Adams: Second-half deluge was the real damper

John Adams
Oregon's Cliff Harris returns an interception for a touchdown against Tennessee at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010. UT lost the game 48-13.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Game recap: UT vs. Oregon

Tennessee fans left Neyland Stadium so fast early in the fourth quarter, you would have thought the public-address announcer had issued another severe-weather warning.

It wasn't the weather. It was Oregon.

A lightning storm struck in the first half, delaying the game for more than an hour. The seventh-ranked Ducks struck in the second, scoring on one long-distance play after another en route to a 48-13 victory Saturday night.

At the 11-minute mark of the fourth quarter, most UT fans had seen enough.

By then, they had seemingly witnessed two games in one. The first was full of optimism, hope and turbulent weather. The 12-point underdog Vols led that one 13-3 in the second quarter.

The second was a blowout the likes of which UT fans have rarely seen at Neyland Stadium.

Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators never scored this many points on UT's home field. Neither have Urban Meyer's Gators.

Georgia was the last team to score 40 or more points in Neyland Stadium, hitting 41 points in 2003. Washington State was the last team to score more than Oregon did in the same stadium, piling up 52 points on the 1988 Vols, who started out 0-6.

What was an aberration at Neyland Stadium was just another day at the office for the Ducks.

Only six teams have scored 40 or more points on UT's home field. Oregon has scored 40 or points in nine of the last 15 games.

It wasn't just how many points the Ducks scored. It was how fast they scored them.

With three minutes to play in the first half, the Vols led 13-3. In the next 33 minutes, Oregon scored 45 unanswered points.

The Vols hadn't suffered a scoring deluge of that magnitude since Florida scored 48 consecutive points in The Swamp in 1995.

The topsy-turvy nature of UT's second game magnified its weaknesses.

You knew this team didn't have great depth. You also knew it didn't have as many playmakers as the best teams on its schedule.

It was impressive how well UT nullified Oregon's big-play guys in the first half. The Vols parlayed a surprisingly forceful running game with a sure-tackling defense in taking a 10-point lead.

But once Oregon pushed the accelerator on its hurry-up offense, UT fell further behind with almost every possession.

The Ducks' fast-break offense winded UT's defense in the last few minutes of the half. Their skill players took it from there in the second half.

The game turned on a 72-yard touchdown play by Oregon running back LaMichael James in the first five minutes of the second half. James started right, seemed hemmed in, then reversed his field and sped 72 yards for a touchdown.

UT had no counter-punch, just one faulty possession after another, starting with a wayward Matt Simms pass that Cliff Harris returned 76 yards for a touchdown.

The Vols can take consolation from their first-half performance and Tauren Poole's 162 yards rushing behind an offensive line that began the season with five new starters. They can take more consolation from the schedule. There's probably no one else on it with an offense as explosive as Oregon's.

The Vols proved they could hold their own with a top-10 team for a half. Now, they have to prove they can bounce back from the disastrous half that followed.

John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Related Stories

geniuspearl writes:

who was directing traffic after the game? KPD dropped the ball this week.

andy112382#209793 writes:

Oregon is good, no question.

Obviously we have to learn a lot from this film, but just as quick as some may throw up the white flag on the season, also reconize that some of the teams people had marked as a sure loss have their fair share of issues and question marks (Florida, LSU, UGA, Ole Miss for example) and just as in 2007 when we got spanked by Florida and Bama as well as a loss out west to UCLA, we still had a great season and played for an SEC title - and stop, no I did not mean we will do that this year, but we haven't lost 7-8 games as some assume automatically happened tonight.

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to SoCalGuy:

Shouldn't you be paying more attention to your boys barely leading Virginia?

WinkeyVol writes:

in response to geniuspearl:

who was directing traffic after the game? KPD dropped the ball this week.

The traffic was gone by the end of the game. The traffic jams were during the fourth quarter.

OrangeCounsel writes:

what's wrong with the world when we can breathe a sign of relief after oregon because florida's coming up next week?

WinkeyVol writes:

It hurts like h3ll to get thumped like this but sometimes thats what it takes to learn where our weaknesses are. We've put a lot of knots on other peoples noggins over the years and we will continue to do so when we set a few things aright. I will never give up on this program.

