Adams: Dooley is harshest critic of Vols

John Adams

Dooley: Summary of UT vs. Oregon

Tennessee coach Derek Dooley depicted himself as a candid critic in preseason. Or, as he put it, "I'm not going to say you did well when you stunk."

The heat of defeat hasn't altered his self-assessment. From his post-game address to Monday afternoon's press luncheon, Dooley has assailed his team's lack of competitiveness in a 48-13 loss to Oregon on Saturday night.

He didn't have to wait to see the video. He figured it out while watching the Ducks have their way with the Vols for the last 35 minutes.

Some fans seemed strangely encouraged by UT's performance, which included a 13-3 lead late in the second quarter. So what if UT played well for almost a half against a superior opponent? It collapsed in the second.

To his credit, Dooley has harped on that collapse. The coach, not the media or fans, has been the team's harshest critic.

Everyone is aware of UT's limitations. It lacks talent, depth and experience. But it's a slippery slope when you start grading on the curve.

I'm as guilty as anyone. My expectations were so low for the team, my head was spinning from its early success against the nation's seventh-ranked team. Even as the second half was reduced to a series of chase scenes, I balanced that with first-half memories of the Vols' offensive line pushing around the Ducks as though they were UT Martin leftovers.

You start out by reveling in first-half competency. Then, you burst into a chorus of "Rocky Top" after one respectable quarter. And finally, you're lauding the team's 70-yard touchdown drive against reserves in the dying moments of a 45-7 loss.

The next thing you know, you're Vanderbilt.

You have to be realistic about this team's capabilities. But no one should settle for what the Vols provided in the last 35 minutes.

A couple of e-mailers took fellow fans to task for leaving early. In fact, UT fans should have been applauded for staying as long as they did. They tailgated for half the afternoon, sat through an hour and ten-minute delay and watched their team unravel in the second half.

What's left? Screaming yourself hoarse while Oregon's second team breezes down the field?

Coaches sometimes treat such disasters as though they never occurred. "Forget it and move on," they say, as though the game was an aberration.

Dooley has taken the opposite course, proving there's no denial in his corner. He wants his team to remember what went wrong and why. He wants his team to learn from adversity.

"The good news is we've got plenty of adversity ahead of us," he said Monday.

He's right. Florida might not have Oregon's firepower or its go-for-the-jugular approach to attacking a weary defense. But it has more quality depth in both the offensive and defensive lines than UT, and that could make for another gruesome fourth quarter for the home folks.

Florida also has a long history of bringing out the worst in the Vols. For example, take the 59-20 mismatch in The Swamp three years ago. Afterwards, the Gators talked about how UT players quit in the second half.

That's the last thing the Vols need to hear Saturday night.

John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

james#216392 writes:

I like his position

james#216392 writes:

If we play a full four quarters like we did against the ducks, we can win this game. Florida hasn't looked good so far. They will be up for us, no doubt. I liked what I saw Saturday, for 1 1/2 quarters. Build on that

rockytopatl writes:

It is true that Adams' post-game column was much kinder than Dooley's assessment of his team's performance.

Personally, I love it. No more Great Pumpkin clap-clap-clap on the sidelines after a disastrous play. Now you get a snarl, probably a few curse words and smoke comes out of the coaching ears.

That is a big improvement in my book. I'm liking Dooley more all the time. This tough guy coaching will pay off in the long run.

pickinhick writes:

Ok, I am confused. It sounds as if Adams might actually like Dooley and UT football. What is going on here?

oldschooltye writes:

Adolph Rupp once told Cawood Ledford that if his team stunk on the court then burn 'em at the microphone. .Looks like Dooley may take the same kind of approach.You see what it did for Coach Rupp.

HtownVol writes:

The real question for us (UT fans) is Will Coach Dooley recruit the type of players to build a talented depth chart?

That is the only way UT gets bach to a top 10 team. Having a few star players is not going to win 11 games. UT will need great players as starters and very good players as second string players.

