Cuonzo Martin receives Ben Jobe National Coach of the Year Award

Cuonzo Martin has been on the job as Tennessee’s men’s basketball coach since Sunday, but he’s still receiving honors from his tenure at Missouri State.

Martin received the Ben Jobe National Coach of the Year Award on Friday at the CollegeInsider.com awards banquet in Houston. The award is presented annually to the top minority coach in NCAA Division I men’s basketball.

Martin was named the Missouri Valley Conference Coach of the Year after guiding Missouri State to a 26-9 record and the school’s first MVC regular season championship.

Other finalists for the Jobe Award were Alabama’s Anthony Grant, Florida State’s Leonard Hamilton and Virginia Commonwealth’s Shaka Smart.

The award is in its second year and is named after Jobe, who is best known for his 12-year tenure at Southern University.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

northernvavol writes:

The 1st of many awards hopefully!

RoyaltyVol writes:

Congrats Coach Martin!!!

VolNExile writes:

Congrats, Coach Martin!

I don't know much about the Ben Jobe award other than what the article said, but it's pretty impressive that he beat Final Four coach Shaka Smart, one of the coaches that many members were hollering about.

I found this in Wiki about the award:

"The award is presented to the coach who has produced the best results from his basketball team under adverse or otherwise difficult conditions."

Sounds like just what we need!

RoadTrip writes:

Great news, Coach. Congrats!

Jimbobsopinion writes:

Great job Coach. Gongrats !

SATCHMOE writes:

Congratulation Coach Martin on your achievement.I hope the best for you and yours here at Tennessee. Regardless of the comments you may hear, Tennesseeans are very loyal and will back you if your work ethics are true to the success of The University of Tennessee.I love my school and expect your best sir.Again,congratz and hope the next award is an SEC Championship

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

WestKnoxRepub will be here to DEVOUR anything good about CCM in about 3...2...1...

I agree with EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

I agree!

thevoice writes:

Congratulations coach!!! You've certainly made the most of your short, but impressive, head coaching career. Sure hope more awards come your way. Go Vols!

murrayvol writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Tell us again BB....it's got a good ring to it.

NashvillePreds writes:

Sweet.

Who won the Durham award?

GO VOLS

GerryOP writes:

Congratulations Coach! 'Zo Vols!

greg03#259145 writes:

in response to VolNExile:

Congrats, Coach Martin!

I found this in Wiki about the award:

Sounds like just what we need!

Well, he will have to win it again next year,hands down.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I agree with EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID!

Wow, someone needs to work on thier reading comprehension skills. I hope Coach Martin succeeds, but I stand by my assertion that granting Ware an UNCONDITIONAL (important word there) release wasn't a smart move and I stand by it. I have no firm opinion of his coaching ability, other than he was a better hire than several of our other options (Byrd, Marshall), but I also questioned the hiring process, mostly based on timing, which falls on Hamilton, not Martin. I hope he wins next year, and I expect to be in the tournament and if we're not, I will voice my disapproval. My standards did not drop just because we changed coaches.

BreatheUT writes:

Congrats Coach Martin!!!

VOLDoll writes:

Congratulations coach!!!!!!

It feels great to finally have a winning coach here in Knoxville.

TheVolMan writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Just curious what you are thinking: what OTHER kind of release could Tennessee have offered? You don't know the facts.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

WOW! Bruce Pearl has set this program back 5 years. If his royal jackasz didnt get us put on probation? How in the hel! do you expect them to make the tourney?

By the way you could probably win to if you cheated. lol!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

By the way you could probably win to if you cheated. lol!

You said it VD! Agree 100%

TennVol01 writes:

Congrats Coach Martin. What a high honor and you won over high competition. Also, I noted that you defeated Wichita State twice this past year....the team that just defeated Alabama in the NIT final.

Can we expect you to defeat Alabama next year if we play them?

dbc5361 writes:

A who's who of college basketball coaches were finalists.

Neither of the 2 coaches to win this award has EVER led a team to the NCAA tourney.

Why is Shaka Khan not the winner?

GoVols025 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

FWIW, and I haven't made it my life's ambition to check all sports news resources, but you're the only report I've read today that claims Coach 'Zo made a mistake by giving Ware an unconditional release.

John_10065 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Thank you for your ignorance.

I consider that giving Ware an unconditional release was EXACTLY what he should have done. Ware signed with UT under Pearl's tenure, not Martin's.

Why would any coach want someone who didn't want to be there or even worse, make them sit out a year to get a scholarship at another school? Is that what you really want? Make them suffer by playing at UT or not play at all for a year because the coach they signed with isn't there now? That's pretty pathetic to say the least.

Who knows, he might bring him in anyway signed with a letter under HIS name not Pearl's. Even better it shows that he isn't petty and wants the best for the player, not the school or himself. Frankly I have NEVER understood why coachs who come into a program won't release letters of intent signed under the former coach should that player come to them and ask for it directly and not through the press.

It shows a bit of class and honor on Martin's part and frankly might go a lot further to helping recruiting than you could even begin to understand.

born2ride writes:

Why should minority coaches have an award?

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to TheVolMan:

A release where he was free to sign anywhere but another SEC school, kind of like what Dooley did with Aaron Douglas, making the school eight hours away.

VolNExile writes:

in response to dbc5361:

A who's who of college basketball coaches were finalists.

Why is Shaka Khan not the winner?

Well, since it seems to give extra points to those who have done well with a program that had bigger-than-usual problems, it's not terribly surprising that neither coach has made the tourney (yet.)

Not saying that you're one of them, but these boards seem to have an awful lot of posters (or the same one with way too many screen names, lol) who want it all right now, completely ignoring that sometimes you have to do some rebuilding. BBall can be turned around a lot faster than football, but sheesh, there's still a time element involved. Even if we were keeping a stellar team for next year, they still have to learn the new guy's game.

Unless you're writing for Hollywood or something, I suppose.

My belief is that CCM can make Tennessee basketball great, but it's ridiculous to say that he "has" to make the tournament 11 months from now. I question the motivations of those who keep posting this.

Let's build a solid program, from the ground up if that's what it takes, and then we can be a regular tournament presence, One that's great year after year, and doesn't get bounced out in the first round.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

That didn't work too well considering the fact that Douglas is now at Alabama.

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

Congrats Coach!!!!

Maybe Hammy's not so dumb!

On the other hand, Hammy could hire Phil Jackson and it still wouldn't raise his IQ.

888657 writes:

Coach made the right decision granting his release. I don't care how good he is, or anyone else for that matter. If he doesn't want to be a Vol. I don't want him here either. Martin is our Coach and we need to stand behind him. If not, wait til Ware chooses his school, and follow him.

finn writes:

Great news, Coach. I guess Hammy wasn't the only guy in America that heard of Conzo before. He might not have been a big name for the casual fan but he evidently has made a few impressions in the business.

orangepeel writes:

I support Coach Martin but not Hamilton, Mike Hamilton needs to be fired today.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

WTG Martin.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

I'm a 55 year old white who grew up in the south(Ga.) and the awards that are now for African Americans I think mostly started out as the only way African Americans could even get any awards at all even when they obviously deserved them. That sounds silly now but I don't think we need to worry too much about these earned awards. Maybe they're outdated now I don't know. But there is no reason I can think of to end them. I don't see them as racist.

roobomb writes:

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

You said it VD! Agree 100%

I agree 100% too... with you calling her VD, because she is just as irritating and nasty as a venereal disease.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to mountainbrook:

That didn't work too well considering the fact that Douglas is now at Alabama.

He went to a JuCo out west in between.

mattlock writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

There is nothing but an UNCONDITIONAL release when you're talking letter of intent, its different if the player is transferring, then you can limit. What Coach did shows character and confidence, and it is much better than holding an 18 year old hostage to a coaching change. You're wrong on this one, Coach Martin grew even further in my eyes when he released Ware. Maybe he comes back, maybe he doesn't, but it was the right move.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

Just like MAJORITIES are allowed to leave MINORITIES out of coaching due to race. But you wouldn't wanna discuss that now would you? Some of these awards are probably old, perhaps outdated. But people with your train of thought are the reason awards like this exist anyway. So thank yourself.

pvtoe writes:

And the plaque he received was made by me at The Trophy Shop in Johnson City for sportsinsider.com

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to pvtoe:

For real? Hey, have you seen the boy from Science Hill Play? Daniel Norris. He's the #6 ranked player NATIONALLY and #1 ranked pitcher NATIONALLY. A lefty that throws 96mph. Sad thing is he's going to Clemson. CTR has to go!!! 3 top 28 players NATIONALLY (2 from Farragut, 1 from JC) and CTR didn't snag 1 of them.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

HMMM, interesting. We have offered another kid. 4* #42 nationally, #11 PF nationally from Missouri.

And contrary to what a few on here wanna say about him, this kid from Okla. CCM offered is supposed to be a SHARP SHOOTER. Yeah, he might have had mid-major offers, but dude has RANGE.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Not sure we have offered yet, but he was being recruited by CCM at Missouri State. My bad. We are recruiting him though.

Orange_since_84 writes:

in response to John_10065:

Thank you for your ignorance.

I agree the release was good and I hope Martin can re-recruit him, but if I remember correctly, Pearl began his UT career by not releasing Tyler Smith who had been recruited by Peterson. Pearl defended has actions on the ground that he had signed with UT not Peterson.

Orange_since_84 writes:

in response to dbc5361:

A who's who of college basketball coaches were finalists.

Why is Shaka Khan not the winner?

Really?

Orange_since_84 writes:

in response to roobomb:

Touche! Now this was a witty, precise, cogent, articulate, accurate and well thought out reply.

kman29 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

While your point about hiring coaches is valid, the problem is, you only hear one side of that complaint. For years we continually heard about the struggles african americans had in getting QB jobs. Yet nobody speaks a word when someone like Toby Gerhart gets turned down by school after school to play running back because of his color. Nobody blinks an eye when looking at the list of 25-30 players a college football team signs and there is not one white male. Where is the outrage there? There isn't! But I gurantee if a school like USC, Florida, Texas ect..signed a 25 man all white class the stories would be flying all over about racisim.

pvtoe writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I have not seen him play but have a friend whos son plays for Science Hill. I've heard of him but really dont know that much about him. Too bad he's not going to wear Tennessee orange. We did all the awards for the collegeinsider tournament and their national awards also. You have to scroll all the way over to the right for our logo or you'll miss it. Thanks, Phil, The Trophy Shop of Johnson City

VOL1972 writes:

I really don't understand why everyone rules out the possibility of us making the NCAA tourney next year. Barring a sanction by the NCAA, there is no reason CCM can't get us there.

Pearl's first team had no 5* players and only one 4* (Major Wingate). CJ Watson and Lofton were both 3*'s. He made it to the Dance

This team has several 4* players (mostly riding the bench). Even if our 5* players (Hopson & Harris) don't return, the cupboard isn't exactly bare. CCM was a win away from making it to the NCAA with a less than stellar cast.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to orangepeel:

I support Coach Martin but not Hamilton, Mike Hamilton needs to be fired today.

Ditto!

Go Vols!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to kman29:

Did they tell Gerhart he couldn't play because he was white? No I don't think so.

"But I gurantee if a school like USC, Florida, Texas ect..signed a 25 man all white class the stories would be flying all over about racisim."

This is INSANE. So you think MAJOR D-1 programs recruit according to a players race? Nah, they go after the best players to help them win. If it turns out there are more blacks, that's just how it is. There are more whites in baseball, that doesn't mean race is an issue. There are more blacks in football, that doesn't mean there is a race issue IMO. But in baseball, being primarily white, you mostly have white coaches. Football and basketball being primarily BLACK, you don't think it's odd you don't see more black coaches? Black players are smart enough to execute on the court/field, but not the sideline?

I would prefer to drop the subject myself. But I'm not gonna sit back and let offensive comments slide. People who created the issue of racism now crying racism/discrimination. PLEASE!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to kman29:

OH, and until family members of yours have police german shepards let loose on them for simply walking down the street, you and tweet might wanna shut it up. Neither one of you have a damn clue what you are talking about.