Tiger Stadium 'a monster that came to life'

Dooley says no walkthrough for Vols

• What: Tennessee vs. LSU
  • When: Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010, time TBA
  • Where: Tiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, LA
  • Cost: Not available
  • Age limit: All ages
Full event details »

For some Vols, LSU game is like heading home

Nobody on Tennessee's roster has played a game at LSU's Tiger Stadium.

And save for the handful of Vols who are Louisiana natives or have seen it on recruiting visits, most will see it for the first time just a couple of hours before kickoff Saturday.

Despite teetering back and forth, UT coach Derek Dooley doesn't intend to take his team on a walk-through at Tiger Stadium on Saturday prior to UT's game against No. 12 LSU (TV: WVLT, 3:30 p.m.).

"I've kind of changed on that because I used to like that," Dooley said. "They say go to the stadium because you get a feel for it. So you go and it's real quiet, and you see the field and you say, 'Boy, this is a nice stadium,' and you do your little walk-through."

But Dooley, who coached at LSU for five seasons under Nick Saban and played there twice while coaching at Louisiana Tech, knows what the Vols (2-2, 0-1 SEC) are up against.

"And then the next time you come out the next day, it's like a monster that came to life," he said. "I finally said we may as well just show up when it's a monster because you don't really get a feel for what it's like, even though they say go there and get acclimated.

"So we just go to the stadium when it's game day. We had a little better success that way."

UT's previous two coaches had different philosophies on the pregame walk-through for road games. The Vols did them under Philip Fulmer, but not under Lane Kiffin.

"I can see advantages to both sides," linebacker Nick Reveiz said.

"As a player, it's kind of whatever. It's all about when it's kicking off and that's when you're really feeling those emotions.

"It's not going to matter how I play on Saturday, it's not going to affect me. I know that when (kickoff) comes, I'll be ready to go."

Added linebacker LaMarcus Thompson: "I can understand why (Fulmer) did that, but it's not really a big deal if you go to the stadium or not because you know what you have to do."

And while getting to see what they're walking into could benefit UT's young team, Reveiz has a different view.

"They don't even have a basis to even judge it," he said. "Those young guys, they don't even know what to think.

"All they got to think about is that, you know what, it's still 100 yards long and 50 yards wide and the only difference at LSU is they number every (yard line)."

Good Response: Dooley was happy with the way the Vols responded after an extra day off from practice Monday.

"The last period was really good," he said. "Competitive, pads popping, helmets flying - and that's what we need to do and that's what we need to develop on a consistent basis."

The Vols did the Tennessee Drill during an early portion of practice to get the energy level back up after the day of rest.

"Even though when you get a little rest, you've got to get them going," he said. "I was real pleased how the team came out today. We got a lot done."

There's That Law Degree: Given the positive day of practice, defensive end Malik Jackson suggested the Vols should take every Monday off from practice.

Dooley had other ideas.

"Yeah . . . him playing well would help me," Dooley said. "You ever heard of quid pro quo? Tell him quid pro quo."

Status Update: Tailback Tauren Poole (thigh) wore a red non-contact jersey at Tuesday's practice, and Dooley said Poole was limited.

Cornerback Art Evans (knee) also wore a red non-contact jersey, but also said he's just "banged up" and expects to play against LSU.

Linebacker Herman Lathers (leg) practiced in a red non-contact jersey as well. Center Cody Pope did dress but did not practice.

Patrick Brown is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

thereturnoftriumph writes:

can i say first (a gator fan!!!) only kidding, score first and the crowd gets real silent. been there. good luck my sec east brothers.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to thereturnoftriumph:

Thanks. Same to you. We are both going to need a lot of it this weekend.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols and Gators have their hands full. Nice comments from thereturnoftriumph. See, people can get along.

I'll be the first to tell you I was not a good guy during that UAB game. Watched it on t.v. But, the next day, it was time to get priorities in order and we move along.

Hope everyone's team does well and that we can keep it all in perspective.

100 years from now, most of us will have forgotten it anyway!

