Dooley: 'We could never win any one-on-ones'

Vols need more pressure from defensive line

Dooley: Summary of UT vs. Florida

Derek Dooley didn’t even have to be asked about it.

Tennessee’s first-year coach didn’t sugarcoat it, either.

“Our pass rush was terrible up front,” Dooley said at his weekly news conference Monday afternoon.

The Vols consistently struggled to put any pressure on Florida quarterback John Brantley in last week’s 31-17 loss, which allowed the Gators to convert 8-of-14 third downs, most of those in obvious passing situations.

“Ultimately, what killed us on defense (was) our inability to win one-on-one at every level, and that’s what got us on third down,” Dooley said.

“We could never win any one-on-ones. We weren’t coming at ‘em aggressively, and then we weren’t aggressive in coverage.”

“Some one-on-ones, we just have to win those,” linebacker LaMarcus Thompson said. “We definitely have to work on our pass rush. We are making an emphasis on that (this week).”

Dooley said the Vols mixed up their blitz packages and schemes, but Florida’s offensive line blocked whatever UT threw at it.

“We probably need to do more (and) different stuff and keep changing it up,” Dooley said, “but they blocked us when we rushed four and they blocked us when we pressured. We just had a hard time getting back there, and then we couldn’t hold up in coverage.”

“We didn’t execute our stunts as well as we could have and should have,” defensive end Gerald Williams said. “We kind of let our team down this week. We have to get back there and be more disruptive and trust our techniques.”

Despite Ben Martin’s season-ending injury in preseason camp, defensive end was an area of perceived strength and depth entering the season. While Williams has two of UT’s three sacks this season, Dooley is looking for more from Chris Walker.

“We brought in Malik (Jackson), really more to bulk up the d-line, but we need to get Chris going a little bit in pass rush,” Dooley said.

“I guess we just keep working. There’s got to be times in a game where they’ve got to pin their ears back and come, go at the quarterback.

“It looks like sometimes we’re just searching a little bit, is it play action, is it run, is the back peeling — you’ve just got to go and disrupt.”

Jonesing: Receiver Gerald Jones won’t play against UAB, but the cast protecting the broken bone in his hand suffered against UT Martin has come off in favor of a splint, though he had nothing on his hand at Monday’s practice.

“He’s got to have a week of, I don’t know, maybe we’ll have some penmanship test or something,” Dooley joked.

He wasn’t done.

“I said, ‘Well let’s go throw him some balls if he’s coming out of his cast.’ I played with a splint, course I was terrible. I actually played with a cast as a wideout but I had to because I knew if I ever said I couldn’t play, that might have been the end cause they’d put the other guy in and they’d realize he was better.

“Gerald knows when he comes back, he’s back in the lineup.”

Kicking Himself: Dooley regretted not using freshman kicker Michael Palardy, who missed practice last week with a groin injury, especially when Chad Cunningham’s kickoff out of bounds gave Florida field position for its clinching drive.

“He actually was about ready to kick, but he didn’t practice all week and I was nervous about him,” Dooley said.

“I probably should have kicked him. (It) hurt us there in the end.”

Palardy will handle kickoff duties against UAB.

Status Update: Receiver Denarius Moore and tailback Tauren Poole did not participate in Monday’s practice.

Dooley said both were “banged up” and “day-to-day.”

Think Fast: Dooley spoke at some length Monday about his team’s struggles to play fast.

“Your intellectual capacity is an important part of playing football, and when I say intellectual, I don’t mean your ability to read Shakespeare,” he said.

“I just mean your ability to retain schematically what your job is, and then to be able to do the play on principle, fast, when things change. That takes a quick mind.

“We need more of that, cause I think we’re a little slow-minded at times.”

Patrick Brown is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Alumni_06 writes:

Love coach Dooley's interviews, he's hilarious and will call out players.

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

Keep after it Vols. Work harder. Work on technique. Push 'em Coach, we're getting there. I feel good about the future of UT football because I see the foundation being laid by well prepared coaches. Just a word on the out of bounds kickoff. I remember when the Carolina Panthers were playing New England in the Super Bowl. The Panthers had just scored late in the game to tie it up. On the ensuing kickoff, Kasey kicked it out of bounds, giving NE great field position. They drove down and kicked the game winning field goal. Amazing how every part of the game is so critical. I love the Vols. I'll yell for 'em every week. I believe in 'em. I believe in Coach Dooley and his staff. Great things lie ahead. GO VOLS!

movol77 writes:

Agreed. Dooley's interview was refreshing. He tells it like it is. You can't help but like this coach.

