Some soul-searching for Reveiz

'Didn't look like we were wanting to compete' after trailing

Tennessee defensive back Janzen Jackson trips up Oregon wide receiver D.J. Davis at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010. Vol linebacker Nick Reveiz is at left.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Nick Reveiz could see it coming.

Oregon's Cliff Harris had just returned an interception for a touchdown to put Tennessee down two scores in the middle of the third quarter last Saturday.

"We didn't look like we were wanting to compete," UT's senior middle linebacker said at Monday's weekly news conference.

"We need to be excited. I'm not putting this on all the guys, I'm putting this on myself, too. As a senior, walking away from that game, I took it real hard. I'm trying to have some soul-searching and look at what I need do better as far as on the field and off the field."

UT coach Derek Dooley was disappointed with how his team handled their first bout with adversity. He said Sunday he wants his team to focus more on the intangible process than the scoreboard or the results.

But that lacks a quick and easy solution.

"I think over time it comes," Dooley said. "There's not a pill they can swallow, they're not just going to tomorrow wake up and say, 'I can fight through adversity.' You've got to go in there and get some again and play a little better next time.

"The good news is we've got plenty of adversity ahead of us. We're not going to have to be short of that situation again. We've got plenty of opportunities to work our way through adversity."

That learning process continues Saturday (TV: WVLT, 3:30 p.m.) when 10th-ranked Florida (2-0) visits in the SEC opener for both teams.

"It's like addiction," Dooley said.

"We can't get beat 21-0 in the fourth quarter when it's a 14-point game and not acknowledge something might have happened here mentally. Step two is maybe learning about what happened, and then three is what are some steps to correct it."

The focus for Reveiz is moving on and not dwelling too much on how well the Vols (1-1) played prior to the pick-six.

"You can't take moral victories," Reveiz said.

"That can't be your goal. Well, we lost but this is the positives - again, you do want to look at the positives and you always do want to have a positive outlook.

"But at the same time, (Oregon) beat our butts, let's just be honest here. It's good to look at those positives, but you've got to be realistic.

"Hey, you can be mad about it for 24 hours but then you've got to move on."

Touch Of Gray: The Vols struggled against Oregon in what Dooley calls the "gray zone."

It's the in-between area inside the opponent's 40-yard line that creates the decision to kick a field goal, punt or go for it on fourth down, and it drives Dooley crazy.

"We talk about the red zone, but there's a gray zone that gives me gray hairs, and that's why I call it (that)," he joked.

Reminiscing: Reveiz is no stranger to the rivalry the Vols have with Florida.

Not only will Saturday be his fifth game against the Gators, but the former Farragut High School standout grew up around it as well.

"One of my first memories of Neyland Stadium was 1998, when Jeff Hall kicked that game-winning field goal against Florida," he said.

"It's always been a rivalry in my opinion. This is something I've been looking forward to since I was a little kid."

Status Update: Junior center Cody Pope (stinger) did not practice, and Dooley said Pope is day-to-day. If Pope can't go, Darin Gooch would start and Carson Anderson would be the backup.

Freshman kicker Michael Palardy (groin) did practice.

Power Towel: Second Harvest Food Bank with hold the 19th annual Tim Kerin Memorial Drive before Saturday's game.

Fans can get an orange and white power towel for a $5 donation or give a $1 donation (enough to provide three meals) outside of each gate at Neyland Stadium two hours prior to kickoff.

Patrick Brown is a freelance contributor.

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

Bounce Back!!! Go Vols!!!

rudy123 writes:

We won the Notre Dame at South Bend, when we were behind and we did it largely by not giving up.
We won the LSU game, after Katrina, when we were behind. Hell, I woke up at 0400 and watched the game in Iraq. By 0600, I gave up and went to breakfast and then to work. A guy told me that we had won and I didn't believe him.
There was no way that Rick Clausen led us to a come from behind victory. We did that by not giving up.
There will be a game this season when we are in a similiar situation. How will we react?

govols1234567 writes:

that pick- six was deffinately the pull away for Oregon. But hey, the fact is if we play our a**es off for all 4 quarters we can keep up with a top 10 team. Maybe were not as in bad of shape as we think. only time will tell...

cjones72 writes:

in response to rudy123:

Dont forget the 2006 georgia game when they had us down 24 to 14 at halftime and we came back and won . the final was 52 to 33 or something like that.

everydayisorange writes:

in response to cjones72:

The naysayers don't want to remember theses games. All they can remember is Saturday's outcome. For what ever reason they don't believe in this coaching staff. Some are trolls, some are idiots, and some still want the declining days of Fulmer.

BeatTheHeels writes:

We will be back on top in a few years.Patience is needed.If Poole can run on the Gators we win.If the game is put in Simms hands it will get ugly.Florida's secondary has to be one of the fastest in the nation.Our special teams will have to play a perfect game.
But hey,David slayed Goliath(with a little help)!
Go Vols!

CRFVols writes:

in response to rudy123:

Two great games. I was a young'un listening to John Ward make that field goal call on the radio, and I was down in NO during Katrina and watched that LSU game sitting on a treadmill in the gym of a naval reserve base.

Luckily the storm delay made staying awake too much for me the other night since it was a 2am kick off where I'm at.

utvolfan16 writes:

in response to govols1234567:

agreed!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to naffy:

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to govols1234567:

Or maybe Oregon didn't realize you were going to play smash-mouth football right off the get-go, or that their undersized D-line would have trouble.

Not surprising when you consider that the PAC-10 is a finesse conference.

The way I see it, UT surprised Oregon briefly, then the game settled into what was expected: An outclassed home team getting run out of their own stadium.

As for the idea that UT is going to have a big-time running game this year, you all need to recall that the SEC is a smash-mouth conference, with defenses designed to stop the run. If teams don't respect your passing game, your run game will get smothered.

BTW, for everyone who keeps claiming UT has a shot because UF "has trouble hiking the ball", you should probably remember which of our two teams is the one breaking in a new center this week.

VOLliven2it writes:

Keep talking Lizardgrad89, we are listening. If the Vols have a chance Sat. it will have nothing to do with trouble hiking the ball nor with Rainey sending "killer" texts. It will be because one team, hearing all they cannot do, recalling all they did not do last weekend, decide to step up and play above their means. That's all.
As for Nick Reveiz, don't worry pal. We got smacked hard. It was not your fault. The whole team lost and the whole team can decide to step it up and show some lizards expecting us to be no shows that we are indeed the TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS! One more thing Lizgrad, your boys will be crying at some point this year. I hope it can be this Sat. When it happens I just hope you will have the guts to come around then and talk some smack. We will be here. GO VOLS!

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

Not surprising when you consider that the PAC-10 is a finesse conference.

“you all need to recall that the SEC is a smash-mouth conference, with defenses designed to stop the run.”

Funny you’d say that when your precious Gators had problems stopping the run against 2 grossly inferior teams. Oh, and our back-up center (Gooch) played last week. I don’t recall him screwing up any snaps, so that’s not something I’m overly worried about.

You all might win this game, but you don't have much business talking trash when your team has struggled to find its own identity. Florida will definitely lose a few games this year.

voloffaith writes:

in response to naffy:

D(n)affy ewe ought be in the media since ewe are an accomplished spinner like the left media. You know ,we all know that our qb floated an out pass which the best receiver for was an ugly duckling. So apply all over you have the credentials to succeed at their sham....oops I meant game.

On topic, Nick and Vols will play hard versus alligator shoes team with a chance at victory. Either way I will pull for them all I ask is 100% effort til the last whistle. GO VOLS beat the funky shoes team!

westennvol writes:

Reveiz is a TRUE LEADER!

LibertyVolance writes:

Fundamentals and effort were clearly absent after the pick6. When you're running astride a ball carrier and have the angle, then you opt to bump him down or arm tackle him instead of wrapping his legs up and taking him down, that's a sign of resignation and a tired, defeated defense. The score didn't have to be as bad as it turned out. Definitely, Dooley saw the same things. The effort waned after the interception. Arm tackling and body bumps won't beat good teams like Oregon or slow them down. It won't beat Fla either. But sure tackling will give us a better opportunity. Fla hasn't shown anything equalling the offensive firepower of Oregon yet.

27 yard punts and a punt return for TD, good grief. This has to be eliminated once and for all. I know Palardy has had a groin pull, but we have to get this guy ready to play or face more of the same.

LibertyVolance writes:

in response to voloffaith:

naffy is null and void. On topic, those throws across field to the wide sideline drive me ballistic. Any corner worth his salt and is reading the throw will take it to the house. It happens so often, I don't know why a qb is allowed to make that throw. If you are throwing down the field, even an untimely pick won't be an automatic 6. I get throwing a quick flare to the short side when a cornerback is playing well off the line, but throwing across the field is a low percentage disaster waiting to occur.

mercyseat writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

wooooo..hoooooo! that just fired me up!!! Go Gettem baby!!!! You're a Tennessee Vol baby!!!!!!!

mercyseat writes:

in response to voloffaith:

and dont forget Oregon will be pulling for US! not the Gators! Oregon fans are a class act. Go Vols.

wbsmd1 writes:

Oregon staff clearly identified one on one matchups for their backs and tightend in the passing game that were very successful in the second half.They also adjusted to stop the running game after the first quarter.It is clear making adjustments as the game develops was an overwhelming challenge for Dooley and staff.

oskie_score writes:

"We didn't look like we were wanting to compete,"
"We need to be excited..."
Nick, as a (5th yr) senior your teammates look to you for leadership. If the enthusiasm is waning or doused then light a fire and GET THEM EXCITED!!!
Your dogged determination, discipline, enthusiasm, and hard-nosed play defines you...LEAD man, LEAD!

On another note; Orange & White POWER towel?!? What a GREAT idea AND way (donate) to help those less fortunate!

oskie_score writes:

in response to rudy123:

Thank you for your service, rudy123.

God bless you and ALL of our men & women overseas.

oskie_score writes:

in response to wbsmd1:

Good observation of Oregon's adjustments, but let's not be too quick to point blame...meaning CDD & Staff could very well have made counter-adjustments but the youth and inexperience of the players in addition to their fatigue may have prevented those adjustments from being properly executed.

IMO, the right man in place---Coach Derek Dooley. This is a rebuilding (1,2, or 3 yrs) period, let's be patient and supportive.

KC_Vol writes:

Oregon played that no huddle, quick snap offense all night long and our boys just completely ran out of steam. I'm sure a couple of the guys just quit giving it their all but, for the most part, I think they played hard but just didn't have anything left to give in the third quarter. Maybe is the offense would have stayed on the field for more than a three and out every time we got the ball the defense would have played much better.

10ECMATT writes:

Great overtime win over the Gators coming. Go Vols!!!!!

foglineduck writes:

Oregon is pulling for you folks against the Gators! Good luck with the rebuilding process. It takes years to accomplish but that doesn't mean there won't be moments of brilliance and success along the way to reward your patience. I have come to view the Tennessee culture as really special and look forward to meeting again in a couple years. I hope the Autzen crazies will be gracious and hospitable!