5 Big Things to Beat UAB

Game preview: UT vs. UAB

Full event details »

1. Get the ‘W’ (Duh!): After two weeks of getting bullied by top-10 foes, the Vols will be favored today. Enjoy it — and don’t blow it. Tennessee won’t be a favorite again until Memphis on Nov. 6. October will be brutal with trips to LSU, Georgia and South Carolina and only No. 1 Alabama at home. Any ‘Ws’ in that mix will require a significant upset.

2. Leg Men: UT’s Chad Cunningham is coming off a big punting effort against Florida. He’ll have to have magic in his leg to match UAB’s Trey Ragland, who ranks third in the nation with a 48.4-yard average. Futhermore, the Vols will be hard-pressed to fix their return game this week. UAB has allowed a minus-2 net yards in punt returns this season.

3. Split Personality: Justin Wilcox’s defense faces a two-headed challenge. The Blazers play two quarterbacks, one a runner and the other a passer. Bryan Ellis (the passer) will get his first start based on his big game last week, 360 yards against Troy. David Isabelle (the other) rushed for 214 yards in UAB’s opener, but only a combined 50 yards in the two games since.

4. Step In, Step Up: The Vols are battered and bruised after Oregon and Florida. Look for a couple of new starters today, including freshman guard James Stone. Lack of depth and experience, UT’s twin dilemmas, will be in play. Rookie receivers will be spotlighted since UT’s veteran wideouts , Gerald Jones (out), Denarius Moore (ankle) and Zach Rogers (shoulder), might not make much of a contribution.

5. Oku, OK?: Today could be a big game for sophomore David Oku. He’s been called out by Derek Dooley for not running with conviction on kickoff returns and certainly wants to impress the head man enough to keep his job. Also, Tauren Poole is among the walking wounded, so Oku should get more than his share of carries at tailback.

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Witch_Doctor...please tell me why we don't use the speedster Justin Hunter on Kick Offs?

Mobbdeep4life writes:

Hope to see Stocker have a productive game. UT will need production from the TE position this season. Will UT be able to throw a few deep passes in this game? Would give LSU's third and Chavis defense something to think about at least.

orangeman1 writes:

This sounds more like reasons why UT loses. From they tone of the article, sounds like UT might be in trouble. I dont think so, but after reading that, I'm not so sure.

danisavol writes:

We will see on the field. Anyone no if it is available on the internet.

danisavol writes:

what? We don't lose to uab come on

HtownVol writes:

Why does this story keep referring to the game as "today"? Did I work on a Saturday thinking it was Friday?

UT-49
UAB - 17

danisavol writes:

why or you not posting my comments

rockytopatl writes:

in response to HtownVol:

UT-49
UAB - 17

As somebody has to say nearly every week, the story was written for Saturday's newspaper.

Volsfan1985 writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

No Because he was already asked to resign before the game against wyoming

psychovol2 writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

RemembertheAlamo writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

I sorry but Fulmer didn't get dumped for losing to Wyoming. Fulmer got dumped on Nov 3rd, and we didn't lose to Wyoming until Nov 8th. The Wyoming fiasco just proved it was time for him to go.

Volsfan1985 writes:

I love CDD and we need to give him time to get the program together we can thank CPF and CLK for putting us into this mess in the first place...GBO!!!!!!!!!!!

thevoice writes:

Not used to seeing my Vols 2-6,but if we don't beat UGA, that's the story.

dvols writes:

UAB ain't coming up here to lose by thirty! TN better come to play.

TNCAT63 writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

After four games? Not likely. Who would you convince to come here and coach if Dooley was treated like that?

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Maybe it's time to throw away the beer and drink Orange Kool-Aid.At least you will not have to ask someone the next day if you had a good time at the Tail Gate party.

new_era_vol writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

come on people! fan or not, the ugly truth is we have some talent but no depth anywhere. our team is going to win a few we should, and lose a few we shouldn't. like it or not, it is going to take some recruiting, and time for new guys on the field. I believe no coach could come in with the depth we have and win 10 or 11, or maybe even 6!!! I believe in this team, but we all get tired and run out of gas. I suggest everyone in Vol Nation get behind CDD and this team, and make the stadium rock. We need to help all we can, and UT will be back as early as next year. Go Big Orange, and everyone else, GO HOME!!!!!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to RemembertheAlamo:

it's a kamikaze position for a special person that we have not had in many years. Doubt coach wants to risk the WR

orangeuavol4ever writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

I can understand why that question would be asked. I liked Fulmer, but I think the program had been very average, if not less than average, for several years. After his success and a national championship, fair or not, average was not good enough. The only expectation for a sucessful coach, is to have more success. Fans were desperate for success. (Obviously!) My expectations for Coach Dooley is to take these young, inexperienced kids and teach them what it means to play SEC football. Take them from high school or JC and turn them into Vols. Bring integrity and respect back to the University of Tennessee Football program. In return I will be patient and supporting. After all, Rome wasn't built in a day! Or a year...

mdvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

WD...I've never asked you for anything. Would you mind doing your thing for the Braves?

