Josh Richardson, a 6-foot-5 guard, commits to Vols

Josh Richardson said he likes everything about the University of Tennessee so much that he has issued a verbal commitment to sign with the Vols.

Richardson is a 6-foot-5, 185-pound combo guard in the Class of 2011 from Santa Fe High School in Edmond, Okla.

“I told Coach (Cuonzo) Martin I’m coming here to play,’’ Richardson said in a phone interview Saturday night. “I like everything about Tennessee. I just feel comfortable here.’’

Richardson, rated the No. 121 overall player by Rivals.com and the No. 39 small forward by ESPN.com, attended Tennessee’s Orange-and-White spring football game on Saturday and met with his future UT teammates.

“Coach Martin has been recruiting me since my sophomore year,’’ said Richardson, who also visited Georgia Tech, TCU and Missouri State, and also had Oklahoma and Providence vying for his services. “I’ve known Tennessee has been pretty good in basketball every year.’’

Richardson said he will sign his National Letter of Intent later this week, making him the third signee in the Vols’ recruiting class.

He’ll join 6-1 point guard Wes Washpun from Washington High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and

5-10 combo guard Chris Jones from Melrose High School in Memphis.

Former UT signee Kevin Ware will not visit Knoxville this weekend, as his father, Wesley Junior, had previously speculated in an ajc.com story. Ware chose to go on an official visit to Central Florida this weekend, according to the website.

Ware is a 6-5 wing out of Rockdale County High School in Conyers, Ga.

Richardson said he’s aware of Ware’s interest in UT, but “it didn’t matter to me too much.’’

Richardson said he averaged 17 points, nine rebounds and five assists per game this season playing point guard.

“My sophomore year I played power forward, and last year I played the two and the three,’’ Richardson said. “So I guess that makes me a combo guy, because I can play a lot of positions.

“I think I can come in and be a good defensive player and hit some shots,’’ he said. “I’m a good ball handler, and I can penetrate and get in the lane and distribute the ball. My 3-point shot is getting better.’’

According to the ESPN.com report: “Richardson plays the game at a fierce pace and never takes a play off when on the floor. Josh’s length allows to him wreak havoc on the defensive end of the floor by challenging shots, deflecting passes and getting tips on dribble penetration. Josh goes after rebounds and is quick off the floor with his jump to gather tough rebounds.”

The Vols will sign between three and six players, depending on the futures of Freshman All-America pick Tobias Harris and junior All-SEC shooting guard Scotty Hopson, who have said they will test the NBA draft waters.

Harris and Hopson have until May 8 to get their draft evaluations before declaring if they are returning to play at UT for another season, provided they have not signed with agents.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volnvette03 writes:

First, and good news!!

jfink45 writes:

Need Ware and Ayaji.

bUTchVFL writes:

Awsome pick up! Way to go get 'em Coach Martin. VFL!

TennVol01 writes:

Verbal only. Let's not get excited yet.

dvols writes:

coach pearl is ringin em in!!!!!!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Great news..lets get Ware and Ayaji..It would be great if both Hopson and Harris return next year..I am hearing that there is a better chance that Harris returns and not Hopson.

volunteermailman writes:

in response to dvols:

coach pearl is ringin em in!!!!!!!!

haahahhahahahhahaha

TopTenn writes:

Great pick up for 2011. We need one big for 2011. 2012 will be the quality class.

VOL1972 writes:

I guess since our 4* players haven't worked out that well, CCM is going to load up on 3*'s.

Makes sense to me!

TopTenn writes:

in response to VOL1972:

Makes sense to me!

The Vols will get the 4 and 5 stars in 2012.

huntined#565710 writes:

Baseball beat BAMA 2 games today. CTR will last another week...Liles,Bennett,Morgan and Fritts were no help at the plate today.

easygoing writes:

in response to huntined#565710:

yea bennett what ?3 for sec now

walt23tn writes:

Good pickup. Martin offered, and he accepted. I love it. He's got to be a good recruiter to pull these guys in under the cloud of impending doom. Nice!!!

HallowedHill writes:

I remember when 6'5" guys were forwards.

