Cuonzo Martin yet to see Scotty Hopson at a practice

UT junior going through NBA-intended skill work

Tennessee guard Scotty Hopson shoots a layup in the game against Florida during the second round of the SEC Tournament at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga., Friday, March 11, 2011.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee men's basketball coach Cuonzo Martin has yet to see junior All-SEC shooting guard Scotty Hopson at a practice, but he has been in communication with him.

"I text him quite a bit and call often," Martin said Tuesday. "He's traveling a lot of places doing skill work."

Hopson, along with UT freshman Tobias Harris, is expected to test the NBA draft waters.

"I'm still exploring my options,'' Hopson sent via text to the News Sentinel on Tuesday.

The Vols are in their second week of individual workouts with Martin and his staff.

Harris, a Freshman All-American power forward, has attended all of the workouts.

Harris and Hopson will get evaluations on their draft stock before deciding by May 7 if they will return for another season at UT.

The players are eligible to return if they do not sign with agents.

UT has nine players on scholarship, counting Hopson and Harris.

Martin said the Vols won't have 13 scholarship players at the end of the spring signing period regardless of the status of Hopson and Harris.

The spring national signing period starts Wednesday and runs through May 18.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Twelvethirtyone writes:

I am no expert, but it seems to be Tobias is leaning toward coming back and Scotty is leaning towards going pro... I just hope it doesn't turn out for him like it did for Dennis Rogan. Go Vols!

voloffaith writes:

Interpret the comment regardless of T & S returning," we won't have 13 scholarship players at end of spring signing."

CoverOrange writes:

in response to voloffaith:

i.e., less than 4 signees are in the bag at this moment.

BillyVol writes:

Hmmm, Hopson did not show up for a lot of games this year, but when he did, he played his heart out.

springtx_vol writes:

My guess is that he is gone if he is not on campus going to class. My opinion is that he had better learn to play with 100% intensity 100% of the time. If he can do that, he will do fine in the NBA. There is probably some team out there that needs a 3 (position, not shot) that has the potential to make a play.

VOLsince68 writes:

Does he not have classes??

I agree with some of you that I would love to see him come back to help this team, but I would rather see Tobias come back if we can only have one of them. Scotty needs to grow up. He would help his cause greatly by one more year in college.

He has so much potential, but he just don't seem to want to bring it for 40 minutes. To me, that alone would be a deterent for the NBA guys; not to mention he plays no defense at all.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Great post.

tmartin writes:

What a coincidence. . . We rarely saw him at a game last year either.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

i.e., less than 4 signees are in the bag at this moment.

Even if Harris and Hopson both go he shouldn't take six players, just because in theory that means in four years he's got to replace six seniors, and we need a consistant flow to roster replacement, not big chunks. Signing four, one of which being a JuCo players would be the smartest route, we've got two point guards, we need at least one big man in the bunch, then use the fourth to pick up anything other than a point guard. If Harris comes back we can have a strong team regardless of what happens with Jones, although Martins' going to have to recruit on a much higher level for the next year and go after players whose other options don't end in Dakota.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to Makeing_The_Call:

I believe you said the same thing about Rondo and Arian Foster. Good Job.

kevin151 writes:

Scotty Hopson playing in the NBA is a joke. I wouldn't draft him if he played for free!

VolzsFan writes:

Scotty was all sec and has scored 1,305 in his career. He has averaged almost 13 for a career. If he comes back and averages the same as last year at 17 for 35 games, he will finish as the 7th leading scorer in Tenn basketball history. Most of you could not get 13 in a season of church league.

Good luck Scotty. These fools never appreciate anything. Ask Arian Foster and many others.

VolzsFan writes:

Of course these internet coaches all know more than the basketball folks that put you on the select team. More than the mock drafts. More than the teams that are working you out right now. They are also the same clowns that laughed at the selection of Rondo and others. Fools will be fools. Good luck Scotty.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to kevin151:

I don't know about that kevin. There are a lot of Scotty Hopson's playing in the NBA right now...it's why the product is so bad and almost unwatchable. So if he goes after his piece of the pie, someone might pay him for it.

FearlessFreep writes:

Agree with the comments here:
a) Scotty's probably not going to class and is thus gone
b) He has no business being in the NBA and should polish up on his Turkish
c) Was absent from many of UT's games this past season as well.

VOLDoll writes:

Scotty you owe it yourself to finally play for a real coach. God only knows that playing for Bruce Pearl never developed your game.

69grad writes:

If Scotty Hopson can make in the pros, I may try out. I'm only 5'11" and 64 years old, but I can hit threes all day long. Good luck, Scotty.

Plus, I can guard.