And Simms has got to learn to have amnesia. Dont let one bad play kill your confidence.

Thank You T. Poole for playing with all the heart possible! I am very proud to have Poole. The guy is a beast! Leading the SEC in rushing after two games.

Chartervol writes:

Dooley not only knows the traditions and the Torchbearer and all that, turns out he understands the school"s Latin motto, too.

"Veritatem cognoscetis et veritas vos liberabit."

Know the truth and the truth will set you free.

Preach, coach, preach.

vols2#227315 writes:

I stay for the whole game. Simms is the worst quarterback in UT history. If you are not going to play Bray, then sub a running back or wide reciever in the g gun.

HallowedHill writes:

Dooley definitely has his feet on the ground. He's exactly right in his assessments of the teams (IMO). Dooley has shown that he can recruit - just look at Rogers and Hunter. I think Dooley is recruiting the kind of players UT will need to be a contender.
Young teams historically give up big plays and that's what happened to us Saturday. We played with one of the better teams in the country for 3 quarters. For the first half, I was completely stunned by how well we played. Although the final score was lopsided, hopefully the team can build on their successes and work on their failures because they have got to be ready to go again Saturday.

The future looks bright with our entire exciting defensive front, solid linebacker play, Poole running like a man-possessed (and it's rubbing off on Oku), spectacular catches from Hunter, Rogers and lets not forget Eric "the Headhunter" Gordon. Hopefully things come together sooner rather than later.

GO VOLS!

57TexasVol writes:

in response to james#216392:

Your enthusiam and attitude is great,seriously it is. But with all due respect we did not play four quarters of football against Oregon. The reality is, even with their two mediocre showings, Florida's depth and talent is on a much better level than ours. Vol fans need to realize that this is not a "rebuilding year" but a major project that is going to take at least three years before we might be in any conversation for a shot at the East.

Chartervol writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

I've been in the stands since 1975. Fools have been ragging on the quarterback the whole time.

10ECMATT writes:

We needed that oregon game bad, as much as I hated to see it. If we had to lose, best to lose big. Just hate the response from the team and the fans that left.

rabidvol1998 writes:

in response to Chartervol:

Hey Charter ... I can personally vouch for 1969 to 1974 as well. "Put Valbeano (sic) in".

tenndave writes:

Rivals Radio says Dooley can't coach at this level and will be gone within 4-5 years. I am not an expert but I disagree. He will recruit the kind of players that will bleed orange. I personally like a team full of Nick Reviez's, Taureen Poole, etc. Play like it is your last play of your life and never say die. Dooley believes character is the most important attribute. Don't get me wrong, he wants the talent but not the Bryce Brown type of me me me first. I can't wait for Sat. Go Vols

jumboliyah writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

You haven't watched many seasons to say this...Steve Alatore ('80) was worse IMHO...Jeff Oschefscki (spelling) maybe as well, the later was around in 81 when we started off with 44-0 loss at GA and a 42-3 loss at Southern Cal...to his credit he bounced back and we won a big game at Auburn 42-0; so let's hope Simms can bounce back with a big win as well.

jumboliyah writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Bill Battle was big on the FCA and while it is a fine organization and as a Christian I know that salvation is more important than football. That said, John 3:16 gets you into heaven but it doesn't get you any first downs.

Character is something we need to recruit, but we need the 4 and 5 star guys who have that...ala Eric Berry. I know those guys are few and far between, but we can recruit both character and talent at the same time. If Navy and Air Force can compete with the barriers thay face in recruiting we have no excuses!

psychovol2 writes:

I loved how Adam's said, "he didn't have to see the video" a not so veiled reference to Fulmer. I also loved how he took posters to task for admonishing (smart) fans for leaving early; I wasn't there so I'm not calling myself smart. Also a not so veiled reference to dumb posters.

jumboliyah writes:

in response to naffy:

Dooley won't be gone, but Rogers needs to show something or yield to Number 11 who is a big time receiver...he just needs to learn the lay book and at least wave at the guy he is supposed to block!

