Tobias Harris, Scotty Hopson submit paperwork for NBA draft

Tennessee men’s basketball players Tobias Harris and Scotty Hopson have submitted paperwork to make themselves eligible for the NBA draft, UT associate sports information director Tom Satkowiak confirmed Monday.

New Vols coach Cuonzo Martin said Monday he wasn’t surprised by the players’ decisions. Both had indicated since the end of the season that they planned to test the NBA draft waters.

“For those two guys, they’ve got to let it play out and showcase their talent,’’ Martin said. “If they don’t feel good about their situations or opportunities, they’re welcome back.’’

The deadline for underclassmen to enter the draft was 11:59 p.m.

Sunday.

Hopson and Harris have until May 8 to declare their intentions to UT athletic director Mike Hamilton if they plan to return for another year of eligibility, provided they have not signed with agents.

The NBA draft will take place on June 23. Individual workouts with NBA teams begin Thursday.

Harris, a Freshman All-America pick at power forward, has been going through workouts at UT and attending classes, but he also spent some April weekends in Houston to workout with former NBA coach and current NBA pre-camp director John Lucas.

Hopson, a junior All-SEC shooting guard, has not participated in the Vols’ team workouts, choosing instead to workout in New Jersey and South Florida. Hopson kept up with his studies through prearrangements with his professors, according to Martin.

“I’ve stayed in touch with Scotty, and I’ve spoken with his mother,’’ Martin said. “I’ve watched six films from last season, and Scotty is a guy who can really score the ball that we would love to have back.

“He has all the tools to be a great player; the size, athleticism, the ability to shoot the ball and he can get to the rim.’’

Hopson, 6-6, 195, is projected to be selected as the No. 46 pick (second round) to the Los Angeles Lakers by DraftExpress.com and is not projected to be selected by NBADraft.net.

The 6-foot-8, 225-pound Harris is projected as the No. 19 pick in the first round to the Charlotte Bobcats by NBADraft.net and the No. 24 pick to the Oklahoma City Thunder by DraftExpress.com.

“I get asked what I’m going to do every day,’’ Harris said. “I just say, ‘I don’t know.’ I’m going to go to workouts and do my best and not hold anything back.’’

Harris said working out with the team the past three weeks has let him know he has a “win, win” decision on his hands.

“Working out with the new coaches has been great,’’ Harris said. “It lets me know we’ll be working hard and will get better each day.’’

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

Well that stinks!

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

Well, after reading the article again, sounds like Harris is probably set, but I think he returns to UT. Hopson, not so much and don't really care. He's not a team player anyway. He's crazy if he doesn't return to get another year of experience. He'll never see the floor in LA (except maybe face first).

okievol1 writes:

Both need to return for another year. Hopson is iffy to make it to the next level but with a great senior year could improve his chances. On the other hand perhaps the much hyped but too infrequent splashes of stellar play from Hopson need to just go. Harris however might do himself a favor and go if he is projected in the first 20.

OrangePride writes:

I would like to think that a very late second round to not being picked at all projection would bring Hopson back....it certainly would most NBA hopefuls. As for Tobias, I think he would markedly improve his draft stock with a year under Coach Martin, but he still might go now if someone can convince him the dollars will be there. Plus, I think his family has been very keen on the idea of his leaving Tennessee for the NBA. So we will see in a few weeks. No matter which way this goes, Tennessee will look very different next year and we will see if can generate similar fan excitement to the Pearl era teams.

kevin151 writes:

Hopson will be playing in Europe in a year or 2.....

ChrisUTvol writes:

in response to kevin151:

Hopson will be playing in Europe in a year or 2.....

I agree with that Kevin.

callforlogic2 writes:

We can only hope that some foolish NBA ream will call Scottie's name. Better for Scottie; better for UT.

abnerPeabody writes:

Harris could recieve some up front money.Second rounders do not.I really think Harris should stay in College for one more year.Without injuries he could recieve a larger bonus.Hopson,well let's just say he should stay another 4 or 5 years and that still would not earn him any draft money.

I do wish both the very best either way.

If I had an opportunity,I know what I would do.Thank you Tobbis and Scotty for choseing Tennessee and I really do hope you are both successful in your decisions.

dlukinbeck writes:

for all the hating that goes out to scotty, his inconsistencies and powting... theres no denying that when his game was on, man he could get it done. he pretty much single-handedly brought us back into that game against vandy at vandy. although id like to see him a little more consistent, i'd love to see him back in knoxville for his senior year with a little added discipline from coach zo. we'll see how that works out tho...

As for Tobias, it'd be b.a to have him back as well. He's projected to go high first round but if anything I think he stays to give the new coaching staff and try to make up for that "could-be" last game of his college career -- kid got shut down 2nd half

SouthernBoiNOLA writes:

Wow.....
Is anyone gonna at least show a little support to Hobson and Harris. Even if you disagree with the decision, at least you could give them a good luck or something. And all this phooey about the Vols being a better team with out Hobson is BS. Please tell me of one team that wouldn't want an All-SEC player on their squad. (SMH)

SeanJean writes:

No offense to Scotty, he's a nice kid from all I've heard, but we're a better team with Tobias over him, no question. Tobias is a better player in every way, plain and simple. They both need the ball and Tobias is far more consistent and well rounded. Best case scenario for the Vols is that Scotty leaves and Tobias comes back.

MikeInTN writes:

Wishing them the best if they decide to go!!!

VOLliven2it writes:

Wouldn't it be great to know you have to "declare your intentions to UT athletic director Mike Hamilton?" I have no idea what these two will do. They have the freedom and prerogative to do as they will. I wish them both the best whatever they choose. But...it seems likely both would benefit from returning for another year at UT. The team likely would benefit also. We have to consider how they have to face the unknown if they let May 8th go by and do not go pro. With a new head coach and who knows what from the NCAA, it is a precarious decision. We wait and see. A whole new era has begun. It will be more specifically shaped when the NCAA gives its final ruling.

vet4ut writes:

in response to kevin151:

Hopson will be playing in Europe in a year or 2.....

Hopefully, one of Scotty's pre-arranged classes was "Rosetta Stone - Ukranian". That'll be a tough transition without knowing the language of that country...

TennVol01 writes:

Harris is ready for the NBA, despite the fact that Pearl has yet to get a player on any squad in the NBA. Hopson needs another year to prove to the NBA that he can be consistent and win. Hopson may be drafted, but he cannot make an NBA roster the way he plays today. Europe bound.

Ironcity writes:

I thought they already did this. This was a formality. I hope they come back, I think its in their best interest to come back. I really believe that if they do come back we will have a pretty good team. Especially if Jones gets in school. If they choose to go I will wish them well.

FearlessFreep writes:

Time for Scottie to brush up on that Turkish.

Tobias *should* come back for another year, but it's hard to argue with being a first-round selection.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I don't think we've had any players in the last 20 years that given a 1st round opp. they wouldn't have gone pro. Harris may be one that'll stay. I only say that because he seems to know he has things to learn.
As for Hopson...there were times he played like a pro and times he was a wimp. A part of growing up and also distractions playing a role I suppose. I disagree with those that think he can't play pro. But I also agree with those who think he could gain by playing another year. The coaches may put up with his tantrums somewhat but the players will tear him up. We need him and Harris but again I think we'll be ok if they go. We'll be in the NCAAs if they stay.

MusicCityVol writes:

Sure would be nice if they return but I can't imagine that either one of them will. Scotty is ready to move on and Tobias' stock is high enough to be a first rounder. I hate this time from late April until the end of July where both Vols football and basketball news is slow coming.

Blog Dog Days Begin

adamsmith5529#630125 writes:

hopson will not be drafted.....he will be the dennis rogan of basketball!!!!!!!!!!

lbern1 writes:

congratulations to both. hope they have great pro careers

JDL211 writes:

in response to ChrisUTvol:

I agree with that Kevin.

and you two will still be on here playing with your goofy one eye.

hallsguy writes:

Getting to the NBA is about what is between the ears and luck. Everybody in the league is a good ball player unless the are over 7' tall.
Harris has far more drive and ability than Scotty ever will and he still needs at least another year of college. Scotty doesn't have a clean shot and likely will be in Turkey or Russia if he doesn't stay and get some muscle and discipline to his game. And learn what defense is.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

When has he ever thrown a temper-tantrum?

cdldoc#211897 writes:

From the tone of these posts, it sounds like the negativity of VolNation has leaked over into GVX. Usually there is support and respect for the players and coaches here.