Vol86 writes:

On 3rd and long ya just gotta be hungry. Fl's OL is good though.

VolInIndy writes:

in response to Alumni_06:

Love coach Dooley's interviews, he's hilarious and will call out players.

Agreed. I look forward to having him as coach for many years to come. He WILL win and win big but it will take a couple of years.

MidTennVol writes:

This guy is such a breath of fresh air. Straight talk, straight-shooting, tell it like it is. Soooo unlike what we've become accustomed to. I think the program is in good hands.

Ironcity writes:

Glad we may have seen the last of Cunningham on kick offs. I guess its not his fault but he is worse this year then he was last year. I noticed at the game on Saturday that Walker really was getting blown up on obvious pass plays. I have to wonder if he isn't still hurting from his off season surgeries. Go Vols!

mdvol writes:

I'm not a coach but I'll play one now.... Teague is the player we need need to turn loose on the blitz EB style. He had a nice TFL against the Gators and is a solid tackler.

We get a little winning momentum this week against UAB and head to Baton Rouge ready to blitz the hell out of Jordan Jefferson.

We are going to surprise some damn people.
Vols finish 5-3 in the SEC. Go bowling 8-4 overall.

Vol86 writes:

It might be just me but the
media chatter and other talk is bothering.
We lost to two top ten teams-we are not a top ten team. Beat mtu so we are not in the last 30 or 40. This is all we really know.

orangeuavol4ever writes:

I believe in Coach Dooley and I believe in these kids. They'll get there. They just need time. I know it will be worth the wait!

volbald writes:

"Slow-minded" indeed. But is also applies to the coaches. Remeber that our last QB was terrible as a drop back passer but blossomed when Chany (and Kiffin) started having him roll-out to pass. Our last touchdown by Simms came on a forced roll out. Since Chany had experience with what helped Crompton and the team, why haven't the coaches schemed for more roll out passes so far this year? How many more losses do we have to suffer before they make the adjustment?

jobrando#216494 writes:

Let's hope we see a healthy Palardy. That will solve a big part of special team issues.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to volbald:

It's going to be a tough October unless the coaches can find Simm's strength if any. Right now it looks bad.

MidTennVol writes:

in response to SugarBear:

I think you may have a point there. Seems like we just don't yet have the horses.

Of course, some folks would say that there's only one sure-fire quality that will turn a four-star kid into a five-star player: heart.

SEC1 writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
Vols finish 5-3 in the SEC. Go bowling 8-4 overall.

Stop fooling yourself! First,it was "we will beat Oregon or Florida. Now it's lsu. Not going to happen! You will be lucky to beat UGA. that will be tough figuring the Dooley name will be a factor with Vince's son being the head coach of the rival Vols, the crowd will be crazy. It's a very good possibilty the Vols will be 0-4 in Oct. Young team with a great future, great stadium was there for the first time the place is awesome. I was in SEC S row 9, tn has some great fans. Justin hunter stands out. He's a big, young freshmen. With 15 - 20 extra lbs he will be scary.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to SugarBear:

I think he will only get 2 without marked improvement in each of the next two years.

PureOrange writes:

Plain talk is great. Hard to miss what he is saying, and what he means. Players probably cringe awaiting their name to be called out, but it should make them work harder to keep it from happening. Love this coaching staff.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
Vols finish 5-3 in the SEC. Go bowling 8-4 overall.

Hopefully our fans won't be trolling and spouting off on the LSU board like they did on the Oregon board before the Ducks game.

The UT trolling there was worse than what we have here with some of our resident trolls.

SEAL_9821 writes:

I watched the DLine all day Saturday and I have to be honest...we just don't have any beef and muscle on our line right now. Looking at the size of our boys and Florida's line was like looking at High school and D1 College boys. They out weighed us by 30lbs per guy on the line. I don't care how good you are or what schemes you throw. Power and size and strength will eventually wear you down in the end and there is nothing we could do about it.

Vol86 writes:

in response to SugarBear:

Sure. Show me CDD 5 star recruits.

Vol86 writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

You bet I do, and all his buddies.

EnglewoodVol writes:

Does anybody know the name of the song that came on with the video they showed kind of early in the game? It was a guitar playing and they were saying "you be standing all alone"...or something like that. Thanks for any help guys and gals.

mercuryvol writes:

Question:Our 2s play the oppositions' 2s and what is the season's record? Answer:Probably 4-8.Reason:Depth and quality.Summary:We're seeing the end result of YEARS of neglect of this institution's FB program and it will not be fixed overnight.It'll take YEARS of highly skilled recruiting and coaching.This is all I know at this time and I won't speculate further but I will support this team and coach and UT.Rather lose in orange than win in any other schools'color.

Loud_Proud writes:

in response to volbald:

Are you kidding me man? We are 1-2, three games into the season, and you are asking how many more losses we will have to suffer? people like you never cease to amaze me. Nevermind the fact that our depth and experience is not so great, we want a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP NOW. Sounds like a decent candidate for a band wagon alabama fan..?

jumboliyah writes:

"SLow minded" LOL...yeeeeaaaah....I'd say that is about right! We have never had a group of quick studies...makes you wonder how they can pass college courses if they can't remember the schematics of a football play for 3 seconds...Mmmmmm...

gatorhator4eva writes:

in response to orangeuavol4ever:

i agree, i flew from lakeland, fl to watch my beloved vols and they played a heck of game considering the depth issues on saturday. brought my 39 year old cousin to his first tennessee-florida game(hes a gator fan) and he hasnt stop talking about knoxville and neyland stadium, told his wife hes comming to game every year. always a fun game to watch, except for ubnoxious florida fan behind us. if we did not make interceptions and those couple of mistakes, we would have won. i see improvement in this team every week. always good to see. florida did what it needed to do, shut down the run. the team with most running yards almost always wins in this contest. showed on saturday.

CRFVols writes:

in response to movol77:

I agree. I love brutal honesty. He doesn't sugar-coat much.

However, it's his job as HC to fix the problems...so there's going to come a point where calling players out and whatnot will get old if stuff isn't fixed. Not all the time, but there will be times. It's up to the players to perform...but they still need good coaching and I think Dooley is probably a great coach.

jarvol writes:

At least he doesn't always say he has got to check the film, work like heck, and get back to basics.

WinkeyVol writes:

I'm glad Dooley is on our side. He's no magician, but I believe he will return our beloved Volunteers to the top of the SEC. It just might take a little while.

CroKev writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
Vols finish 5-3 in the SEC. Go bowling 8-4 overall.

What happened to "we'll beat either Fl or Bama this year"? Not to worry MdVol, if we were going to beat either one, it would have had to have been the Gators. Bama looks really tough. Again, Bama will have played 8 straight games without a break before playing us while we will have had a bye the weekend before (thus, 2 weeks to get ready for the Tide) and we have them at home this year. That said, they just have "too much junk in their trunk."

It seems to me that we'll be either 2-6 or 3-5 heading into the last 4 games (I think we'll be very fortunate to beat UGA in Athens) and then we win the final 4 so that we finish either 6-6 or 7-5. Trying to pick up an add'l win on the road at either LSU or S. Car. will not be an easy task this year unless Simms pulls a "2nd half of the season Jonathan Crompton" on us.

richvol writes:

I'm not calling out Chris Walker but all we heard in the Spring,and last year from Kiffin,was that he was unblockable. These blitz packages have to get better immediately or every QB we face will look like an all-american. At least Dooley knows it.

richvol writes:

Another thing...Dooley is recruiting smarter players. The ones that can absorb coaching and execute it. Two more recruiting classes and you will see vast improvement. I think Worley will help as well but I still want a QB that can run. There's just an enormous advantage to it.

volfan2002 writes:

We play these games one at a time and try to get better every game. That I am certain is Dooley's criteria with this team. Hopefully we beat UAB and then a tough SEC stretch in which hopefully we will be a better football team than we were against Florida and Oregon.

VOLinDAWGland writes:

Dooley at his age is so much better than Phil "work like heck, got to watch the film" Fulmer and Lane mumble, stare at the floor, Kiffin.