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to 57TexasVol:

From one Texas Vol to another...I haven't heard anyone on this site suggest that we would be a contender in the east this year. It's not exactly a Newsflash that we have a tough road ahead in returning to the national prominence we one enjoyed; however, most of us recognized a team that showed up coached up and ready to compete. We clearly didn't finish, but with a little time and experience we will learn to do so.

billwall writes:

After our loss this coming Sat (we have no chance unless it pours down rain and they fumble 4 times in a row like we did a few years ago) we will be 5-15 versus Fla. for the past 20 years....pitiful!

volsfannsc writes:

Call me a dreamer but I still believe that right triumphs wrong. Even though society has proven me wrong, I still believe hard work and perserveance wins over in the long run. I chose to believe in Dooley and what should happen within two to three years. If it doesn't happen, it's just another kick in the gut- but if it does happen.....faith is restored. Dooley says what I want and need to hear from a Tennessee coach. His game plan last Saturday showed me he was ready to compete with the best of them. I think he was blind sided by the towel being thrown in in the fourth quarter, and I don't see this happening with the same personnel again. This team will improve steadily each week. As soon as the recruiting fills in some glaring holes in our depth, the tumblers should start to fall in place. This season will be one filled with teeth gritted and taking my lumps, but I see no stone unturned in lessons for this team.

everydayisorange writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Are you the AD? This program is so down, it may take more than three years to get the talent level of starters and 2cd, 3rd teamers back up. Try and have patience as this takes place. I would think the AD position would be changed first. We also need a good President to be chosen and get rid of the interim guy.

TommyJack writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

this post is so bad on oh so many levels.

UTME06 writes:

in response to naffy:

So I had to look back at your posts (like 300 just during the off-season) just to see if you were a troll looking for a rise. But turns out your hate for everything is just off the charts!

Congratulations on being UT's biggest hater-of-a-fan of all time. You put in the work my friend, and now you may reap the rewards.

volaholic45 writes:

Nice little shot on see-the-film-Phil, who seems to have forgotten that all was not wonderful when he was relived of his film-viewing responsibilities.

Glad Dooley is holding their feet to the fire for the 2nd half laydown, but I still saw more than I thought this team was capable of up to then. Doesn't seem so strange to me.

Want the fans to stay FOR the whole game? Stay IN the game the whole time. The tickets don't say, "Come watch us stink it up." In fact, the price says, "Come see a highly competitive product."

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to UTME06:

LMAO! Great Post UTME. If anything, naffy is consistent. Pitiful, lame, hateful, uniformed, but consistent. I can appreciate that. Definitely worthy of reaping said rewards...whatever they may be.

sidwalkvol writes:

in response to 57TexasVol:

I think what he meant was that if we can play for four quarters against Floriday the way we played against Oregon for a quarter and a half... dang those dangling participles.

And I am guessing that some of the players', uh, participles, were dangling today after practice.

TNVOLNTX writes:

Somewhat off topic, but I went from Dallas to Knoxville on Saturday - then on to Chicopee, MA for business last night, so this is the first chance I've had to post since the game. Anyway...I've been to games all over the country for four decades and I can tell you that fans of every sport in every city leave games early when the the outcome is well decided. I'm not saying it's good or bad or right or wrong, but it isn't a phenomenon unique to Tennessee. I'll put our fans up against any fans anywhere any day.

TnTravelerVol writes:

in response to billwall:

We'll see, I still have hope we will win. Although some of that is Florida not looking how they should. And if we do win, it will be 7 out of the last 21 (yes you are correct too if we lose). Either way, I will be there to support my Vols and I know yall will be too.

