Business as usual with Pearl leading way

With all due respect to the ongoing NCAA investigation, Tennessee junior Scotty Hopson said the men's basketball team has a more pressing issue on its mind.

"This team is very hungry, and there's unfinished business left on the court,'' Hopson said after the first day of team-individual workouts on Thursday. "This is when the team starts to gel.''

UT coach Bruce Pearl, who has been part of the well-documented NCAA probe, conducted the one-hour workout in the Pratt Pavilion in routine fashion.

The sanctions from UT against Pearl and his assistants include a reduction in salaries and lengthy suspensions of off-campus recruiting privileges beginning Sept. 24.

For Pearl, who's entering his sixth year as coach of the Vols, that meant directing enthusiasm, challenges and energy at his players.

"There's certain things we're going to choose to do better than anyone in the country!'' Pearl commanded at one point.

The Vols worked quickly through offensive and defensive drills, with Pearl putting an emphasis on his team getting up and down the court quickly.

"One of the things we emphasized today was the advance pass,'' Pearl said. "One of the most difficult things for teams to do defensively is to get back in transition.

"So we put our guys on the baseline faster and quicker than anyone in the country.''

This version of the Vols is deeper, longer and faster than any of Pearl's previous teams.

UT senior Steven Pearl said he wasn't surprised it was business as usual.

"He's not going to change how he is with us in that he's the same coach he was before last week, the same motivator,'' Steven Pearl said.

"He's ready to get back to coaching, and he's excited, and we're excited.''

Hopson and Steven Pearl said the team has talked amongst themselves as the events unfolded over the past week.

"We all talked off court, and we can't let things effect what we're trying to do,'' Hopson said. "This team is behind our coaching staff 100 percent.''

Steven Pearl said the best way for the team to support their coaches - and his father - is with their actions and efforts.

"It's been tough, but we want to rally around our coaches,'' Steven Pearl said. "We want to keep making progress on the court and in the class room.''

Hubert Returns: UT senior walk-on point guard Michael Hubert is doing well in his return from the season ending knee injury he suffered last December.

Hubert, who suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and mensicus in his right knee, said he's feeling 100 percent.

Golf Outing: Pearl will host the Bruce Pearl Fore The Kids Golf Outing at Gettysvue Country Club today.

"Money raised will go toward early detection of cancer in children, as well as for Camp Koinonia,'' Pearl said.

Pearl takes part in Camp Koinonia in April each year, which benefits East Tennessee children with disabilities.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

1vavolfan writes:

Wow, some coverage of something that actually happens on the court. Was Bruce's ex-wife or the guy from Illionois unavailable for comment? Keep up the good work KNS!

tovolny writes:

We still love you Coach Pearl. God can forgive you, we all know that, and most of us "real-a-teers" will forgive. Your good out weighs the bad. Keep it clean from here, and we will take care of you as long as you wear the Tennessee orange. When the opponent's fans start ragging you with biting chants, just keep in mind that the Volunteers are near.

dqnapier#225584 writes:

Is it me, or is it tough to be a Vol fan sometimes? I was really looking forward to a great hoops year to get me through the mediocre football season (I think DD will get it done but will take 3-4 years), and now we have the phone call and picture drama.

I can't decide if I'm going to forgive BP or not on this one. I am/was one of his biggest fans from early in his first season at UT, but this NCAA stuff has really gotten me down. Can anyone cheer up a frustrated Vol fan?

wigmeister writes:

He's a great coach. Looking forward to a good season. Everyone makes mistakes. He owned up to his. Now let's win both league & national championships.

Brentwoodvol writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Amen bro, Amen

OwensboroVol writes:

I guess all the people who would rather talk about a bunch of bull are offended that the Team is actually practicing. I guess they all felt like Coach Pearl should be doing everything except what he is paid to do, coach Basketball. I really dislike the fair weather fans who were jumping up and down about Coach Pearl being the second coming last spring when we made the elite 8 and now can't wait to get him fired. There is still one comment that really gets me, is some bone head who said,"things just keep getting uglier and uglier." I don't remember who it was but it was about "THE PICTURE"!!!!!!!!!!. Since the Football team is rebuilding, I guess Coach Pearl did give the fair weather fans something to talk about.

wildcatbasketball writes:

in response to Brentwoodvol:

Amen bro, Amen

Why does everything ALWAYS go back to Calapari? He is not under investigation Pearl is!!!

dqnapier#225584 writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Plasticman, I have to be objective and say that if any other coach in America (especially Calipari) pulled what BP pulled, I would be against him and that program. You can't just blindly support your leaders if they are corrupt and it's proven they are corrupt. That's why we have the same bufoons keep getting elected to represent us in D.C. because people keep letting them get away with dishonest acts.

It's true that making impermissible phone calls and entertaining recruits at your house are not really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but the truth is BP lied about it.

All I'm saying is he REALLY let me down and I'm not sure at this moment in time if I can forgive him. That's all.

Brentwoodvol writes:

What's funny is people keep talking like he got off with a free pass. I think 1.5 mil is a pretty big price, plus all the negative stuff. He now has to rebuild his name which I think he will on and off the court. As far as coach Cal, he has been caught everywhere he's been and somehow gets free pass. This is 1st time for CBP and I think he has paid enough!!!

eduardo writes:

Still feel the sting of that loss against MSU in the final 8...Damn the torpedoes Coach time to get busy!!!

feathersax writes:

in response to wildcatbasketball:

Simply because calimari has a history & WILL get your kitties in hot water. He's also tried to put CBP in a bad light since day one...so troll here for now & wait for your day of reckoning.

veinsoforange writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Ditto. CBP has done more positve things for our B-ball program than anyone else. He made a simple mistake. Leave him alone. Have you not made a simple mistake in your life???

Besides, the mistake he made (be it a wrong one), was an attempt to protect the University, the Team, The Program, and us the fans. Yes, he quickly realized what he had done was wrong. That is the sign of the good man we have all come to know.

Let's move on. If the NCAA doesn't tag us with some heafty sanctions, it will be business as usual on our way to an eventual Final Four.

Get behind our coach. Just imagine how he feels. He was literally on top of the world and now he will have to work his way through this media and emotional maze.

I actually saw the man walking alone on a campus sidewalk just hours before the news came out and believe me, I knew something was wrong then. I had never seen the man with such a distraut face. He was an emotional wreck. Let's get behind the man that has brought soooooooooo much excitement to our city, area, region, and College Basketball in general. He does need our support!! He's still my favorite of all time. His passion, blood, sweat, & tears spent building our program should be highlighted!! Go CBP! Go Vols!

TommyJack writes:

in response to wildcatbasketball:

Which proves there is no justice.

dqnapier#225584 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Which proves there is no justice.

Best post I have seen in awhile! I was thinking the same thing....how can BP get in trouble with NCAA and not Cal? Unbelievable

dqnapier#225584 writes:

So would all this have happened (NCAA investigation of hoops) if Kiffin had not been here?

dqnapier#225584 writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Of course I have lied pl3. I never said I hadn't. And believe me I of all people understand what a fantastic job BP has done since he got here. I'm just trying to look at the big picture on this thing.

Even if the NCAA doesn't stomp all over our balls (which they're going to), BP has lost all credibility with those outside UT. He will no longer be welcomed by the national media, which is one of his strengths. And our recruiting will suffer big time.

I don't know what the answer is as far as if he should stay or go, all I'm saying is it sucks and I'm just really disappointed.

PEYDAY writes:

It sure is hard being a Vol fan sometimes...but then again if it was easy anyone could do it!!! Go Vols!

