CBS sports broadcaster Tim Brando thinks Derek Dooley is up to UT challenge

Full event details »

CBS sports broadcaster Tim Brando gives a thumbs-up for Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley.

Certainly that topic will be discussed today (TV: WVLT, 3:30 p.m.) when UT plays host to Florida in an SEC game at Neyland Stadium.

"This challenge for (Dooley) is one that I think he can handle," Brando said. "If the concern with Tennessee is, 'Is Derek Dooley up to the challenge?' then I think that's a very easy question to answer.

"It's yes, he's capable of handling what's in front of him, but I mean, the deck is stacked, and fans of Tennessee, if they don't understand that, then you know what, then you're living in a fog because there was a lot of movement in the aftermath of the Lane Kiffin exit and I think that's been well-documented, but he took a program that not only didn't have players, but didn't have a lot of support and improved it in both areas by the time he left."

Kiffin was hired as UT's coach in late November of 2008, not long after Phillip Fulmer was fired. Kiffin left UT last January for the Southern California job and was replaced by Dooley.

Fulmer, now a studio analyst for CBS College Sports, was on the teleconference when Brando made the comments about Dooley and Kiffin.

Fulmer, who has supported UT's hiring of Dooley, didn't respond to Brando's comments, nor was he asked to respond.

Brando said he was impressed with the job that Dooley did as head coach at Louisiana Tech, where he was 17-20 in three seasons, including 4-8 in 2009.

"I've gotten a good look at Derek's first three years at Louisiana Tech, and I realize that the stage is different in Knoxville than it is in Ruston, Louisiana, but Derek is up to the challenge of going out and coaching a team that's outmanned in both leagues," Brando said.

"He did all of that last year with a MASH unit at Louisiana Tech. He didn't win a lot of games last year but he was competitive in just about all of them including one in Baton Rouge in the SEC against LSU and one against Boise State at home on a Thursday night."

CBS's Gary Danielson, who will be the analyst for today's game, said during the teleconference that UT must overcome a lack of stability in the coaching staff - particularly at offensive coordinator - that began several years ago.

"That transition and change is affecting Tennessee, there's no doubt about it," Danielson said. "The players that they recruit, you get some, you miss some, everybody does that, but the continuity of the program, changing head coaches, changing offensive coordinators, has caught up with this program a little bit. If Derek Dooley's your guy. … You need to settle down and take a plan and build on the plan. It's going to take a few years."

Dave Link is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bcdvol#234255 writes:

I thought Gary Danielson would have moved to Denver to continue stalking Mr. Tebow

VOLFORLIFE writes:

I'm patient. I can wait...as long as we don't have repeats of last Saturday's debacle when we had some players who quit on their team. Play hard, play with heart, and play til the final whistle. That's the Tennessee way!

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

57TexasVol writes:

This is dead-on. Too many fans living in fog about the state of Tennessee football. At least a 3-4 year project to break into the top 20-and not just for one or two weeks.

Skullz_VOL writes:

Just compete and build!! It'll take time...

whistlinwingman writes:

in response to bcdvol#234255:

LMBO...me too.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Being competitive is fine - for first 3 years. After that, he has to be winning big time. Must go 9-3 every year after yr. 3 at a minimum or he will be fired.

That's a fact, Jack.

Cash writes:

I agree 100% with the comments from the talking heads. Tn fans were all hyped and ready for the long haul earlier when CDD was introduced. but a bunch of em hauled ash during the Oregon game.

that is NOT support. shocking that the masses left in droves at a time when the Vols need support the most. which is now, when times are worse than bad. or is it a shock ? I'm sure the Vols felt the love the fans showed by their early exodus.

sure the team just fell apart. but this a rebuilding. of the worst kind. face it, deal with it. the fans that left embarrassed our team. in front of the whole country.

support the Vols till the end or just stay home.

ncvolfan58 writes:

ncvol17 writes:

Just a thought - I wonder what the girls of the Mouse's Ear are doing who were working the pole when I was in school 20 rs ago....I note the ad for the M/E here on the site...

ncvol17 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

I wonder how many years it would take Vandy to break a .500 record in the WAC? Too many would be a safe bet.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

VandyGrad, what is a "peice" of cake?

smokey_vols writes:

in response to Cash:

support the Vols till the end or just stay home.

AMEN. It was sickening to see. We are so young it will take a couple of years so these idiots need to be patient.

arkyvol writes:

hope he's right.

tapeworm writes:

According to Tim Brando, ".....he (Dooley) took a program that not only didn't have players, but didn't have a lot of support and improved it in both areas..."