BustaRhymes writes:

So where's the article in which Dooley admits the failings of the coaching staff and their strategy vs. the Ducks...? Oh yeah, it's 100% the kid's fault... And who's responsible for motivating the kids? Fulmer? Majors? Elvis? Oh yeah, the kids are responsible for motivating themselves... And who will be responisble when Florida comes into Neyland and whacks us by 30 next week? You got it, the kids. Yet another GREAT coaching hire by Mikey Mouse Hamilton... I wonder if the kids will be ready to give their all for Tennessee next weekend - after having been trashed in the press by their coach? Hmmmm...

ViperOrange writes:

Dang, did i miss something? I must've slept for a week or something. I have been reading the post on here and we have already lost to Florida. Guys, I know this team is'nt setting the world on fire, but lets at least put em on the field this weekend before we forfeit the season. Everyone has an oppinion, but I personnely feel that they'll give Florida all they can handle. GBO!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Great post!

everydayisorange writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Don't know about UofM. I think it would be more costly for UT to change coaches every 2 years than to keep this one a little longer. After awhile no coaches would want the job. No job security. All I'm saying is Dooley needs a chance to see what he can do. That is what was given to Majors 5 years.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to tenndave:

The question is can he recruit 12-15 Tauren Poole's and Reveiz's every yr. That's the kind of players Fla. and Bama recruit each yr. If Dooley doesn't win 8 games by yr. 3 , a new AD will fire him.

CincyOhVol writes:

If nothing else Dooley got to see what it will take to play big time football. Conservative play calling with 2-3 star recruits just won't get it done.

I'm hopeful that the learning that takes place isn't just with the players but with Dooley as well. We all knew this was going to be a rough season. The amount of improvement we see from game to game this season will be a good barometer of what to expect in the future.

RaineyVol writes:

The vols are not the same vols they used to be! it's true...we gatta face it!

everydayisorange writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Again I will say this university cannot fire and hire every 3 years. There are buyout clauses and the such along with coaches not willing to come here because of no job security. Now I know that winning creates that security but it will still take any new coach time to get their players an such. We need to give this staff AT LEAST 4 years to see what they can acomplish!

CroKev writes:

OK, if you don't like Dooley, who else would you like to see as coach here? I'm looking at the coaches at the top 10 teams and I have to tell you, there might be only 2 or 3 guys that I MIGHT take over Dooley. The guy can obviously recruit, is a tremendous ambassador for the school, has shown remarkably good judgment in his hiring of assistant coaches, is a great administrator, etc. The question still remains: can he coach? From what I've seen so far (based on the talent he has and is facing), I believe he can. I cannot think of any other coach in the SEC whom I'd rather have. Spurrier is old, Richt and Miles may be on the hot seat, Meyer cannot seem to coach w/o Tebow and is ready to retire on a whim, Petrino is an offensive guru but defense?..., Nutt - please!, jury is still out on Chizik, etc. Saban is in a different league but we cannot afford him and I think Dooley is a young Saban but with the advantage of having a personality. As great a coach as Pearl is, I believe Dooley will be the star in Hamilton's crown.

bigtimevol writes:

Good article.

We can win this game if we play like the first half of ORE, which is something positive to build on.

However, realistically, too many IF's. If we can stop the run up the middle, get special teams play, and complete critical passes (what's wrong with throwing short passes to our proven TE).

I think, unfortunately, we'll have to take our lumps and hope that by UGA, our young guys have enough experience to start putting it together. Need improvement every week, including QB, DL.

DD is the right guy to get it done. Kiffin knew this team would be a struggle, and said a few times LY that this year's team would be more of a struggle than last year.

easleychuck writes:

in response to UTME06:

Most importantly, the mope hates himself.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to UTME06:

You delved into the mind of a serial troll and escaped?

You're a braver man than I.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

I agree but I think we all need to stick by this coach without question until after his first recruiting class. If his first class is not a top 15 class then we got a problem. I really think Bray is a wash or the coaches would be taking advantage of this grace year to get him ready and starting. Maybe they will give it to him in the UAB game if we dont see Matt have a positive performance Saturday.

SIMSVOL writes:

CroKev - completely agree. Fulmer used to sweep poor performances under the rug, wouldn't discuss plans for improvement beyond, "we're working like heck..." We are at the start of a rebuilding process and we absolutely have the right coach at the right time to bring the program roaring back. Go VOLS! And thanks Coach Dooley for restoring traditions and the processes to get us back on top.

BillyVol writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Hmmmm, I would rather throw Simms to the wolves than Bray. Bray needs to beef up some. If Simms does ok this year look for Simms to start next year, and the year after the new qb (Jusin Worley I think) will be here and Bray may never be the starter here. I hope not, but could be.

dvol writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

It's easy to blast your team and the players on it in your first year as coach. None of the players are your recruits. Don't forget the freshman this year are mainly Lane's boys. Sure Dooley held on to most of them but, their still Lane's recruits. Next year's recruits will be Dooley's. So far I don't see a very good Class comming in. The last coach to sign two players from Tennessee High in Bristol Tn. was Bill Battle and we all know how that turned out. We need to face the facts that Hamilton was in a tight place money wise. How many former coaches are we paying now. This will prove to be a bad hiring. I don't think Hamilton will be around to help clean up his latest mess or at least I hope not. Our whole program is now the poster child for how to cheat and still lose. Don't believe me open your eyes and ears. Watch Talking Football on CSS or Sport talk on same channel. ESPN just pick a program on this network from PTI to Jim Rome, or any other show they have about college football. If Tennessee is even mentioned its in a bad light. It is time for a major overall in Knoxville. Starting with Hamilton after the Pearl admission the only thing Hamilton has done right is to have a few bricks layed. I invite anyone to look at our program and tell me reasons why they think were headed in the right direction under Hamilton's Leadership.

hueypilot writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Not to harp on the "recruit great players" mantra, but the game revolved around three huge breakdowns. It doesn't take a great player to wrap up the Oregon running back for a three yard loss and let him break away for a touchdown. It takes proper technique and iron willed discipline to make a football tackle.

It doesn't take a Peyton Manning to throw the ball away or eat it rather than hoist up a wounded duck on your back foot to the wide open side of the field resulting in a game changing pick six. It takes a Daryl Dickey or a Rick Clausen to eat the ball or throw it out of bounds.
It doesn't take an Eric Berry to get down on punt coverage and stay in your lanes and it doesn't take a Dustin Colquit to out kick your coverage. The three breakdowns in the game resulting in the big swing were not a result of having poor players. They were a result of average players playing poorly.

PHAT_VOL writes:

No we are not going to beat Florida not this year or next. The Vols have been quiting now for years now. Examples, Phils last Alabama game,last years games against Va Tech and Ole Miss. The Florida players new it three years ago I new it and anyone honest with themselves new it. Its a problem that coach Dooley will have to correct. I'll be watching this saturday and hoping for a Florida turn over or two and any other break. So maybe just maybe we will play four quarters of BIG ORANGE football.
GO VOLS !

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to bankofdad3:

Not until Haslam is elected governor.

volsxsnos writes:

Spoken like a lot of true losers! That was NOT Tennessee football we saw on Saturday. The only good thing to happen in a game like that, before the whole country I might add, is the END. As a Vol fan who has lived in Nashville my entire life, I can tell you that Adams is right, you're starting to sound like Vandy fans. Come on guys, where is your pride!!!! The ONLY way to achieve perfection is to DEMAND it!!! Starts with Dooley right on down to the water boys, fans included!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

There are different ways to motivate a football team! Tom Landry and more recently Tony Dungy come to mind! Can we please move on from the Fulmer bashing and realize that these things run in cycles, and his came to an end? I mean, he DID win a championship trophy for us! I DO agree that Dooley seems to have his fingers on the pulse of things and I believe (from what I've seen so far) he will bring us back to the top! But this is the second year without Fulmer, so please, let it go! Let's focus on the here and now and move forward!