seven games).

“We went into this game in the fourth quarter down 14 and we’re not even competing. That’s something we have to change, and we need to change that before we get to anything else — being able to compete for four quarters no matter what the score is.

“We’re so focused on the scoreboard, which is the worst thing you can do because then you get affected by the scoreboard. Good and bad. We got affected by the scoreboard, and then that affected our ability to tackle, to hustle, to get off blocks, to do our keys, to run the ball, to throw it, everything went bad.”

It wasn’t that way for the whole game for the Vols, though, and they have some positive areas to point to as they prepare for another battle with a nationally ranked squad with No. 10 Florida coming to Neyland Stadium on Saturday (TV: WVLT, 3:30 p.m.).

The young offensive line had a productive evening blocking in the run game, and Tauren Poole gashed the Ducks for 162 yards and a touchdown.

Kicker Daniel Lincoln looked healthy and strong in drilling a pair of field goals, including one from 48 yards. And linebacker Nick Reveiz was back as a force in the middle, racking up 10 tackles to lead a defense that held its own for a while against Oregon’s high-powered attack.

The next step is making sure the Vols can compete like that a little bit longer, no matter what happens on the scoreboard.

“I hope we can see that when we do play with the kind of intangibles that we expect them to play with for 60 minutes, that we can go out and compete and we did that against a good football team,” Dooley said. “But when we don’t play with those intangibles, whether it be a lack of discipline, a lack of effort or toughness, then we’re going to get embarrassed.

“I think that’s the case with whoever we play.”

Bumps and Bruises: Dooley updated the status of three players injured on Saturday night.

Linebacker Herman Lathers left the game with a leg injury, but tests were negative and he’s expected to return this week.

Kicker Michael Palardy (groin) and center Cody Pope (concussion) are both day-to-day.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

beartn#223846 writes:

I like Dooley's mindset. Regardless of the score, whoever is on the field must play hard and execute on the next play.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

Welcome to Vols football Coach Dooley. This has been a problem since 2001. Have fun trying to fix it. Two other coaches have tried...well, maybe one other coach has tried.

Oh and if you go back and review those tapes you'll also see that we are historically bad at open field tackles and red-zone offense.

Ironcity writes:

I agree completely with what coach is saying. Its not easy focusing on the next play even when your down but thats what you have to do to start winning again. Good luck coach I will be there this coming Saturday and I think UT 's defense will do better against the Gators then Oregon. I have never seen a team run there offense so fast. Florida can try but I don't think they have the experience to do it. As for our offense 2-15 on third downs says a lot about the QB. You have to make plays on 3rd down. I just am not sure our QB has that ability to make a play on 3rd down. I hope you prove me wrong (Crompton did).

TommyJack writes:

I like CDD's viewpoint. Hope the team doesn't fall into the mindset of many posters here.

Bogus writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I agree.

BillyVol writes:

Always take the good from a loss, and build on what needs to be corrected, and look forward, not backward.

TKO writes:

Vols pull the upset Saturday and win 27 - 24 over Florida. Go Vols!

bUTchVFL writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

It's all a matter of coaching them properly. CDD will get it fixed. Rome wasn't built in a day.

SummittsCourt writes:

The first 26 minutes showed the Vols are going to be good, the next 34 minutes showed the Vols need some experience and work. It will come. The loss is in the rear view mirror. On to the next game, go Vols beat them gators

orangecountyvols writes:

IMO, we have just played the better of the two teams...........Oregon and Florida. Eliminate what killed us and this can be a different ball game. The guys' midset cannot be white towel thinking if we fall behind. It doesn't appear to be a team that will be successful a lot digging out of a hole. Important will be to have something close to that first quarter and try to continue as much of it as possible throughout the game. Eliminate the poor tackling, execute on offense and improve the kicking game far better than what we saw in this second half.

VolsInYourMouth writes:

I will stick with my Vols through the thick and thin. CDD will right the ship. Give him some time. The team looked fairly good MOST of the game. But, their youth was exposed in the latter parts of the game. The Vols will be back and I think it will be sooner than later. GBO!!!!!

NorthwestVol writes:

As much of an issue as depth is for this team, confidence is even more of an issue.

ClarksvilleVols42 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

I believe the Ducks would run them(UF) in the ground..maybe not so with Bama

KarnsVol writes:

paTience. paTience. paTience, Vol fans.