Hounddog writes:

I am going to the game at LSU and pulling for the VOLS. Hounddog

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Been there. It can get loud, but they are good fans. They get drunker than we do. We are in second place in something. Trust me, we don't want to win this competition. They do the Mardi Gras beads and everything. LSUs colors are the same as the colors for Mardi Gras. If you are going, go early....Get there four hours before kickoff. If you are the kind who likes to mix with the taligaters from the other school, you will have one of the best times ever......

bhkidd#292186 writes:

Bring a large plastic bowl and a cup. Be nice to the Tiger fans, and you will not go hungry all day long. Gumbo, jambalaya, boudin, etouffee everywhere. I gained 5 pounds when I went back on that Monday night back in 2005.

cloudodust writes:

First road game of the year. A he** of a place to begin roadwork but it is what it is. Fear the place..? Why..? It's just a loud stadium for roadwork and although Tennessee has not been out on he road yet, we can define our ability to travel. We've beat them there before and we can beat them there again...We know Chavis' D schemes. If Simms et al can master a bit of keeping the chains moving offense, Chavis' D will overplay and we can beat them at their own game. I think our D grows a pair this week. LSU has banked this one. Never good... GBO

cloudodust writes:

..and our Freshmen and youth across the board must, MUST, kick arse or at least hold their own. It can be done...

OwensboroVol writes:

I know that you guys get tired of hearing about the history, but I'm telling you there isn't any place like Baton Rouge on a Saturday Night. I've been there twice. The last time was when we came back from 21-0 to win in overtime. I was so angry at that game, I didn't think the kids were playing very hard and I was wanting to leave in the worse way. However, My wife (An Ohio State University Graduate who, at times, shows herself to be a better Tennessee fan than I) wouldn't let me and I received one of the best rewards ever for sticking around. The first time I went there is really what I was wanting to tell you guys about. It was in 1983 if I remember right. (I'm getting older and the mind doesn't work as well anymore) My wife and I was working in Huntsville, Alabama at the time with several other Tennessee fans. Joe (Real name withheld to protect the guilty) and I decided to drive over to Baton Rouge for the game and then drive back in the same day. A rough drive but we were a lot younger then. The LSU fans had already had printed "LSU 300th or 600th (or somewhere between, the memory thing again) Victory and I was there". Well, to make the story short Tennessee had a Fullback, William or Sam Henderson, who LSU could not stop. The game was close in the first half, but after halftime Mr. Henderson started ripping them for 4-6 yards a carry and they just couldn't stop him. We ended up winning the game about 24 to 6. To say the natives were restless is a understatement. Joe and I had dutifully wore our orange Sweat Shirts to support the team. By the time the game was over Joe and I removed the shirts and went without shirts until we could get to our car and get the heck out of there. I think back on it now and there is nothing I would take for the experience. Just one of those small things which make life worth living. For anyone whom has never been to a game in Baton Rouge I would advise it and would advise you to go to one as soon as humanly possible. Sorry for taking so much of your time.

volfanwestcoast writes:

I'm making the trip for the first time to Baton Rouge, but I still remember how worn down the LSU fans got back in the overtime game in 2005. They get so drunk (even more so than Knoxville) that they tire out by halftime. We need to keep it close in the first half, and turn it on the in second. They won't even know what hit them. After watching them struggle against a terrible West Virginia team, I think we have a chance. At the very least, it will be a great long weekend in New Orleans.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Will be interesting to say the least.

Chavis, hopefully, will still be 3rd and forever as we can't make a 3rd and anything.

Give it your best shot, Vols and we'll still support you.

Throw to the Orange/White jerseys, Simms.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

It is an afternoon game, not saturday night

VOLliven2it writes:

I am hoping, hoping we will hang with a good LSU team. I am hoping we will tackle and at least put some form of pressure on the quarterback. I am hoping our offense comes out possessed and executes. I have less hope that our special teams will come up big but they just might surprise us. Since not a lot is expected, we can hope for a lot of good things. I certainly am. Go Big Orange!

BillyVol writes:

Headline should be "The first time LSU has played this group of Players from Tennessee at any time.
Vols 27
LSU 24

Troll_Here writes:

As a gator fan I've been to LSU many times. It's very true that if you act reasonable to their fans they will welcome you to their tailgates and feed you some of the best Cajun cuisine you will ever eat. Give you plenty of booze too. And most likely tell you several good jokes involving Boudreaux and Tibideaux. Here is my favorite one that was told to me in 1999. You have to imagine it being told with a heavy Cajun accent to truly enjoy it.

As per their custom, Boudreaux met Tibideaux at a local watering hole on Friday after work. Boudreaux walks in looking very unhappy, so Tibideaux asks "What da matter whit you?" Boudreaux says "I've had a headache for bout tree days now!" So Tibideaux says "I tell you wut, dis what I do whenever I have a headache. I go to my house and make sweet, sweet love to my wife. By the time I dun, the headache is dun too. You should try dat!" Boudreaux seems a little taken aback by this suggestion, but says "OK, I'll try dat." The following Friday Boudreaux skips into the bar and Tibideaux says "Did you take my advice? Is your headache dun?" And Boudreaux says "I dun everyting you said and it worked like a charm. And by the way, you have a really nice house."

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

All the bigger SEC stadiums are loud;Besides Neyland; gotta put Auburn and Swamp pretty high..Went to Swamp way back when Shuler was QB;Didn't expect royal treatment but the homecrowd was beyond hateful in every way..During the 3rd quarter cups and beers by the hundreds were thrown all at once on the 3 thousand Vol fans grouped together in the lower stands;Never saw such a thing in any stadium..Have been to Doak at FSU and they were truly a pleasure to be around.

thereturnoftriumph writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

you might want to reconsider your story. I have been going to UF home games since 1967. beer has NEVER been sold at the Swamp.

MemphoVol writes:

in response to Troll_Here:

Here's hoping LSU is overlooking the Tennessee game due to our performances to date and worrying more about their game against the gators next week. If so, we just might be able to sneak up on them.

UTPride writes:

in response to shen24:

Have you even watched any college football this year????!! LSU offense in laughable at best, and that takes alot coming from a Tennessee fan.. They have true talent on defense and the D-line are grown man.. This will be a Deffensive game, but in the end i like our offense over theirs.. You need to be concerned about your beloved Tide against the Gators.. I feel an upset brewing at Bryant Denny...

U.T.-14
LSU-13

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to thereturnoftriumph:

What was in the cups was hard to identify but a sight behold..Gator fans had no problem smuggling alchol in because I remember wading thru puke and pee on the ramps.Guess thats why it's called the swamp

UTPride writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

well played.... lol

McMinnVol writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Enjoyed reading your memories - but remember, this is an afternoon game and not a night game. Maybe it won't be as intimidating a place?

I have booked my hotel and taking my wife and 3 kids but don't have tickets yet. Any suggestions on where to look for tickets on campus?

Go Vols!

orangeinbama writes:

My one and only time to LSU was a TN win. After the game we were invited in to many tailgate parties, each with plenty of cold beer, good food and all smiles. Cant say anything bad about the whole experience.. Was a good time...

JoeBobThibodaux writes:

McMinnVol, I advise you to get to the game very early. Parking can be a problem so arrive early.
Tickets will likely be readily availalble, but who knows? Usually on the way into the university you will see a ticket hawker. The closer you get to the stadium, the better your chances. Just raise your hand indicating the number of tickets you need.
You might stand near the gate where you want to enter. You get a better seat if you choose a gate located at mid stadium, instead of a gate in one of the end zones. I have attended games for years without season tickets, and with a no exceptions, I always got in. Once, a long time ago, I got some nose bleed tickets in the Tennessee cheering section adjacent to some very attractive airline stewardesses. They almost converted be into being for the Vols. I digress. Examine your tickets when you buy them. Counterfits are very rare but still beware. I hope you have a great experience in Baton Rouge this Saturday.

Joe Bob Thibodaux

trubleoj#657755 writes:

The walk thru is good for a Hoosiers type moment if you are La tech or UT Martin but these guys have already played in front of 100,000 for 4 games. I agree that an empty large stadium in the calm of the morning is totally different than 90,000 coonazzes whiskeyed up. Coach is not patronizing and is acting like they've been there before. The reason you come to Give Your All for Tennessee Today is to stuff Billy Cannon on the one not to be awed playing in a big house.

JoeBobThibodaux writes:

in response to trubleoj#657755:

trubleoj#657755

Since the game will be in the early and mid afternoon, the Tiger tailgaters just don't have the time or inclination to get too drunk. This will be a relatively sober group of Tiger fans.

TommyJack writes:

I've partied with peeps from all regions of the U.S....have never seen anyone out-party the coonazzez.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to thereturnoftriumph:

But beer IS sold at the Purple Porpoise...

ncvol17 writes:

I have been to 3 LSU games. The 1st 2 were great. That was because I watched LSU vs Ole Miss and I could just watch the madness outside the stadium. When I went to a UT vs LSU game the fans jumped out and cursed us at almost every step to the stadium. Horrible crude fans hours b4 the game even started..I would never go back. Lost my respect for the Tigers that game.

JoeBobThibodaux writes:

in response to ncvol17:

There has been a lot of water go down the Mississippi River since the Vols last played in Tiger Stadium. I admit, years ago, I thought too many course fans were in attendance and their behavior was very bad. I haven't seen that kind of activity in years, but I remember seeing what you experienced. Please accept my apology for those jerks. I had the opportunity years ago, in plain clothes (no purple, no gold) to visit an Auburn Alumni tailgate gathering with my fully AU decked out AU first cousin, and I was really embarassed. I think the word went out about all that, and the Tiger fans have changed from then. I can't say I saw anyone jump out at us, but the yelled comments were disgraceful.

On the other hand, Tigers at the tailgate will yell "tiger bait, tiger bait, tiger bait" to any who pass by in the orange. If you play your cards right, that might be a good chance to get something to eat--complements of the Tiger fans on tailgate duty.

You are right with your recollections. Immature people do immature things. I'm sorry you have that memory.

JBT

OwensboroVol writes:

in response to McMinnVol:

Go Vols!

Things have changed so much since 1983. Back then you could always get tickets outside any of the stadiums. I went to Legion Field I don't know how many times and never had any trouble. These days with the conference being the best football available anywhere at anytime it makes it hard. Lets face it, the National championship game is played the first Saturday in December in Atlanta. The PAC 10, Big 10, Mountain West, Big 12, ACC, are all just fooling themselves. I watched Alabama against Arkansas this past Saturday, and if ANYONE comes close to beating Alabama it will be a team from the Southeastern Conference. I am so proud that Tennessee is a member of the SEC. I know that things run in cycles but for the forseeable future We (the SEC) are college Football. The answer for the tickets in Baton Rouge is that with the kind of quality SEC teams are putting on the field, I don't know that you can get tickets on gameday!

JoeBobThibodaux writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

TICKETS at LSUSports.net under the heading "Tickets". 6 postings include one batch of 5 for $250. I believe tickets will be readily available on game day but finding a batch together for your 5 could be a challenge. I think they will be available on game day, especially if you don't all have to sit together.
Where there is a will, there is a way.

WinkeyVol writes:

Don't mean to be a smart arse but the field is actually 160 feet wide.

mercyseat writes:

in response to MemphoVol:

Even if LSU does overlook us, they will still beat us! Come on guys!...... It is what it is! 4 games into the season and we cannot convert our 3rd downs. We are not gonna win very many with that handicap including the memphis game. Ya know, we might start winning if Dooley would stop bad mouthing the players, and focus on their shi--y play calling! Or... how bout leaving the backs that are "hot" in the game to develope some continuity?... I hate to see our kids struggling so, but hang in there it's only going to get worse before it gets better,but it will get better!