Realist writes:

My little thoughts about the game.

First the fans!
-In the first half, it was unbelievable how loud we were and it was obvious even on television.
-The start of the 2nd have had a little lull and only got worse. On TV it seems the fans, not the players were tired by the half.

The band
-Exact same as the fans except a little to late surge late in the 3rd when we were down by 14.

And lastly, the Team!
-Well you guessed it. Same as the band and the fans. Just flat in the 2nd half.

The team has an excuse. Lack of depth means less subs and physically wasn't possible today.

As for the band, I haven't been more disappointed since last years Auburn game when the opposing band drowned out the UT band with a handful of members.

As for the fans, it is inconsistent every week unless we haven't faced adversity!

Bogus writes:

in response to SoCalGuy:

You mean like USC's did? Get ready for that death penalty, with the goons you got there it's only a matter of time. What's it our UF trolls like to say? Oh yeah, write it down.

VolCrazy writes:

in response to SoCalGuy:

That's funny because the only bowl you get is the toilet bowl that your athletic department is circling. And Realist, what band were you watching? They have looked and sounded way better than last year. If you want an embarrassment of a band, you should have watched the Stanford game.

SpiralBound writes:

From what I saw on my couch the most crucial series of plays were with about 3:45 left in the first half. It was 3rd and 4-6yds and we were around mid-field.
1. Simms had Zach Rogers on an out-route about 2 yards past the sticks and Rogers dropped it. Granted, the pass looked a little low but, in that moment, you HAVE to make that catch to move the chains.
2. Cunningham comes in for the punt and squibs a worm-burner off the bottom of his cleat for a punt of what appeared to be 19yds. This is a play that could have HELPED soften the blow of missing the first down. If we pin them inside the 10, I'm thinking we would've been ok the remainder of the half.
3. Where was the defensive backside on James' long run? In all my years of playing football I remembered one thing playing end: Pursue the ball as deep as the ball, meaning don't let them reverse field.

I know these things didn't lose the game for us, but if we get the first down, move inside the 30, and kick a field goal, we go up 16-6 and they have a minute or so to take the kickoff.

OldNumber7 writes:

I like what I saw. A team and coaching staff capable of beating any team on our schedule...for a half. Point is, I can swallow the lack-of-depth pill..it caught up to us. But that Tennessee team in the first-quarter-plus looked awesome. If we can stretch that out and add some depth over the next 2-3 years I see light at the end of the tunnel and titles in the future.

Good luck to Oregon - what an awesome team to watch. Go win the Pac10 and win a National Title - I will enjoy watching you guys more this year.

BIGORANGEDOG writes:

As the headlines read it was a real "Dumper" in the second half, but we all
pulled with our hearts thinking we somehow managed to find 3 deep position players in a closet somwhere hidden away.
We are where we are and the system is working on righting itself. The coaches, players and fans will all share in the highs and lows of this season, It was to be expected given the number of scholarship players we currently have. There were at least a dozen players on the field last night who were playing in High School last year and they did a pretty good job against certainly the best team I have seen thus far this season, including the current #1. Its easy to quit when it gets tough, you see it everyday in life, but those young men and coaches believe that they came to Tennessee for a reason and I for one believe they did also. There is heart and there is fight in this team and staff and yeah it may be a tough year, h@ll it may be a couple of tough years, but it want last and every dog has his day. Ole' Smokey will be back on top soon. Everyday, every game we are just building memories. GBO! Go make some memories for the days coming when these games are just that.

TommyJack writes:

Better days ahead, lads. Game went about as expected. Foundation is being installed by CDD. Show some patience and ignore the KNS trolls. That is all. (not)

uncle_loue#473937 writes:

bwdenman-

you won! great job. im sure the ducks would be lost without your support on a UT fan site. and the hillbilly reference; thats... well... gosh just i can't believe you thought to call a fan base who's self adopted fight song is "Rocky Top" hillbillies. the imagination and originality you possess is staggering. i think you'd enjoy the film "Fire in the Sky". it uh portrays the intellect and culture of the people of Oregon. Also see Rambo First Blood, though that one may be set in Washington. Which is pretty much the same I guess. The farthest west I've been is Russia. Us hillbillies from Knoxville only make it so far around the globe you know. hehehe but you know that. you're smart. and mature enough to gloat over a 7th ranked team beating an unranked opponent that went 7-5 the year before and lost their bowl game. i can understand your enthusiasm. i don't have very high standards either, well at least when it comes to beer and presidents. a guy can only take so much disappointment right?

anywho. at least it looks like there's a good chance I'll get to see Bama beat Ohio State for national championship this year.

thanks again Bwdenman. for everything.

speedkillz17 writes:

in response to OldNumber7:

true that

82cat writes:

Don't even know what to say: I am afraid we still have a ways to go before we reach the bottom and then hopefully we will get it turned around.

It has been as bad a stretch of Tennessee football as I have seen in a while.

Folks it may be 3 to 5 yrs to get this turned around even if Dooley is the guy, if he's not it may be a bad decade before the next coach gets it done.

It just seems so hard for us to complete basic passes and score td's for the past several yrs.

My suggestion- DVR the games take hikes during the beautiful fall weather and watch the game after you hear the score otherwise you will waste a lot of pretty fall days sitting on the couch this fall.

One thing that did concern me last night-- sometimes Dooley had the look in his eyes like Shula at bama, not saying Dooley is Shula but the look was eerily similar

NorthwestVol writes:

Patience, then more patience.

southernbybirthVOLbygraceofGOD writes:

in response to 82cat:

It has been as bad a stretch of Tennessee football as I have seen in a while.

U MY FAIR WEATHER FRIEND ARE AN IDIOT

Sovol writes:

You don't beat a top 10 team with freshmen and NO depth. But we'll be back in the picture given time. I just wish we had some special team play. Seems like its been forever swince we had good special teams.

PennVol writes:

Once Oregon tied the game, it felt like the fans and the Vols knew we were in big trouble and couldn't prevent the Ducks from taking over. Our young team needs to learn from this and learn how to play for 60 minutes. Great first half by the Vols (except the last 3 minutes). It's a long season - Beat Florida and this bad feeling goes away. Good luck to Oregon, the fans I ran into were very classy and knowledgable and they probably have a Top 5 team. GO VOLS!

UtahDuck writes:

Always hurts to lose a big game (Oregon fans know all too well), but I think some of you are being too pessimistic. I saw a big, talented o-line that completely had their way with Oregons veterans, I saw RBs that know how to hit the hole and drag tacklers, I saw a QB with a decent arm, and I saw a home crowd that caused plenty of false starts (3? 4?).

Oregons depth was a factor, we knew it would be. Experience was a factor too, younger players are always going to be quicker to lose heart in the face of a momentum change. I honestly don't believe our skill players were that much better or faster than yours, but maybe just older and wiser?

I'm actually a little concerned about the score - the same players we just throttled are going to be lightyears better in 2013 when ya'll come to Autzen, and I'm betting they remember this game...

Anyway, just saying I think ya'll will be competetive this year, even in the SEC. Thanks for the excellent articles and your hospitality on these boards, and we'll be pulling for you against Florida and Bama, Go Vols!

oregone writes:

Based on what I saw on television, it was worth registering an account on this website just to say that you guys have an amazing stadium and awesome fans.

SEAL_9821 writes:

in response to Realist:

My little thoughts about the game.

First the fans!

The band

And lastly, the Team!
-Well you guessed it. Same as the band and the fans. Just flat in the 2nd half.

I totally agree with u on the band. Someone fill me in please. Our band looks not only smaller, but is not half as loud in the stands and on the field as most of our other SEC rivals ie. Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida,etc. Is the university cutting the number of scholly's it is giving the band or what? I can remember when the Pride of the South would blast Andy Holt Ave on the parade before the game, but now you can barely hear them in lot 9. Someone fill me in?

jbocap writes:

Being a VOL fan; and also an Oregon fan...I was excited to watch this game. I enjoy watching Oregon play too, and will watch them this season.

