Nikki Caldwell named head coach at LSU

Former Tennessee assistant coach and current UCLA head coach Nikki Caldwell signals to her players during the game at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday, Nov. 28, 2009. The Lady Vols defeated the Bruins 61-47.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Nikki Caldwell won national championships as a player and an assistant coach at Tennessee. Now she’ll try to do it as head coach at LSU.

Caldwell, a native of Oak Ridge, was named women’s basketball coach at LSU, vice chancellor and director of athletics Joe Alleva announced Saturday night.

“Nikki is one of the best and brightest coaches in the country and LSU fans will be proud of the way she will represent this program,” Alleva said in a university statement. “She comes from a great pedigree having coached under two of the best in the game in Pat Summitt at Tennessee and Debbie Ryan at Virginia. She has been successful on every level — as a player, an assistant coach and a head coach — and she has all the qualities to bring our program to national prominence.”

Caldwell took over at UCLA in 2008, going 72-26 and reaching the NCAA tournament twice. Prior to her arrival, UCLA had won just one NCAA tournament game in nine seasons.

This past season, the Bruins were 28-5 and was a No. 3 seed in the NCAA tournament before getting beat by Gonzaga in the second round.

As an assistant at UT from 2003-08, Caldwell helped the Lady Vols win NCAA titles in 2007 and 2008 and reach the Final Four five times. The Lady Vols compiled a 195-24 mark during her six years as an assistant coach.

As a player at UT from 1991-94, Caldwell was known as a tenacious defender with 3-point shooting ability. The Lady Vols were 118-13 during her tenure, winning the NCAA title in 1991 and capturing two SEC regular-season titles and a pair of SEC tournament titles.

Read more at LSUsports.net.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tnluv2play writes:

The LSU women will be contenders again in a few years with Nikki at the helm. What a great hire for LSU!

MikeTheTiger writes:

YES! We're coming after you Lady Vols!!!

Pullingguard writes:

She will replace Pat in about 5 years... Pat will hang it up by then maybe before... Would be great hire for UT when Pat retires..

SummittsCourt writes:

Great hire by LSU, but she will not be able to beat Pat very often if at all.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Maybe, my guess is that Pat will stay another 7-8 years and hand the reigns over to Tyler Summitt.

Outdated writes:

Nikki did a great job at UCLA and the SEC needs more good teams..

tnluv2play writes:

IMO, Tyler won't have the experience to take the reins for several years. I look for him to come back as an assistant coach. My money is on Nikki when Pat retires.

Outdated writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

The women's program may be able to hire someone with a UT connection but it appears anyone with a UT connection is being eliminated for consideration in the men's sports...

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

You are under arrest and charged with 1st degree stupidity.

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

You have been charged as a co-conspirator of stupidity.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

You are under arrest and charged with 1st degree stupidity.

Arrest for 1st degree stupidity but couldn't get a conviction due to lack of cognitive mental ability. No one could actually believe Tyler takes Pat's place unless Pat C. is fired as AD and position is consolidated under the administrator with impeccable and proven decision making capabilities, Mike Hamilton.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

DDL, you are charged as a co-conspirator with stupidity. Obviously you have the same qualities as Summits Court and the current AD for the men's program.

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

Sir, you do realize that you have the right to remain silent?

utjunkie writes:

Why would you want to leave L.A. to coach LSU. The weather and the scenery is better, the conference is easier. Go watch the Lakers or the Dodgers. You've got Hollywood just up the road. A move closer to home I guess.

VolinTally writes:

Well, this will certainly make recruiting a lot more competitive in the SEC. It's a great hire for LSU.

kantanuuv writes:

adimatteo#261830 writes:

no one loves UT more than I, and I am ahuge Lady Vol fan,and CPS fan. Read her books, love her.
But I think I would actually stop following it, and stop donating if her son really became coach...it is bad enough the two kids were on the BB team
Sorry, I am hoping CPS has alittle more integrity than that, and I think she does.

Would love to see Nikki here, great for program all the way around, after CPS stops.

voloffaith writes:

in response to jecusitnet:

How about praying for God to change your heart? Your lead line is defamatory/abusive and violates user agreement. That was a sad thing in lady bengal bball history and should be left alone. Then you want to drag Coach Caldwell into the mess....sad. Definitely a troll and no VOl fan would do that to one of their own.