new_era_vol writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

I agree, give Dooley 4 years and recruiting classes.( 5 or 4 or 3 stars, whatever) Then if we are not competing for sec championships, time for a new leader. (But give the staff time)

new_era_vol writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

In addition to my last post, what would tailgating be without cold beer? Duh!!!! LOL

everydayisorange writes:

My belief is that this university cannot think about any change in any sport right now or in the future. The reason I say this is because of the buyouts of past coaches, not only in fb but bb and baseball. I know some of these coaches were fired, but they did have contracts and they did receive compensation. I also believe that because of past fb coaches, not too many others are ready to come here. This university is kind of stuck with All the coaches they currently have. I like ALL our current coaches, despite their perceived faults. JMHO

vols2#227315 writes:

I have three degrees from UT, and I hope Simms get beat so bad that our fans will call for a change at quarter, otherwise we are stuck with Simms.

everydayisorange writes:

in response to everydayisorange:

should have said near future. sorry bout that

new_era_vol writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

To have 3 degrees, you don't seem to be very intelligent. Do you realize Bray is a freshman, and furthermore I am sure (being that they are there everyday with them) that our couching staff kind of knows who is the best QB for our team. Damn people, you are either with us, or against us. Figure it out, mr. 3 degree's!!!!

new_era_vol writes:

in response to new_era_vol:

and before you correct me, I realize how to spell coaches. (just fired up with some of the idiot's on our forums)

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

227315,

Does this also mean we're stuck with you????????
Bordering on being a troll here instead of someone sporting the 3 degrees.

new_era_vol writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

227315,

Does this also mean we're stuck with you????????
Bordering on being a troll here instead of someone sporting the 3 degrees.

aamen dog, let the losers have it!!!!!!!!!!!!

CroKev writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

For those of you who are interested, here's Saban's regular season record at Bama since he arrived:
2007 - 6-6 (later had to vacate 5 wins)
2008 - 12-0
2009 - 12-0

Did you know that in 2007 he opened the season with a 52-6 win over Western Carolina (shades of UT Martin anyone?) but later lost to Louisana-Monroe (similar in talent to this week's opponent, UAB) in the midst of a 4-game losing streak (possible shades of UT's upcoming October schedule anyone?).

Does anyone thing they should have fired Saban after the first season debacle? I doubt we'll have the turnaround they did in 2008 (I sure would like to know how they did that so quickly!), but I sure like the "CDD horse" we currently have our orange wagon hitched up to.

FWBVol writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

Three degrees or not, if you are telling the truth...you missed the English class that talked about subject-verb agreement. Simms is a singular subject/noun in this case because he last name isn't a plural, but you used the plural verb get. Back to English 101 for you.

UTbassdrummer writes:

in response to new_era_vol:

way true.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

in response to CroKev:

2007 - 6-6 (later had to vacate 5 wins)
2008 - 12-0
2009 - 12-0

Nick saTan walked into a good situation at alaBubba because there was good recruiting done for 3 or 4 years before he got there.

Right now we should have 17 more players on our team under scholoships and scumbag kiffen ran thoise guys off by telling them they didn't fit in his system and that hurt our depth badly for this season.

CDD walked in with our cubbard bare plus the SEC has a rule that limits each school ro only 25 schollies per year so we can't make up that 17 player deficit in only 1 year.

From that rule alone it will take us 4 years just to get back up to full with players under schollies.

CDD isn't going anywhere because he's our best chance back to national top rankings again and also because he's under contract and it will cost too much to fire him.

We're low on $$$ right now and for a few more years which is 1 of the main reasons they want to dump the 2 North Carolina games and play a smaller college that we have to pay much less to come to K'ville.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

We win, then face 3rd and Chavis.

Chavis would be hail in a belly-bumpin' contest, though.

cloudodust writes:

The measure of a team and it's program in the national spotlight and within the SEC is based on it's record, not it's heart. That's fair because it's an assessment of the bottomline, W's and L's. When rebuilding, you must win the ones you're suppose to win and win some of the ones you're suppose to lose. A loss to UAB would be a setback, any win in OCT would be a step in the right direction. UAB has my respect. They are the USF of Alabama, but Tennessee must have this victory, whether it's a pretty W or an ugly W, we gotta carry the day. GBO

cloudodust writes:

in response to RichieRich:

Yeah, that happened. Our guys were flat and outplayed that day. Those type games must be avoided and CDD is trying to get the message engrained into his team. It starts with attitude. Attitude coupled with W's build confidence...

givehim6 writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

OK my freind, lets say UT does fire CDD was would that mean? The player would give up on the season because who would take his place? Who would want a job that traded coaches like socks? Give the guy a break he's coaching with a shallow inexperienced team and just played back to back top ten teams, at least give him 1 season anyway before start talking that phooey

in response to jobrando#216494:

Good point made even more relevant by the injuries currently plaguing most of the receiver corps.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

Usually someone that brags about having 3 degrees usually has 1 or none.

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to danisavol:

why or you not posting my comments

You are new commenter. First few have to be approved in advance.

lail#204076 (staff) writes:

in response to danisavol:

We will see on the field. Anyone no if it is available on the internet.

The UAB game is available on ESPN3.com

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Nobody makes excuses for Caldwell because no one cares about Candy football