Obviously, I am proud of how our inexperienced guys held up the first half...proving they "can" do it. I dont like the way the fans & the players gave up in the 2nd half...you play 4 quarters -- 15 mins each.

I know Oregon is explosive and fast; I honestly dont see how they didnt get tired? they are not super-human. And dont tell me they are much more conditioned than Tennessee. I suspect maybe some performance enhancement drugs may be in the picture ?!?!?!?

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to SEAL_9821:

The Pride is much smaller than when I was in it in the mid-70s...and quieter. (I heard they were worried about having enough people to make a "T".) And frankly, the way they play the fight song now (Down the Field, not Rocky Top) is so non-energetic I can hardly listen to it. I know they have some good teachers in the music department, but the facilities have been a serious issue since I was there. They were old and way too small 30 years ago. They did recently tear down the old building and are building in the same location. But you know that can't be a draw for budding musicians. That plus they don't do the summer band camps for high school kids anymore, so they aren't reaching out to the good musicians. Hopefully things will bounce back there soon...like the football team.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to PennVol:

Yes that is just what I saw. The lack of depth was an issue but the lack of experience was the killer. The young ones got lost after the Ducks tied the game and lost it completely after the Ducks took the lead. This will right its self as the season goes on and we will finish strong. The depth issue is another thing altogether and that will be fixed next year.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to jbocap:

Could be there's a little hankie pank It is likely that every team has a little of that. But it was Depth and Experience that kept Or. fresh and lack of it that beat UT.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to UtahDuck:

Me Tanks You Mr. UDuck. I'm a Vol but I live on the West coast and am a Duck fan out here. I do agree that UT did very well with the players they have and much better things will come with game experience.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to UtahDuck:

Thanks, UD...we appreciate you Ducks being such kind winners and your encouragement. We certainly hope to bring a deeper team to Eugene in 2013, and look forward to it. Patience is not something that a lot of Vol fans do well, but hopefully we'll have some surprise wins this season. I think the team/coaches probably learned some valuable lessons playing you all that will help...hopefully as early as next weekend!

Ralph_Crampton writes:

A top ten team requires 25 to thirty class 4 or five...to be on top...in a tight contest...most famous coaches say if you have at least 25 top players, most games are won on half-a-dozen big plays during a game...The Vols just need about twenty top recruits to hang in there with anyone.

UtahDuck writes:

in response to jbocap:

Oh, I hope not, that would suck.

I suspect it's got as much to do with practice routines as physical conditioning. I don't expect that UO is THAT much more in shape than UT, if at all. I'm no football player, but I think it's mental fatigue as much as physical. Remember that the hurryup is an integral part of the UO offense. They practice at that tempo all the time, it's not just a wrinkle we made up for you guys :D.

82cat writes:

in response to southernbybirthVOLbygraceofGOD:

U MY FAIR WEATHER FRIEND ARE AN IDIOT

Sorry the UT fan base will now settle for a good first half at their home stadium.

How in the world did it get to this point. last 5 years record and 2 games this year 37 wins and 29 loses

Right now UT football is irrelevant nationwide and I guess if you want to sit and watch a very mediocre at best football team for the next couple years (and that's if Dooley is the guy)
you can call me fair weather but I will not be joining the everything is going to be great in a couple years crowd--- how the hll do you know that.

Just worn out with the mediocrity over the last several years.

zackster writes:

Hunter has been touted as an exceptional pass receiver for UT. Do you have any idea why he caught only 1 pass Saturday ? I think that was the only one thrown to him and it set up a touchdown.

GatorHater326 writes:

in response to WinkeyVol:

wrong i stayed til the last whistle blew and the traffic was horrible....almost as bad as the Cr@p that call themselves fans in section MN and P and almost the rest of the stadium. The noise was getting to Oregon in the first half. And the fans let the ball drop as bad as KPD let the traffic ball drop. One guy was giving the oregon fans heck in section Q and as soon as the 4th quarter started he bolted...I gave him heck as he left and told him to never come back. I was more embarrassed to be a UT fan that day than I have ever been in my 30 years. UT fans are pathetic by in large. It's your team you stay til the whistle sounds panzies