Good luck Coach except when we play and recruit against each other.

punkin writes:

She is one hot lookin woman.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Pat retired 3 years ago .....

huntined#565710 writes:

She was a good player at UT as I watched the 1991 championship game against VA the other day and they were not as tall as they are now but they shot well and hit the boards. They got them a great coach at LSU and they will be tough right off the bat...

12Hours writes:

in response to jecusitnet:

I would have no problem with my straight daughter playing for Tara at Stanford!
It's not an illness caught by socializing with a gay person.
It is a sexual preference that I happen to believe one is born with.
Tara is a very fine human being. I would rather my child be around that than a straight perszon, like yourself, filled with hate.
One of the best teachers I ever had was clearly gay and did not hit on any of his students.
Being gay is not equal to being a pervert.
In fact most pediphiles are straight men preying on young females. Now that is sick!
You need to make your trip to church this Sunday morning an extended visit.

madrigal writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Don't be too sure. Pat once said that Kellie (Jolly) Harper was the smartest player she ever coached and she would likely be back at UT one day. It wouldn't surprise me if she came back either as assistant to Nikki Caldwell or as head coach, maybe with Tyler Summitt as an assistant. She isn't having the greatest luck at NC State but their recruiting process may not be the best. UT has a good one in place.

madrigal writes:

in response to jecusitnet:

Why don't you get over yourself, troll?

TennVol01 writes:

Nikki will replace Pat. Not Tyler......

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

You are under arrest and charged with 1st degree stupidity.

OH NO. YOU ARE THE STUPID ONE. NIKIE WANTED BACK IN THE SEC. PLEASE DON'T GET TOO FAR AHEAD OF YOU BIG WISHES.

wagee12 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Kelli Jolly Harper will be the next head coach for UT women.

12Hours writes:

in response to wagee12:

Kelli Jolly Harper will be the next head coach for UT women.

Has everyone forgotten about Holly Warlick?
I'd say there is a good chance she will follow Pat.
Congrats to Nicki on the LSU hire.
Glad she is back in the SEC.

ladyvolcp3 writes:

thank god the sec will get better now.

govolshw writes:

in response to 12Hours:

I would have no problem with my straight daughter playing for Tara at Stanford!
It's not an illness caught by socializing with a gay person.
It is a sexual preference that I happen to believe one is born with.
Being gay is not equal to being a pervert.
You need to make your trip to church this Sunday morning an extended visit.

umm... yes, men marrying men and women marrying women is a perversion of marriage.

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to cdtnladyvols931#663910:

You are being formally cited for public stupidity. Who is Nikie? You big wishes? C'mon man.

12Hours writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

I guess I never thought of 52 as "pushing 60".
Please call Bruce Pearl and tell him not to bother to try and coach again since he just turned 50.
Seriously! How many great mens and womens coaches are well past 60?

12Hours writes:

in response to govolshw:

First, many gays have no desire to "marry"just as many straights are simply living together.
Second, God made all of us including gays and straights who don't marry their partners. Let him alone judge them.
Third, if you are so disgusted by gays, how do you watch women's sports when you acknowledge many are gay?
Fourth, how do you watch men's sports, or eat in restaurants, or get your haircut etc, etc since it is common knowledge that there are gays in all those jobs.
Damn,you better just stay at home and not leave the house. They're everywhere!
What a sad thing to be such a hater.
I hope, for the kid's sake,that you don't find out someday that your favorite grandchild is gay!

voloffaith writes:

in response to 12Hours:

Damn,you better just stay at home and not leave the house. They're everywhere!
What a sad thing to be such a hater.

He already has judged them. Unless they turn to Jesus Christ and cry out 4 forgiveness and mercy fo rtheir sins against HIM they will spend an eternity in hell away from HIS love and presence. The Word says in Romans 1 that the men and women exchanged the natural for the unnatural. They choose to behave opposite from the natural way their Creator intended. I don't "hate" them ,but rather pray 4 them. In God's eyes sin is sin whether me being a murderer or lesbian/homosexual. The only ones in heaven are the ones who have repented of their actions and have been given a new life through Jesus Christ. Doesn't negate consequences of our actions necessarily here on Earth,but in eternal perspective forgiven and have a changed heart that would rather please God than self the old ways.

On Topic, Coach Caldwell is respected and as best we know her lifestyle has only been speculated about by those who don't know. Another tough match for lady Vols in the future that ,as others have said, improves SEC women's level of play.

