Gerald Jones '100 percent', ready to battle Peterson

Tennessee wide receiver Gerald Jones has his hand checked out during the game against UT Martin at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010. UT won the game 50-0.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Simms: Mastering the art of taking a hit

Dooley: Summary of UT vs. UAB

• What: Tennessee vs. LSU
  • When: Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010, time TBA
  • Where: Tiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, LA
  • Cost: Not available
  • Age limit: All ages
Full event details »

Gerald Jones pronounced himself healthy and didn't leave any wiggle room.

The Tennessee receiver also is clearly aware of the challenge that's awaiting his return, and he didn't leave himself a lot of space there, either.

Cleared to return to practice and start catching balls again for the Vols, Jones didn't show any ill effects from the broken bone in his left hand during a workout Tuesday afternoon ahead of Saturday's trip to No. 12 LSU (TV: WVLT, 3:30 p.m.).

And he'll have every chance to prove he's back at 100 percent when he jumps right back into action against Patrick Peterson, perhaps the best cornerback in the nation.

"I'm full-go, all-out, 100 percent, I'm ready, I feel great," Jones said. "I'm like a kid at a candy store. I watched film on them for about two hours (Monday) because I was so eager, and I'm so ready for No. 7, Peterson. I'm ready for him, I probably watched film on him for about two hours yesterday.

"To be honest with you, I think a lot of people fear him because he is so big (at 6-foot-1, 222 pounds). He's a pretty good athlete, but he has his weakness, too.

"He's not Superman, and I'm going to give it my all and it's going to be a battle come Saturday."

Peterson has emerged as a dark horse Heisman Trophy candidate for the Tigers (4-0, 2-0 SEC) with his big-play ability at cornerback and is a handful for any receiver, let alone a guy with a metal plate protecting the left one and a middle finger that was broken in UT's season opener.

But after staying out extra to test himself a little more and dropping only one ball while back at practice, Jones didn't shy away from the challenge.

And after missing three games and watching the Vols (2-2, 0-1 SEC) struggle to pick up third downs in his absence, he was practically giddy at the chance to get back on the field against anybody.

"It's hard to see that, and I felt like (Denarius Moore) was kind of helpless because teams were bringing a corner and safety over him and making the young guys beat them," Jones said. "It won't be that way this coming weekend.

"My biggest goal was just to try to stay positive for my teammates and for myself. I did a good job with that away from football when normally I don't when I get hurt.

"The hardest thing is when I come to practice and when I watch the games and I see things that maybe I could probably help with the team, but I'm helpless on the sideline. It's frustrating, but I didn't let it show, and I'm proud of myself because that let me know - maybe I'm growing up. Maybe I'm becoming a man."

That veteran approach is particularly important for a team relying so heavily on youth, and Jones helped supply a professional example while working his way back over the last three games.

In fact, Jones indicated he was in better shape now than when the season officially started with him grabbing six catches for 86 yards against UT Martin - though part of that might be attributed to the adrenaline boost his clearance provided.

In this Sept. 19, 2009, file photo, LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson (7) tries to charge up the LSU crowd during their NCAA college football game against Louisiana-Lafayette in Baton Rouge, La. Coach Les Miles is having Peterson return both kicks and punts.

Photo by AP Photo / The Advocate, Travis Spradling, File

"Gerald looked good, moving around good, catching the ball well, so we'll see how the week goes," Vols coach Derek Dooley said. "The first day is always easy, it's like that first round of golf in the spring when you've had about nine months off. You go out there and stroke it and go, 'I've got it.' Then you go out there that second round and you're all over the place. We'll see how he does tomorrow.

"You can't ever really be in game-shape, but he has run a lot because it was a hand and not a leg, knee or ankle. . . . He's a senior, and you could tell (it was like), 'Boom, I'm good.' There was no sign of (an issue) - and you can't make excuses."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

tnsportsman writes:

LOVE IT Gerald! You have a pair dude! GO BEAT LSU! Fire Up OUR VOLS!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

dvols writes:

HA HA

tngivem6 writes:

Hope he can cash the check his mouth just made.

