UAB quarterbacks present two challenges

Tennessee’s defense has seen a pocket passer and a dual-threat quarterback in each of the past two games.

They’ll see both in the same game Saturday.

“The good thing for us is that we’ve played Oregon, a quarterback-run team, and Florida, who wants to be a shotgun-pass team,” defensive backs coach Terry Joseph said.

“(UAB) is kind of a mixture of both.”

Blazers coach Neil Calloway announced Tuesday that redshirt junior Bryan Ellis will start when UAB visits Neyland Stadium Saturday (TV: WVLT, 12:21 p.m.).

Redshirt sophomore David Isabelle, who started UAB’s first three games, also will play, bringing his running ability to complement Ellis’ passing abilities.

The Vols (1-2) have to be ready for the contrasting styles.

“You have kind of your base game plan, and then when each guy is in you have stuff you like probably a little bit better,” UT defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox said.

“You don’t really have time to have two totally different game plans, but I think you have certain things you like against each guy.”

Ellis completed 23-of-37 passes for 360 yards and three touchdowns in rallying the Blazers (1-2) from a 23-0 deficit and a 13-point margin in the fourth quarter to a 34-33 last-second win over Troy.

Isabelle ran for a Conference USA quarterback-rushing record 214 yards and accounted for four touchdowns in UAB’s season-opening loss to Florida Atlantic.

“One’s a very athletic guy, does a great job in the quarterback runs,” linebackers coach Lance Thompson said.

“Not many people do the quarterback runs to the extent that they do. We’ve got to prepare for everything they’ve shown either way.”

Wilcox, who said there isn’t too much changing personnel for the two quarterbacks, compared UAB’s spread to what Florida runs.

“More Florida than Oregon,” he said. “The tight end is a real important guy for them. I think there’s a lot of similarities between their offense and Florida’s.”

Heavy Emphasis: UT coach Derek Dooley said the Vols focused on third downs and red zone at Wednesday’s practice.

“Third down and red area, those are two things that are really hurting us,” Dooley said. “Third-and-seven and above, I mean we’ve been atrocious.”

UT ranks 118th in the country in converting third downs (9-for-43), ahead of only Florida International and San Jose State.

The Vols have scored just three touchdowns on eight red-zone trips and have allowed all seven of the opponents’ trips there to end in points.

“In the red area, we got to hold them to field goals and we hadn’t done that on defense, and we got to punch it in on offense, so that’s what the real emphasis was today.”

Seeing Red: Amidst the sea of orange and white practice jerseys Wednesday were four red non-contact jerseys.

Tailback Tauren Poole (thigh) and Denarius Moore (ankle) wore theirs for the second consecutive day. Receiver Zach Rogers (shoulder), who wore one during most of last week’s practices, also wore red.

Receiver Gerald Jones was back in pads and a red jersey with the splint on the broken bone in his hand. He won’t play against UAB.

“We’ll know more next week on him,” Dooley said. “He can run around, he just can’t do anything with his hand.”

Status Update: Linebacker Herman Lathers (leg) is also an injury concern for Saturday.

Patrick Brown is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vol88 writes:

QB #1... 2nd and 12
QB #2... 3rd and 15

Pin your ears back Big Orange. Let's get this one over with quick.

voloffaith writes:

in response to vol88:

QB #1... 2nd and 12
QB #2... 3rd and 15

Pin your ears back Big Orange. Let's get this one over with quick.

In the words of the great Lee Corso," not so fast my young friend." This is now and we are not the steamroller of old. We will have to play smart ,minimal error ball to win. I know it's UAB,but we are a down ,but not out UT.I expect to win and big,but they still got to play them.

mdvol writes:

Lets just come out of this game healthy. I'm expecting to see the passing game make big strides on Saturday and carry the mo' into October. Saw a few glimpses against the Gators. Simms threw for 259 against Florida. Now just cut out the INT's.

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.
Guess that means you.....Tide.

ncvol17 writes:

DD is a straight shooter..nice change

rockytopatl writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.
Guess that means you.....Tide.

Dude, I have been reading this for weeks. I love your optimism, but our upset -- if we get one -- won't happen against Alabama.

Let's try to beat UAB. We're playing freshmen, my friend. It's so bad that we aren't even red shirting prospects -- we're starting them.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to shen24:

Well, well,

MDVol speaks to the Vols here and lo and behold, in crawls another troll.

When we want your input...........you'll know it.

In the meantime, back to wherever you crawled from..... T R O L L

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

If we are honest with ourselves, most of us were hoping for a 2-1 record but knew deep inside it would probably be 1-2. Our season is still going as planned and hopefully we will win some games in the next 3-4 weeks.

I can only imagine the chaos that would reign if by some chance UAB wins this game. Talk about some major devastation!!!

usnavyvol writes:

in response to shen24:

What Shen-head I can't hear.. speak up, the wind thru ur toof is kinda noisy...not ur everyday troll, just ur typical bandwagon troll.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to mdvol:

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset either Florida or Alabama.
Guess that means you.....Tide.

Good luck with that.

UTbassdrummer writes:

I'm glad that our coaches and players are taking UAB (and every team we play) seriously. Better teams have been beaten by worse. That being said, I look for our guys to deal out some frustration-driven punishment. I will be there to do the same.

Regarding Bama.. troll tide. Is it likely that we will knock them off? h.ell no. Was it likely that we'd knock theme off last year? Also, no. But let's not forget the mere inches we were from doing it anyways. Better teams have been beaten by worse. These tidal trolls seem to have written us off, and I hope that's the case.

WhitePineVol77 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Good luck with that.

