Reveiz maintaining positive outlook

Health 'a tribute to the training staff'

Tennessee linebacker Nick Reveiz calls for fans to make noise as they paly UT Martin at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Full event details »

One year later, everything feels just fine for Nick Reveiz.

It's one year older that seems to be the only thing the Tennessee senior really seems worried about.

Approaching the anniversary of a day Reveiz refuses to forget, one that ended a breakout junior season, he's not showing any signs of lingering issues with a surgically repaired knee and is perhaps playing even better than he was at this point last season.

But heading into Saturday's nonconference meeting with UAB (TV: WVLT, 12:21 p.m.), Reveiz clearly notices one significant physical change that has little to do with going under the knife.

"I'm not 18 years old anymore, and I can tell," Reveiz said. "You all make fun of me because I'm 22 and I say I feel old, so who knows how I'll feel when I'm 32. But when I was 18 and a freshman I could come out here and run and not have to cold-tub or put ice on me.

"It's a long process of warming up, a long process of cooling down, but during the games I feel great.

"That's a tribute to the training staff, how good of a job they've done. It's a tribute to (strength coach) Bennie (Wylie) training my muscles and being able to run, so I'm feeling good. I mean, it's one of those maintenance things."

That might lead to more work during the week for the middle linebacker, but it's been less on the weekends that has been the biggest help in keeping Reveiz healthy so far.

Gone are the days when he'd take every defensive snap for UT (1-2, 0-1 SEC), though the desire to do so hasn't faded one bit.

The Vols have no problem whatsoever sending Austin Johnson out to spell Reveiz and give him a break, though, and with the Blazers (1-2, 0-1 C-USA) coming to visit, at this point they haven't missed a beat with either making the calls at the center of the unit.

"Definitely, and last year it was a different case," Reveiz said. "The first four games, I never came out. It's good to get (Johnson) in there, and he's a player. He's made so many plays, how can you not put him in the game? It's good for him to be in there, and he made a huge play again (against Florida).

"We need him in there, we need him to play, and that helps me out, too. We feel like we've got a good thing going right now with the linebackers in the rotation."

If anything, the Vols might have to try to get Johnson more involved as the season goes on - even with Reveiz at full strength and coming off a career-high 14 tackles against the Gators.

Through three games the combination in the middle has produced 35 tackles -three for a loss - both guys have recovered a fumble and Johnson also has an interception to his credit. Defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox has a 4-4 alignment and short-yardage packages in the playbook to get both on the field at the same time, but for now Johnson's main opportunities will come when UT drags off Reveiz off the field.

"I think that's huge, just because it's 70 plays or 75 plays against a big, physical team, and that can sometimes wear a guy down," Wilcox said. "While we'd like to have Nick out there every play we can, we also know it's in our best interest to try to spell him a little bit during the game so he's fresh.

"He's one of those guys that, if he could, he'd be out here all night. They're a joy to coach, I mean, he's awesome. There are other guys like that as well, but he's a guy that if you let him, he'll work himself to death."

Reveiz isn't letting that workload get any lighter during the days leading up to a game. But one year later, there's no denying the value of some time off.

orangecountyvols writes:

Keep up that great attitude Nick and the rest of the guys will feed off it.

Let's get back on track this weekend.

everydayisorange writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Keep up that great attitude Nick and the rest of the guys will feed off it.

Let's get back on track this weekend.

Amen to that! And GBO!!!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

I do not think Reveiz makes the pro's. Jonnson might.

dwa7#337691 writes:

early predict:

UT 34
Bammers 10

GOBIGO72 writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

I do not think Reveiz makes the pro's. Jonnson might.

Reveiz will be successful in whatever his future holds - there are a lot of great Vols who "did not make the pro's." No one ever thought he'd play at Neyland either, don't underestimate him. Besides, Nick is already a professional in everything he does, so you're wrong (again) - move on.

volsfannsc writes:

Seems strange that there are no defensive packages that have them in at the same time. Each appear to be very productive and I am surprised this combo isn't drawn up for 3rd downs.

TKO writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

I do not think Reveiz makes the pro's. Jonnson might.

Dont think you matter> how many years did you play inthe NFL? exactly

voloffaith writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

I do not think Reveiz makes the pro's. Jonnson might.

Has nothing to do with the article. Is the sun going to shine 2maro? Sorry....just can't figure out why that comment was so pressing that ewe had to type it. Next article on potential VOLS to the pro's jump in and pound those lil keys to your hearts content.

On topic, Brother Reveiz I'm glad you wear Orange and White!!! Beat the buttons off the blazers!!

doolicious writes:

Let's get it together. We're going win some games this year. GBO!!

Bellem13 writes:

Great to be a TN VOL!!!

Will be at OUR stadium and supporting OUR team and OUR University. Always will.

IBleedOrange71 writes:

in response to volsfannsc:

You need to read the article again. They are both in there on 3rd downs in a 4-4.

IBleedOrange71 writes:

in response to IBleedOrange71:

Sorry...short yardage...not necessarily 3rd downs.

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to volsfannsc:

I guess you did not read the whole article. Please do not comment until you read the whole article.....Here read this except from the article:

"Defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox has a 4-4 alignment and short-yardage packages in the playbook to get both on the field at the same time, but for now Johnson's main opportunities will come when UT drags off Reveiz off the field."

tnsportsman writes:

NICK! A TRUE VOLUNTEER giving his all! Nick you are a class act and wonderful young man.

And, 22 is not old, LOL. Wait to you see the 50s as a former football player, OH IT HURTS, LOL!

