A secret no more: Fulmer confirms Manning twins

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, right, and his wife Ashley walk through the Booksellers Area as they arrive for the State Dinner in honor of Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip, Monday, May 7, 2007, at the White House in Washington.

Photo by Haraz N. Ghanbari/Associated Press

Former University of Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning and his wife, Ashley, are the parents of twins - a boy and a girl - born March 31 near Indianapolis. They are the first children for the Mannings. According to the website RadarOnline, the couple's son is named Marshall Williams Manning and the daughter is Mosley Thompson Manning.

Former UT coach Phillip Fulmer, who coached Manning, confirmed the news about the Indianapolis Colts star on Friday.

"(Peyton) actually called and told a good friend of ours, and (the friend) was told to tell his other (Knoxville) friends," Fulmer said. "He'll be a great dad, and Ashley will be a great mom.

"They are a tremendous family, period. Archie and Olivia (Manning, who are Peyton's parents) set the tone. They are all just fantastic people. There is no doubt (Peyton and Ashley) will be great parents."

Fulmer was surprised that the Mannings were able to keep the pregnancy a secret for so long.

"(Peyton) wasn't the one (pregnant). I don't know how Ashley was able to (keep it secret)," Fulmer said with a laugh.

He plans to contact Manning soon and the Fulmers also plan to send a baby gift.

As far as fatherly advice is concerned, Fulmer only passed along: "Peyton doesn't need any advice from me. Just enjoy your children every day, and I know that he will."

Manning, 35, also is a new uncle. Younger brother and New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning and his wife, Abby, are brand-new parents of a daughter, Ava Frances Manning, born March 2.

Peyton Manning was the first overall pick of the 1998 NFL draft. He is a record four-time NFL MVP, and Super Bowl winner in 2007.

Off the field, he has been a tireless supporter of UT and Mercy healthcare system in Knoxville, among other charitable projects.

Manning has hosted "Saturday Night Live," been animated on "The Simpsons" and appeared in numerous national commercials.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volsfannsc writes:

Start recruiting Marshall now.

eVOLved writes:

GBO!

govols1234567 writes:

Atta boy Peyton. Ladies and Gentleman, Marshall Manning! UT quarterback of 2029

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

I'm sure the Manning genes have not worn thin enough to produce yet another Quarterback clad in Big Orange.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Congratulations Ashley and Peyton!

Dalton writes:

Hey fraternal twins on the firstgo...not bad Peyton and Ashley...might have your family set...Marshall Manning....good QB name.

LouisVol writes:

I certainly hope Coaches Dooley and Summitt have visited bearing gifts and letters of intent for Marshall and Mosely... Please begin the petition drive now to allow a temporary un-retirement of the number 16 jersey in football.

ctownvol writes:

"Numerous national commercials"? That's certainly an understatement. Congratulations to the Mannings.

atnvol#283282 writes:

I heard about Peyton and wife having twins on a national radio sports program a week ago. I guess our hillbilly media is just now scooping the news.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Manning's 35?!!!!lol Congrats on the twins. Pat S. needs to keep and eye on the daughter too! Don't worry Pat will still be here.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Congrats

allvol87 writes:

I will say "Congratulations!" but with twins even if he read these posts, he won't have time now!

Ga_Dave writes:

Is it too early to get a Letter of Intent signed for football and Lady Vols??????

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

Doesn't Foolmore have anything better to do besides scoop the Manning's baby news? I can hear the Brink's truck backing into his Murville driveway now to unload this month's $150K gift from Hammy. Please just go away...

volsfan74 writes:

in response to govols1234567:

Atta boy Peyton. Ladies and Gentleman, Marshall Manning! UT quarterback of 2029

Yes and in 2 years Peyton and Ashley need to have another son and 18 years from now our QB status could look pretty bright for a while! Even better maybe they can play for their dad at UT Coach Manning!

Momof3boys writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

Actually, it was posted on Volnation.com on the morning of the 31st. So, the "hillbilly media" had the scoop just hours after the birth from a vol fan out of Memphis (most likely some of Ashley's family.)

Einstein writes:

There is our future new QB and our future new center for the Lady Vols.

Etacovda_00 writes:

I can see the Mercy commercials now..... "being a dad is tough... that's why I choose Mercy"....

steph3474 writes:

in response to robbiestewart#492873:

You gotta be kidding! Peyton Manning can quit right now if he wanted to and not ever have to worry about anything, baby diapers included.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

I bet those boys will either not play football or really suck at it...just a guess.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Was Fulmer the mid wife or something?

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Witch Doctor say Fail, cant spell it, cant call it.
Bones never lie.

imw8n4u writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

It's a boy and a girl smarty. Also, I'm sure Peyton won't force his son into playing FB, but if he wants to, he will get all of the support needed to be successful at it. He already has the best genes possible, which is a great head start.

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

DO THEY HAVE A BOY AND A GIRL OR TWO BOYS? SOMEONE HAS GOT TO BE WRONG. COME ON.

