Steve Forbes named coach at Florida junior college

Tennessee assistant coach Tony Jones, center, restrains head coach Bruce Pearl, left, after UT was charged with a technical foul last season, while assistant Steve Forbes glares at the officials.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Former Tennessee assistant coach Steve Forbes is back in business as the new coach at Northwest Florida State College, a Division I junior college in Niceville, Fla., near Fort Walton Beach.

"I'm excited to be a head coach at one of premier junior college programs in the country,'' said Forbes, who accepted the job Tuesday and will go under contract at the Florida school on Aug. 1. "We have a brand-new, $31 million arena that opened in January, and a beautiful campus in a great place to live.''

Forbes, who was fired along with the rest of Bruce Pearl's staff on March 21 in the wake of an NCAA investigation into recruiting improprieties, will be compensated by UT through July 31.

"I have nothing but fond memories at Tennessee from five straight NCAA tournaments, three Sweet 16s and an Elite Eight,'' said Forbes, who left Texas A&M to join the UT staff after Pearl's first season with the Vols.

Forbes who was last a head coach from 1995-98 at Barton County (Kan.) Community College, where he was 68-28, said he wishes he could have gotten the job in Florida under better circumstances.

"Bruce Stewart has been the long-time head coach here, and he's fallen ill,'' Forbes said, referring to Stewart's brain tumor. "I have a lot of respect for him and what he accomplished here, and he's a great man and someone we're praying for to get healthy.''

Stewart coached at Middle Tennessee State 1985-91, leading the Blue Raiders to the NCAA tournament three times.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

FWBVol writes:

I live in Fort Walton Beach and hope to get to see the Northwest Florida State College Raiders coached by Steve Forbes play next year.

The facility at NWF State is state of the art and might be the finest junior college gym in the country.

VOLDoll writes:

LOL! I am not suprised. Anybody that watched one of Pearls teams play realized that none of the coaches had a clue how to coach at the division 1 level. How soon before Pearl joins him?

MidTennVol writes:

Coach Forbes, hearty congrats to you and your family. So glad you landed on your feet so quickly. Please know that many of us wish you were still wearing orange. What you guys did for this program will never be forgotten.

We'll follow your career with great interest.

37803Vol writes:

I whole heartedly agree with all the positive comments above. Best wishes to Coach Forbes!

voloffaith writes:

in response to 37803Vol:

Oops you missed the midnight cow/boy/girl at 344am and the diva of our sight this morning with back-o-back negatives. Wait my bad ! You said you agree with the positive comments above.

On topic,live and learn and oh yes......forgive!

8ball writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Voldoll is shen from ala( i new something was funny about him likes to dress as woman so he can feel football players in tight jeans )

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

Me too. That's where I started my college while stationed at Hurlburt Field. GBO

RoadTrip writes:

I think Coach Forbes has done quite well for himself and family. Nice community and area of the country. This past year has probably taught him many lessons. There is much more to life than living on the big stage where everybody criticizes every move you make regardless of how right or wrong they are; while having no skin in the game themselves.

Which is why I think trolls are slimeballs that should slink off to the mudpits they came from.

easleychuck writes:

Good luck, Coach Forbes.

I see that the little trolls still gotta hate. That makes them, if nothing else, predictible.

Show of hands...how many UT fans post babbling comments in other out-of-town newspaper threads that cover the hometown SEC team. Exactly. Nobody with a life.

Tru138 writes:

I thought Will Muschamp was the coach at Florida junior college.

FWBVol writes:

What they fail to mention in the story is the pay is $60,000 a year, same as the college's instructors. If I remember correctly too, Bruce Stewart also taught a couple of health/PE classes so that will probably be part of the deal for Forbes too.

mlynn1 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Can't let it go can you. You do realize how you look with all the hate and smart _ss remarks don't you? Someone once said, when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

CoverOrange writes:

Was it Forbes or Shay that was the only asst not to attend the BBQ in question?

Is $31M more or less than what Auburn spent on their arena?

Brac_Jack writes:

I live in Freeport, Florida and will be there to support you coach. Congrats and good luck! Go Vols!

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Wasnt you a Pearl lover up until what Jan ? I bet a person can go back and find posts to where you was a Pearl loyalist.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Skank.

harveyupdyketreehugger writes:

Congratulations Coach Forbes and all the best. Your point guard next year may be Chris Jones.

stormblast writes:

in response to Tru138:

I thought Will Muschamp was the coach at Florida junior college.

Good one.