My question is, since when didn't Dooley not have a lot of support? Seems like the majority of UT fans have been most generous and unwavering in their support of Dooley. I'm quite sure the perception among the "talking heads" is that Tennessee fans are irrational and impatient. I believe that is a total mischaracterization of the truth. While UT fans have never had to face the kind of adversity they're being forced to deal with right now, I'm quite sure they're capable of doing it - just like their team.

And, Brando, and his ilk, needs to understand and report that.

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

in response to Cash:

support the Vols till the end or just stay home.

I have been a Vol fan since before I knew what it meant to be a fan for totally selfish reasons. I'll always be a Vol fan and I support this program and these coaches.

tapeworm writes:

in response to naffy:

Exactly what are you agreeing to? And, if you want to fire Dooley, just who do you want to take his place? Urban Meyer and Nick Saban are set, Will Muschamp says - "not interested," along with (cheater) Butch Davis, Troy Calhoun, Jon Gruden, Brian Kelly, etc., etc., etc.

We're not talking about a top tier job here anymore. Get your expectations in line with reality and hope Dooley can turn this thing back into the Tennessee of Neyland and yes, even Fulmer. Dickey and Majors never achieved Fulmer's level of success.

Cash writes:

in response to tapeworm:

And, Brando, and his ilk, needs to understand and report that.

"My question is, since when didn't Dooley not have a lot of support? Seems like the majority of UT fans have been most generous and unwavering in their support of Dooley."

sure as hell wasn't in the 4th quarter last week was it.

did most of the most generous and unwavering fans sell their tickets to the Ducks ?

gimme a friggin break Elvis. you don't have a clue. I think someone just stole your Lexus.

thereturnoftriumph writes:

i find TB funny and refeshing, but he has love for just one thing, and that is TB!

Cash writes:

in response to BradleyJKinkaid:

I became a Vol fan also before I had a clue. I remember watching the Bill Battle show in Va when I was a little shaver. something just happened.

and I too will be a Vols fan. forever.
win, lose, get madder n heck or celebrate the big orange on a saturday. I will always be a Vols fan.

right on brother.

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

When adversity is created on Saturday afternoon's: if the team you are coaching has one more point then the other team, that is all that matters. Time will only tell if Derek Dooley can lkead this team and coaching staff to do this. The appropriate question is time will tell. We get to see it again tomorrow, hopelfully no moral victories. A win is a win and a Loss is a Loss.

Classof72 writes:

"Brando, who is studio host of CBS Football Today, said during a media teleconference Monday that Dooley is the right man for the UT job."

How would he know? Has Brando coached? Recruited? He watches football and talks about it. I agree that Dooley is the right man for the job, but what do I know about it? Why ask Brando? As the Bama player said, "Opinions are like behinds, everybody has one." Nick Saban thinks Dooley is the right man for the job. That means something. I'll say one thing for Brando; he's won nearly as many games as Lane Kiffin.

Titan writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

What was the crowd like at the Vandy/LSU game last week? About 75% LSU/25% Vandy. And the Vandy fans that showed up got there late and left early. Keep supporting your team there grad - you do go to your games - don't you?

The7Maxims writes:

in response to tapeworm:

I disagree. We have too much money and too much history/ tradition. The facilities are among the top 5 or 10 in the country. We might not have the recruiting base of Florida or USC, but we have brought in a ton of talent over the years: Jamal Lewis, Reggie White, and Peyton Manning are all NFL Hall of Famers.

Hamilton has proven to be a weak leader. The sooner he gets fired, the sooner we move on. He's made too many mistakes, and he hasn't been held accountable for those mistakes, which include multiple issues regarding contracts that have come back to bite us (Phil's, Lane Kiffins, Monte Kiffin, and Bruce Pearls). He could hang his hat on the Bruce Pearl hire, but not anymore. He has botched two football coaching searches (I like coach Dooley and I hope he'll work). Gruden said 'no' because he's an NFL guy. Calhoun would have taken it in 2008, but Hammy took Kiffin. Muschamp couldn't take it because of his ties to Texas and Georgia. Kiffin left so late and abruptly that it would be a problem no matter what. Teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Miami, Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame, Bama have all fallen, but they all have come back because of they have money, history, tradition and fan bases that would not accept mediocrity. We'll be back.