BillyVol writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

He kicked off and then was replaced later on, must be from game.

utkjoe29 writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

I believe he pulled it on the kick-off where Barner was stripped.. only reason I noticed was because it was a lefty kicking off.

tenndave writes:

Boys and girls we have the coach. He is all business and knows what he is talking about. I enjoyed the first half watching our guys fly all around the field. The excitement level was high. But in the back of my mind, I questioned were we too high and using all our energy early and whether we could go like that for 4 quarters with the lack of depth we have. We have beat Kentucky for years with wearing them down in the first half and then exploiting their lack of depth in the second half. I am convinced we will win some games we did not expect to. I am excited about our coaches and the way Dooley runs things. In the long run, Tn will be back very soon once the cupboard is stocked.
You have to love the attitude these players have and what Dooley and Wilcox are teaching them along with the other coaches. Oregon was good. Too much for us right now but that will not last long. Go Vols!!!!!!!

PrimeTime writes:

We all knew this was going to be a tough season. All is not lost, it was one game. Am I happy we were blown out of the building in the 4th quarter, no I am not. Am I glad the team seemed to give up after the pick 6, no. Will I still cheer and be optimistic about our team, YES I will. It will take some time, but I think Dooley and staff can still make great strides this year. We are young and inexperienced people, Don't give up on our beloved VOLS just yet. Have some patience. All we can hope for is improvement each game. One game is not the whole season. GBO!!!! Have some faith.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

shut up

and get back in the tank

A Vandy grad talking football, come on

go back to biophysics or your chemistry set

Ralph_Crampton writes:

Guys, its not really the coaching as it is the talent on the field. Coaching is very important, but the talent you are coaching is the ultimate test of how good we really are. "Bear" Bryant always said the better talent I have the better coach I become. Other coaches have said you have to have some hunks of chicken when you make chicken salad. I really think that the Vols need about twenty five great athletes to get back on top....The tyeams that have the best athletes are the winners. Gen. Neyland if you recall, concentred on the states of Ohio, Penn., and West Virgina...while his staff trierd to get ther top players in the south. We don't recruit like that anymore.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

so will Tenn.Could be a good game if and that's a big if,the Vols learned anything from the Duck game.Looks like Florida and Tennessee are both not very good.Florida beating Tennessee will not do much for recognition for Florida since they are suposed to win,but a Tennessee win would do much for the Vols.Just play the game and show a little respect toward the loser.We all know Florida is the better team so why brag and sling insults?That only makes the poster look like what he or she really is.A dumb arsse.That is intended for fans of both teams.

SEC1 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

If Florida FS Will Hill plays this week i think gators will pick Noodle armed Sims at least 3 times!

PintailDrake writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

"mid-tier Pac 10 schools"...LMAO! Now I fully understand why UT fans loathe you Florida fans so much. Anytime you want the PAC 10 Champion Oregon Ducks to come down to the "swamp" for a game, just let us know. It would be a pleasure to silence 88,548 Gator fans as they watch the Ducks outplay your Gators. You clearly have been watching too much ESPN.

OrangePride writes:

I was wondering why Palardy only had the opening kick off....now I know. Good to know that Lathers wasn't badly hurt as well. And it's a good point, that we have NOT been a come from behind team these last years. When we have gotten down, we stayed down. Even with Wyoming that was the case.....and it is not something that is very flattering. So good for CDD to be on top of this and having as something in serious need of correction. GO BIG ORANGE!! LAST WEEK IS OVER, NOW GO BEAT DEM GATORS!!!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

I think this team understands from experience now that if they put 4 quarters in like they did the first two with Oregon they will win. So Florida goes down if this will happen for them. The defense and special teams must play extra special in this game. Just generate 14 extra points and it will be done.

jarvol writes:

Unfortunately the players at UT got used to quitting when they got behind under Fulmer ala UGA 2003, Peach Bowls, and too many Florida debacles to count. I hope Dooley can change the culture and I hope UT will one day hire a president who will fire Hamilton and hire someone respectable like Charles Davis.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

The mind is a wonderful thing.It can cause you to believe your own lies.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

you can handle yourself verbaly, we will give you that
but having to change your screen name what now 20+ times and set behind a monitor in moms basement just to say I told you so is issues problems
kick us while we are down, hey any Tenn fan can take it, we will be back, maybe not this year, or next, but you history tells us, we are the 2nd winningest program in all of the SEC, and history always has a way of repeating itself

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

and you might want to check the all time Tenn vs Fla series before you poke out your manboobs dough boy

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to jarvol:

I think none can argue this but we just want our old VOLS back before to many more years. In the past the VOLS would get behind but you just new they would come back and 95 percent of the time they would not make you unhappy.

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Toothless does not equal gorgeous!!!!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to SEC1:

oops! Looks as if another dummy has spoken.However this dummy may very well be right.

PintailDrake writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Easy there sport...don't get your panties in a bunch. I am becoming a bigger UT fan by the minute...GO VOLS!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Obviously you have not been around long enough to know that what goes around comes back to bite you. Your time to
get VOL whippings is coming. This gator team will be lucky to win 8 this year.

swampbuggy writes:

UT fans -- I was more than a little impressed with your team and new coach. It has to be hard on a team, three coaches in three years.

jarvol writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Maybe in the 90s. That was a long, long time ago. Time for a reality check in the current time period.

skyhawk836 writes:

well adjusted kids.
Whose are they?

nicknack1 writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

I blame Kelly Washington for UT's downfall. His attitude changed everything. I still believe Dooley has what it takes to win although it may be another year or 2 before we start really winning again

skyhawk836 writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

And what do mean, "nasty"?
Your mere presence on an opposing teams site and your condescending attitude invite abuse.
It would be rude of us not to accept.

TommyJack writes:

Wonder if KNS has to pay time and a half to the late night trolls?

Neyland writes:

Real simple, I prefer a player to breakdown, stick the runner and wrap up. If you cant bring him down yourself then hold on till help gets there. these attempted highlight reel style tackles dont work, they havnt for years. Defense I stand behind you but watch some old game film. You will see this point to be true, if the defense tackles better then we will have the best defense in the conference. For 2 1/2 quarters the defense held a high powered offense in check for the most part, that is the best or second best offense we will face all year. I think we will get better week to week and will be a force to be reckoned with. Keep your heads up, we are coming back and GO VOLS!!!!!

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to Neyland:

You are so right Neyland. I too get tired of seeing players trying to knock a player down rather than wrap up. My excitement hasn't waned for the coaching staff and I think that we will still be happy with this team at the end of the year. Hey DC..tell me what you'll be wearing and what section of Neyland that you will be in and I will approach you apart from your family and we will discuss your posts on this site. Negative fans..stay that way and don't change your name when things improve (volnothamiltonfan). Please fans try to bring that same electricity to Neyland this Saturday and maybe the weather will be better. Crowd was awsome. ROCKY TOP!

tennezz writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

They want get it win or lose!

tennezz writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

You need to slap the hell out of that gorgeous brunette because these two well-adjusted kids cant be yours!

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to tennezz:

Give him 6 !!!

ROTFLMAO !!!

flatrock writes:

Hope you enjoy your first trip to East Tennessee-
and I agree that the Gators are much better than they have looked. I expect that the Vols will get
Florida's best shot this Saturday. However, please
don't dismiss Oregon quite so easily. They can
play with the very top teams in the SEC. I think
their Rose Bowl loss has led them to stretch
their game to include a solid dose of physical,
muscle football. Their speed is gator-like, too.
They will go as far as their QB takes them.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to PrimeTime:

Primetime, you said exactly what i am thinking....we all agreed earlier this would be they way the season mostly likely would play out....Personally, when you break the game down it was really better than i expected....Oregon went to the fast pace, not really run and gun, but similar offense late in the 2nd quarter and eventually it beat us...we didnt have the folks to run in and replace people...If you didnt catch that then just take it from me....We will be okay...Pick 6 helped break our back and letting the RB escape for 70 yards to score BROKE OUR BACK...But its okay...mature people can and will handle this....Like CDD said...enjoy the ride first....Hopefully we will enjoy a win or two along the way and get some help in here eventually....After all, why watch or follow this team and sport if you cant handle the results...its suppose to be fun!!!!

BillyVol writes:

in response to NegativeBillSportsAnimal:

I assume you know more about his situation than anyone else. Do you work for KNS.

cloudodust writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

Cunningham was whacked in the leg against UT-M and was not suppose to do much if any kicking Saturday. Guess CC got forced into the duty after Palardy's injury. As far as punting goes, I'm wondering if CDD has a tear-away redshirt on Darr for now...Personally, I'd rather see CC focused on punting duties .

CroKev writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Come on kid, there's no way you're old enough to be married yet. You're kind of like VandyGrad - claiming to have written books and running a sports betting site. That is, until you're found out.

Let's be real this year. None of us are going to beat Bama. They will own you guys again in Tuscaloosa and then, if by some miracle, you beat SC, they'll own you in Atlanta. But don't worry, you'll go to a bowl. Scheduling non-conference power-houses like Miami (the Ohio version), South Florida, and Happy Appy State should guarantee that.