Simply_Orange51 writes:

Some of the folks writing comments here need to take a "Chill" pill. This was discussed in an article weeks ago that they had to declare their intentions before the draft and then could recend if they decided to stay. If I were Scotty or Tobias and read some of the things folks say on this thread, I'd want to leave and never come back. Greatness is forged in the Fires of Experience and Time. Both Scotty and Tobias will be better players with another year in college. If they decide to go; well, I wish them well. Maybe in 18 years or so, they might have a son or daughter who might be interested in Tennessee BB - I want them both to have nothing but great memories of the University of Tennessee. GBO

volsnationalchamps writes:

I wish both best either which way they go... Hope they come back. Hard to imagine Harris coming back projected mid 1st rd, thats quite bit of $ guaranteed. Hopson, should definitly come back but either way don't see him in NBA this yr or next. He can make dang good living over seas though like many other former vols. Nothing wrong with that at all. He can make six figures playing ball go for it. He could come back get better as well as Harris and improve there game. That would help both players but I understand it if they both leave. Good luck to both of you!!! Go Vols

GONAVY writes:

Harris as the number 19 pick if that holds true may choose to go. As for Hopson, I agree with the Rossetta Stone comment on Ukranian... he is not a pro now; maybe never. However, judging by their choices as to classroom work- Harris has attended, Hopson- I love this: pre-arranged absences and agreements with his professors- (translates into I'm an athlete and will be readily passed if I return) I would conclude Harris may be back and Hopson is long gone...literally, as to the Ukraine.

VOLDoll writes:

Hard to imagine how much higher these kids could have gone in the draft had they actually played for a coach that had a clue how to develop players. I know all Vol fans have to feel for these boys. It's a shame that Pearl made that kind of money but cost his players their careers.

bvdisc writes:

Wow, way to go "Vol fans". Obviously Harris has more NBA potential than Scotty, but the guy who said he was way more consistant than Scotty needs to go back and refresh himself on the several no show second halves that Tobias had this year. The Vols will be better with BOTH of these guys returning. Tobias will have a very frustrating year being the only scorer on the team. The hate that some Vols have for Vol players is unbelievable. Hopson needs work to be an NBAer for sure, but he is a Vol and I wish him success. The best thing Tobias can do is go pro, because if he stays here any longer, Vol fans will start to hate him like they do everyone else not named Manning.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

I guess you just proved that anyone can say anything in this forum. The job of our coach is to win games, not to develop talent for the NBA. Scotty is just Scotty. It is not Pearl's doing. Some kids develop late and some do not.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Hopson needs to come back down from wherever he's at and settle back into reality. Even if he's lucky enough to get drafted, he won't last very long in the NBA without alot of work.

I couldn't blame Harris for going. He's a first round lock. It still doesn't mean he'll have longevity in the NBA though, but I see him being at worst a contributor for an NBA team already.

Even if I weren't a UT fan, I would suggest both come back for 1 more year. Hopson is a must, Harris just to raise his stock into the lottery for next year. He could jump his pay up tremendously by just coming back for 1 more college season. Plus UT would be an SEC contender with the incoming players + these 2 guys coming back. Win - Win situation.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

LOL! And people wonder why other schools make fun of our basketball program. Maybe thats the reason AAU coaches told NBA prospects to stay the hel! away from Pearl. He was not here to develop talent? My goodness, we have to have the dumbest darn fans in all of the SEC! Was not here to develop talent? Now that is funny.

allvollego writes:

I think some people are jumping to conclusions on both players. First off everyone knew that both would submit their names to be entered into the NBA draft, but there are many things that underclassmen must look at when they enter the draft that has absolutely nothing to do with their skill set. The first thing that has to be looked at is who else is in the draft. Speaking in regards to Tobias Harris, although he could hone his skills another year, players such as Sullinger, Perry Jones,and other top PFs and hybrid forwards are returning to school. This is a weak draft when it comes to talent, and could offer the best chance to be a higher pick. Hopson is thinking the same but even still he is not a projected 1st round pick. The next thing that could bring these guys back is the stability of the NBA and a potential lock out. Players don't get paid to sit at home. This is also a deciding factor. The last thing that has to be on both of their minds is next year's class. With 5-7 potential lottery forwards returning to school as well as the incoming hybrid and PFs becoming eligible next year, do you really want to gamble that either your season isnt up to par or theirs is far superior. When you weigh the options out, I would have to say that both of those guys are gone.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

Seriously young lady, go hang out on a cheerleading board. Obviously you're talking about something you dont have a damn clue about, SPORTS. LOL!

murrayvol writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

"leaked over into GVX"?? More like a tsunami.

kantanuuv writes:

These two fine young men are within reach of a dream they've had since playing pickup games on their driveway as little kids, and the general consensus is to condemn them as traitors and scrubs.

Another myth of UT fandom is exposed as a joke: "Vol For Life."

cdldoc#211897 writes:

VD, you are the gift that keeps giving. You make me laugh. You must be a kittiekat in a blue dress running around chasing your own tail and makeing unfounded assertions of no value. SHHHH! Be quiet and chase your blue tail.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Actually I admitted a long time ago that I was wrong about Pearl. I thought he was a good coach and as everyone knows I was dead wrong!

VOLDoll writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

Hey it's OK. Like you I didnt know shiot about sports until I got married. Maybe you should stop posting until you learn about sports because it's obvious to everyone that you dont have a clue. lol!
Have a great night ladies!

jjsteel writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

Well that stinks!

not really. Look at the big picture.

in response to allvollego:

All the talk of an NBA lockout puts all the college guys who are contemplating coming out this year in a terrible bind. The timing could not be worse for these guys. The deadline for returning to college is May 8. The NBA draft won't be until late June at the earliest. A final decision about a lockout won't come until AFTER the draft, but if it comes, the teams can't sign the draftees. In any ordinary year, a guy projected as a first-rounder would be crazy to come out. THIS year, it is the biggest roll of the dice of their lives. I would have used the most common term for a dice game, but the stupid GVX "nanny-filter" would turn it into "phooey-shoot".

Sorry, I meant "crazy NOT to come out".

Slystone writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

Man, why the Hate? Let it go, it's their opportunity to go make some money. If this is what they want wish them well and move on.

VolNExile writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Sorry, I meant "crazy NOT to come out".

lol, wouldn't an "edit" function be handy here?? C'mon, KNS, add in an edit button, please.

I would love it if Tobias would come back, and I think that he would benefit from it, but there's the big if: IF he didn't get injured.

It's really hard to argue with the reality that an injury from playing an additional year of college ball could really hurt future income. It's not as bad for the guys as for the women (anatomy issue for women: knees are more vulnerable), but it would still be dumb to ignore the possibility.

I'd like to see both guys come back, but it's their decisions, not ours. Whatever they decide, good luck to them, and thanks for what they've done for UT Bball.

GBO!

orangevoltrain writes:

I don't care what anyone says I wish both Tobias And Scotty the best, No matter what they decide stay or go I will support that decision and cheer for them. We as Vols fans need to support their decision no matter what they decide!!!! THEY ARE VOLS FOR LIFE, and if you as fans can not support them or any other Vols players that leave to go pro then you are not a true Vol fan!!!

doctorvol#211700 writes:

in response to SeanJean:

best scenario is they both return, period.

ChrisUTvol writes:

in response to JDL211:

and you two will still be on here playing with your goofy one eye.

Give us your take on the situation GENIUS.

VolNationPride writes:

I wish them both luck on whatever they decide. Bottom line is they need to do what they feel is best, it is their lives.

Everyone here gives Scotty a hard time, but how would you feel if people were giving you a hard time on your every move, you wouldn't like it very much. Scotty has potential, he needs to grow and mature but the potential is there to be a good ball player in the pro's. I don't see him as a superstar, but a good player at the next level.