Cuonzo Martin: Win total depends on Hopson's, Harris' decisions

UT basketball coach Cuonzo Martin talks about his coaching philosophy

Don’t ask Cuonzo Martin a question if you can’t handle the truth.

Tennessee’s new men’s basketball coach lived up to his reputation of “keeping it real” when asked how the Vols might fare next season with one of the toughest schedules in the nation on tap.

“The success level we have depends on how many games we win, and I can’t really give a gauge on that, it has a lot to do with Scotty (Hopson) and Tobias (Harris) and whether they return,’’ Martin said Tuesday. “I think with the schedule we have, if we have those guys, it’s a good schedule.’’

Teams like Duke, Kansas, Georgetown and UCLA await UT at the Maui Invitational, national champion Connecticut comes to Knoxville, and the Vols have road trips to Oakland (Mich.), College of Charleston and Memphis.

Having All-SEC guard Hopson back for a senior season and Freshman All-American forward Harris would improve UT’s chances of making a seventh consecutive NCAA tournament.

But Martin wants what’s best for the players first and foremost, to the point he is excusing Hopson’s absences from UT workouts.

Hopson missed Monday’s session because he is in New Jersey working out in preparation for NBA tryouts. Martin said he anticipated Hopson would return to Knoxville, but he did not specify when.

UT associate director for media relations Tom Satkowiak said Hopson has notified all of his professors and made arrangements to complete his assignments and class requirements.

Hopson and Harris will declare themselves eligible for the NBA draft by the April 24 deadline and have until May 7 to announce intentions to return and maintain eligibility, provided they don’t sign with agents.

“I don’t think you can rush guys to make a decision; this is their lives and their futures,’’ Martin said. “They have to get the best information possible to make a decision, and that doesn’t happen overnight.

“I think they’re going to be pros whether it’s this year or next year . . . it’s at what level and for how long.’’

UT’s recruiting will be affected by the players’ decisions. Martin said he wants at least 10 players on scholarship. The Vols have nine counting Harris and Hopson.

Martin said he doesn’t utilize more than “nine or 10” players in his rotation.

“At Missouri State we like to say we played six and three-fourths,’’ Martin said. “Five starters 30-plus minutes, one guy 25 minutes, and three guys five or 10 minutes depending on how things went down.’’

Martin will watch film of all the returning players, but he said starting positions and playing time would be based on practice performance and effort.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SummittsCourt writes:

A well coached team doesn't need stars who take time off during the game. If Hopson can't handle working hard and playing hard every game, every minute he needs to go to the NBA. Harris I believe will come back and continue to be the leader of this team.

MusicCityVol writes:

Some hard truth from Cuonzo. If Harris and Hopson go pro and we lose out on Ware and Jones next year could be UGLY. I like the new staff but they still have a lot to prove.

Hoops Staff Can Play, Can They Coach?

CharlotteVol writes:

Summitt I agree. Hopson is a one-dimensional talent right now. Great speed and ability to drive to the basket, but limited ability to dish it off to the open man, and no skills on D. He would benefit from another year in college, especially if the new coaching staff will work on rounding him out.

I feel like Harris needs one more year too. Plus he has to like the coaching staff's strong experience playing the perimeter. He has the size and skill to be a Scottie Pippen style of player.

Go Vols!

Outdated writes:

WhatI have read and heard about Martin is that he will demand his players play defense and rebound..Harris is an excellent rebounder and has the talent to improve his defense..I sure hope he comes back for at least one more year..Hopson is pathetic on defense..other teams isolate him and his man shoots a layup WAY too many times..I can't recall ever seeing him box out and the only time he gets a rebound is because someone else boxes out and the ball happens to bounce his way..IF Martin can make a NBA player out of Hopson..he is a genius...Do I think Hopson will be back for another year..Yes..and Martin has his work cut out for him if he does..and if he does make a complete player out of Pouting Scotty..I will gladly eat my words..but I don't think so...

springtx_vol writes:

in response to CharlotteVol:

Go Vols!

Harris and Pippen may be similar in size, but Harris isn't even close to Scottie when it come to foot quickness. From memory, Scottie played very "long" with his height and arm length.

Harris is going to be more of a postup player than Pippen was. I don't know if Tobias will ever have the defensive skills Scottie has. However, if he is even 80 to 90% of Scottie, he will be a successful NBA player.

kantanuuv writes:

"The success level we have depends on how many games we win."

Hold on while I get a pen...

Orange_since_84 writes:

in response to kantanuuv:

"The success level we have depends on how many games we win."

Hold on while I get a pen...

Does that mean we have to score more points in each game?

muddogUT writes:

Should have keep Pearl.

BobKesling_is_overpaid writes:

Hopson's trying out for the WNBA right?

VOLliven2it writes:

Another factor in what happens will depend on how the NCAA rules. We may be out of next year's tournament before the season starts if we are hit hard. That is yet to be seen. It in and of itself could strip the heart out of some of our playing. I hope it doesn't. As for Hopson and Harris, it would be great to have both, if they truly want to be here. But we do not control that or Ware or Jones. So the coaches have to strap in and go after as many and as good recruits as possible. This coming season will be tough but we will get through it and may play better than many think.

al2476 writes:

We could have fared better with our situation by showing the NCAA that we mean business, by getting rid of Hamilton. He is the culprit that has caused this mess in Knoxville. He should already be on his way as we do not need him. He sucks. Fire Hamilton.

easleychuck writes:

This coach has a good handle on the situation. Better yet he says it in a way that even the naysayers and trolls can comprehend it.

And that is saying something.

OrangePride writes:

Harris, if he decides to declare himself for the NBA will go somewhere near the middle of the draft; late first or early second round. Scotty, on the other hand, will either be a very late selection or perhaps not at all. He has some nice skills, no question....but so too do an awfully lot of other guards coming out this year. My suspicion is that Scotty will be back and it's 50-50 on Tobias, who I think is getting a LOT of push from family and advisors to go pro. We will know in a few weeks and either way, Tennessee will be fine.

VolBy3 writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Wow! They walk among us.

brod writes:

my birthday is may 17. it wouldn't be too much to ask for harris and hopson to come back would it?

VolBall18 writes:

It amazes me that some of you are ripping Scotty the way you are. If you didn't already notice, until later on in the season, Hopson would have been the SEC POY if he would have kept up what he was doing earlier in the season. I guarantee you all were shouting and screaming whenever he was on a roll! If you would have actually watched the games, all of the players were not performing as they should have. The only player that really had a bad year and made very dumb mistakes during the entire year was Melvin Goins. If Scotty comes back, which I hope he does, don't get excited for him or be happy when he does good. Don't be a hypocrite.

orangepeel writes:

We will not have to worry about going to the NCAA next year because we will be on probation with a post season ban. Hopson and Harris may as well leave. Has Mike Hamilton been fired yet.

Outdated writes:

in response to VolBall18:

You could not be more wrong..Melvin Goins was by far the best defensive and most competitive player on the team..His ability to shut down the other point guards was the key to our best wins..THE so called "body language" of Hopson when things got tough was what I see as backing down when you are getting beat...Vol fans have every right to blast "lack of effort" and I don't see any way Martin will tolerate the lack of effort Hopson had way too many times...It is true he played great at times..especially Pitt..but that does not excuse him beating his chest after a dunk while the other team is shooting a lay up..I don't think we'll have to watch this again if he does come back..I was a strong fan of what Pearl accomplished here but he did not do a good job handling Scotty...

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

DON'T BE CUTE. SHOULD HAVE KEPT PEARL. BUT, FOR SURE NOT KIFFIN. MORE TROUBLE. PEARL WAS TOO GOOD THEY DIDN'T WANT HIM.