GO VOLS!

cage952 writes:

in response to HallowedHill:

I remember when 6'5" guys were forwards.

GO VOLS!

on espn it says he is a small forward. i'm guessing he can play both guard and forward (hopefully)

GOJO writes:

in response to HallowedHill:

I remember when 6'5" guys were forwards.

GO VOLS!

****

Heck, I remember when they played center, & hung around under the basket.

C74Law77 writes:

in response to walt23tn:

Oh yes !!

Another great get. We stole him from those hoops juggernauts Penn State and TCU.

Bruce Pearl gave us three Top 10 recruiting classes in the last five years. At this rate we'll be lucky to crack the Top 100.

I can't wait to see all the Martin sycophants here, turn on him when Thompson Boling becomes the Catacombs of Rome in three years.

Just remember, you don't beat Kentucky Throughbreds with mules.

Go Vols...I'll just hang up and listen

RashaadSalabeb writes:

6'5" is an in-between size but there's been some realy good ones about that size,too. We do need a big man and another scoring threat.

Go Vols!

SummittsCourt writes:

Like the first line... never takes a play off...

mattlock writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Oh yes !!

Just remember, you don't beat Kentucky Throughbreds with mules.

Go Vols...I'll just hang up and listen

What was Pearl's first recruiting class ranked? One of his best recruiting classes included Chism and four players that had to be dismissed from the team. He had 5 four stars sitting on the bench this year while Skylar McBee and Steven Pearl got significant minutes. Coach Martin has done a great recruiting job considering what he walked into and who was still left on the board. But feel free to still be a hater. . .

milhaudmeto writes:

Kevin Ware.....WHO??? good pick up ccm! GBO!

thevoice writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Oh yes !!

Just remember, you don't beat Kentucky Throughbreds with mules.

Go Vols...I'll just hang up and listen

Top 3 classes in last 10 years evidently = guns, drugs, head cases, deep NCAA trouble, lack of FT shooting, lack of 3-pt shooting, drastic lack of PG play, lack of team play, lack of defense, and a lying, fired coach who left a trail of shame, save Tobias and Chism. Conversely, please inform us what Butler's recruiting ranking was the last several years. That's what I thought.

walt23tn writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Oh yes !!

Just remember, you don't beat Kentucky Throughbreds with mules.

Go Vols...I'll just hang up and listen

What a great comment from an ignorant dumb***! Pretty sure Pearl got himself fired and the university in trouble. I'm a huge Pearl fan, and you're a huge idiot. He crippled us, and Martin has gotten everyone he has went after to this point under these circumstances. Way to give the guy a chance Ky fan in diguise. The term is thoroughbred, and real thoroughbreds win races occasionally. After 14 years without one, I'm pretty sure they have all visited the glue factory.

MusicCityVol writes:

Look, based on the timing of Martin getting the job we are lucky he is reeling in D-1 level players at all. Is this class going to be top 20? Probably not but that doesn't mean he isn't laying a foundation for future years.

Basketball Spring Signing Period 2011-Updated with Richardson info and video.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to mattlock:

Why, I say, Why would you waste your precious time responding to this silliness?????

miatatom writes:

"Richardson plays the game at a fierce pace and never takes a play off when on the floor".

Maybe Scotty can learn something from a freshman if he comes back.

mattlock writes:

in response to tennrich1:

Saw the word "law" in his name, went into lawyer mode. . .second nature.

C74Law77 writes:

in response to thevoice:

From the Volnation Headquarters in NYC:

Let's see,

Six straight NCAA tournament appearances in six years.

Three Sweet Sixteens.

The first Elite Eight appearance in History.

The first outright SEC Title in 41 years.

The first No. 1 national ranking, ever.

The largest spike in home attendance, nationally.

Butler lost both games. The more important question is, what were Duke and Uconn's classes rated during those years.

As I said...You don't beat Kentucky Throughbreds with mules.

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to GOJO:

****

Heck, I remember when they played center, & hung around under the basket.