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to pj_ladyvolnMI:

**Since you guys are band people please answer this question. Why does the IDIOT BAND DIRECTOR start up "rocky top" when TN is on OFFENSE !!!! Do band people not have a clue about football! TN gets a first down and the stupid band starts it up ...meanwhile the team is frantically waving their arms to quiet the crowd! GET A CLUE AND SHUTTY !!!

hemidriver writes:

This is another avid Duck fan who was impressed by the overall classiness of Vol fans on the blogs and elsewhere. I also agree with some others that you are maybe being a little too hard on your own team. The foundation appears to be there. Some more depth and you should be fine. It will depend on Dooley as a recruiter. But you definitely have some players. For awhile there, I was afraid that Boise State had snuck in wearing orange jerseys. And what a stadium!! It's impressive even watching on the idiot box. I would love to see a game there. Thanks, again, for the classiness Vols. We don't get that much out here. And hopefully we can kick Kiffin's *** for you, too.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

I didn't have this band director, so I don't know they're thinking now. When I was there (30 years ago) was when we first started playing Rocky Top regularly. And the best I can remember, the coach contacted the band director and asked him to play it when the defense went on the field. I have no idea what the plan is now, or if there is one. I say feel free to write them to educate them!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

It's early but I agree about Simms;the pass protection for the most part was good enough for him to make the throws..Despite the penalty; overthrowing a wide open Stoker was inexcusable..The INT on the out route happens to the best of QB's..Chaney was stupid to call that play in the red zone;especially after he had already used it 8 times!!!Simms is smart and will eventually get better but Chaney's passing offense is far to predictable..Throwing on first down;play action and using the middle could help..Out routes and swing passes are far to easy for good secondarys to shut down

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to zackster:

I really expected to see Hunter going up against a Duck downfield in the last minute of the first half. Didn't happen.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to oregone:

And you have an amazing team and awsome fans...

jcvol#215939 writes:

in response to pj_ladyvolnMI:

Lifelong Vol and '82 Grad ... The Pride was fantastic in those years and I knew several people in the band and heard all the stories by Dr. Julian that kept them at the top of their game. My daughter is a sophomore at Auburn now and a member of the AUMB that drowned out the Pride at Neyland last year (she was so excited to play at Neyland as she always wanted to be a member of The Pride). Unfortunately for "my" pride, when it came time for her to decide where to attend school, her drumline capabilities took her to AU, not UT. I know first hand .. The Pride isn't what it used to be .. and it hurts.

Voluvr writes:

Not to worry Vol fans and those with Orange Envy...We've had no depth for the last 4 years. We're on the right track. The goal this year...bowl game.

FormulaDC writes:

in response to geniuspearl:

who was directing traffic after the game? KPD dropped the ball this week.

I sat in dead stopped traffic, didn't move 10 foot for One hour because of ''one'' officer directing traffic.

SCOTTY writes:

This here Duck wants to thanks Knoxville for a terrific visit - some amazing food, you have beautiful women and the best fight song in college football. Your stadium is unbelievable, it must be great to be in there for all your home games...Knoxville is a terrific place (plus the Vols obviously have talent - see 1st Half stats)...thanks for everything and good luck with Florida next week !!!

VOLinBirmingham writes:

in response to SCOTTY:

To All the Duck Fans.
Glad to see you at our home field. You a great team. Look forward to the visit at your home field. Yall as a group was a class act, sure will be different when Florida and Alabama comes to town. BEAT KIFFIN!

Ralph_Crampton writes:

This sounds like I am a hypocrite...not so...I was thinking if we upset Florida then the sports media will be quick to point out the SEC is a toothless tiger...And the way the National media does not care that much about Southern teams, Bama would probably drop out of the top spot in the polls...this would leave Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, So. Cal., Oklahoma, Texas, any pair of this lineup of teams would be playing in the BCS National Championship game...leaving Bama, Gators out of game...The SEC has won four straight National crowns...but sport writers are looking for say Oregon, So. Cal against Buckeyes or Michigan in title match...if Bama or Florida is caught in an upset...Think about it? At ,least let us keep the National Championship in the family...OUR SEC.