Go Get Em Nick! BEAT UAB!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

Orange_Juiced writes:

No need to attack VFinSC. He made a mistake or simply blew past the statement in the article in order to get to all these "exciting and positve comments." My suggestion is to save your vitriol for the unfans or trolls.

tnsportsman writes:

Yeah, I bet Coach Wilcox's 4-4 alignment will not be seen until LSU, why would they use it for UAB. I bet Coach Wilcox will have a few more surprises in big SEC games too!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

You're a bred-in-the-bone Volunteer! I loved watching your dad and uncle kick, and I love watching you make plays from the middle! Glad you are back to lead the D! GBO!

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

early predict:

UT 34
Bammers 10

You obviously are just trying to get a response, but good luck with that prediction if you are serious. I wouldn't bet the bank account on it.

bawgyman writes:

If he'd been in there on that fake punt, he'd have made that tackle that Johnson missed, however. That was a huge miss.

doolicious writes:

This is the week it all starts. GBO

allvols4life writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

And you must obviously have nothing better to do that troll around a UT website. And before you get your little panties all up in a wad, he most likely means the bammers as in the UAB team that we play this week.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

RollTide

Dwa was just testing the waters to see how many trolls were awake. Not that I count you as a troll. You have had some pretty respectable posts here.

We have troll patrols on guard. Are you ready for the big game with Arkansas?

wagee12 writes:

There once was a fifth year senior who finally started at UT after four years of reserve duty. NO one ever thought he would play in the NFL, but there he is a member of the Super Bowl champions. Yes, a middle linebacker who was too small and too slow, Marvin Mitchell!

allvols4life writes:

in response to naffy:

Is this really naffy? Did someone steal your password? Awesome post.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

I do not think Reveiz makes the pro's. Jonnson might.

What difference does that make whether he make the pros or not? The article is not about players going to the pros, it's about what it means to be a Tennessee football player. It's about a guy who probably wondered if he would ever again wear that Orange and White uniform following his knee injury. It's about a guy who will probably cry when he has to take off that uniform for the last time because he will miss it so much. Nick Reveiz shows what being a Volunteer is all about. God bless him!!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

illinoisvolfan,

You said it all. Nick is a special player and person.
Kind of a modern day version of Al Wilson.

And yes, Naffy had a nice comment..........if it was really he. After this season is over, all our good and bad memories of these great players, plus all our messages.........will sort of be like that great movie, Gone with the wind. However, people like Nick and many others, we'll never forget.

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

We can all take inspiration from this young man- Determination, Focus, Drive--great to see him back on the field

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

early predict:

UT 34
Bammers 10

I think you meant to say:

UT 34
UAB 10

Right???

If not, then what the heck are you smoking?? I'll take some of it!! LOL!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Bellem13:

Great to be a TN VOL!!!

Will be at OUR stadium and supporting OUR team and OUR University. Always will.

Ditto!!! I'll be there Saturday!!

On topic, I wish the Vols had a few more Nick Reveiz's on the team..We have some great players, but we need more depth.

GBO!!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

Reveiz making the pros...

Since when have all vol fans become so thin-skinned??

It's an observation and an opinion based on the references to the two players. Johnson has been an extremely pleasant surprise for the defense. Reveiz is doing what he does, which is play hard and get after it.

Everything isn't an attack, as much as you might wish it to be.

rockytopvol writes:

Monty Kiffin said he could play in the NFL so I'll take his opinion over a fan.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to TKO:

Dont think you matter> how many years did you play inthe NFL? exactly

Thanks, I'll keep in mind that any comment I make must be acceptable to you.

gatorhator4eva writes:

way to go nick, were with u! go vols!

NeylandWest writes:

Nick - you're one of my favorite Vols of all time. Thank you for playing with heart!

VolsDoc81TX writes:

in response to naffy:

Wow naffy!
What a phenomenal turnaround you have made. Seriously, what happened? Did you see the light and become a Vol fan? Or is it the fact that your blackberry put your name Robert O. Ellison at the end of one of your mean spirited posts?

What does the O stand for anyway?

I would still like to buy your season tickets for the remainder of the season...you do not even have to pay me. How do I contact you Robert, naffy, Bob, what do you prefer to be called?

by the way Go Big Orange!!

psychovol2 writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

I do not think Reveiz makes the pro's. Jonnson might.

Wrong; they both will.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to psychovol2:

Wrong; they both will.

would be cool if they did....
to me, though, the NFL seems so hung up on measurements more than results.

Nick is why I like the college game so much more than the pro game.

was watching the bama-ark sugar bowl game, maybe 1980?? Incredible how 'normal' all the guys where. BIG players where 6'3" - 220 obs.

mercyseat writes:

in response to voloffaith:

ewe?....ewe is a female sheep, so you're saying sheep had to type it? Wow! now maby they could turn pro!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to mercyseat:

Not too worried about it...the smarter ones figured it out, the not-so-bright ones got their panties in a wad.

Vol nation is maybe a bit tender from being constantly rubbed with scotch-brite the past few years???

tulelakevol writes:

Good article about a super young man who to me represents why I love college football so much. I think fans and trolls can agree that young men like Nick Reveiz and his heart and attitude are what makes the sport special.

orangeuavol4ever writes:

in response to UofTNFan:

You're forgiven. But only because you had good things to say. Spelling aside, Nick Reveiz is the kind of player that keeps a team together through thick and thin. He demonstrates what it really means to be, not just a Vol but a good person. He sets a great example for all those young guys.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

I don't know his football smarts, but I'd think they are pretty good....Nick just might have that ideal mentality and experience to be a great coach some day.

You know how it goes: rarely does your superstar player make a good coach; everything is too easy for them. It's the hard-workers who get it done.

Off the top of my head, only Spurrier was a great coach AND great player. How he was never a Vol has always bothered me.

psychovol2 writes:

Reveiz is a stud pure and simple. He's a leader and I want to clone him on offense.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Slow or not, you can't deny his heart and dedication.

volanator writes: