Coaches, athletes go glam at Volscars

Orange-carpet affair

Tennessee athletes dress to the nines for 2011 Volscars

Colorful dresses, high heels, suits and ties were in order on Monday night at the University of Tennessee’s “Volscars” awards ceremony at the Knoxville Convention Center.

The Vols and Lady Vols arrived via orange carpet for UT’s fifth annual Oscars/ESPYs parody honoring the school’s top athletes and coaches of the year.

Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley didn’t win any awards, but clips from his weekly news conferences drew the biggest laughs of the night.

“Yeah, we had some fun with it, but at something like this, you absolutely have to,’’ Dooley said. “This is such a great event because we’re rarely all together like this. So many of these young people are always training and competing, so this presents a rare opportunity.’’

Lady Vols pitcher Cat Hosfield said the timing for the show couldn’t have been much better for her No. 4-ranked UT softball team, which had its 13-game win streak snapped on Saturday.

“It’s a lot of fun seeing everyone all dressed up outside of their uniforms,’’ Hosfield said. “It’s also a nice break for us — we’ve been playing a lot of games lately.’’

The UT softball team enjoyed its strongest showing in the history of the ceremony, winning the Lady Vols’ “Team of the Year Award.’’

Co-head coaches Ralph and Karen Weekly were honored with UT’s female “Coach of the Year” award, and senior Kelly Grieve was recognized for “Female Best Supporting Role.’’

The men’s tennis team also had a dominant showing, winning male Team of the Year as well as a number of individual awards: Male Rookie of the Year, Rhyne Williams; Male Best Supporting Role, Tennys Sandgren; Men’s Coach of the Year, Sam Winterbotham, and Male Athlete of the Year, J.P. Smith.

When the athletes weren’t presenting awards to one another or applauding their fellow teams’ efforts, smiles were abound.

In addition to the Dooley skit, UT receiver Justin Hunter drew chuckles with an outdated dance move in a mock competition against the Tennessee Dance Team.

Former Tennessee All-SEC defensive back Charles Davis, who served as master of ceremonies, challenged Hunter to a live event — snapping rolls of toilet paper through hula hoops.

Davis, a 1986 UT graduate who now works as an analyst with Fox Sports and the NFL Network, said he was honored to host the event.

“I’ve had the opportunity to call three national championship (football) games, but I think tonight is the highlight of my career,’’ said Davis, an Elizabethton native, “because it involves me being back home with my alma mater.’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

UofTNVol writes:

Sounds like a great event. Congrats to all the honorees. GBO

oldorange writes:

A great break from the pressure cooker of college sports........GO VOLS

shipperman#280095 writes:

Dang, we got some leggy athletes...woo woo

voloffaith writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Dang, we got some leggy athletes...woo woo

Yes they are someone's daughter(s).

On topic,great event honoring our own...

Theo writes:

Hey Hammy, It's an evening event wear a dark suit next time. What a schmuck.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Yes they are someone's daughter(s).

On topic,great event honoring our own...

And those someones probably gave those daughters the money to buy those dresses that show off those legs.

voloffaith writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Not so fast...mom and dad might have forked the dough,but probably never saw the results til ewe did today. My wife would simply remind my daughter who you represent and to dress modestly. Anyway eye kno most will disagree with me so I'll run off to my room and pout...ok I'm over it.

barefoot43 writes:

I may be wrong, but I believe Charles Davis is from New Paltz, NY. I believe he would be a great AD.

MothershipChip writes:

in response to voloffaith:

That is easily the strangest reply I have ever seen to anything on this website; congratulations you sir win the internet.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to voloffaith:

You may be weird, Gz, but you are funny. lol

voloffaith writes:

in response to MothershipChip:

Where strange comes from I don't know when all is taken in context. Responded to poster's comments about dresses and who probably paid for not knowing ran short of material in leg area. No I'm not calling for ankle coverage. Also what was strange (in context) about my wife reminding our daughter to be modest even if society screams to show off. So if that's strange from societal standpoint just shows how we've dumbed down to street level as opposed to maintaining the bar at a high level. Again we will agree to disagree on this or I will go to my room and have another hissy fit with a good foot stomping pout thrown in.....now I feel so much better "strangely".