VOLliven2it writes:

Business as usual, maybe for the team but the NCAA is lurking. Coach, you lied to them and they do not take kindly to such action. You will pay more than the lost salary. But worst of all, the University of Tennessee Men's baskeball program will pay for your mistake. Is that really business as usual? Some of us hope it will not be so bad but we have no guarantee. It's on you whatever they do.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

I have greatly enjoyed the BB team's performance since CBP arrived at UT. That said I do not enjoy having any coach or member of the university break the law in the process of doing his job. He has , according to all I read and hear, lied about both recruit visits and phone calls. That is not what I would expect out of a UT coach or official. But I also do not care for some internet whiner to call me a fair weather fan or any other names. If you don't like the fact that I am concerned about the performance of these coaches then that is your right but don't think that gives you the right to make derogatory comments about me or others who feel the same way. I expect UT to compete as hard as possible but not to the point of cheating and lying. We do not need to do that to be successful. We are UT

CCLC writes:

"The athletic department in general is a wreck now thanks to their men's basketball coach admitting that he lied to the NCAA. It was Bruce Pearl doing the lying, so you know it was a well-told, charismatic lie ending with an increased admiration for Pearl, some backslapping, and possibly some energetic light whoring. It was fun, but it is sadly runs counter to the interests of the University of Tennessee and cost Pearl $3 million and possibly much more down the road. Pat Summitt is standing around wondering when any of you are going to grow a c*ck bigger than hers and act like men. "

Knoxvillian86 writes:

in response to wildcatbasketball:

Because he wins and Vols know as long as he is at Kentucky UT is playing for 2nd place at best.

volinuptonky writes:

Pearl should not have lied to the NCAA, but something else needs to be addressed. Why is it having someone to your home for dinner or any other issue is wrong and is considered a perk? This is a stupid rule that the NCAA has. I have an inlaw who teaches in a music department of another major SEC university and when he recruits potential students to come and be a part of his program he can invite them to his home and it is considered appropriate. So why is this so wrong? The NCAA exploits our student athletes by making major $$$s through television contracts. Many of the student athletes could use some extra spending money at school but cannot even get a part time job as that would be considered a perk from a booster. Any other student could get a job. So the issue for me is why was this wrong? Pearl should not have lied. What he should do is challenge the NCAA for having such stupid rules. There are rules that are important such as fraudulently fixing transcripts or trying to coax recruits by giving families special financial perks, but having them to your home? Give me a break. thanks for letting me vent. Can't wait for BBall season and For anyother BBall fans, Go Braves all the way to the World Series.

dcap8424 writes:

in response to budd#207344:

No one on this coaching staff broke the "law" to do their job, as far as we know at least. They broke some recruiting "rules." I don't think anyone is going to prison.

I'd like to call you a couple of names, but I don't doubt your allegiance to UT. You should be concernced about what is going on, but think about what actually happened.

You call Pearl a cheater? Is he gaining an advantage by talking to and having UT commitments at his house? Every single one of these players that were mentioned were UT commits at the time they were there. Selby and Craft were verbal commits at the time. Did their visit to Pearl's house somehow give us an advantage to their recruiting... obviously not.

I think everyone is blowing this out of proportion. Yes, he lied and he shouldn't have, but what coach in the nation hasn't made a couple extra phone calls or sent a few text messages. I would venture to say very few.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to dqnapier#225584:

I'm going to go to the games and out of town games to support the players and the program. I think if you can focus on those kids and supporting them for the sacrifice they've made to get better, that you can still enjoy the program.

As for Pearl, I cannot and will not support him. What he has done is unforgiveable. I think his salary should be reduced to his current market value (which is probably near zero), and he should be kept as coach through the upcoming sanctions and then evaluated at the end of that period, UNLESS we get a chance somehow to hire a good coach in the meantime. But don't hold your breath on that, our program will be radioactive to any good coach as long as we are under sanctions.

ellerbee123 writes:

in response to dqnapier#225584:

Yeah, shove it. You were NO VOL fan..... Hope that works...

in response to CCLC:

You put your comment in quotes but provide no citation for it? Did you just make this up and put quotes around it to boost your credibility? Was this just some half-witty comment from one of your drinking buddies? Was it from some anti-UT blogger? In any case, this was pretty low of you. If that is what you think, have the nerve to own it; if someone else said it, tell us who, so we can judge how seriously to take it. Personally, I doubt this is anything other than part of an imaginary conversation you had with one of your alternate personalities.

dcap8424 writes:

in response to TarHeelsRuleFootball:

Memphis is a big time basketball school? Since when? Have they won anything besides the highly coveted Conference USA championship? They've never even made it to a final four as far as the NCAA is concerned.

