Lesson from LSU keeps Derek Dooley from worrying about Tyler Bray

Matt Mauck threw 5 INTs in spring game, went 18-2 as starter

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) hands the ball off to tailback Tauren Poole (28) during the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium Saturday, April 16, 2011.  White won the game 24-7 over Orange.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray (8) hands the ball off to tailback Tauren Poole (28) during the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium Saturday, April 16, 2011. White won the game 24-7 over Orange.

Derek Dooley talks after the Orange and White game

Derek Dooley might not have put extra emphasis on his spring game, but he still watched the film of it.

The Tennessee coach clearly didn’t enjoy what he saw from his quarterback live or on tape, though all practices being equal, Dooley could pop in 14 other workouts to watch and probably feel much better.

Given a couple days to digest the end of spring practice, Dooley’s analysis of Tyler Bray’s rocky finish to camp in the Orange and White Game didn’t change much since Saturday. But it also didn’t overshadow what had been a productive couple weeks leading up to the exhibition, and it wasn’t nearly enough to convince him Bray isn’t the clear starter for the Vols.

“Certainly Tyler’s performance on paper was horrible, and there were a lot of reasons for it,” Dooley said during Wednesday’s SEC teleconference. “Some were his fault, but most of it had to do with a lot of extenuating circumstances.

“I thought the last two weeks of spring practice he really performed the way we expected him to perform from a command standpoint, from an accuracy standpoint, from a judgement and decision-making standpoint, so that was encouraging. Certainly Tyler has a lot of work ahead of him, and he’s still in the infant stages of quarterbacking.”

That assessment wasn’t difficult to believe as Bray struggled with his accuracy and decision-making in a 5-for-30 passing effort over the weekend, but he had shown signs of growing up in the previous workouts as he tries to build on his freshmen success last fall.

Just a week earlier in the second of UT’s two live scrimmages, Bray was in total command of the offense, throwing for 258 yards and four touchdowns while completing 17 of his 30 attempts to further entrench himself at the top of the depth chart. And while Matt Simms was effective in leading the White to the 24-7 win on Saturday, in the previous scrimmage the senior was just 6-for-16 with two interceptions -- yet another reason Dooley isn’t reading much into one afternoon.

That’s a lesson he learned the hard way after a brutal summer worrying about LSU quarterback Matt Mauck in 2002 after a five-interception performance in a spring game, which preceded an 18-2 run as the starter capped off with a national championship.

“I always get a little nervous about overvaluing the spring game, because I remember the year (before) we won the national championship, Matt Mauck had (five) interceptions in the spring game at LSU,” Dooley said. “We were in a panic state all offseason and summer, and then he went on to be the winningest quarterback in LSU history.

“There were a lot of reasons for his performance, and Tyler, of course, is the starting point. But the combination of the receiving corps, the offensive line, what we were running on offense to help him, there’s a lot of issues that went into it. We’re really going to evaluate Tyler on how he did over those other 14 practices and hopefully discount what happened in the spring game.”

Or perhaps Dooley can simply hope his spring-game history repeats itself.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

murrayvol writes:

It's hard to spin 5 for 30. Helluva job coach.

Dooley may have a career in marketing when his coaching days are done.

VOLliven2it writes:

I would have preferred him to have done better but feel we will be fine when the season rolls around. If he does something comparable in say the Cincinnati or Florida games, I'd be very concerned. We have a chance for a very good year, not likely championship caliber but who knows? Bray will hopefully become like the qb we believe he can become as play begins in Sept.

orangeman1 writes:

Thats right. There is no need for concern. That is until Bray stinks it up in a live game. Then the controversy will begin. What happened to Nance anyway. This is his second year and he was highly recruited, but I havent hear anyting about his progress.

DutchOrangeVolsOrange writes:

Well, If CDD is not panicking about it, I will not either!

tree_em_smokey writes:

I'm not too worried about Bray either, although a strong performance in the spring game would have been nice. I'm more worried about the recievers. D. Rogers looked good but Hunter not so much, he developed butter fingers in the O&W game. Milton didn't have many good throws in his direction so it's kinda hard to judge his progress and the same with Dallas. I hope Arnett has glue on his hands when he arrives in June.

Overall I think this team will pull it together when the season begins. Summer practice will be intense with every player knowing it's dog eat dog time to get a starting position.

We will be much better in the run game period. Mostly because our opponents will have to respect our passing game or we will make em pay. I don't see them stacking the box with 8 guys every down this year.

I made a prediction earlier this month of us winning 7-8 games. I still think we will do that. GBO!!!!

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Not so much.

He was committed to Vandy and changed to UT last minute.

I don't believe he was anymore than an afterthought to build depth and also to help recruit Da'Rick.

Seems to be a good kid though. I hope he does well as a back up to Bray.

GBO!

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to orangeman1:

According to A Gribble he is light years away from starting. Plus he was recovering from an injury not too long ago. The only reason Dooley offered him was to get D Rogers. Telling a recruit that he (NN) is a package deal if DR committs is risky. So Dooley offered them both individually knowing they would both come here.

He wasn't necissarily "highly recruited" he was committed to Vandy before he switched to us if that tells you anything.

VolGrad writes:

Justin Hunter has more work to do than Tyler Bray. But they both need to spend some extra time in the cafeteria and weight rooms.

GBO!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

I couldnt remember. I assume Worley will redshirt this year and they will just go with Bray/Simms. It doesnt look like Nance or Raulston will ever see the field. I can see why Dooley would offer Nance to get Rogers, but I'm not sure why Raulston is there. Is he under scholarship too?

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

I think judgment is the most commonly misspelled word I've ever seen in print. I think it is misspelled by journalists and others much more often than it is spelled correctly.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Ever hear of a guy named J. Cutler?

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Once again you prove you know nothing about talent, about Coach Dooley, about football in general. Obviously you're some kind of office pogey/numbers cruncher.

You used to rile me but now its just sort of amusing and a little sad. You must know that even the people you consider 'friends' are laughing at you behind your back.

One day you will realize this and its gonna be too late.

agentorange writes:

The Vols are currently undefeated. Save the moaning for a loss or when discussing Mike Hamilton.

tree_em_smokey writes:

in response to kcbigorngX:

Ever hear of a guy named J. Cutler?

Yep I sure have. I've heard of Terrell Owens too who played at Chattanooga. But my point is 99% of the time 1-2 star athletes don't go to the NFL. I'm not a star gazer either. GBO!!!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Florida has Weis as an offensive coordinator and Will Muschamp. We better get serious and dispense with the hand wringing or the next ten years are going to be worse than the last ten. We need to win at least 9 games this year. The rebulding nonsense stops now. We have been throwing away season after season for whatever ridiculous reason. We are not being respected the way we should be. It's great that we have a son of an SEC winner, even if you like him or not. It's great that he talks a good game. I am a fan. But I'm tired of the phooey and I'm tired of losing to Florida and Alabama and I sure as heck won't abide South Carolina inching up and having to hear the man without a state. I want Coach Dooley to be successful. If we are on the same level as Weis and Muschamp we have no worries. We are young. So what. We are thin. So what. Man up. We lost to frigging North Carolina in a bowl game. Embarrassing. Again, the marching orders are "even the slate with Florida" just like it was told to General Neyland about Vanderbilt. I have no patience with losing to those wife beater wearing idiots any more. I've been down there 4 times. I've done my part. It's time for the football program to step up and get us back on top. Now. Not 2 years from now when a new excuse comes along. And stop babying Bray. He should have already gained 20 pounds. He looks like a Holocaust survivor. Follow him around with a box of hamburgers and Ben and Jerry's. He is not a prima donna. And he will not gain the weight on his own. If he doesn't bulk up he will get hurt and then the plan is set back another 4 years. Can you hear me? Sick of this. Beat Florida now. Get it? Good. Thanks for coming out...See you in the fall...

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

yeah and bob was also high all the time!!!

txsvol#372416 writes:

Not to nitpick with CDD, but he is factually in error when he says that Matt Mauck is the winningest LSU QB in history at 18-2. Warren Rabb was 20-2 for the 1958-1959 Tigers, and I saw my first Vols game in person when we hung the 14-13 defeat on their defending national championship team. "LSU had its Cannon, but the Cannon wasn't loaded," was the cry of one of our 'loaded' fans, as we exited the stadium. I probably should not expect CDD to know this, as he was born nine years later. But, I'll bet he knows the all-time winningest QB in Georgia history, David Greene,42-10 (broke Peyton's 38 win collegiate record), which was in turn broken by Colt McCoy of Texas with 45. Go Vols! SAVol

orangeman1 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Won despite the quarterback? You dont even know what you are talking about. He was 19-2 as a starter and set the record at LSU for most TD thrown in a season. Almost single handidly beat UT in the SEC title game in 01(rrrrrg) and led the to a National title. If I were you, I would worry about winning at least 3 games this year since your team hasnt done that since 2008. I'm not worried about Bray, because if Bray doesnt work out, theres Simms, and if Simms doesnt work out theres Worley. All of which are better than any Qb on Vandy's roster.

Huttdawg100 writes:

I think Bray will be fine as long as we have a strong and steady running attack like Wisconsin. I think Bray will do fine if Poole rushes for over 1000 yards. If Poole and Neal have a good year, opposing defensive linemen and linebackers will have to keep it honest on defense and play run first and pass second. That's why Bullard's eligibility next year is really important. We'll need him to plow open some running lanes.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

Hey Tim,
I know you are a die hard Vol fan who expects the very best, but you just came across as a spoiled brat.
When you get down to the point where we were in SEC football, it's gonna take time to get back. In our division alone are some of the best teams (with the best recruiting base) in the nation. Throw in UA and AU and we have the toughest opponents money can buy. Now add Arkansas with a 5 star coach.
We will win our share, but it's gonna be a tooth and nail fight (just the way we like 'em) with a little luck deciding the outcome either way. It aint gonna happen just cause we're wearing the Big Orange.
Hang in there and keep screaming your lungs out.

KC

CoachFulmer writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

Amen, best comment thus far.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

That actually gave me a giggle.

But it doesn't change the fact that everything I said is exactly what everyone thinks about you.

It's your life, waste it if you choose.

CCLC writes:

I am encouraged by Bray.
just sayin'

CCLC writes:

in response to CoachFulmer:

Amen, best comment thus far.

I think you are on the same level as Weis.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to VOLstuckINky:

No kidding. You would think Dooley wouldnt reference the Qb that single handily cost UT a shot at the National Title in 01. That game is probably most disappointing game in my time as a Vol fan.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Jay Cutler. What are we living in the past now? Who said anything about former Qb's? I'm glad you would take Smith over Bray. I'm not sure why, but I guess you being a Vandy fan you arent to bright when it comes to football. Your Senior Smith had 1262 yds and 6 TDs after facing "all" the SEC teams. Our guy Bray had 1849 yds and 18 TD's in half a season so at least our Qb has potential while yours will be a loser again and not even get a sniff from the NFL. You must love being ridiculed because thats the only reason I can think a Vandy fan would come to a UT message board and talk smack.

Vol43 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Ya know something css, you claim to own an online sports betting company and you know some 'wiseguys' in Vegas (whatever the heck that's supposed to mean). Your knowledge of college football doesn't sound very impressive. All of the UT fans here routinely make you appear foolish, but you don't seem to get it. And then they laugh at you. Seriously dude, if you're not already embarrassed you really should be.

DennisVols writes:

The O&W game was different this year. With the seniors picking the players it was more like a pick up game in the school yard. You could see the timing was off on both sides at times. Still it is a tradition and it is always good to get a football fix between Jan. and Aug.
I don’t live in the Knoxville area so I read a lot of outside sources concerning UT’s football program. Those who are not writing to please the fan base necessarily and base their opinions more on the facts rather than emotion.
What I am hearing (reading) is that the opportunity is there for UT this year to finish no less than 2nd in the east and possibly make a run at the top spot. This is based on 2 schools of thought.
1) UT has more experience this year due to all the freshmen who had to play last year. While there will be a large amount of youth on the field (sophomores and freshmen) it won’t be quite as bad as last year from playing experience. That increase in experience should make for a better team that will have a much bigger playbook on both sides to throw at their opponents.
2) The east is once again the weaker division for the 2nd straight year. You can spin that any way you wish but when you’re in a rebuilding cycle like UT currently is you take your breaks where you can get them. UF has a new coach and new system that showed it was no where near what their fans expect during their spring training this year. UGA well they are UGA. Every year is “wait until next year” these days for coach Richt and company. Great recruiting does not always mean wins in this conference if you cannot train them for the next level. USC has their own issues at QB and some other positions and last year showed that in big games they were no match for their opponents. UK has improved but did not perform as well under their new coach and well Vandy is still Vandy.
All things considered and continued development this summer UT has an opportunity to at least become competitive in their own division. A good showing this fall can also turn some heads as UT has suffered through a storm and some highly rated recruits where not interested in a rebuilding team.
Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

drgreear writes:

Cantstandsaban is a 40 year old man living in his moms basement

rockytopatl writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

No problem, mon. Great post.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Forget Nance. He was the accessory on the group package that brought us Da'Rick, who could be our top receiver this year.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Does anyone else get tired of reading some of the "novels" posted here? Gets a little boring after the first 10 - 12 lines, especially if they don't know that you can use a paragraph on this site!! Keep it short, please!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Wrong, Coach Fulmer..This is the best post so far!!!

Smokey is still on the prowl...

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

Dennis, as always you provide some valuable insight. I'm very interested in how UGA responds with Mark Richt clearly on the hotseat; they're in their second season in the 3-4 and they've found two huge nose guards that will be hard to run on (hate to say it, but they may be the team to beat). After that, I don't see Brantley flourishing in Florida's new offense led by Charlie; I think Brantley has a bruised ego like Crompton did in 2009. USC looks like they'll have to replace Garcia. UK lost their best player in Cobb. Vandy has a new coaching staff and very little talent on both sides of the ball. LSU has a new OC. Bama and Arkansas both have new QB's. Next year will be very interesting.

VolQB writes:

I am more concerned about the leadership from our young star players. I thought taking a mental break by a player is unacceptable by Dooley.

Thank goodness it was just a spring game. Maybe this was a wakeup call for some.

kantanuuv writes:

CVDjr: "Tyler’s performance really sucks, for a lot of reasons."

AW: "Such as?"

CVDjr: "Well, for one, Tyler really sucks."

Heh heh. Nah I'm just kiddin' ya. Voles 18-2 with a National Championship is a given.

utjunkie writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

If you truly can't stand saban why don't you go to bama's web site or do you not know how to find it. As far as vandy's bowl win please, a whole generation went by in between vandys two bowl wins (when was the last one 1956?). Nothing to brag about, but then again neither is Cutler he'll be benched next season or traded.

bigOutfan writes:

in response to hcjournals#206623:

I like what you say, I hope it happens like you say. I'm sure the entire Big Orange Nation feels the same way you do, just plain sick and tired of losing. I've been around this program a long time, I've seen some great wins and way to many, tear your heart out loses. I'm tired of 5&7, 6&6, 7&5. It time it stops and stops now! This team needs to get bigger, faster and stronger this summer. If they don't then it could be another 5&7 year. Lets get behind them and show our support by putting a 107,000 fans in Neyland Stadium screaming and yelling for The Vols!!! Bring the Pride back!

CroKev writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Enrie(1), you're back!!

CCLC writes:

Matt Mauck was a 6'2" 225 junior that year he broke LSU records. He was fairly seasoned at that point. Spring he was still healing from a broken foot which cost him the second half of his soph season. So yeah planting a healing foot lead to some interceptions. How's Bray's feet anyway? Anything broken? Matt went pro before his senior season ....and is now studying to be a dentist. I don't see any comparison between Bray and Matt just because Bray threw for a 23% completion ratio this spring. Tennessee has a bunch of walk-ons all over the field... and basketball players that have used up all of their hoops eligibility. Not a good sign. But I appreciated CDD spin.
just sayin'

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

"When in wonder, when in doubt,
Run in circles, yell and shout."

ancient adage

allvol32 writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

What's the over/under on the number of posts before dc gets banned for the 312th time?

The dude is obviously obssesive-compulsive in much the same way that many sex offenders are. Even after multiple stints in prison they apparently cannot resist their compulsions to reoffend upon release.

GONAVY writes:

All things need to be kept in proper perspective. Bray's huge freshman numbers came against the absolute weakest opponents on the schedule: Memphis, Ole Miss, VU and Kentucky. UNC was weak as well. Simms was the poor sacrificial lamb against the real SEC calibre types, including Oregon. Bray was held out on purpose; we all know this. Spring is exactly that: Spring. You play against each other in pseudo-fall fashion, but it isn't even close. Bray will perform well in the opener; Cincinnati will be a little better barometer (not much) Buffalo? The Vols will see the real Bray when they line up against the likes of LSU, UF, UGA, Arkansas and Bama, etc. Until then, it's crazy to speculate. To compare Bray to Mauck is 'coachspeak' at its best by Dooley. Mauck was surrounded with a team chock full of NFL calibre players; he was the mere guardian and was asked not to do anything to get LSU beat. Bray is not surrounded by anything close to that talent level next fall. So, let's wait and see.

allvol32 writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

A tebow doll...that's a good one!!!

RatherBeDrivingaTitleist writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Yeah and your prediction last year was something like 63-6. Maybe the 7-5 season was the reason.

VOLS_and_REDSOX_4ever writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

I'd rather have a nine year old than Larry Smith, because I've seen him play.... you have not apparently...?

everydayisorange writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

When will you ever get over the love affair you have with Fulmer? Why didn't peabody hire him when they had the chance? Who are the 6 loses that you see happening to UT? What will you do when these loses don't happen? I have given up on you ever saying anything positive about UT! Time to shut-up Mr. Herman (Herm the Germ) Mathews! I would say before you show your ignorance, but too late!

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Glad you reminded me Vandy, a team he peppered as a freshman, isn't a top 50 team. Thanks.