Ralph_Crampton writes:

Let's go Gerald Jones....As good as you are it seems you have never lived up to your ability...its one thing after another...I realize you are not surrounded by top players, but son, this is the time to start. Glad your hand is healed...now go out there and show the Tigers what you can do.

Orangeblood13 writes:

dont know if I would call em out just yet Gerald, hope you can back it up man

if we can keep Simms upright, 3rd and Chavis will be a dish served just right

rabidvol1998 writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

dont know if I would call em out just yet Gerald, hope you can back it up man

if we can keep Simms upright, 3rd and Chavis will be a dish served just right

Check your stats. 3rd and Monte was worse and 3rd and Wilcox even worse. Frustrating on all 3 accounts.

UTME06 writes:

in response to tngivem6:

Hope he can cash the check his mouth just made.

Reading the quote, it was a $1000 check. Reading the headline, $100,000. I can bet you that the headline in Peterson's locker this week, not the quote.

I'm a Vol to the core, and I'm traveling 3000 miles to the game. But I hate to say that G J isn't in a position to verbally challenge an All American... particularly due to the weaknesses that surround him.

Prove me wrong Mr. Jones. Carry the team on your back if you can, draw pressure away from our other receivers at the least.

They must respect the pass, and we must control the clock.

Can't wait. We pull this one off, it's a new season heading to GA tied for 1st in the East (I don't thing FL can handle AL, personally). We lose, well, we still get to play for a bowl game.

Let's grind this one out, and make a statement.

VolWoman writes:

in response to UTME06:

They must respect the pass, and we must control the clock.

Let's grind this one out, and make a statement.

He told another reporter that Peterson "is a monster" so I think GJ recognizes his talents. I agree it will be known in the LSU locker room. Too much excitement being back maybe.

He also said he's pushing the team so hard they probably don't like him right now but he doesn't like the way we are playing one bit. I think his competitiveness will help the team.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Hey....I'm in. Let LSU worry about...We just became a threat to win...

Bearwuzacheater writes:

in response to rabidvol1998:

check your rosters...

the difference between 3rd and Chavis and 3rd and Wilcox has two components; the stats you reference and the fact that Chavis had rosters at UT full of all-SEC talent and Wilcox has a 1 deep roster with (maybe) 3rd team SEC talent (and his 2 deep has some walk-on level talent) to work with.

Don't get me wrong, Chief Chavis is an true Tennessee Vol and I will forever appreciate that... but his defenses were always suspect at the most critical times.

Maybe you should compare Wilcox's stats when he was at Boise the last couple of years with Chavis's the last two years at LSU where Chavis has had superior talent.

99gator writes:

patrick peterson probably has one question.

who is gerald jones?

jobrando#216494 writes:

I guess I have even more respect for him than you do. His 1998 defense was in the top 10 of all time. He kept Fulmer in work for many years. Some are laughing at the 3rd joke about him but lets see what happens Saturday night.

Vol86 writes:

in response to 99gator:

patrick peterson probably has one question.

who is gerald jones?

Agreed 99. But I think we have more talented wr's than him, they are true freshmen though. You will learn their names in time.

boroviathaochvolsfan writes:

Lets go get em'!!! Great attitude Gerald!! Maybe his leadership on the field will help this weekend....Good Luck Vols!! GBO!!!

BillyVol writes:

We will see what this team will be rest of season after Saturday.
Tn 27
LS&U 24

VOLliven2it writes:

Ease up, ease up for a moment people! We should just be glad to have Jones back. Most likely Peterson will be looking more closely at Moore than GJ. When I saw Jones make the catch in the UTM game, which was a fantastic grab, I thought he has broken his arm or hand. Too true it was. That was a tough loss. Will he be enough to help us win this game? I do not know but if he projects enough energy to fire up the whole team it will help.
Forget the Chavis/Wilcox comparisons. Come on now, it is two entirely different eras with uncomparable players. When Wilcox gets some top players and we field an entire scholarship team a few years, then let the talk begin. Meanwhile, let's go get some Tigers Vols. GBO!

abnermc writes:

in response to 99gator:

patrick peterson probably has one question.

who is gerald jones?

