Florida beats Vols for sixth consecutive time, 31-17

Game recap: UT vs. Florida

Mike Gillislee ran for two touchdowns and No. 10 Florida beat Tennessee 31-17 on Saturday for its sixth consecutive win in the series.

The Gators (3-0, 1-0 Southeastern Conference) grabbed a third straight win in Knoxville for the first time in the 40-game series after failing to pull of the feat in 1990, 1998 and 2004.

For a second straight week, they played sluggishly early in the game and had only 94 yards of offense at halftime.

Tennessee (1-2, 0-1) tied the game at 10 with a 49-yard touchdown pass from Matt Simms to Denarius Moore with 8:59 in the third quarter. Simms completed 19 of 31 for two touchdowns and a pair of turnovers.

Florida appeared beat on the next drive until coach Urban Meyer called for a fake punt on fourth-and-6. Omarius Hines ran 36 yards to keep the drive alive, and John Brantley eventually connected with Frankie Hammond on a 7-yard touchdown pass. Brantley, starting in his first road game, completed 14 of 23 for 167 yards and a touchdown.

Jeremy Brown picked off a pass by Simms on third-and-6 at the Tennessee 40, which set up Gillislee's second touchdown that gave the Gators a 24-10 lead just before the end of the third quarter.

The Vols had found themselves in a similar situation a week earlier against Oregon and unraveled. They seemed on the verge of a meltdown again when Simms appeared to be sacked in the end zone for a safety, but an official review ruled him down on the 1.

Tennessee punted but got the ball back when coach Derek Dooley challenged a run by Jeff Demps, insisting the Florida track star had fumbled. The officials agreed, and the Vols answered with a 35-yard touchdown pass from Simms to Justin Hunter on fourth-and-6 to cut Florida's lead to 24-17 with a 11:24 left.

Florida responded with Trey Burton's 2-yard touchdown run that iced the Vols, who allowed two more big sacks on Simms and turned the ball over with a fumble by Tauren Poole.

Demps, who had only 17 yards rushing at halftime, finished with 73.

Before halftime, Florida looked like the team that struggled against Miami (Ohio) and in the first half against South Florida.

Mike Pouncey mishandled several snaps. One overshot Brantley in the shotgun and resulted in fourth-and-28 after Brantley fell on the ball 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Florida was twice flagged for illegal formation.

Tennessee scored first for the first time against Florida since 2001 when Daniel Lincoln kicked a late first-quarter 49-yard field goal, tying his career high.

But the Vols had their own first-half struggles. After recovering a fumbled punt return by Janoris Jenkins at the Florida 21, the Vols drove 18 yards but missed a chance to score when Jonathan Bostic picked off a pass by Simms thrown into double coverage in the end zone.

Tennessee's Tauren Poole, who entered the game leading the SEC in rushing, was held to 27 yards.

Volborn writes:

Great effort

orangecountyvols writes:

Very proud of this effort. Not quitting and hanging around showed big improvement. Once again, huge big plays were the difference on both sides of the ball.
Pretty much everyone agrees the fake punt was the turning point.
It is obvious to me we just don't have the speed in our k/o and punt return game.

Hunter is a big time receiver of the future. Throw it up and he'll get it.

UAB is now a game to play well and not suffer a big letdown.

Great effort guys. Looks like Alabama will have its way with these guys ( Florida, that is. )

smokeybitesback writes:

our boys put up a tough fight and played the entire game.much better then last week..but we still aren't going to win many football games as long as Simms keeps theowing INT's..if that keep happening Dooley will have to try a different QB..keep at it VOLS

volinvegas writes:

At least they played 4 quarters this week.

OrangePsyched writes:

Let me first say that all spring and fall I have been maintaining that Simms should be the default starter at QB. After 3 games I have changed my opinion. He didn't get the best protection and his stats aren't horrible. That said, he not very cerebral at all. He don't get rid of the ball when he should, as has been said he stares down his recievers and he is not very accurate at all. He is a game changer for the other team. Don't want to be too critical but he don't have the smarts to checkdown, make audibles or think fast on his feet. I say start Bray and go with it. Either way I will support the Vols and Simms if CDD continues to start him. ROCKY TOP!

volpreacher writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

hit suggest removal on this punk. Yes 6th in row and it was a bad UF team, but I don't think UT is a world beater team either. Go cheer somewhere else. We don't need you!!!! Nor want you!!!

silentmajority writes:

in response to volinvegas:

At least they played 4 quarters this week.

Are you sure, volin? I looked hard, but couldn't find the vols at any time in the second half. Are you sure they didn't go home at half-time?

shulessjo writes:

Not great.... not bad.... I wish we had realized that Coach Urban Meyer would pull that 4th down conversion... I was screaming into the TV....Obviously, no one heard me.