If he can get this team turned around and last several years, he'll be fun to listen to.

volaholic45 writes:

It's amazing how thin we've been at QB since Peyton. I think I heard Verne Lundquist accidentally call Simms "Ainge" against Florida. Could have said Crompton, whatever.

gvegasvol writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

Strike FL from the list - unless you are talking about next year.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Well this may be a true statement. It's a rough October schedule.

jobrando#216494 writes:

I'm tired of crying about depth. Cant wait until the 2011 class is recruited. It has to be a large one. By 2012 the depth issue will no longer be a crutch.

Neyland writes:

in response to SEC1:

Some of what you said I agree with, I believe we can play with LSU and keep it close. Winning is another story. I believe we can beat Georgia also. We do have to improve alot in every facet of the game, I believe we can get to 6 and 6 and possibly go bowling. We are going to have tp play fast, hard, aggressive, and smart to get there tho.

iowavol writes:

in response to SEAL_9821:

We outweighed Oregon by 30 lbs and they did a good job against us in the 2nd half. It's more about working together as a unit, utilizing technique, understanding your role and executing it well. All of which come with experience which we don't have.

516milesfromUT writes:

You know, it's like this. USC is under penalty and will be out a bunch of scholarships.I know I shouldn't bring up his name but Kitten said that the effects of those sanctions won't be felt for two or three years. We are at that point right now. 70% of the guys we recruited 4 years ago are no longer here.The Recruiting class after that? We are coming off those years as we speak. Playing 18 people that are freshman, or never played this year speaks trouble this year, but the expierence they are getting really helps our future. Dooley is smart enough to know we NEED 28 guys on board this year, no matter what thier stars are.We need two years of full signed classes to back up this future team.The new guys coming in will have the advantage of being coached by the same darn coach. They will play under Dooleys system, (which i like)From the start. That also will be a huge plus. If we finish 6-6 even , and are lucky enough to get a bowl game that is a huge plus.This means more time for the players here to learn the system.
Boise State for example, They can beat anyone in this country. Thats pretty good for a "Lesser" Conference, and a bucch of "Undersized" guys "Without a history or great recruiting classes". The success they have is based soley on
1. Getting athletes that are fast
2. Getting guys who fit that system
3. Getting smart players that can lean quickly.

A team made of 5* guys only does NOT mean wins
It is having a team filled with guys that know the system, and have what it takes on the inside to get it done.
-T-

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

Well the upset didn't happen with Florida, and now you got all your eggs in one basket saying we will upset Bama. We don't have Berry this year, so I think it will be a stretch saying we will upset them.

ClarksvilleVols42 writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED:

I wouldnt know..I dont troll other sites..GO VOLS!!!

ClarksvilleVols42 writes:

in response to volaholic45:

He did call him Ainge..however I dont think weve been that thin since Peyton..Casey was pretty good back there..and I know its a stretch but if Schaffer hadnt screwed up we might have had something there too.

ClarksvilleVols42 writes:

in response to 516milesfromUT:

1. Getting athletes that are fast
2. Getting guys who fit that system
3. Getting smart players that can lean quickly.

A team made of 5* guys only does NOT mean wins
-T-

I agree..A team full of 5* guys spells "Off the field trouble"..Just ask Urbie

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Anxious to see what Palardy can do.

26 yd punts and KO's out of bounds will get your azz handed to you.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Anxious to see what Palardy can do.

26 yd punts and KO's out of bounds will get your azz handed to you.

So will forgetting how to tackle on a fake punt.

VolsToTheWall writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

eh, more than likely

1974Vol writes:

DL is an issue, OL is an issue due to injuries but what is really killing us is special teams. Florida essentially won the game due to special teams play; fake punt, our KO OB mentioned in article, they didn't allow us outside the 20 on any kickoffs, they're starting at the 35-40, very average punt coverage for us, they didn't allow a yard in punt returns. It adds up to them having 25-30 fewer yards to cover in order to score on every possession. How many kick returns for TD have we allowed in recent years? How many have we returned? Until we get special teams fixed we will not win any close games.

imw8n4u writes:

in response to EnglewoodVol:

10,000 slaves - many of those "This is Tennessee" videos are on youtube.