& Mark Ingram is asking: who is UF?

MemphoVol writes:

Maybe, just maybe, LSU is overlooking the Tennessee game this week. They've read about all the sacks, incompetence on making (or stopping) third downs, and our inexperience at most positions. They just may be thinking more about their game against Florida next week than worrying about the Vols this week.

voloffaith writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

LOVE IT Gerald! You have a pair dude! GO BEAT LSU! Fire Up OUR VOLS!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

Not bashing here ,but why do so many have to say ,"you have a pair etc." If this was a female athlete in bball with same gusto I fear the cry for that one. Just asking why it has to have those type connotations added.

On topic, glad to have another weapon back. If the ol can just give him some time to locate receivers and throw it may be interesting. Mr. Peterson is no doubt a 5* that lives/plays upto that potential. At least Gerald is not afraid to take on the challenge. Get separation so picks will be harder. Go VOLS!!!

JoeBobThibodaux writes:

I have seen some great football in Tiger Stadium versus the Vols. I saw one on the most impressive games (and Tennessee come backs) when in the 2nd half this kicker, Faud Raviez (Sp.?) and that back, Gault, put on a great show--much to my dismay. The kicker booted 3, thats THREE, 51 yard field goals, and the youth, Gault, ran up and down the field on my beloved Tigers. Seems like the score was a tie.

I look forward to another memorable contest. I must admit, I had never heard of Gerald Jones, but I hope he is 100%. For the Tigers, it will be interesting to see if the offence has made discoverable improvements. If not, then the game could be real close.

Joe Bob Thibodaux

Bellem13 writes:

UT VOLS,Just do your BEST! We ask no more.

You are OUR TEAM and we are proud of you.

givehim6 writes:

What's the chance of us seeing some G-gun? might help take some presser off Simms and the depleted O- line.

voloffaith writes:

in response to shen24:

Farrag.....oops nehs42 isn't that called stealing? Didn't your momma teach ewe like maybe Petersons not to take what isn't yours? Thou shalt not steal/lift/etc.

As a bama fan ewe could be considered a thief by stealing time from Vol fans on this VOL site.......

On topic, yes I was brought up with the line actions speak louder than words. So hopefully Gerald and the offense will have time to make plays and not sacks etc

JoeBobThibodaux writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Amigo, I go to the opposition blog sites because it gives me perspective, insite, and sometimes, even friendship. I am a SEC chauvinists, and these sites are just plain entertaining to me. I like to add my own perspective, but it ain't stealing. My mom, and two of her brothers were Tennessee graduates, but I managed to be from Louisiana because my mom married a man from Louisiana. I have heard the virtue of the Vols all my life, and, when they don't play LSU, I generally like the the Vols. In contrast, I hate Alabama and Florida. I blog them too.

At this point of the season, Patrick Peterson looks like a legitimate candidate for the Heisman trophy. The greats of college football get the ink, and the photos.

These blogs are fun, informative, and a way to keep the rivalry and tradition in college football alive and well.

I salute you. You obviously have passion for the Vols. Why don't you add something of interest on Tigerrag or 2theadvocate.com and level the blogging playing field.

Joe Bob Thibodaux

go_VOLS_13 writes:

in response to JoeBobThibodaux:

Joe Bob Thibodaux

I appreciate both of your posts. I have no problem when other team's fans post on here when it's insightful and intelligent, but I like many others hate the disrespectful posts that some seem to always do, but I also realize this is the SEC and there is always going to be competition and that need to call-out or put down another team. However, I choose to ignore those posts but when a person such as yourself can share stories and relive some football history between our 2 teams, that I enjoy. So thank you for sharing. I look forward to Saturday! GBO!

cooper65#432178 writes:

in response to tngivem6:

Hope he can cash the check his mouth just made.