Colliervol writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

I don't believe one should be calling anybody "ignorant" when one can't spell it. Are you sure you went to Vanderbilt?

volsfan74 writes:

in response to robbiestewart#492873:

Please tell me this is sarcasm. I think Peyton has made enough money that his Great Grandchildren do not have to work. As far as commercials he is making enough of his Reebok Zigtech endorsement that most could retire comfortably.Also don't forget Ashley does well on her own as a developer at the Honors Country Club in Ooltewah/ Chattanooga area.

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

in response to volsfannsc:

Start recruiting Marshall now.

Marshall a UT Quarterback and Mosley a future Lady Vol!!!! GBO

GeneralNeyland96redux writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say Fail, cant spell it, cant call it.
Bones never lie.

Amen Witchy....but remember...if you say it with the correct Southern accent, it could SOUND like it's spelled "ignernt" or something like that.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say Fail, cant spell it, cant call it.
Bones never lie.

You have to admit he really is "ignarant".....in the worst way.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Definitely shouldn't Collier but they're almost always the ones that do. I think Vandy grads spell it ignarante'.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Was Fulmer the mid wife or something?

LOL, now thats a goodern

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

You have been blessed with twins, a true joy that not all parents ever experience. From a father of twin girls, good luck and God Bless you and your wife and kids.

Wilhelm16 writes:

Awesome! My wife and I are expecting identical twin boys this summer! Future Vols (fingers crossed)

orangeman1 writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

I've heard Fulmer is still close to alot of players like Peyton because of the great respect they have for the greatest coach in most of our lifetimes for UT. I'm not sure why a UT fan doesnt do the same. As far as the money goes. Thats Hamiltons fault. I guess he thought since Fulmer had just tied for the best record in the SEC, he deserved a raise especially considering all the other great years Fulmer gave UT. And Fulmer will never go away , thank the Lord, because he actually loves the university and its past players and will continue to be an important figure for the University of Tennessee.
Oh and congrats to Peyton and his wife. Wonder how much longer it will be till he retires now?

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

Fulmer , just a chance to get his name of shame in .

ncvol17 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

great post. probably the sentiments of the 'silent majority' of fans.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Bring em all to UT! Eli's youngun too!

Go Vols!

clvolfan writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

Yeah! and aren't you just so glad that CPF announced it,and that he barely can afford to send a gift..HA!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

Why don't you follow your own instructions and just go away.There are many that still like Fulmer(his name by the way)and there are many that don't. It's a persons right to like or dislike someone,but to show your ignorance is someone's true colors, that's a fact . And no,I do not want Fulmer back.I do like DD and wish him all the best in rebuilding what has been demolished.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Colliervol:

His Vandy lie is no worse than all the other pretend to know everything lies he tells.He knows everyone takes him as a joke,but he is too stupid realize it.

utclassof1992 writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

Keep thinking that. Are you enjoying the NCAA probation to come from Hammy's folly? Looking forward to another Nashville Bowl? Wondering how we are going to go 2 deep on the D and O lines this year with actual DI talent? This is some great change for the better. We got tired of winning an average of 8 games a year and decided for 6-6 instead because it is hotter and sexier. Enjoy the change you asked for.

kantanuuv writes:

Top 10 Philip Fulmer Announcements...

10. "Florida cannot score 100 points on us. Their scoreboard only has 2 digits."

9. "Peyton Manning will win the Heisman."

8. "My outfit? By Omar the Tentmaker."

7. "My best player for 10 years in a row was a punter."

6. "Since I don't call the plays, I'll be over by the hot dog stand if you need me."

5. "I never go to the hospital. I'm afraid my assistant coach will get me fired."

4. "It's no wonder we attract criminals to our program. Have you ever listed to that Rocky Top song?"

3. "Geno Auriemma's hairline alone is worth 10 wins a season."

2. "That's not Erik Ainge's mullet. He's being attacked by a raccoon."

1. "I love wearing orange. Low-flying aircraft almost never crash into me."

boonhower writes:

My wife has just told me that the name we had picked out for the baby girl coming in August is no longer suitable. It is now "Future Mrs. Marshall Manning."

theoldbear writes:

There has always been a healthy sense of competition between the Manning brothers.

Remember the Oreo commercials?

Well, you just had to know that Peyton would find a way to one up Eli!

Congratulations to the classiest family in the sports world today!

therev writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

go play in traffic troll

stormblast writes:

Congratulations, Cheers Mannings.

OldRedneck writes:

Pictures!!! Pictures!!!! And they had better be dressed in ORANGE!!!!

bretticus25#294810 writes:

Creepy. That's the only word I can describe it when someone conceals their pregnancy. The guy is a star. He has fans. I understand privacy, but seriously. Who really keeps their pregnancy a secret? It's not like TomKat....

EMBuckles writes:

in response to cdtnladyvols931#663910:

Marshall a UT Quarterback and Mosley a future Lady Vol!!!! GBO

You know, the way things are going these days, maybe women will be playing football along with the guys in 18 years. Maybe one will be the starter and the other be the back up! ;> Or maybe the sister will be a ferocious, head hunting, bull necked LINEBACKER!! Ha, ha! ;>

Brillovol writes:

in response to PrideOfTheSouthlandBanned:

Where's the like button? In lieu of that, well said Pride.