Arkansas may take care of Bama this weekend for us. Also, Fl has to get past KY. One of these 2 could fall hard this weekend. We know the Vols are young...there are things to love and things to hate about this team

SummittsCourt writes:

If I've learned anything from the last two games is that this team has shown improvement and I expect the same this week. I can't see the Vols taking UAB lightly at all. They will come out focused and win easily 38-13.

voloffaith writes:

bassdrummer you have the hit for the day,"troll tide."
on topic, Wilcox said prepare basically same for both qb's with other lil packages for when one or the other is in the game. Adustments based on the qb in at that time.

TLepage writes:

i live in VA and the game isn't going to be on TV here, does anyone know if its going to be on espn gameplan?

TNLawVol writes:

in response to TLepage:

I believe it will be on gameplan and also ESPN3.com. Go Vols!

gatorhator4eva writes:

in response to voloffaith:

totally agree, when you are an sec team in any game, due to the competitiveness, u cant take anything for granted. that's when u get embarrassed. this team shows improvement every week. u have to think like the other team. they would love to get an upset in a 100,000 seat plus stadium.

Neyland writes:

I remember several years back a differently coached UAB team went into Baton Rouge for LSU's Homecoming(A Nick Saban coached team) and the Bayou Bengals took them lightly and got embaressed on their own field for Homecoming. If we dont focus and play sound football we will have the same happen to us. We can win this game and blow them out if we block like I know we can and get the run game amped up then go to the play action. Simms cant stare down his recievers either. Stay focused and GO VOLS!!!!!

brauhuff#295403 (Inactive) writes:

I live in Pennsylvania now but am hoping the VOLS can at least get to 6-6 this year. This is a must win game as is Ole Miss, Vandy, KY,and Memphis because I do not see anymore wins out there unless it is Georgia which is at there place.

givehim6 writes:

in response to TLepage:

I live in Kingsport and we do not get WTLV, I'm also on Charter any suggestions?

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to TLepage:

TL,

Where in Virginia? I am from Virginia too but cannot force myself to go with Tech or UVA. It might be a long drive to Knoxville ( since '67 ) but sure has been worth it !

How about ESPN 360? Would they carry it?

HtownVol writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

TL,

How about ESPN 360? Would they carry it?

YES, the UT-UAB game is on ESPN3.COM and ESPN GamePlan.

VOLliven2it writes:

I say don't worry about which qb is in there. Just play sound technique and hard nosed defense. We can beat these guys but they will not give it to us. So we take it to them. I plan to be there Sat. and plan to be LOUD. GO VOLS!

RussellP (Inactive) writes:

Looking for wins vs UAB, Ole Miss, Vandy, Ky, Memphis and Georgia, for a 7 win season. I think Vandy will be the wildcard against us, and Georgia will take some effort but can be done. Ole Miss is free-falling, and what can I say about Ky and Memphis?

As for the Vols, let's not forget that we have a promising coach and a promising team, and if everyone will be patient we are looking at an SEC championship in two years for sure.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Let's start with beating Birmingham, first.

Hounddog writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Good luck with that.

I heard there were t-shirts worn by Oregon fans that said, "we hate Kiffin, too"

My wife and I will attend the LSU game in two weeks. Hounddog is taking orders for "we hate Saban, too" T-shirts.

S-M-L-XL $12.00. Proceeds go to the Alabama Dental Association.
Let's play football. Hounddog

pvtoe writes:

in response to givehim6:

Its on Channel 5 - Bristol

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to HtownVol:

YES, the UT-UAB game is on ESPN3.COM and ESPN GamePlan.

H Town,

Thanks for the info !

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

UT 35
UAB 14

This was my original prediction and I will stick to it!!!

GBO!!

volfan1971 writes:

Believe it is also on cbssports.com

huntined#565710 writes:

off subject but I see Giles is leaving S.C. He would be in the same position if he had come here.
Maybe KIFF saw something he didn't like about him as he told him to move on.

thereturnoftriumph writes:

remember ol' Triumph's perdiction. no one goes undefeated in the SEC this year.
keep an eye on Arky vs Bama.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Rocky, I appreciate the realism your post brings to our expectations. It's way too early to write off this season, but let's face some facts. Our running game has been throttled since the second half of the Oregon game, leaving us pretty much one dimensional, and now our receiving corps will be relying heavily on some true freshmen. If our offense fails to sustain some long drives this Sat., the defense might just wilt in the second half of that Tn. afternoon. I hope I'm wrong, but this game could be a nailbiter with the outcome being decided toward the end of the game. And then there is the October gauntlet. If we are beaten up now, we may have to suit up the bandmembers by Nov. IMHO, I can foresee this year's Vols completing the season without a single SEC victory, especially if the NCAA drops the hammer in Nov. Injuries, inexperience, demoralization from hard fought losses--playing with heart can only carry a team so far, especially in the SEC. As I said, I hope I'm wrong, but regardless, as any member of the military will attest, you don't abandon your brethren when you start taking on fire--you hunker down for the long haul.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

in response to BAMAVOL1:

Hey BV1, like I said, hope I'm wrong and you're right. But I never thought Wyoming could pull out a W even with all the turmoil Tn was facing at the time. That's why they play the game on the field and not chat boards. As a side note, looks like the game is going to be televised on the SEC network which for anyone in the Cinci. area will be channel 64. By the way BV1, I really enjoy coming down to your neck of the woods; I usually have a booth at the Buckmasters in Montgomery, and I love talking football with all the fine folks down there. Take care now.

doolicious writes:

Be ready to make some noise Vol fans!! GBO!!

MrsFish writes:

in response to TLepage:

Yes it is on ESPN gameplan. I just called and ordered it for the day.