Much more intensity by the entire UT team... Simms is a gutty player... BUT not sure he can beat you as an SEC QB......However, I am encouraged, given the the circumstances..

Not sure what to think of Fulmer critiquing the game OR Kiffen on CBS TV for that matter. Seems he left us in this mess?

Halls3 writes:

Here's the best way to put it. Both teams played hard & gave great effort. Both teams have many things to work on still. Yes UT is down & have dealt with coaching changes but I was impressed by UF's defense after what they lost. I mean jeez you take away 2 blown assignments & they would have hammered UT. But again good effort by both & especially the effort UT put in by not quitting. Both showed great improvements throughout the game & I expect both to have strong 2nd halfs of the season.

volpreacher writes:

in response to back2z1:

suggest removal. This guy is on something. ORegon would beat UF by 20 or more. ORegon much faster and more skilled.

rudy123 writes:

The game was turned on (5) different plays.
(1) First Simms interception in the end zone.
(2) Second SImms Interception
(3) Poole fumble
(4) Florida's fake punt. Do we have a special teams?
(5) Facemask penalty against us.

Our good plays were the Hunter T.D.. The take away by Austin Johnson. The long field goal by Lincoln and holding Demps to under 100 yards rushing.

west_tn_volfan writes:

I never like to lose but I saw improvement. We made some key mistakes that young teams are prone to make but we played hard the entire game and we made more big plays on offense. Overall I think it was a step forward.

swampchomper writes:

Ho hum, another Gator win. As bad as our offense is, yours is pathetic. You do have talent on the defensive side.

Halls3 writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Just ignore this guy. He isn't a true Florida fan. He's just a punk who probably roots for Kensucky!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

Yeah, get ready to rack up the losses... I, for one, can't wait.

BillyVol writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

You are no doubt the ugliest troll around. You need to have your seventh birthday at Burger King.

BillyVol writes:

Great effort against a very good SEC team. I liked the effort, and the wins will come.

volpreacher writes:

in response to back2z1:

Alabama will be a blowout game for Alabama vs. Florida. I can't wait.

Fryinpansvols writes:

Turnovers, penalties, and not enough talent to over come the first two that I mentioned. I do applaud the effort for 4 quarters however, it would be nice to beat Florida one of these years. UT is 0-6 against Urban Myer. Its going to be a long season.

SummittsCourt writes:

Vols put up a good fight today, but too many mistakes to overcome with such a young, inexperienced team. 3 turnovers, 9 penalties, 6 sacks given up, missed tackles (especially on the fake punt that changed the game)and they all seemed to come at the worst times. Proud of their effort though. Coach Dooley will get the mess corrected and the Volunteers back on top.

dwa7#337691 writes:

early predict:

UT 32
UA Bammers 17

Halls3 writes:

in response to volpreacher:

I disagree with you preacher. Oregon only beat UT b/c of depth & UF has depth. UF has speed as well. Plus let's consider UT didn't quit this week, had they it probably would have got just as ugly.

TheOpinion writes:

Pretty good game overall. We didn't quit and the passing game seemed to have opened up. Florida came in and had the game plan to shut down the running game and they did. They have more talent but I'll tell you what. Throw the ball to Hunter that boy is gonna be something special. I think even in a loss we took a step in the right direction.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to rudy123:

The game was turned on (5) different plays.
(1) First Simms interception in the end zone.
(2) Second SImms Interception
(3) Poole fumble
(4) Florida's fake punt. Do we have a special teams?
(5) Facemask penalty against us.

Add Denarius Moore's touchdown too. This time he didn't drop an easy TD pass. Coach Dooley will get this team back on top.

spacehistorian writes:

Another painful loss but the team played better than last week against Oregon. They made this a game into the 4th Quarter but this is not a talented enough team to win against a good opponent after making so many mistakes with turnovers, missed tackles & a breakdown with the special teams coverage. The effort was there & this team will get better every week. I'd love to play Florida again at the end of the season like we did in 2001. I agree the team needs to be wary of a letdown next week against UAB but they should come out and win big. Georgia looks vulnerable, SoCar will be tough but you never know so I am not ready to write this season off quite yet. Dooley & his staff will continue to coach up these kids & as they gain experience they will get better. So let's not get overly dramatic with the criticism of this team as we have to accept the reality of our position after so much change in recent years. Keep on fighting kids & GBO!

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

You are a joke, your team is a joke, your program is a joke. Don't become like the SC fans...win one game and think you have arrived. BTW, whats the record between UT and Vandy?

west_tn_volfan writes:

in response to silentmajority:

You must be kidding! Tennessee had 3 points in the first half and 14 in the second and they never quit playing hard. If you have no better comments than that please be the silent part of your name.

volpreacher writes:

in response to Halls3:

Well I stand by what I said. I've watched UF play most of their games just to see what they had. They will lose several games this year. They are not near as fast as Oregon. Demps has exceptional speed but after that, ehhh no one. We bottled him up pretty much. Those guys on Oregon we didn't.

lomas98 writes:

Does the TN defense have any blitz packages in their scheme. Some pressure on their QB to get in some long downs would help. I am tired of watching the FL game and having them start what seems like every drive at the 40 yard line an TN always starts at the 20. Another year another horrible special teams. I wish we had just a little bit of FL special teams success. They are awesome at it.

volpreacher writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

I watched this one and come to the conclusion there is two UT wins for sure.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

F.U. fans want be laughing when Warden Meyer leaves for the NFL right before the NCAA lower's the boom. It's coming. USC thought they were above the law and the prison doors closed on their noses. Let see, 2 national championships vacated - it will happen.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Great effort..They didn't quit, which is was definitely a positive sign..Give this coaching staff 3 years and the Vols will be a force to be reckon with.

Go ahead trolls and gloat all you want for now..You should try and be good sports in winning, but I don't think that is gonna happen..A couple of you said that there would be a mass exodus at halftime, and that didn't happen..Good thing I didn't write down 63-6 because I would have had to erase it.

Anyway, to "triumph,"mysterio","99gator" and other Gator non-trolls who can be good sports in winning, congratulations and good game.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to back2z1:

Gators are really awesome at committing crimes. I guess they like the idea of droping the soap in jail.... Gotta give me credit for that one.

eduardo writes:

3rd and long same ole same ole...get back in the game and stupid kicker kicks the ball out of bounds then runs back to the bench laughing... really???

JBruce writes:

Pretty sure Urban Meyer owns property rights in Neyland Stadium, at this point. Matt Simms is easily the worst qb in the SEC. He stares down receivers like he is playing in the WAC. Aparently, Tyler Bray must be aweful to be sitting the bench. It's going to be a long year!

mercyseat writes:

MATT SIMS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halls3 writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Well we agree to disagree b/c Florida has as much speed as anybody, the only thing I noticed is their youth like UT's is holding them back quite a bit. Plus, UT quit against Oregon & didn't against UF. Oregon didn't look faster in the 1st half than UT or UF b/c UT hadn't quit. Don't let your hate for Florida blind you from the fact they have a very talented team. I mean if they're terrible then UT just got beat by 2 TDs by a team that's awful. Think about what you are saying. Either Florida is good or UT just sucks. I say Florida is youthful & good & with time UT will be good when their youth gains experience. I for one see both teams being a lot better as the season goes on b/c both are young & inexperienced.

kd45music writes:

in response to BillyVol:

They'll come...just not this year. Six-6 is the best we can hope for. And, given the situation, that will be a success. Two years from now, it will be a different matter. If this coaching staff can get some true playmakers, things will be much improved in the not too distant future. My guess is that Dooley will utilize what he picked up from Saban and eventually will beat him at his own game.

wigmeister writes:

Played much better. If we didn't have that interception in the end zone, it might have been a different game. Think we need a little work on the special teams?

volinvegas writes:

in response to silentmajority:

You actually watched the game??? I thought you just critiqued coaching contracts.

kd45music writes:

in response to mercyseat:

MATT SIMS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, the kid's not great. We all knew that going into the season. That's still no reason to degrade him. He's doing the best he can, and until you can personally step out on the field and do better,shut your big mouth.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to back2z1:

Right at 0-3

NorthwestVol writes:

in response to mercyseat:

MATT SIMS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably said the same about Crompton about this time last year didn't you?

VolHooch14 writes:

Witch Doctor!!!
Come hither! :)

GO VOLS!

murrayvol writes:

in response to back2z1:

Florida is not better than Oregon.

VOLFROMNC writes:

We have got to get a decent QB. I hope Bray develops over the next year cause Simms is not the answer. Good effort by the D. Same ole, same ole...the D keeps us somewhat in the game and the O self destructs.

west_tn_volfan writes:

in response to kd45music:

I would agree although we may upset someone. Rational fans knew this would be a tough year but as long as we keep improving and the young guys get experience,the future will be bright.

rudy123 writes:

I will end up with an ulcer before this season and next season is over. I get so nervous when Simms throws the ball. I anticipate every throw to be an interception and my heartrate increases.

Volborn writes:

in response to shulessjo:

Fulmer did not leave us all of this. Remember Kiffy ran off several linemen and told a highly rated dual threat QB to go elsewhere, then several more left with Kiffin's departure including another O-lineman that Fulmer signed(Douglas). Although Fulmer lost ground in recruiting, his downfall was Dave Clawson. If Cutcliffe stays, Fulmer/Chavis and Cut are still at UT. Not saying I prefer that, just making the point that this team isn't really close to what Fulmer left.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Great effort...on track for 5-6 wins as predicted. I would like to see Bray in. The games to be won could be won by either qb. Just thinking about the future.