UT basketball is on the map. Where we go from here is yet to be determined. I'd be excited to have Butler on our schedule too. They're a good team.

Why hide behind a tarheels username? It's obvious you're just another Memphis fan. No tarheels fan cares enough about our team to bother pestering us on our local newspaper's website. At least have some stones... coward.

Bubbanuts2010 writes:

in response to wildcatbasketball:

ellerbee123 writes:

Upon further reflection, I have a few additional comments to make relative to this past week. (1)The judgmental "trash" posted by some of the so-called Volunteer fans has been pathetic. (2) The University of Tennessee DOES NOT DESERVE to have Bruce Pearl as our coach. If I were him, I would tell this University to "take this job and shove it." So many of the "fans" have proved themselves to be nothing more than fair weather fans. (3)Bruce, you can get a coaching job at numerous universities throughout this country but for us dumb-f Tennesseans, it's not about winning. That is obvious by all the idiots who continually post their undying love for Fulmer. (4) I am sure if you leave UT, your new employer and the new fans will welcome you with open arms. You came into this football only town and turned this basketball program around. The boys who played before you came said they could hear personal conversations being carried on in the stands. But, now they cannot do that because at any game, 18,000 is a low number. (5) The "true" Volunteer fans will miss you and wish you well. The other self-righteous ones who probably never attended a game can feel all warm and fuzzy when we return to a second or third rate basketball program. Truly, we are undeserving of you as our coach. If I were you, I would start seeking employment elsewhere. Now, for all you self-righteous posters who never lied about anything in your life, I hope you get what you are asking for.

ellerbee123 writes:

One more addition to my previous comments. It appears it is better for a coach at a major university go out to a restaurant and get it on with another coach's wife than "lie" about something. Perhaps you self-righteous bunch could better tollerate that type action by a coach. Louisville had no problem with Petino getting it on big time in a restaurant with one of his coach's wives but the "necks" at Tennessee go crazy over a few hamburgers and hot dogs in someone's backyard. Maybe you would prefer the above type action - OH well, with the mentality of some of you, you probably would................................

budd#207344 writes:

in response to dcap8424:

When we start to choose the rules or laws we will follow and the ones we will not follow we jeopardize the society. Look at immigration. Same is true with college sports. CBP knew what he was doing and he knew it was a violation. Ask him if this should just be ignored. I think you might find his answer interesting. No, he did not gain an advantage here. But that does not excuse violating the rule and then lying about that violation. As I said earlier we do not have to do that. We are UT. If you do not like a rule or a law work to get it changed but that does not justify violating them at your descretion

budd#207344 writes:

in response to ellerbee123:

Louisville is a trash school and always has been. Why don't you go root for them since they seem to fit better with your ethics (or lack thereof)

ellerbee123 writes:

in response to budd#207344:

I have no ethical problems. I am also not biased and closed minded. I will continue to support UT both financially and otherwise as I have for 20 years. I will continue to not judge people as you have.....

ellerbee123 writes:

in response to NadaVol:

Oops my bad. Petino did not get it on with a coach's wife. He did have sex in the restaurant with another coach there....

ellerbee123 writes:

in response to NadaVol:

OKAY, I see your point now. In your world it is much better for a married coach to "get it on" in a public restaurant than it is to cook hamburgers and hot dogs in one's backyard because that is not against the NCAA rules... If your married, I hope your wife agrees....but I do feel kind of sorry for her....

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to ellerbee123:

The difference here is that Pitino is living his life by his ethical standards. They may be different than yours, but what right do you have to impose your beliefs on him?

Looks like you are an adherent of the new American credo: "Everyone has the freedom in this country to do what I think they should do, live how I think they should live, act like I think they should act, and pray like I think they should pray."

