Mike Strange and Mickey Dearstone to guest coach the Orange and White game
- Derek Dooley comments after practice
- Prentiss Waggner comments after practice - April 12, 2011
- Mike Strange and Mickey Dearstone to guest coach the Orange and White game
- Willie Bohannon comments after practice - April 12, 2011
- Shane Reveiz comments after practice - April 12, 2011
- Highlights from the Vols' spring football practice - April 12, 2011
Tennessee’s football team obviously has had a good spring. Coach Derek Dooley apparently feels so confident about his team’s progress, he’s willing to entrust it to inexperienced coaches for Saturday’s spring game.
News Sentinel sports columnist Mike Strange and Sports Animal talk-show host Mickey Dearstone have been selected as coaches for the annual Orange and White Game. Both have coaching experience, but not in football.
Dearstone, who is the voice of Lady Vols basketball, was the Tusculum College baseball coach for two years. Strange was a basketball coach for the Kentucky Wesleyan Purple and White game.
"We got News Sentinel versus talk radio part 2 here," Dooley said. "I'm convinced there's a good football coach on the News Sentinel staff. So we're going to keep searching for them.
"Talk radio put it to them last year. We'll see. We got Mickey and Mike, so that will be a good fun matchup. I'm not sure what their strengths are or what their philosophies are for the game, but we'll shape that during the course of the week."
This isn’t the first time Dooley has thought outside the box for the spring game. News Sentinel sports columnist John Adams and Sports Animal talk-show host Jimmy Hyams were the coaches for last year’s spring game, which was won by Hyams’ White team.