VolBall18 writes:

in response to Outdated:

Melvin was a good defensive player. That's it! I can't count how many times he would have an open player on offense, and decide to shoot a three, which he rarely ever made. He always shot three's at the end of games when we only needed 2 points and he never, ever passed to McBee. Watch the games over. McBee would be wide open on the wing and when Goins had the ball, he never got a chance to shoot. It's true that defense is a huge key to win a game, but you gotta have offense to go along with it. Example: BUTLER. Melvin didn't have any offense. So don't tell me he was better than Hopson last year.

tmartin writes:

Couldnt agree more with the headline.

Harris returns = more wins
Hopson returns = less wins

Either way, please get a real PG that doesnt dribble out the shot clock and a C that can hit from .5 feet

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to muddogUT:

Should have keep Pearl.

STUPID

westknoxrepub writes:

Lowering expectations for next year. . .not a good sign. Offering players whose other offers are coming from low major schools with losing records. . .not a good sign. Releasing two high level recruits to go wherever they please, including division rivals. . .not a good sign. We didn't fire a coach who took us to six straight NCAA tournaments just to hire a coach who expects to lose, that type of mentality will drag this program right back to Buzz Ball.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to orangepeel:

Witch Doctor thought you had already turned in your "Vol" card??? Witch Doctor remember you said you were done a couple of days ago(??)...so you are just here to cry ?
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Witch Doctor say thanks for proving you dont "read" the articles you just "whine" over the articles..(both you dumbazzes didnt finish reading the sentence before your panties got in a wad. you are TOO easy!!)
Witch Doctor say time for "precious" to dance!
dance!
Bones never lie.

Outdated writes:

in response to VolBall18:

When Melvin Goins saw other players not getting the job done he tried to do more than he should have on offense..McBee plays with heart and shoots better than most Vols when he is open and I do not recall Melvin Goins passing up any opportunities to hit an open man..Melvin Goins loves contact and competition..that's what made him the best defensive player we had..by far..that is why people who know more than u and i say he would make a good defensive back in football..Hopson is better on offense than Goins and Hopson is completely lost on defense..I think it was against Belmont..Hopson was at the top of the key looking for his man who was shooting a lay up..I think McRae blocked the layup..I do think Martin will make a better defender and rebounder of Hopson if he returns or he won't be on the floor...Melvin Goins was my favorite player on this team because he was tough and I never saw him back down..I saw him get beat as all players do but I saw no reason for anyone to question his heart and/or toughness.

samvol writes:

in response to muddogUT:

Should have keep Pearl.

that was not an option.

67classut writes:

My observations of Hopson and Harris: Harris, potentially a good NBA player once he develops some shooting skill. Hopson doesn't even start at UT on my team, let alone the NBA.

crappieking writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

STUPID

I agree. It's also "kept" not "keep".

RunningWithTheVols writes:

in response to Outdated:

I never understood Pearl's having Goins guard quicker PG's 40 feet from the basket as they continually drove past him for layups, e.g. the UCONN game I think it was. Hopson is a showboater and soft. Harris needs more development (an outside shot for instance)- why rush to the NBA when you are not even dominating in the SEC?

I think Pearl's fatal flaw was not recruiting hard-nosed competitors like those he inherited: Bradshaw, Lofton, JaJaun Smith, for example.

Instead he recruited alot of "great potential" guys that repaid his faith in them with lousy off-court decisions and-or lousy effort: Brian Williams, Tyler Smith, Swiper Boy, Hopson, Crews, Ramar Smith, et al.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to RunningWithTheVols:

Probably because he has to compete with Kentucky and Florida year in and year out, and while he dominated Billy D (although Buzz even had a good record against him), he couldn't beat Kentucky with either type of player.

SmokeyWazHere writes:

in response to BobKesling_is_overpaid:

Hopson's trying out for the WNBA right?

Hopson contributed more to UT then you ever will goofy.