Ron1967 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Pat Summitt will will not go unchallenged handing the program over to a novice(her son) if she ever attempts anything like that. The Lady Vol program would have been improved if PS was going out to pasture and Nikki Caldwell was coming back to UT.

TennHillbilly writes:

Yay Nikki....grats.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I try not to be prejudiced, but I have a real bias when it comes to men coaching women's sports. Can't help it, I've tried to get past it, but I can't. Therefore, I'm glad to see LSU buck the trend and get a woman coach. Man, did they ever.

YankeeVol writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

I love Pat, but that would be a huge mistake. I think even she would see that. Why would you set your own kid up to fail like that?

govolshw writes:

in response to 12Hours:

Damn,you better just stay at home and not leave the house. They're everywhere!
What a sad thing to be such a hater.

well sounds like I pressed a few of your buttons 12 hours out of the closet...

First, being "gay" is a sin just like murder, stealing, rape, or lying. Mankind has a sin nature. Sin is sin to God. God says marriage is between a man and a women, so anything other is a perversion.

Second,I don't know where you got your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th points from my first little ole factual post.

Third, I get my haircut from a barbershop not a hair salon.

You really sound like a poor miserable fellow,(or woman), that needs a lot of guidance in life; for your kids' sake I hope you seek and get help. Thank you come again

govolshw writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Great post vol4gzus, I hope they listen to what you've said here and follow it up in God's Word and see the truth.

12Hours writes:

in response to govolshw:

well sounds like I pressed a few of your buttons 12 hours out of the closet...

Third, I get my haircut from a barbershop not a hair salon.

And I guess if you were bashing mixed race people and I defended them, you would say I'm mixed myself.
Well,I'm not mixed, and not gay.
What I am is tired of people like you who are so shallow.
I happen to work with a lesbian woman who is one of the finest people I know. Honest, hard working, kind and very loyal to her partner who has MS.
I've seen some of my male friends leave wives because they gained 25 pounds after giving the SOB a couple of kids. I myself have been married for 26 years and admire the loyalty of my gay colleague over some of my straight friends.
So the only button you pushed is my dislike for narrow minded people like yourself.
So, let's just agree to disagree about this subject and agree to agree that we both are VOL fans.
Have a nice life.

CharlotteVol writes:

in response to JamesBond007:

Let's call it what it is, Bond... Nikki is HOT!

Wasn't Pokey Chatman kind of hot too? Can't remember...

charlyand#601962 writes:

Why are some of you in such a hurry to push Pat out the door? She isn't that old and won't retire for many years. She still enjoys teaching, it seems, and is the best at her job. On topic, Caldwell is a great addition to the SEC. The conference was weak this year and we now play so many conference games that we can't play as many non-conference ranked opponents. I believe that hurt us. However, some of the SEC teams were very young this year. Some of the other coaches are very good also, like Fortner and Mitchell. Again, welcome back, Nikki.

govolshw writes:

in response to 12Hours:

Well,I'm not mixed, and not gay.
What I am is tired of people like you who are so shallow.
Have a nice life.

First of all 12 hours still in the closet, did I question the loyalty, honesty, kindness, or work ethic of your "gay" friends? No. The point of my post was to tell you that you were wrong. Your male friends are just as wrong for leaving their wives as your "gay" friends are for living the lifestyle they choose to live; both are wrong. No need to get all tore up over it.
So, let's just agree that you're a little too upset and not thinking clearly enough to continue this argument. Hope you get things straightened out,(no pun intended).
Go Vols!

rocky_topper writes:

Nikki will be kicking our tails in 2 years....watch and see!

orangecountyvols writes:

Is my computer playing a joke on me? At halftime, with U Conn up 4 against Notre Dame, and assuming "Moore" was to follow in the 2nd half............I just went to bed.

So this morning Fox sports shows 72-63 Notre Dame. Is that a late April Fool's joke?

If so, with the infamous Maya Moore, does this mean Geno doesn't get to tie Pat with #8?

BobbyGraham writes:

in response to CharlotteVol:

Let's call it what it is, Bond... Nikki is HOT!

Wasn't Pokey Chatman kind of hot too? Can't remember...

Yes. Pokey Chapman was hot. Lots of people thought so. Including some of our Lady Vol coaches. i won't name names but it was all of them.

rocky_topper writes: