Josh Richardson officially a Vol

Guard 'has a real passion for playing defense'

Player, Position, Ht./Wt., School/Town

Chris Jones, G, 5-10/180, Various/Memphis

Josh Richardson, G, 6-5, 180, Sante Fe/Edmonds, Oklahoma

Wes Washpun, PG, 6-1, 170, Washington High/Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Josh Richardson

Josh Richardson

Josh Richardson's signing ceremony at Santa Fe High School in Edmond, Okla., was packed on Wednesday.

“I wore an orange Tennessee hoodie and a Tennessee hat,'' said Richardson, who made a verbal commitment to play basketball for the Vols on Saturday before signing his National Letter of Intent on Wednesday. “It was crazy all the people that were there today, and the cafeteria was packed.''

Richardson, a 6-foot-5 combo guard in the Class of 2011, said he plans to enroll in school in June and major in biology while minoring in business.

“Josh can play multiple positions and he's a guy who has a real passion for playing defense,'' UT coach Cuonzo Martin said in a release. “He has a great work ethic and really attacks the basket offensively. He's the type of young man we want in this program.''

Richardson averaged 16.5 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.6 assists after moving from the wing to the point guard position this season.

Richardson chose UT over Georgia Tech, Oklahoma, Penn State and TCU.

He joins fellow Class of 2011 signees Wes Washpun (point guard, Cedar Rapids, Iowa) and Chris Jones (combo guard, Memphis).

The spring signing period began April 13 and runs through May 18.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

KJVol writes:

Welcome aboard, Josh! And great work, Coach Martin and staff, a really good get this late in the recruiting process.

SummittsCourt writes:

“Josh can play multiple positions and he’s a guy who has a real passion for playing defense,”

A real passion for playing defense... I like him already

RatherBeDrivingaTitleist writes:

First team All State - That is a good place to start!!!

VOLliven2it writes:

You bring it Josh. I bet you will look good in Orange!

8ball writes:

Where do we stand with kevin ware?

Bigger_Al writes:

Do you think they could have used a picture of him when he has his eyes open?

RoadTrip writes:

in response to 8ball:

Where do we stand with kevin ware?

Nowhere if his commitment to UCF is real.

Welcome aboard Josh. Really looking forward to seeing you under Coach Zo's tutelage.

Twelvethirtyone writes:

in response to 8ball:

Where do we stand with kevin ware?

Yeah, as RoadTrip was just saying, Kevin Ware is now verbally committed to UCF. As for Josh, I watched a video of highlights in a game he played and I love that he was all business... no hot dogging, no posing after a dunk (he turned around and went straight back to play Defense). Unfortunately, I did not get to see him play defense because there wasn't a single highlight of the guy he was guarding getting the ball... perhaps there is a good reason for that... :)

pammyvol1000 writes:

Welcome Josh! V4L!!

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Correct sir. Also, a Biology major. Kid's got some smarts to pick up what Coach Zo will teach him. Welcome to Big Orange Country, Josh.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Welcome to Big Orange Country, Josh!!

This was a nice get considering how late it is in the recruiting process..I like the players Coach Martin has picked up..He knows what he is doing and he knows the kind of players he wants.

Smokey is still on the prowl...

lomas98 writes:

in response to Twelvethirtyone:

Not saying I disagree with you but you won't find many "highlight" tapes of young kids playing defense. It's all dunks and 3 pointers in those tapes.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Welcome to UT Josh, I can't wait till this next season. I'm excited about the team. I LOVE defense!

james#216392 writes:

Now, let's get a big guy. We have enough guards.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Do you think they could have used a picture of him when he has his eyes open?

Is that all you have to complain about? Good grief!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Is that all you have to complain about? Good grief!

Halloffamer,

Big Al must be the blind one...........I can see this recruit's eyes with the bright sun in his face.

Oh well, what can you say?

kantanuuv writes:

So the Voles beat out Georgia Tech (13-18), Oklahoma (15-19), Penn State (19-15) and TCU (12-22)?

The only [barely] successful program in the entire country who even sniffed this kid is Penn State?

And every actual successful program completely ignored him?

Yeah. He's a blue chipper.

elbtenn#502977 writes:

Stay away from Bar Knoxville

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to kantanuuv:

And every actual successful program completely ignored him?

Yeah. He's a blue chipper.

GTech and OK are big time programs with alot of history of success. Penn State is a good program in the big ten. I wouldn't be turning up my nose at those guys. There may have been some reason why others didn't recruit him - grades, etc. For me, if he has the attributes that Martin says he has, and if he can play in the SEC, we'll gladly take him.

movinonup writes:

in response to kantanuuv:

And every actual successful program completely ignored him?

Yeah. He's a blue chipper.

It must really bite to be you

1vavolfan writes:

If he can play multiple positions, I hope one of them is center. If Tobias leaves that leaves Hall, Maymon, and Woolridge in the post. Hopefully a big man is a signing in the near future.

born2ride writes:

Richardson is a quality player. Martin is fortunate to get somebody this good so late in the recruiting year. He will contribute next year.

Chris Jones is our top recruit but he may not be eligible or get through the clearing house.

Washpun will be a scrub/practice player. Don't expect anything from him.

Hopson is going pro - probably overseas. No loss to us, does not play up to his rating.

Harris is a first round draft pick and will not be coming back.

Vols will be shorthanded next year or two.

traderjoe writes:

A major in biology? I like this guy. Apparently he has other interests besided bb. Good for him and for UTK!

volsunited writes:

in response to kantanuuv:

And every actual successful program completely ignored him?

Yeah. He's a blue chipper.

derrick favors, thaddeus young, blake griffin. Just a couple of the NBA players the programs you named have produced recently. Judge a program by their last year record?!? Guess last year UNC couldnt get quality guys either since they had a bad record. Some people i tell ya. Welcome to big orange country Josh

keepitreal4vols writes:

Biology? This kid is going to put the student back in the term student athlete.

Katphan29 writes:

in response to KJVol:

Let me grab my hankerchief for these tears of joy......UT signed a recruit......I'm so happy.....we can play ball next year.....sob.....smile......sob

Katphan29 writes:

in response to kantanuuv:

And every actual successful program completely ignored him?

Yeah. He's a blue chipper.

But he signed....that's the point.....sob....tears of joy......sob

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Katphan29:

Kats!!!??? Go eat a rat...or something nasty like that.
I can't wait till our team gets together. The sooner(pun hehe) the better!!!

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Biology? This kid is going to put the student back in the term student athlete.

keepitreal, you beat me to it. the kid sounds like a fine student.

Welcome to the family Josh!

mcvol75 writes:

Great pickup by the Vols. I saw this kid play in an AAU tourney last summer. He's a player. He seems to have that will to win and do anything to help his team accomplish that. I thought he was heading to Tech for sure, but CCM must have made a strong push. He attacks the offensive glass hard, which is something we need badly. Good luck in Knoxville, Josh, and welcome to Vol country.

Outdated writes:

..from the comments it appears many Vol fans welcome the opportunity to see more players capable of playing with the IQ of a Tobias Harris as opposed to those who celebrate a dunk while the other team is shooting a lay up, hang their head and loaf down the floor after losing the ball, looking for their man on defense while he is shooting a lay up...I got sick watching the lack of effort at times this past season...I welcome anyone willing to play with the effort of Dane Bradshaw, Chris Lofton, JuJuan Smith..it appears we have signed 2 such players..
I think there is a strong chance Harris will return, Hall will improve, Maymon has more than he got to show, and Martin won't tolerate the lack of defense we had this past season..if I'm right we will have a very interesting team to watch...

FeelVol writes:

in response to Outdated:

Good post,agree completely.

volsfan74 writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

And the best thing about him playing defense for 60 minutes is we only need him to play D for 40 minutes. JUST KIDDING I couldn't resist but I totally agree because this past year about 7 or 8 minutes of every game we seemed to go to sleep on offense and defense.

volsfan74 writes:

With the continued signing of guards that can make an instant impact it seems obvious that Coach Zo does not expect to see Scotty wearing UT orange next year.

volsfan74 writes:

in response to WildcatsOne:

And just how many of those McDonalds All Americans have won you a Championship under Calamari?

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Well said Bob. There's always a few of them floating around. Great get Coach Zo!

GO VOLS!!!!!!

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

What school is wildcats?

Vol43 writes:

in response to WildcatsOne:

I see by your reply that 'volsfan74' burned you pretty good. Hee Hee. Man, did he push your buttons, or what? Funny. I see that you failed to actually ANSWER his question. Oh, one other thing: adored by millions? Millions? Next time count to 100 before typing.

volinlouisiana writes:

Ware is done taking visits, so he is no longer an option.
But, Richardson is a Rivals 150 player, so I don't know why the hate. He's ranked just 65 spots lower than Ware in the nation. That's not many considering how many thousands of players are evaluated. I don't think there will be any great loss in a switch from Ware to Richardson.
Now, we just need a big man.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Just when you think there are some classy UK fans out there..I guess none of them on this site are classy..Thought Katphan and Wildcat One were, but I guess not...All of them are the same.

Smokey is still on the prowl...

MusicCityVol writes:

Very excited about Richardson. Not sure if there is a big man out there that would really help who might have mutual interest. Might be better to stock up for the 2012 class. According to this, Dane Bradshaw has been really impressed with the workouts and everything he has heard about CM. Dane's opinion goes a long way with most of us.

tnvol4ever writes:

"the adoration of millions of fans around the world"
Thanks kittycat thats a good one. Robert Montgomery Knight pretty much summed up the "adoration" fans outside of Ky have for your program.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to WildcatsOne:

the real question is, atleast it is what history tells us, will you get too keep those banners, or take em down in a couple years and forfeit?

you got us this year, congrats, the big "power house" is bragging about beating little ole Tennessee, wow.

volfan121790 writes:

Holy cow! He's actually going to have a real major instead of something like "Sports Management."

volinlouisiana writes:

Just read on Rivals that the way UCF got Ware was by promising him he could play point guard. Well, in light of that, I'm glad we got Richardson instead. The last thing we needed wast to sign a 3rd point guard in this class.

manniesghost1903 writes:

I am glad Josh Richardson is a signee and can play defense, Hopefully, Coach Martin will provide a tough defense because according to the ESPN top 100 we will need every bit of defense we can get.

Kentucky 1. Anthony Davis 3. Michael Gilchrist 7. Marquis Teague 18. Kyle Wiltier

Florida 4. Bradley Beal

Arkansas 15. B.J. Young 35. Ky Madden 54. Hunter Mickelson

Georgia 23. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Alabama 29. Levi Randolph

Mississippi State 30. Rodney Hood 96. D. J. Gardner

Vanderbilt 32. Dai-Jon Parker 83. Kedren Johnson

South Carolina 86. Anthony Gill 100. Damien Leonard

Will UT fans be understanding if we do not see UT mens basketball team in the NCAA tournament for the next two or three years?

volinlouisiana writes:

in response to manniesghost1903:

Florida 4. Bradley Beal

Arkansas 15. B.J. Young 35. Ky Madden 54. Hunter Mickelson

Georgia 23. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Alabama 29. Levi Randolph

Mississippi State 30. Rodney Hood 96. D. J. Gardner

Vanderbilt 32. Dai-Jon Parker 83. Kedren Johnson

South Carolina 86. Anthony Gill 100. Damien Leonard

Tennessee 66. Chris Jones

VolNationPride writes:

in response to WildcatsOne:

What's more embarassing than Kentucky football?

A Kentucky fan TRYING to talk trash on a UT fan board. Did you see the emphasis on trying? I know, it's hard to see over your inflated head.

Now to give you nightmares tonight...one word...you ready?...Gillespie..

TKO writes:

Photo looks to be from the 60s. Good luck young man.

manniesghost1903 writes:

in response to volinlouisiana:

Tennessee 66. Chris Jones

Yes, I saw that. My son watched Chris Jones play against Joe Smith in the State Tournament for the 2009-2010 season. At Memphis Melrose, Chris Jones played against some first rate competition during his junior season. It is hard to believe there are 65 seniors better than him. Perhaps if he had completed the season this year, he would have been ranked higher. One key which helped him in his junior year was Mr. Thomas who is headed to Memphis. Hopefully, Jones will qualify but he will need a Harris on the floor to allow him to be effective. Without someone of Harris' caliber on the court, Jones might not be a consistent scoring threat. He can hit the three point shot and I understand he has a quick first step toward the basket. I just hope the supporting cast on the floor will be there.