ChattMac writes:

Not a top tier job??? A win is a win and a loss is a loss. So, a school with 100k plus stadium that is nearly always sold out is not a top-tier job and a 50 point loss is the same as a last second loss by 1?? I'll take the team that lost in the last second over the team that lost by 50 any day since the team that lost by 50 didn't have a chance and obviously sucks.
Kiffin was the mistake, he set our program back 5 to 10 years. Had we hired somebody else last year, we'd be winning this year. We may not beat Florida, but it's not hardly fair. They play us harder than anybody they play all year. They reload, have more depth and the early season game has always benefited them more that it has benefited us. Back in the day I bet we would have beaten them most years if we had played them last like we did in 2001. And what a great game it was too!! That's one that needs to be changed, but Florida is obviously not interested as it benefits them to play it early.
We hired Dooley because it was the best we could get at the time. I came from a business that is tough to work your way to the top in. Those who have been successful with less to work with are the ones who deserve a shot. Dooley lost to good teams and played them close. Don't you think he could beat LSU with UT's players?? Give him time and I think we can beat anybody.

7_Game_Maxims writes:

The fact of the matter is that we were all like big lottery winners. Through the 90's and early 2000's we got handed a big chunk of cash and acted like it would never run out. Then reality set in. Most of us do not remember Tennessee's success under Neyland and truly never expected to see a National Championship in our life times. It came. We spent like redneck playboys on a cruise ship and now we're broke and blaming the bank. Hey, it was a fun ride but now it's time to buy more tickets. Either put up or jump on the train that's always pulling for the Championship teams. You've seen them, you never knew they were an Alabama fan unitl they won the NC. Or "I was always a Saints fan." Phooey! (I actually wrote that) Be real, be a Vols fan or GTF out! We don't even want you in the stadium.

7_Game_Maxims writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Your last sentence proves you're idiocy.

tennezz writes:

in response to bigorangegoon:

Half, They would be lucky if they beat any of them!!!

AncientVolFan writes:

Actually the way I read the article Brando's comments about taking a program with no players and no support and improving it references Kiffen. It's the he left it part, don't think Dooley has left yet.
I think John Adams and a lot of fans would agree Kiffen did a lot more for the UT than Fulmer ever did.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to naffy:

Once a gator troll always a gator troll. You had better worry about your own house. Florida's reputation is taking a nose dive. Since saint Tebow has left Florida will no longer be the chosen one. UT is on the way up, although it may take a little time, while Florida will become Thug U.

Bleedsgreen writes:

Brando has always struck me as more objective than necessary for a host who exclusively broadcasts SEC games. As an outsider I've respected him as a TV journalist over the years.

Now I'm not an expert on UF or UT football. I started to poke around this site because of last week's game. But I've always wanted to live in the South for a time because y'all bleed football. I especially love how many ladies love football down there.

Brando is legit. And I think Dooley will turn things around. I like his frank assessments; it shows to me his realism and the commitment to hard work. As most have said he will have 2-3 years to incrementally take Vol football back to competing at the highest level. I'm at least hopeful and quite optimistic at a gut level that he has a chance.

Now to the game: As a die hard Oregon guy, I have now watched last week's game for the third time. The basic consensus of the talking heads around my neck of the woods is that the Vols played good football for majority of the game. Even after UO went up by two TDs I didn't see any obvious signs of quit. (except some fans) Most around here think Tennessee will win their share of games this year and in Poole u guys have a top shelf RB who runs with purpose. If Simms can learn to assess coverages and not telegraph his throws, the offense will not lose games by default. I was impressed with your front seven also. Florida will struggle early in this game if the fans bring it. Its up to the UT offense to punch in sevens instead of threes. (just like the last game) As the game settles down, and UF starts making plays, will UT have the lead? Vol's ego is fragile right now. Period. A lead could mean everything as to how they compete in the second half.

Prediction: I've come to appreciate the chitchat here and may even come back once in a blue moon. UT: 27 UF:21

Bleedsgreen writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

I would have to agree with you. Too many fans simply look at the superficial cover. How many wins and not the context-- either too lazy or busy to look into the depths. Your take confirms my instincts that you guys have a keeper in Dooley. And as said above I have a lot of respect for Brando; I think he calls it like it is for the most part.

Thoughtfulness and staying informed leads to better opinions and conclusions than those who only shoot from the hip.

Good luck to the Vols this year! Orange isn't my favorite color but I'm starting to warm up to it now. ;)

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to naffy:

How much did you pay? Are you going to watch on TV?

psychovol2 writes:

All true and I'm just worried the NCAA might pile on and add several years to the rebuilding process. If that happens then the Kiffin experiment is the worst debacle in UT history. DD is the man but let's be real, the debacle started on PF's watch and the hires he did or didn't make.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to Classof72:

Because he's on t.v. So he must know it all. Or if you're an actor in Hollywood you know it all too since you are so in touch with reality. Maybe yhr next interview about U.T. sports should be with Oprah.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Matt's helmet visor is now in 3D....Get ready for the air show.

iowavol writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

Spot on. I think Brando was talking out both sides of his mouth. First he says Dooley is taking over in the mess left in the wake of Kiffin leaving and then says Kiffin improved both support and talent. I totally disagree that Kiffin improved the talent level on this team. We are down so many players right now because of Kiffin. I for one would really like to see BJ Coleman behind center this year. I watched him in their opener and he stood in the pocket - under immense pressure and threw accurately down field.

orangecountyvols writes:

For a big game like this one, first bummer I saw was reading Gary Danielson would be at the mike. Good grief. Does that mean his "get all the names/facts wrong" sidekick Lundquist will be with him? If so, there are about 7 remaining hours to find the mute button on the t.v. Seriously, it won't take long to determine the tone of the broadcast with these guys.
Regardless of the score, they are normally homers.

Finally, remember this on all our topics. Recognize the trolls..........scroll over them to ignore them and of course, just don't read anything the Daffys, ZZ's, DC's, so called Vandy alum, have to say.

We talk about people not being on their own sites, but the truth is simply...........these people are in reality very weird. This is my opinion of the trolls.

Vol fans, have a great day and no matter what happens, hang in there with the Big Orange.

UTmooboy writes:

Look back at the article and see if it makes more sense that Brando was talking about Dooley leaving LaTech better than when he got there. He is trying to make a point that Dooley did a great job recruiting players and developing talent at LaTech before he left to take over as OUR head coach

psychovol2 writes:

in response to iowavol:

If you catch all the nuances and inferences in Brando's remarks, they're really a knock on Fulmer and I couldn't agree more. If Kiffin made improvements than Fulmer's regime ran UT into the ground and a bottom not seen at UT since 1988.

jjsteel writes:

in response to ncvol17:

Not much of a club if they have to advertise.

OakRidgeBredVolNNashville writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Vandygrad, it's "piece" of cake, not "peice". LMAO @a "Vandygrad" who can't spell. Now, find your way back to your own board. Oh, that's right, Vandy doesn't have one.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to tapeworm:

And, Brando, and his ilk, needs to understand and report that.

I took this comment to be last year with Kiffin.

Vol737 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Ok...here you go again. More proof your overpriced education has failed you. Dooley went 7-5 his second year and a bowl game, graduating his entire starting lineup and was plagued with injuries his 3rd year. You're not talking an upper echelon program dimwit. He did A LOT with very little that second season. This is what most of the best coaches in the country have done...taken on projects at less than desirable programs and built a resume. By the way, about this time last year, Dooley was one of the coaches to watch according to all the college football analysts, came recommended by Saban and Will Muschamp. I know you get your rocks off by lobbing grenades in here, so keep it up. You just keep proving your total lack of being able to grasp the big picture.

8ball writes:

in response to BamaBeacher:

Get a life man, get a life , get a life ...please get a life..If this is all you have to do, get a life...

Voltrucker546 writes:

in response to psychovol2:

I agree about the NCAA.

I thought that when Cut left PF would hire the best available OC and build a dynasty

I just like the announcer to keep it simple and not try to entertain or show me his football knowledge.

Drive Carefully and GBO

Neyland writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

VandyGrad, the only two sports Vandy contributes to the SEC of any signifigance is basketball(i truely respect what your coach has done there) and chess. One bowl victory in what 50 years makes yall a power house in football now? I dont think so. If I want an opinion from Vandy it will be at the hospital on weather I need surgery or not. Last but not least a shout out to my boy J.B. who will be reading this later. GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hikerdude writes:

We don't know if Dooley is up to the challenge or not. He hasn't been on the job long enough to know that. And, even if he is up to the job, its going to take him five years to get us back to a level where we are competitive with Ala and Fla.

WytheVol writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

That was my interpretation too, and I agree with you. "HE" finished off the division of the fan base with his night flight out to L.A. Nothing good can be seen in hind site from the Kiffin year, in my eyes. Some competitive games vs AL, etc... But we also quit in games vs Ole Miss and VT, etc...

But hey, the past is the past. I do agree (and hope) that Dooley is the man to get the ship turned around. I listen to Rivals Radio and look on this website enough to know that we still have way too many impatient fans out there. Already calling for Dooley's head, bench Simms, bench Lincoln, etc... I wish our fans would calm down and let Dooley get his plan under way, then lets talk in 3-4 years. Success can only be measured in hind site.

WytheVol writes:

in response to BamaBeacher:

Too bad you missed out on all those free books in Bama... Surely there was a book somewhere with the word "ADVERSITY" in it so you could learn to spell it.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to naffy:

Your good with Kesling? Really? Listening to him bumble his way through football games is frustrating beyond belief to me.

And you think Danielson is an idiot? Lundquist has become a bit over the top, but Danielson is about the best game analyst there is (up there with Herbstreit).