I hope so too, Jones has been a classic underachiever. Let's not forget our freshmen, develop them for the end of this season and the rest of their Vol careers. Gerald please prove me wrong, but I just don't see you stepping up to the challenge.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to JoeBobThibodaux:

Joe Bob Thibodaux

Joe Bob, your views are welcome anytime.

Although I'm a lifelong UT fan, my parents have always spoken highly of LSU. When they were kids, they listened to UT games during the day and LSU games at night. The Tigers have a great legacy and I root for them if they're not playing the Vols. I also share your dislike for the Gators and Tide.

You obviously know your stuff, so maybe you can answer something for me. What happened to Dominique Allen? He's from my hometown and was a high school teammate of Marsalis Teague. He's no longer a member of the Tigers, and hopefully you can shed some light on why he left the team.

JoeBobThibodaux writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

Joe Bob, your views are welcome anytime.

Dominique Allen, a talented fullback, should be the starter at LSU, but in July, he was not attending class. That was bad enough, but he lied to coach Miles about it, and then he got kicked off the team. I believe the official statement was that he "violated team rules."

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to JoeBobThibodaux:

That's why they're called "student-athletes." Thanks for the info.

KINGKONG writes:

in response to 99gator:

patrick peterson probably has one question.

who is gerald jones?

A veteran receiver who is not scared of him.You got to have confidence going against a great player if you dont he is going to have fun with you. G-gun is a great route runner.

Jesus1Family2Career3Vols4 writes:

Over the years we have played very good in Tiger Stadium, especially in Afternoon Games. I remember back about 1991 or so Carl Pickens even took a kickoff to the house. The Vols have a history of playing well in Tiger Stadium period. Do any of you remember 2005? That was the year of Katrina, and the game was moved to Monday night. Guess What? The Vols won in O.T. As you all will recall that was Phillip's Muligan Year. We went 5-6. With hearbreaking losses to Alabama and Vandy (on Rocky Top). Anyway we can win as long as all those kids in the locker room believe. Hopefully CDD & The Staff will get them prepared. Frankly, I am anxious to see if this young team can stand up for themselves on the road. Like Daniel walking into the Lion's Den from the Old Testament. Anyway, Go Vols!

wtnvolfan writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

That's why they're called "student-athletes." Thanks for the info.

Pretty sure Dominique is MTSU bound, sitting out this year of course.

mercyseat writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Yeah... I just hope Simms does'nt throw a pick, that will be our downfall more than likely. According to Simms interviews, he knows not to make the foolish throws, but you watch, he'll throw the pick. Another example, knowing not to kick to certain speedsters, but they kick it to them anyway. That will happen too I bet. For some reason thats a hallmark of Vol football, up one game, down the next!

mercyseat writes:

in response to TheMemphisSlim:

and Art evans. I'm not saying our players are not legitimately hurt (their broken bones) but I do believe some play the system,and play like Betty White with no toughness! You want toughness? just look at Matt Simms, that's toughness guys!!!

CarlChilders writes:

Mmmm. The young man needs to get a shot at proving himself before you make sport of him. Mmmm. I hope Mr. Adams gets to say "Whad you beat LSU for? Whad you beat LSU for?"

tn_rockytop writes:

in response to VolWoman:

if they are using GJ,s coments for motivation then we are in there head they know Dooley took his team there last year and about beat them think we got a good chance ,"If a team needs locker room material then they are allready beat"

Digital5000 writes:

"He's not Superman"

You are correct. Jones is a hell of a player. If he can battle Eric Berry every practice; he'll be fine.

Take it to Peterson every play. Bust him in the mouth every chance you get. Make this guy hate lining up in front of you.

-Enjoy Yourselves