Mark Wiedmer: Cuonzo Martin brings big change of pace

The workout could leave the Energizer Bunny gasping for an I.V. and an oxygen mask.

For 30 minutes straight, Tennessee men's basketball players run around the Pratt Pavilion practice court shooting jumper after jumper while occasionally being shoved in the torso by an assistant coach wielding a giant, flat cushion.

There are no water breaks, no referee's whistle, almost no pauses in play. For 30 minutes. And did we mention there are no water breaks?

"It's the closest thing I've seen to a pro workout, especially the intensity," said former Vol Wayne Chism, who has been encouraged to join the drills by new UT coach Cuonzo Martin.

Read more at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

VOLDoll writes:

Change is all we needed! Thankfully that happened.

coach799 writes:

Pearl was a showboat but his style of play and lack of developing players was disappointing. I am glad to see Coach Martin and hope he brings victories and respect.

GO VOLS!!

miatatom writes:

in response to coach799:

GO VOLS!!

I agree completely!

michael7777 writes:

liked Pearl a lot but i am liking coach Martin more every day ..could be sweet for years to come

Franktown writes:

How would Wayne Chism know what a pro workout looks like?

77VolFS writes:

Wiemer - if this was a positive article on Martin without the cheap shots at Pearl I would've given it a good grade. Trying to use Chism, who absolutely was a warrior for Bruce, as a tool for your agenda was uncalled for. UT has moved on - you need to as well. Go Vols!

Hoops43 writes:

in response to Franktown:

How would Wayne Chism know what a pro workout looks like?

You seem to have forgotten he went to camp with the Kings and had workouts with the Nets. He left the Kings camp to go to Turkey.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Change is all we needed! Thankfully that happened.

Practice what you preached back on July14, 2009
"This is absolutely assinine. Why do the mods keep letting this very immature kid keep spewing his nonsense on here?
I don't agree with a lot of the posters, even Morristown, but I do not attack them personally. I sure hope the mods are serious about cleaning up this forum and remove this child from being on an adult forum. Thanks!"

Gotta say I don't quite know how to take that line about "no water breaks". Back in my day, coaches used to believe that hard practices without water made players tougher. We had some hard practices without water, but we also had guys falling out in all directions.

Modern studies in exercise physiology seem to show that practicing without sufficient water leads to cramps at best and the potential for far more dire consequences--i.e., death--at worst. Adequate hydration enables guys to work out harder, longer.

I hope Martin really IS a tough guy and is working those guys' butts off, but I would surely hate to think he was endangering their health, if not their lives. I hope Wiedmer was mistaken or misinformed somehow.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Change is all we needed! Thankfully that happened.

"Morristown I will tell you the same thing I tell my husband and his friends. If you want to bitc* about Pearl all the time then don't watch the damn games. Pearl might not be a great coach but it sure as hel* beats the alternative" 8/17/09

That is all you have done over the past year. He is gone, let it go.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Change is all we needed! Thankfully that happened.

"Volking, I am and have been a Bruce Pearl supporter since he first arrived.

But MTV is correct in saying that not all Vol fans are supporters of his. My husband and many of his friends agree with MTV in saying that he does just enough to keep some of the fanbase excited while accomplising very little.

So you may want to let people have their own opinions and quit bashing them every time they disagree with yours." 11/28/09

You are one of the worst to bash people/belittle people when they give an opionion that does not agree with yours.

LSG410EC83 writes:

Voldoll, I could keep going on and on with some of the post that you have typed in the past. Just hate to see someone talk out of both sides of their mouth so much. Just saw an interview with Bruce Pearl, first since he was fired. Have to say, he is still a class act in my book. The man you liked, then hated had not one negative word to say of the University, said he would continue to wear orange, and was behind Coach Martin and the basketball team 100 percent. Looks like he has accepted his fate and going on with his life, unlike some people who post on here. Stop looking in the psst and go forward.

VolNExile writes:

We might look back in a few years and see that CBP was the guy who got people excited about Tennessee bball again, standing on tables in the student center, working the crowds, doing good stuff in the community, and CCM took over and moved the program to the next level. Hope so, anyway.

Let things grow! Final Four programs don't drop out of the sky into the laps of impatient fans.

A_Voice_ofReason writes:

you sheep are all so sad! I've been saying for years now that your savior Bruce Pearl was a sham, a con artist, a liar and a piece of garbage. I warned you all what was coming and nobody wanted to listen.

SO NOW YOU GUYS ARE GLAD HE'S GONE AND GONZO IS GOING TO TAKE YOU TO THE FINAL 4 HU? HAHAHAHAHA

Another FACT that I'll tell you that you will choose to ignore.. the NCAA will be sanctioning the Vols and also will cut their scholarships so don't plan on going to the final 4 with a shallow team especially with Gonzo's system.

As of now, you better pray to God that the NCAA doesn't do what they are planning on doing which is banning the Vols from post season for 3 years.

You saps that chose to have the lovefest with Pearl and not listen to me are getting what I said was coming.

A_Voice_ofReason writes:

And for those of you bashing the writer of this article, at least he's speaking the truth. Pearl didn't care about anything but winning....PERIOD!

Ask his ex wife how much ole Brucie cared about people other than hinself.

Franktown writes:

in response to Hoops43:

Wow. Summer camp. Your second sentence says it all about Pearl's players.

ITISWHATITIS writes:

in response to A_Voice_ofReason:

I'm not sure you under stand the meaning of voice or reason since this forum is not audible and you are not reasonable just another IDIOT TROLL!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA to you Sir or Whatever.

OwensboroVol writes:

in response to LSG410EC83:

"Volking, I am and have been a Bruce Pearl supporter since he first arrived.

...agree with MTV in saying that he does just enough to keep some of the fanbase excited while accomplishing very little...

Just last year Bruce led the Volunteers to the Elite 8 in the NCAA Tournament and came up just 2 points short of going to the Final four. In my opinion, that is plenty to keep the entire fan base excited. It is true that We had a bad season this year, but we were really looking towards a great year with a team capable of competing for a SEC championship and possibly much more.