TennVol01 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

NBA scouts have Harris ranked way above Hopson. Hopson's worth fell drastically in his junior year. He needs to come back and prove himself to be NBA caliber (which he is not right now). Harris too was hot and cold and not consistent enough and could use one more year to show NBA scouts how good he can really be.

volsunited writes:

Wow people actually liked "back it out" melvin goins. Goodness he was horrible on offense. defense wasnt our problem it was that only 2 people scored all our points because a lot of the guys needed a point guard to set them up. Next year will be interesting nonetheless and Sec east is gonna be murders row again.

vet4ut writes:

in response to al2476:

Please name the last school that received NCAA penalties because of something the AD was alledged to have done.
You can wish in one hand and %$#& in the other. Then see which one fills up faster.
The CONSTANT moaning for something that isn't going to happen makes you sound like a menstrating teenager.

hueypilot writes:

A couple of things. Most times Hopson was required to "create" his own shot. It called for ball skills on the dribble drive that Hopson didn't posess. Lost the ball on the dribble lots of times in traffic. That traffic created because everyone knew he was going to try to drive to the basket.

I saw little screening for Hopson or Harris for that matter, seemed everything was off the dribble drive. Thus opponents would stop that with a double team late, and Hopson would have to (wisely, I think) give up the ball and Goins would have no choice but to heave up a prayer at the horn.

If Bruce is such a great coach I still go back to the game LAST YEAR against Michigan St. when he kept rebounders on the line while Hopson shot. Even if SH made both we still had to defend against a tying bucket, which we didn't do costing us a trip the final four. I saw several teams employ just that tactic this year, holding to a lead late, and deploying the defense, eschewing the unlikely offensive rebound off a missed free throw in favor of setting up the defense for the other team's last offensive posession.

I loved Bruce, but Bradshaw, Lofton, Prince, Chism, and for a couple of games up East this year, Hopson bailed him with great performances. Bruce was a good coach, and a great showman, but, my opinion, fell short of greatness

vet4ut writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

I've previously stated you're not an idiot but now I'm beginning to wonder about your sanity.
1) Zo isn't lowering expectations. He was being realistic when asked a straightforward question. If Tobias and Hopson leave and we don't land some much needed recruiting help, we won't be good. If we do keep Tobias and/or Hopson and we recruit well, there's no reason we can't be good.
2) Nat'l LOI releases CANNOT be given with stipulations. They are NOT the same as releasing a player from their scholarship. You are on record as stating you agreed with them being released. END OF DISCUSSION.
3) Please name the players that Brad Stevens has recruited over the past 4 years. You were slurping his jock sweat during the entire tourney. So, you must like his players. Mack came from Lexington. You think KY or Louisville offered him? Vanzant came out of Tampa. Did UF, FSU, or GA offer him? The other 3 starters came out of Indiana. Did UM, Mich St, ND, Ohio St, Illinois, etc offer them?

People that complain about this phooey without putting any thought into it make themselves look silly.

SIMSVOL writes:

orangepeel and other idiots on here continuing with their ignorant claims for Hamilton's demise. Wake up dumb a@#$%es and see all the great things Hamilton has done for Tennessee. You probably voted for Obama too, right? Your Ignorance is bliss, right orangepeel.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

EVERYONE????? Come now, Come now....good counselors say those type of words are called "escalators"....You didn't mean to inflame anyone now did you??? But I do love your post...."She makes me.......laugh"...%"How do you solve a problem like CantStandSaban???? How do you catch a cloud and pin it down...dada dada% and so on and so on...

6futurevols writes:

in response to orangepeel:

I think Hamilton is getting way too much blame for recent problems. I think that the majority of people realized that it was time for Fulmer to go with the football program trending down, while other SEC programs were trending up. Our future outlook was gloomy at best, regardless of Fulmer’s past success. So, he let Fulmer go, which made Fulmer supporters upset, but probably pleased the majority of fans. Unfortunately, the Fulmer supporters never let go of that event and continue to blame Hamilton. Hamilton then hired the anti-Fulmer in Kiffin. Kiffin was a cocky jerk, but he was “our cocky jerk”. I didn’t like his arrogance, but I did like his bold attitude and recruiting. Apparently most UT fans liked him as our coach, or there would not have been such an outcry when he left for USC. Kiffin’s departure was sudden and unexpected. The only thing that Hamilton can be blamed for was that the buy-out clause was not favorable to UT. Hamilton then went after the big name coaches (Muschamp, Petersen at BSU, and Patterson at TCU), but none of them were interested – understandably so given the state of our program at the time and the timing of the hire. I think he made a good hire in Dooley, who was very similar to Muschamp, but did not have the same name recognition, but only time will tell. That brings us to Bruce Pearl, who put Hamilton in a terrible predicament. If Hamilton fired Bruce in September, as many are now claiming should have happened, then Hamilton would be blamed for ruining the season and running off a great coach. By waiting until the end of the season, and also after discovering additional problems (e.g, bump, UK tickets, and Brian Williams back “injury”), Hamilton is criticized for waiting too long. Did Hamilton have any good options on handling Pearl? I was hoping that Pearl could stay, which is what Hamilton apparently wanted as well, but recent discoveries made that option nearly impossible. I think that Cuonzo Martin is also a good hire given our current predicament with the NCAA sanctions. We are not a premier basketball school. We have never been to a Final Four and men’s basketball is second tier to football and probably even our Lady Vols. Bruce was great, but he did himself in. Try directing some of your venom in his direction. Hamilton has made mistakes…Fulmer’s contract extension and buy-out clause, lack of a buy-out clause for Kiffin, and hiring Todd Raleigh. I don’t think that firing Fulmer, hiring Kiffin, hiring Pearl, firing Pearl or hiring Martin were mistakes. In fact, they appear to be good decisions given the circumstances in which they occurred.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

Hopson will not make it in the NBA - he doesn't have the skill or the toughness to play 82 games a year. Right now, he couldn't even make it on the cavaliers or timberwolves rosters.

vet4ut writes:

in response to wallandhiker:

Well, there certainly is a difference between agreeing with someone being in a position of power and crying about it in 4 different online columns everyday...

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to vet4ut:

1. You don't say things like "we'll win fewer games if so and so doesn't come back", you say "We'll have to find a different way to win these games." You should never set expectations up to NOT WIN, and that's what his statement does.

2. The whole LOI situation has been handled poorly, they deserved to be met with, and they weren't, he's going this week, but it may still be too late.

3. I like Brad Stevens, but I'm not as big a fan as you're painting me to believe. Brad Stevens doesn't have to recruit high level people to win his league, he just has to win it, then coach the guys up for the tournament. The same would be said for Smart or Byrd, with Smart playing in the toughest conference. He doesn't have to recruit guys to beat Florida, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, et al. He has to recruit guys who can beat Cleveland State, Detroit Mercy, Wright Statem, Youngstown St. , et al. There IS a difference.

AHoffman writes:

in response to vet4ut:

Who or what is Zo?

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to AF1A4:

If Ohio State (basketball) and Alabama (football) can win on probation, why can't we?

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to kantanuuv:

"The success level we have depends on how many games we win."

Hold on while I get a pen...

Akin to "9-1-1? Hold on let me write that down...nine....one....."

GreeneVol writes:

I like 'Zo's straight-talk demeanor. I'm sure Hopson and Harris camps will as well. I'd really like to be a fly on the wall when he tells (or told) them each what he thinks of their impending decisions.

I for one would appreciate another year of Scotty Hopson. And his game would benefit greatly from a dose of tough-love and discipline that Coach Martin seems to be known for.

I think that having Hopson and Harris back next year would be the best thing that could happen to this program. But if not, so be it. Looking forward to what the new staff does with what we have and who they can bring in.

bernie writes:

Tried reading most of this post, but it wears me out. The point is, neither Hopson or Harris are ready for the pros. Hopson is not good enough (his hype and ego need to be taken down a notch) and Harris is still a baby and needs to mature. For their sake, I hope they continue with their college career.

vet4ut writes:

in response to AHoffman:

Who or what is Zo?

Cuonzo Martin. I like to call him Zo.

vet4ut writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Your argument quickly loses credibility when you compare UT bball to Bama football and OSU bball in terms of recent success.
What exactly were the terms of their probation? What players returned or were allowed to be recruited during the probation. You can't make an analogy of apples and watermelons and call them the same.