You are showing your age and I guess I am also. I remember 5'8" guards, 5" 10-11" forwards and 6-6 " 1" centers. Biggest guy I ever played against was A.W. Davis from Rutledge and he was 6"7" and may have grown another inch or two when he played at UT. Now they have 6-5 to 6-9 point guards. I doubt if I am around to see it, but soon there will be 7-0" forwards 7-5-7-9" centers and 6-5-6-10" guards. They already should raise the baskets to at least 11'5"-12' since every one on the team can dunk on the 10' baskets. They have widen the lanes, moved the 3 point line back, so it is time to raise the baskets!!

Vol43 writes:

in response to C74Law77:

From the Volnation Headquarters in NYC:

Let's see,

Six straight NCAA tournament appearances in six years.

Three Sweet Sixteens.

The first Elite Eight appearance in History.

The first outright SEC Title in 41 years.

The first No. 1 national ranking, ever.

The largest spike in home attendance, nationally.

As I said...You don't beat Kentucky Throughbreds with mules.

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen

Hey dumbfanny I thought we told you to leave. Are you deaf and dumb? (I really didn't say 'fanny'. The word I actually used rhymes with 'bass'.)

tree_em_smokey writes:

GUYS, C74LAW77 IS A TROLL. He is posing as a disgruntled fan to get you guys riled up...he is succeding and that's what he feeds on. Ignore him. GBO!!!

VolunteerLifer writes:

I hope this kid can play in the SEC. I take it this means we are less likely to sign Ware, since he is about the same size. We need some front court players now.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to C74Law77:

From the Volnation Headquarters in NYC:

Let's see,

Six straight NCAA tournament appearances in six years.

Three Sweet Sixteens.

The first Elite Eight appearance in History.

The first outright SEC Title in 41 years.

The first No. 1 national ranking, ever.

The largest spike in home attendance, nationally.

As I said...You don't beat Kentucky Throughbreds with mules.

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen

I've noticed you on here boasting about your multiple degrees the past few days. If you are so damn educated, why can't you spell?

Since you know it all, maybe you can tell me what a Throughbred is? LOL, freaking idiot!!!!!!!

VolinCalif writes:

in response to GOJO:

****

Heck, I remember when they played center, & hung around under the basket.

Yep. and pretty big one at that. You're one that sounds like you would also remember JoJo from KNS weather. Loved him.

C74Law77 writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

From Volnation Headquarters in New York City:

I'm certainly not disgruntled. I am, however, thoroughly disgusted. Digusted by the crescendo of quislings who post here.

The very same people who three weeks ago couldn't wait to rush to Coach Pearl's defence, now charge pell-mell, like vultures, to every opportunity, to pick at the man's coaching carcass. All the while, genuflecting before the Seat of Martin, who's proven nothing.You should all be awarded twenty pieces of govols-silver.

I can't wait to watch you champing at the bit to turn on Coach Martin after he loses a couple.

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen

Franktown writes:

#39 Small Forward... What other D-1 schools actually offered him a scholarship?

C74Law77_has_no_degree_and_is_a_fake writes:

in response to C74Law77:

From Volnation Headquarters in New York City:

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen

The following grammatical mistakes were made in this message, despite the fact that GoVols.com generously provides a post preview screen:

"Digusted by the crescendo of quislings who post here." is a fragment.

"champing" is the wrong word to use here. It should be "chomping."

Further, his claim about being in New York City is highly suspect. I would say he probably lives in Lenior City.

He has proven very little besides his ability to use a thesaurus. Nobody here is fooled.

C74, turn off your sister's computer and go clean your room.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Franktown:

#39 Small Forward... What other D-1 schools actually offered him a scholarship?

Georgia Tech, TCU, Providence, Tennessee.

richvol writes:

I don't want Ware now...him and his father can go somewhere else.

Since we got Josh Richardson maybe we will not have to see Tatum on the floor next season.

C74Law77 writes:

in response to Tweetdriver63:

From the Govols headquarters in New York City:

I am truly saddened at how demonstrative the people who post here are in denying any inconsistency and the fervor with which they refuse to learn.

For example, the virulence of feeling, that you and others have for those who hail from New York City.

By all accounts, I suppose, I should apologize residing here. Oh, and while I'm at it, I will also apologize for two other New Yorkers, the ones whose numbers hang in Thompson Boling. Those rascally New Yorkers, who are so routinly lionized on this site. I guess, I should go ahead apologize for the wearer of that third number. The one who cemented his legacy here, and now calls New York City his home.

Did I miss any other numbers down there hanging in the rafters? If I did, please let me know. I certainly don't want to be inconsistent or refuse to learn something I should know.

Again, I do apologize for being from New York. Because you, and others on this site, have made me painfully aware that no one from New York City, could ever be accused of being a true Vol.

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen.

volzrock54 writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Oh yes !!

Just remember, you don't beat Kentucky Throughbreds with mules.

Go Vols...I'll just hang up and listen

Agree!

VolFan148 (Inactive) writes:

C74Law77 seems to spend more time with the thesaurus than spell check.

So that we can all understand what he's trying to say, let's correct a few things.

"the virulence of feeling, that you"

No comma is needed.

"I should apologize residing here"

There should be a "for" after apologize, and "reside" isn't the right word in this context.

"Thompson Boling"

There's a hyphen.

"routinly"

I think you mean "routinely."

"I guess, I should"

No comma is needed.

"go ahead apologize"

I think you mean "go ahead and apologize."

"The one who cemented his legacy here, and now calls New York City his home."

This is a fragment.

"New York City, could"

No comma is needed.

"hangup"

I think you mean "hang up."

Keep the big words coming. We're more and more convinced that you're not actually a high school dropout and tilt-a-whirl operator at Dollywood. The New York bit is really quite amusing. Have you ever even been north of Bristol? It has been my experience that people from New York are self-assured enough not to have to lord it over everyone, so this bit totally gives you away. You're an open book, C74, but a poorly edited one.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to C74Law77:

From Volnation Headquarters in New York City:

Go Vols...I'll just hangup and listen

You are right about Martin having not accomplished anything at Tennessee.He hasn't coached his first game yet.That is why you should shut your mouth until Martin has coached a few games.Martin may prove you right or he may prove you wrong.Just give him a chance to prove himself one way or another.

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to VOL1972:

Makes sense to me!

He's recruiting toughness - and these are well ranked players. Also, take note of what VCU and Butler did...there is no drop-off between 3 and 4 like you imply.

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Oh yes !!

Just remember, you don't beat Kentucky Throughbreds with mules.

Go Vols...I'll just hang up and listen

Apparently you also don't beat Kentucky with Pearl's recruits. Where've you been?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I can't take this!!!??? All this troll REPOSTING and ridiculous bashing by them. C74law is not worth a reply button. Why do you use that REPLY??? It just makes his stupid points over and over and over and this site or article becomes a waste? There's no points here about basketball or thoughts about how to use Richardson etc.?
BTW Welcome Josh.

therightstuff writes:

C74Law77.......just hang up already. Butler lost both games...in the finals. That is two games better than Pearl two years in a row. Coach Martin is recruiting behind the 8 ball....you know other coaches are hinting to recruits the possible NCAA sanctions. First ever #1 ranking...
wow, how long did that last? I do give Coach Pearl all the credit for lifting the program to a higher level....but, the fact is he is no longer the Coach at Tennessee.....by his own hand. Coach Martin is solid and will bring great things to the University of Tennessee.....wins with character and honor. He brings a touch of Keady with him, along with (imo) some Summit, K, and even a bit of Knight.....discipline on and off the court, and tough arse defense. Not a bad thing at all.

bUTchVFL writes:

in response to C74Law77:

Oh yes !!

Just remember, you don't beat Kentucky Throughbreds with mules.

Go Vols...I'll just hang up and listen

Exactly how many top ten classes made up this years VCU and Butler teams? I'll hang up and listen........

where_the_magic_happens (Inactive) writes:

I shouldn't reply to law's post, but I just have to. It seems he' s taken a poo this morning whilst reading his thesaurus toilet paper. Maybe invest in dictionary TP to learn spelling?

Fans in the stands make posters with "D" and a picture of fence , that doesn't mean you spell it defence. But, you are probably one of the state appointed 'defence' lawyers because the more you try and make yourself appear smarter, the truth is blaringly obvious.

D-E-F-E-N-S-E

Hang up, shut up, and listen.

Share your thoughts