Outdated writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

No Vol fans like to think one of their players does not give a good effort..Lack of defense, lack of focus, pouting when you make a bad play, hanging your head and loafing down the floor while the other team is shooting a lay up, ..letting other players itimidate you physically...Am I telling you something you have not seen?

VOLDoll writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Actually Scottys time is now. He had the misfortune of playing for a coach that had no business coaching at the division 1 level.
I am sure that Scotty and his family are thrilled to death to be rid of the turmoil king that was Bruce Pearl.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Any thing can be accomplished if you cheat. The problem with that is it always comes back to haunt you. Thank you Bruce Pearl for putting UT on probation. Awww! My hero

thevoice writes:

Hope these guys learn to speak Turkish ASAP.

VOL1972 writes:

I don't think you have figured it out yet. VOLDoll is an idiot. She thinks she knows something because she has watched some games

I think it would help both Hopson and Harris to play another year (one without all the drama), but it looks to me like Scotty has made his decision and Tobias is keeping his options open.

Whatever they do, I wish them the best.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

I bet the team you pulled for "got that tail kicked" by CBP enough that you really do hate....remember...hatred in sports is a form of flattery....

charlyand#601962 writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Why are so many of you down on Scotty? I must have been watching a different team, because it seemed to me most of the time, that we would have had no scoring at all without Scotty. Some of his moves to the basket were fantastic!! Good luck, Scotty. I'd go to the NBA and show these clowns how to play basketball.

charlyand#601962 writes:

I am so afraid Coach Martin will be another Stallings and I'd rather watch paint dry than watch him or his teams.

FeelVol writes:

I'm thinking Hopson doesn't really want to be at UT or under our new staff.If he's coachable I think he would definitely benefit by coming back.Harris has been at all the practices',just wondering.

OldVols68 writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

Could care less if none of the players come back....UT sports is in the toilet now anyway. We have never been to a final 4 in men's basketball; the football team.....ahhhh, what's the use....

hallsguy writes:

Scotty has some talent but not consistent talent. His drives up the lane will be met with a lot more force and resistance in the NBA and he had trouble driving against the physical teams.He doesn't play full speed the whole time he is in and really never knew what defense was.
He would do best with another year of college to toughen him up or he will be playing in Italy or Turkey if he is lucky.

1vavolfan writes:

Love Scotty and hate how critical everyone is of him but I dont know what he is doing. All of the "experts" have him listed in the mid to late second round which means no guaranteed money and probably playing in Europe. My guess is that he is somewhat embarrassed that he was supposed to be a one and done and in year 3 still isn't a 1st rounder. He will act like he is seriously considering going pro when in fact he knows that he has little chance. He will announce right before the deadline that he is staying and everyone will think that he was really close to leaving for the NBA.

VolNExile writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Hunh, where'd VolDoll go?

Anyway, I'd like to see Scotty come back, but who knows, his chances in the draft might be better if other prospects hold back out of worry about whether there'll be an NBA season to even play in.

At any rate, I have faith in the ability of CCM and his staff to develop what's here and what they bring in. I'm not expecting an overnight turnaround, but I think the program is headed in the right direction, and we're going to have teams that we can brag on.

GBO

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Witch Doctor say you probably right on it. Witch Doctor say we all guessing but I REALLY think he wanted to go this year but it was evident the team quit the last couple months probably knowing what was happening. Witch Doctor REALLY hopes one or both stays but believes Harris is gone...just a guess but Witch Doctor read and hear N.O. likes Harris a lot.
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Witch Doctor say Fulmer let them drive around in Neill- Sandler ford explorers.
Bones never lie.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

IMHO ...We need Scotty and Harris next year. we could build an excellent team around them with one really good big or power forward.

muddogUT writes:

I wish Bruce Pearl was still the coach !

theoldbear writes:

I've posted about Hopson and Harris before, and will again, I suspect.

I never played NCAA or NBA, but I played against pros and a couple of Hall of Famers.

My son played with Othello Harrington and against Alan Houston.

I've coached basketball (five league championships) and my son is an assistant at the high school level now.

We have been regulars at the closest NBA franchise to us since it was born.

Scotty Hopson cannot make it in the NBA. Tobias Harris can. Neither one is draft ready.

With time and development, Scotty Hopson might be the next Scotty Pippen, but he has shown no development over the last three years to indicate he will ever achieve his potential. Poor work ethic for one thing.

Tobias Harris some nights reminds me of a bigger Dale Ellis. He has the body, the skills, and the basketball mind to play at the next level.

Another year of NCAA ball, under UT's new staff, would benefit them greatly.

NBA athletes are the best conditioned, most versatile, of all pro sports. They are incredibly strong. And the defense at that level is so intense you cannot believe it.

This is where Hopson and Harris need to improve.

TennVol01 writes:

Hopson is not in town, so he cannot be attending class ... therefore he should be disqualified as a player/student athlete. Any other student that is on the team would be punished for not attending classes. The Coach should not put up with Hopson's arrogance. Use Hopson's scholarship for a player that will for sure be attending UT next year.

Oh wait ... I forgot. It is not about fairness ... it is only about winning.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Hello moron! Obviously I was excited about how the team was playing. But then my husband and his friends pointed out to me that Pearl and his coaches were not coaching. They were letting the kids run wild on the court (as well as off the court) and after watching teams that had no business being on the same court with us kicking our aszes I too realized just how bad a coach he really is. Then we would hang out at football games with boosters who kept telling us that Pearl was dirtier than Calipari ever thought about being. But because I was smart enough to realize he sucked and you were not you belittle me.
Get over it moron, your lying, cheating, hypocrite of a coach is gone. Why dont you follow him back to division 2 with the rest of the men that are so infatuated with Pearl.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to theoldbear:

I've posted about Hopson and Harris before, and will again, I suspect.

My son played with Othello Harrington and against Alan Houston.

We have been regulars at the closest NBA franchise to us since it was born.

Another year of NCAA ball, under UT's new staff, would benefit them greatly.

This is where Hopson and Harris need to improve.

Witch Doctor think you draw wrong conclusions with posting your "opinion" BUT Witch Doctor always notice oldbears observations are pretty much spot on more than not.(even if W_D not agree with all the time)
Bones never lie.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

I appreciate you taking the time to show VOLDOLL's hypocrisy. She like so many others on here tend to forget many things they have posted. I appreciate the fact that Coach Pearl finally put Tennessee Basketball back on the map. I hated to see his era end the way it did, but one can't deny he did more good than bad for the sport here in Big Orange Country. Now, it is time for us to look forward and stand behind the new Coach we have. I wish Hopson and Harris the best, whatever their decision is. I hope they both stay, think it would be best for them myself. But hey, it dont take but one bad blow to a knee and all chances of going pro is gone.

crockett1836 writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

plenty of experts selling stocks, fixing cars, and predicting the weather.

mlynn1 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

I believe you are mentally challenged, so just shut up and go away. Let me clue you in, no one cares what you think. My 9 year old grandson has forgot more basketball than you know.

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

Scotty Hopson will be a lottery pick............
In the Rocky Top League!

Sorry, just joking. I wish him the best in whatever he decides. He has been a solid player who has improved every year and has represented the University well and never been in any trouble. I will root for him where ever he plays

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to muddogUT:

I wish Bruce Pearl was still the coach !

I dont
GO VOLS !!!

Exfix writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Excellent post.

NCVOL09 writes:

When I was interviewing for jobs, I gave my all to the job hunt, why is what Scotty Hop doing any different. Good for him for taking the time and giving his all and determining what is best for him and his career. He has made arrangements with his teachers to miss class this semester and still get all his credits and stay eligibile (just like Eric Berry did, just like Peyton did, and just like all those players going pro in bball and football before him). If he comes back I will cheer for him as I have for years, he is athletic is hell, can jump through the roof, and if had anyone else on the team that could consistently score from the wing wouldn't be double teamed all game. If he goes pro I will cheer for him to do well in the League.

NCVOL09 writes:

in response to Exfix:

Excellent post.

Or he knows that no matter what he is given one free year without signing with an agent that he can get an honest evaluation and find out what he needs to work on. Why not take the free evaluation knowing he is going pro next year regardless.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

If Scotty is smart he will get as far away from this program as he can and take Harris with him cause this coach aint got a clue!!!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to BigOrangeSmoker:

Witch Doctor forget which one you are Gribble or Strange?
Bones never lie.

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to goodbad:

your joking right ? How is CCM as bad as Pearl?You must of just read the headline and nothing else.It said TH has been at all the workouts.
He is letting these 2 make their own minds up as he should.Hopson will either come back to Tn or he can go play for the Turkeys.Its that simple.But to dog CCM is just ignorant on your part.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to TennVol01:

Oh wait ... I forgot. It is not about fairness ... it is only about winning.

It can't be about winning.If it were,CCM would go after some winning type players.Just look at whom he is trying to recruit.Two and three star players that are not being considered elsewhere except as an afterthought.Tennessee Basketball is going to be graveyard dead soon.Thank you Hamilton.By the way Hamilton,when you fire our funk baseball coach,be sure you check out the coach at Mothers Of The Poor university.They have a coach that is looking for a break to a major university.You can get him cheap, he becomes an instant rich dude,get paid a few million to be fired and will be greatful as hill.Pay him 10 times what he making now and when you fire him in three years he will have been paid what he would have been paid for 30 years at his current job.Now that is what I would call being a very good A.D.