Adams: Peterson might be ‘too good’

John Adams

UT defense plagued by missed tackles

UT offense: Dropped balls, penalties and 3-and-outs

Dooley explains missing man on field

BATON ROUGE, La. — Patrick Peterson is taller than Brandon James. He’s thicker than DeSean Jackson.

But once the chase scene is under way, you probably won’t be able to tell the difference Saturday afternoon at Tiger Stadium.

Florida’s James tormented Tennessee for four years on kickoff and punt returns. Cal’s Jackson broke open the 2007 season opener with a punt return for a touchdown.

Now, here comes Peterson, a bigger, faster version of the two. No wonder, LSU is cranking up its Heisman Trophy campaign this week for the junior cornerback, who leads the SEC with a 28.1-yard average per punt return.

You know what you call a 28-yard punt return by a player of Peterson’s caliber against the Vols? Good coverage.

UT already has given up one punt return for a touchdown this season. And Peterson has returned punts for touchdowns against North Carolina and West Virginia.

So how do the Vols postpone No. 3 for another Saturday?

LSU placekicker Josh Jasper, who is also an accomplished pooch punter, doesn’t hesitate when asked for advice.

“I wouldn’t kick it to him,” Jasper said. “I’d kick it out of bounds. … I wouldn’t mess with that.”

UT has taken a more macho approach in the past, refusing to back away from a challenge.

“That’s what teams used to do with (former LSU kick returner Trindon Holliday),” Jasper said. “They’d say, ‘We’re not going to be intimidated.’

“Then, he would bust loose on them, and you’d see them change.”

Wide receiver Russell Shepard can appreciate opponents’ unwillingness to back down.

“It’s hard with a team to tell them, ‘This dude is too good,’ ” he said.

This dude is also versatile. He’s third in the SEC with a 31.7-yard kick return average, and his two spectacular interceptions in the first four games suggest he might have the best hands on his team.

“He could play any skill position in college football,” Shepard said.

Peterson’s father played cornerback in high school and would have played in college as well if doctors hadn’t detected a heart murmur, Peterson said. As far back as youth football, the former cornerback began preparing his son for the same position while hoping he wouldn’t outgrow it.

At 6-foot-1 215 pounds, Peterson could now pass for a college linebacker.

“My friends all told me in high school that they would move me to safety (in college),” said Peterson, who was a five-star recruit out of Pompano Beach, Fla. “But I wanted to play corner, to show my cover skills.”

Not only does he look big for a corner, he looks older than your average college student, even though he just turned 20. The combination had something to do with his belated name change.

Although Peterson’s father, also named Patrick, was always involved in his life, his father and mother didn’t marry until he was in the eighth grade. Until then, he went by his mother’s maiden name, Johnson.

Because of his size and looks, people already were questioning his date of birth. So Patrick Johnson didn’t become Patrick Peterson until later.

“My dad just said wait till I get to college, so it won’t be no big deal,” Peterson said.

He changed names, but not positions. Three years later, he’s being projected as a high first-round draft pick.

As you might have noticed, he’s comfortable with the hype. He struck a Heisman pose after his touchdown against West Virginia, which resulted in a celebration penalty.

“I will never cost my team 15 yards again,” he said.

But he’s apt to be tempted, probably as early as Saturday against the Vols.

Told of UT’s unimposing track record against celebrity kick returners, Peterson didn’t make any predictions.

“I’ve got 10 great guys in front of me,” he said. “We’ll see what happens Saturday.”

Then he smiled.

John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Related Stories

dwa7#337691 writes:

early predict:

LS Who 30
UT 17

vol4good#206163 writes:

Tennessee will get better in all areas of football! Time is what this team needs. I cant see any team coached by Les Yards, beating Tn by 2 tds. I see a great chance to grow up and play above our heads on Sat. Go Vols--- Beat them Red Stick fellas! TN 27 and LSU 24.

Jetvol writes:

Adams! WHO CARES!!! Report about TN! Are you this pathetic? REPORT! Anyone who follows knows all this. I never read one article about Eric Berry where you were "bragging". I wonder why? Because you are DUMB! Pack your bags and get out, seriously, LEAVE!

dalvol writes:

in response to Jetvol:

Jet, I'm not sure what your problem is with this article. It is about our next opponent and I, for one, am glad to read about this guy. I was not aware of him before now. I will certainly be watching with interest on Saturday to see if we can handle him.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Jetvol:

The stage leaves Dodge in 15 minutes.Be on it .You are the one that is dumb.

bluetick writes:

Thats just great!

