Cuonzo Martin says Wes Washpun 'knows how to run a team'

Wes Washpun

Wes Washpun

Player, Position, Ht./Wt., School/Town

Chris Jones, G, 5-10/180, Various/Memphis

Wes Washpun, PG, 6-1, 170, Washington High/Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Cuonzo Martin has a lot of teaching to do in his first year as coach of the Tennessee men's basketball program, and that's one reason why he's excited about signing point guard Wes Washpun.

“He's a student of the game and someone who plays with great competitiveness,'' Martin said in a statement released by UT on Thursday morning. “I'm excited about what Wes can bring to the program.

“He's a quick, athletic guard who knows how to run a team.''

Washpun, 6-foot-1 and 170 pounds, is from Washington High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He signed with the Vols on Wednesday, but Martin wasn't able to comment on his signing until after UT processed his paperwork Thursday morning.

Washpun earned first-team Class 4A all-state honors, averaging 18 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 3.7 steals and 2.1 blocked shots per game. His 92 steals in 26 games this season represented a new school record.

The spring signing period began Wednesday and runs through May 18.

The Vols have one other signee in the Class of 2011, guard Chris Jones of Melrose High School in Memphis. Jones is a 5-10 guard ranked 39th nationally by Rivals.com.

UT has also offered a scholarship to Josh Richardson, a 6-5 combo guard out of Santa Fe High in Edmond, Okla., who is Rivals' No. 121 overall player. Richardson is expected to make an official visit to UT Friday and Saturday.

The Vols are still recruiting one-time signee Kevin Ware, of Rockdale County High in Conyers, Ga. Ware, a 6-5 wing ranked No. 56 nationally by Rivals, is tentatively scheduled to visit UT on Sunday.

According to a story on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution website, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Louisville, Georgetown and UCLA all have interest in signing Ware and may visit him.

“We may have to go up there on an unofficial visit,'' Ware's father, Wesley Junior, said on the ajc.com website. “If meeting coach Martin in Tennessee is something that Kevin wants to do, then we'll make the ride there so he can get a good feel for everything.''

UT freshman wing Jordan McRae, a former AAU teammate with Ware, said he has called his good friend to encourage him to play for the Vols.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

kyvol98 writes:

Cunzo Martin? Cuonzo's brother maybe?

VictorKruger writes:

in response to kyvol98:

Cunzo Martin? Cuonzo's brother maybe?

I expect misspellings like that from a fan base that likes to write about "Payton," "Hobson," "Kiffen" and "Loften," but not from the KNS writers!

PS It's going to take me months to stop writing "Washburn" when I mean "Washpun."

C74Law77 writes:

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen.

What a get..Stole him right out from under the noses of North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State and Missouri State. Way to go Coach Houston!! Oops..Martin

abnermc writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen.

Jealousy nags doesn't it

springtx_vol writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen.

With comments like this, most of us wish you would read and not type along with listening and hanging up.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen.

Witch Doctor say since you have posted the same post 3 times this morning..
Hang-up and listen.
Bones never lie.

CoverOrange writes:

From my understanding, Washpun's low rating is from his poor shooting. CM is recruiting for the uncommon: intelligence and a defensive mind set. Shooting he can teach and develop. We'll see.

Prostar writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen.

And you have how many years experience in coaching and evaluating talent? Thanks to the previous regime, we now get to restructure and rebuild. Have a little faith.

C74Law77 writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

With all this wild euphoria over a Coach from Missouri State and a kid nobody wanted, one has to seriously wonder about our fan base..A group that undoubtedly still believes that Adam and Eve were real people!!

Go Vols..I'll just hangup and listen

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

I realize this wasn't the focal point of the article, but what about the fact that we still have a chance to get Ware back? That would be really awesome! And this team NEEDS a leader ON the court; that really was a thorn in the Vols' side this last season.

PattheFlaVol writes:

"Wes knows how to run a team?...well, they thought I could run this nation"
Sincerely,
Barack Hussein Obama

tennrich1 writes:

Go Vols..I'll just hangup and listen

Now we gotta admit...this guy is funny and good for a much needed laugh this morning....The Adam and Eve comment should explain a lot shouldn't it??????

CoverOrange writes:

Go Vols..I'll just hangup and listen

If you are trying to convert us to your particular lack of faith, you are doing a poor job. Back in the early 80s Duke hired a little known coach from Army. I think that worked out for them. Can't do anything other than wait and see, so might as well.

STstatefarmVOLS writes:

Go Vols..I'll just hangup and listen

ONE WORD - IGNORANT

KnoxRugger writes:

And Bruce Pearl was a nobody coming in to UT and nobody had any expectations for him either. I'm all for CM.

SummittsCourt writes:

"Martin can not make an in-home visit to Ware because the Vols have used up their NCAA-allotted three off-campus contacts."

Could Martin have him over for a BBQ?

Sorry, could not resist :)

C74Law77 writes:

in response to STstatefarmVOLS:

ONE WORD - IGNORANT

Thanks for your kind word, and please give my warmest regards to your other brother Darryl

Go Vols..I'll just hangup and listen

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to KnoxRugger:

You need to compare the previous coaching history of both men before coming to UT. What Coach Pearl are you talking about?? Just look at the facts and you will see your error.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

Go Vols..I'll just hangup and listen

Be careful, sometimes the truth hurts too much to speak.

volinlouisiana writes:

Go Vols..I'll just hangup and listen

I suppose you believe that the world just exploded out of nothing, you evolved from pri-mordial gue, then a cingle selled organism, then a fish, then a monkey, finally a human? I suppose you think that all thought and feelings are just the result of chemical reactions bouncing around in your skull and Hitler was wrong, because you just don't like his chemical reactions as opposed to yours. Well, I have an easier time believing that Adam and Eve were real people. I guess I just don't have the faith to believe the alternative.

VOLtage writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen.

I know this hurts your agenda but add these to your list Boston College, Clemson, Iowa and Nebraska

vet4ut writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Really? You are this easy? Some person with 100% anonymity says something they KNOW will be inflammatory and your response is to turn an article about a PG signing to play on our bball team into a theological discussion.

Good gravy. How about you prove you're right... Or C74 can prove they're right. Oh wait, neither one of you can. But let's have an internet spat anyway.

vet4ut writes:

in response to VOLtage:

I agree. I've always been a big fan of lefty point guards. They always seem to have a little advantage. He will be fine. Maybe not a scorer but a rabid defender and distributor is always good to have.

volinlouisiana writes:

in response to vet4ut:

Oh wait, you just replied to me about something not basketball related. Perhaps your easy, too.

C74Law77 writes:

in response to VOLtage:

VOLtage,

Thanks for the correction. After beating out traditional powerhouses Boston College, Clemson, and Nebraska for this young mans sevices, I am certain, before he is done at UT, he'll relegate Oscar Robertson and Walt Frazier to the footnotes of basketball history. I still wonder how Creighton missed him.

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen

givehim6 writes:

CCM has buit the expectation of the Vol fans up about this kid, hope Mr. Washpun can live up to the hype.

AHoffman writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Please stay in Louisiana.

brod writes:

by now the ncaa has probably made up a rule that you can indeed attend a barbeque at a coach's house. byob only of course. has to be byob.

C74Law77 writes:

in response to AHoffman:

Please stay in Louisiana.

Dear Abbie,

Thanks for mounting the "Ramparts" in the defense of sanity...Myles H.

Go Vols...I'll just hang up and listen

VolGrad writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say since you have posted the same post 3 times this morning..
Hang-up and listen.
Bones never lie.

...and methinks he is pretty good with the first thing, but not so good with the second.

:) Go Vols!

VolGrad writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Too funny. :D

somebodywhoknows writes:

in response to STstatefarmVOLS:

ONE WORD - IGNORANT

IGNORANT A--

vet4ut writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Ok. Fair enough. Since we're critiquing each other. Your does not mean you are. You'll (you will) need to use the word you're...
And instead of showing the wit of a 3rd grader, perhaps focus on spelling?

Or you could be an adult and keep the focus not on religion?

I'll be waiting on your next funny comment. Remember, WWJD?

volinlouisiana writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

So, I got to typing a little fast and didn't proofread. I never proofread message board posts. I don't really care. I did use the french spelling of goo ;). I also turned a single-cell into a cingle-sell, but I don't know if that makes me unintelligent. Believe what you will though
By the way, I'm very excited about Washpun. I read an archived Rivals article from 3/18 that pretty much said the reason he wasn't more sought after was that he was a bit of a late bloomer. His coach says his athleticism is off the charts, that he's really not that bad of a shooter, his defensive intensity is tremendous, and his best basketball is ahead of him. What's not to like about that?

Hoops43 writes:

in response to brod:

BYOB....Bring your own bong??????
Couldn't resist.

volinlouisiana writes:

in response to vet4ut:

And instead of showing the wit of a 3rd grader, perhaps focus on spelling?

Or you could be an adult and keep the focus not on religion?

I'll be waiting on your next funny comment. Remember, WWJD?

I'm sure he would avoid Theological discussion, because that is apparantley the unpardonable sin on this board. In addition, he would certainly be very careful to proofread and not forget any contractions or apostrophes, because that is the other unpardonable sin.

orangepeel writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I will disagree with Martin being able to teach Washpun how to shoot. You can either shoot or you can not shoot. To be a great shooter you need a feel or touch for shooting. Martin may be able to help him identify areas of the court where he shots a higher percentage but that is about it. Washpun may turn out to be a good player but who really knows.

C74Law77 writes:

in response to vet4ut:

And instead of showing the wit of a 3rd grader, perhaps focus on spelling?

Or you could be an adult and keep the focus not on religion?

I'll be waiting on your next funny comment. Remember, WWJD?

WWJD

I assume this means, What Would Jordan Do. The answer is, He would, likely, take the last shot to win a game...Something this kid, apparently, cannot do.

Go Vols...I'll just hang up and listen

vet4ut writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

He? You using 3rd person now? I'm in the room, bro.
Or you talking about the big man upstairs? Wow, talking for JC. Hmmm, I'm gonna guess he has a firm grasp on spelling and vocabulary. Goes with the whole omnisceint thing...

More proof that ignorance is bliss.

volinlouisiana writes:

I have effectively taken part in the hijacking of this thread. I apologize. Don't worry, I will not respond to any other posts not basketball related.

vet4ut writes:

WWJD

Go Vols...I'll just hang up and listen

Funny. But, unfortunately for you, the list of videos accompanying the story shows that it is something that not only can he do, but "He do it deftly"....

Wes Washpun hits a buzzer-beater from just inside half court

vet4ut writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Amen!

springtx_vol writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

Okay, how about a young man named Billy Donovan. 2 years at Marshall, 35-25 record, no conference championships, no post season play. It has worked out pretty well so far.

The comparisons between Billy and Cuonzo? Both played big time college basketball (Pearl didn't), both coached under big name college coaches in big time college programs (Pearl did also). I like it so far.

PattheFlaVol writes:

in response to KCHS_alum:

is that you Al...Albert "the hutt" Gore???

if we elect this gangsta regime again...we deserve any judgement we receive from our enemies...or God!!!

I don't believe even the unions or self proclaimed man/god georgie soros can steal the next election for Barack.

VolGrad writes:

The KNS staff should really start carding some of these fellas.

C74Law77 writes:

in response to PattheFlaVol:

is that you Al...Albert "the hutt" Gore???

I'm with you..In 2012 The tea party fans and the Big Orange, under Coaches Martin and Dooley, will rule!!

Then, maybe, we can get at the real truth;

That the Founding Fathers worked tirelessly to end slavery.

That the first shots of the Revolutionary War were really fired at Lexington and Concord, New Hampshire.

That the Federal Goverment needs to keep its hands off of our parents Medicare.

That getting a coach from Missouri State is really better than getting one from Missouri.

Go Vols..I'll just hangup and listen

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

Go Vols..I'll just hangup and listen

Please hurry and hang up. Plug your ears while you're at it. No one wants to read your phooey!

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

Amen to that. Praise The Lord!!!

and Go Big Orange

lguy (Inactive) writes:

in response to tennrich1:

Not even the most ardent theologians think adam and eve were real. They are metaphors for the beginning of the human race. You seriously think they just appeared out of nowhere? Huh. Was there music playing when they materialized?

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

He is talking like those people that call into the Vols call in show.Don't be too hasty to vent anger.I'll "hang up and listen."