As for Pearl, well, that's another issue entirely. Working for an NCAA member school, he falls under the RULES of the NCAA. You violate the rules, you get penalized.

You present a strawman argument and it has no bearing on the Pearl situation, OR the Pitino situation, whatsoever.

TigerfanAlways writes:

Cal sends his love and support to Pearl.

dcap8424 writes:

in response to NadaVol:

I'm sorry I fail to see where anyone has said anything about how many phone calls were made over what period of time. This was 2 years ago, so we know it happened then, but we don't know if it's happened since then.

The same with the recruits at his house. Why couldn't this have been an isolated incident? And if it wasn't isolated who's to say he didn't only have UT commits over?

I refuse to jump to your conclusions until we know more. You may be right, but until we know for sure I'll continue to believe in Pearl because he's given me no reason not to.

dcap8424 writes:

in response to NadaVol:

Wow, you get on to ellerbee for twisting facts and you come up with this?

We "pay" players to come to UT and HUNDREDS of indiscretions? Where are your sources for any of this drivel? You can't just say things and they become true. NEWS FLASH - That's not how it works.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to ellerbee123:

I'm sorry I misconstrued "'necks from Tennessee" and the comments about Pitino vs Pearl as judgemental.

PoochPuntOn3rdDown writes:

in response to dqnapier#225584:

The violations may still have occurred, but the 'AA wouldn't have put all our programs under a microscope without all of Kiffin's chicanery, leading to an all-sports investigation.

They're investigating our BASEBALL program for criminy sakes!

mborokyvol writes:

with all the negative press surrounding UT, an upset win over Fla. could do more for the athletes,fans,all coaches,and AD Hamilton than any political move the university could make right now! if UT could get people talking about a big win, i think some of talk surrounding UT would die down. it would definately give the fanbase a huge boost in spirit!

doubledeuce22Q writes:

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!...I still and will continue to support you. Ask any major recruit what all they were given/offered and then talk to me. It may be illegal, but it is a front and center issue with college athletics. Charles Barkley said today in an interview that he accepted money "many times" when he was a senior in high school and at Auburn. Face it folks...what Pearl has done (or let's say what has come out so far) is minor compared to what goes on at the MAJORITY of the large programs. I love how we are so relevant in the sports world that fans from other teams (i.e. Mempuss and wildkitty U) would spend their precious time to come on to a Knoxville based newspaper website just to try and rile us up...just goes to show how jelous and scared they truly are. Mempuss can't stand that they are nobody since Cal left and Can'tucky because there sure-fire national title last year fell short of how far UT went in the tourney (1 extra day...check it fools). GO BIG ORANGE! (they love it when we say that)

ellerbee123 writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

Your wrong AND I am right...................

ellerbee123 writes:

in response to doubledeuce22Q:

You and I are soooooo right in this situation it is not even funny. You might even think we are lawyers.

ellerbee123 writes:

in response to budd#207344:

Referring to "necks from Tennessee" is no way being judgmental....facts are facts. PLEASE, unless you can intelligently argue your point, just keep it to yourself........I AM RIGHT AND NO ONE EVER WINS AN ARGUMENT WITH ME...................

budd#207344 writes:

in response to ellerbee123:

I thought that was the case. I should have known better from the beginning. I apologize. I was sure you are an A******. But I had to keep talking to you. Oh well live and learn

vestc#256986 writes:

Much ado about nothing. The NCAA needs to worry about schools paying kids with big money, cars, etc and getting kids qualified with bogus tests. Sometimes rules can be so stupid they are hard to avoid...like having kids over for a BBQ and a picture. Whoop e do! A extra call a day....whoopie too! Yes he lied but regretted it and told the truth. Pearl will be given credit for that because otherwise if the punishment is to harsh...coaches will just keep their mouth shut. NCAA must reward belated truth.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

and just think she came up with that all by herself

bless her heart

BufordTJustice writes:

With our luck, this will be the year we win the National Championship, only to have it vacated next year.