DiegoVol writes:

in response to 02champs#209256:

Except North Carolina. Sorry....Couldn't help myself.

pms151 writes:

This game is going to be close all the way. CDD knows what it is like at Tiger Stadium and the Vols will respond. Vols win. GBO

pdhuff#552644 writes:

At least their QB won't be near as good as UAB's duo.

Whoops, another crossing pattern for 13 yds!

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to pms151:

This game might be close in the first half, but after that we are toast. Come on guys, face facts, we are no good. Statisticly we were beat to death by UAB. I love my VOLS, but we will lose, and we will lose badly. Honestly, we might not win 5 games

rootin4volz writes:

lomas98 writes:

It is one thing to report on the upcoming opponent, but it is totally out of line to write a sarcastic article about how bad TN special teams have been. We know they have been horrible, you don't have to poke fun. He is basically making fun of UT's past troubles in the special teams and saying this guy will have a guaranteed TD. He may get one, but for the hometown sports editor to write this is garbage. This would be fine on a LSU site.

howdydoo (Inactive) writes:

in response to Jetvol:

The whole leave town you suck Adams line is getting old. He's not going anywhere. Save your time and spend it else where.

LEXKYVOLS writes:

in response to lomas98:

The way this team played last Saturday, they deserve to be made fun of, it goes along with the honor of wearing the orange and white. Don't want to be made fun of, then give us 110%. If they did give 110% Saturday, then we are in big trouble when it comes to the other teams on our schedule including the kitty cats and Vandy.

howdydoo (Inactive) writes:

in response to LEXKYVOLS:

How do you know they werent giving 100%. Were you on the field? I think not.

TommyJack writes:

in response to LEXKYVOLS:

They did. And we are. Better years to come. Support your local CDD.

tnsportsman writes:

in response to pms151:

I hope you are right pms151. I too think this game could be a turning point for OUR VOLS! With all the injures and being down to 63 live bodies OUR VOLS will have to win on HEART and EFFORT alone.

OUR VOLS are at a critical level of players right now. I'm always an optimistic person about life and UT FOOTBALL. IMO, OUR VOLS will find a way to win 2 in October and 4 in November, SOMEHOW!

LETS START SAT in Death Valley, our record there is one of the best in the SEC, GO VOLS, BEAT LSU!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

tnsportsman writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

If you are student, then good go study hard and forget about football. I want to see a 4.0 GPA now, LOL!

It's football, what do you want CDD to do, fly down to LSU alone, go out at game time and wave a white flag?

Play the games with heart, effort and for 60 minutes! If OUR VOLS do that and control turn-overs there is always a chance of winning.

Do you feel fant, do you feel sick, do you feel like you are going to die? THEN QUIT YOU SLIMY WORM! LOL, which movie?

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

massvolfanatic writes:

in response to lomas98:

He's just telling it like it is--big challenge for Vols but we'll keep learning.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vol fans,

You have to remember this is Tennessee week for Adams. He has waited all year for his Tigers to play us. Regardless of what happens, it is well known where J A is from and he drinks his coffee out of a purple and gold cup.

Yes, Peterson is an excellent player. We have gotten the message. Anything else John? Try not to get too giddy waiting for this game. Sort of like Adam's Christmas in October.

We used to have a state song called Carry me back to old Virginny. John's is "Carry me back to Louisiana."

Puh leeze do.

easleychuck writes:

in response to lomas98:

What he writes is what he writes.

You do know that he is an LSU homer, right? Born and bred.

crappieking writes:

Adams is a Hack.

Ralph_Crampton writes:

Guys, let up on ADAMS...he is only telling it like it is...on paper LSU has far superior talent that the big orange....but I still contend coach Les Miles has a slow, plodding team and barely beat a West Virginia team they easily could have lost. LSU fans (some fans) are beginning to doubt Miles.

owlcity#660862 writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

We will be in the ball game the first half, but they will wear us down. Our team is about two years away from being a good team. That is the reason I would play Tyler Bray. I have watching Tennessee football since 1959 and Simms is the weakest QB they have had.

kyvol98 writes:

At least we are going against the worst head coach in the NCAA this week.

Tenn_Dawg writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

At least their QB won't be near as good as UAB's duo.

Whoops, another crossing pattern for 13 yds!

Georgia has yet to cover a crossing pattern yet as well. As a matter of fact I think that Simms will connect on several of them come Oct 9th.

As far as Patterson is concerned he is Eric Berry playing corner. The guy is a stud.

VOLorado writes:

in response to DiegoVol:

Except North Carolina. Sorry....Couldn't help myself.

and usc-west

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

You don't mean it? Darn. Didn't know them thare gals had wangs also.Learn somethin everday ifin you try.

TommyJack writes:

Our best bet is to get in a clock management game with Les.

rudy123 writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

I don't logically see us winning 2 in October, but you never know, that is why we play the game.
Had we not had busted coverage and missed tackles, we could have played Oregon closer and beat Florida.
We beat U.T. Martin & UAB. We need to win 4 more games to be bowl eligible. I see us winning 7 games this season and possibly 8.
(1) U.T. Martin, (2) UAB (3) UGA (4) Ole Miss (5)Memphis (6) Vandy & (7) Kentucky then possibly our bowl game in Nashville at the Music City bowl for 8 total wins for the season.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

Sportsman,

Thank you for calling out another troll. The list of trolls is a bit disgusting isn't it? This Merlot troll can fall in line with the rest of them.

Anyone who makes a stupid comment like that really shows his ignorance. Yes, it's a tough challenge but when you say something asinine such as "feeling sorry for the students for the next 2-3 years" you have to wonder about people like this.

People just won't accept the fact that we are what we are, and several things are apparent. First, the same ones complain every day about something, nothing in particular. Also, it's good the guys who play the game don't have the same attitude some of these posters have.........they won't go into a game expecting to lose.

tnsportsman writes:

in response to rudy123:

I agree with your additonal wins, but will hold to and hope somehow we win either LSU or SC. Other than that we are on the same track with your 7 wins plus my 1, LOL!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

tnsportsman writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Sportsman,

I didn't know that guy was a Troll, thought he was a student. I quit doing 'reply to this post' on the TROLLS!

I have never been to nor never will go to another schools board or sites, I don't even know the names of their sites. Because I DON"T CARE AT ALL about the other schools teams, LOL. I certainly don't want to discuss any sports with them!

I care about TENNESSEE, our University, our Players, our Coaches and the VOLNATION!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

no1volman writes:

I know we have no depth but whatever speech we are using at halftime is not working. Dooley give them the silent treatment at half.

Homermoosevols writes:

I hope we win but I'm a realist. Better talent usually wins the game and LSU has that talent swing in their favor. But you know what thats why they play the game. Good luck UT. Make us proud. Reasons why we could win. 1. Jefferson plays like he has so far (but less we forget, LSU is known for putting a back up QB in against us and kickin our arse. 2. Peterson gets hurt. 3. Simms channels his inner Peyton Manning. 4. we can establish the run then hit the play action. 5. G. Jones back gives us a huge lift. 6. Dooley outcoaches Miles in the 4th. Whatcha think?

ghawk writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

That's true but Peterson probably has a chance.

Jetvol writes:

in response to dalvol:

This article is only bragging about one player not our opponent which is the whole LSU football team. Look at the title, what does "too good" mean?

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

who cares about some nuckle head from lsu being that you get paid to report Tennessee Football why dont you do just that adam?Or you could pack your bags and god somewhere elese where they dont care who you report on.I wish you would simply leave your not a good reporter atall!!!!!

Southland writes:

Adams does his job and he does it well. All of you folks calling him childish names and hurling silly insults his way will read what he writes everyday just so you can gripe. He was calling for the Johnny Majors teams to get the death penalty. Johnny M has come and gone and John Adams is still writing. You may not like what he says but as long as you read it and you buy papers he has a job in Knoxville. It is ok for him to tell us about another team isnt it. Why wouldnt he? UT may keep this one close and if they can they can win if major decisions have to made by Miles but UT has to keep the ball

Jetvol writes:

in response to Southland:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, mine is that Adams is TERRIBLE! I travel all over the country (look at my username) and have the oppurtunity to read publications from all over and Adams is the most negative about his home town. Maybe he learned from Howard Stern that actually being negative draws more readers tham being positive. Thats it a Howard Stern disciple!

rootin4volz writes:

YES!!! A post removed by the staff!!! FINALLY!!

idiots.

OTPVol writes:

John, your Geauxld and Purple are showing...

rootin4volz writes: