Florida's Janoris Jenkins kicked off team

Tennessee's Tauren Poole (28) runs around Florida's Janoris Jenkins (1) during second half action Saturday, Sept. 18, 2010 in Neyland Stadium in Knoxville.

Photo by Michael Patrick

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Will Muschamp sent a strong message to his team Tuesday by dismissing star cornerback Janoris Jenkins.

Jenkins was kicked off the team after his third arrest in less than two years, his second in the past four months.

Muschamp’s decision makes it clear he won’t tolerate the off-the-field issues that plagued the Gators during former coach Urban Meyer’s tenure. The Gators had 30 arrests involving 27 players during Meyer’s six seasons.

One of those included Jenkins. Police used a stun gun when arresting Jenkins in May 2009, and he was charged with affray and resisting arrest without violence. Jenkins signed a deferred prosecution agreement, receiving probation and community service.

But his last two arrests were on marijuana possession charges.

Jenkins was charged with marijuana possession Saturday after a Gainesville Police officer spotted the 22-year-old sitting in a parked car, smoking what the officer later found to be a marijuana cigar.

Jenkins was arrested on the same charge in January and later accepted a plea deal.

Muschamp said he met with Jenkins on Tuesday, and both felt it was in Jenkins’ best interest to move on “to the next stage of his career.”

“We appreciate Janoris’ contributions to the University of Florida during his time here and wish him the best of luck,” Muschamp said in a statement.

Jenkins, considered one of the top cornerbacks in the Southeastern Conference, decided in January to return to school for his senior season. He’s a three-year starter who played most of last season with a torn labrum in his right shoulder. He missed the Outback Bowl following surgery.

Despite the injury, Jenkins enjoyed his best season. He pretty much shut down the league’s best receivers. Georgia’s A.J. Green, Alabama’s Julio Jones and South Carolina’s Alshon Jeffery averaged 38 yards receiving against Jenkins and had one touchdown between them.

Many believed Jenkins would leave early. But after Muschamp took over and hired several assistants with NFL backgrounds, Jenkins opted to stay in school, rehab his shoulder and possibly improve his draft stock this fall. Now, he likely will enter the NFL supplement draft.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

easleychuck writes:

Good timing for him with the draft coming up. NFL is fine with an occasional toke.

BOGO writes:

See ya!

iadvol writes:

Loser

iadvol writes:

jinx..classic

RoadTrip writes:

Shocked and tazed at this development.

DooleysOrangePants writes:

i guess ut isnt the only school with problems. cue the trolls...

chrisw2967 writes:

the trolls will come on here and tell us that with Muschump running the show that Jenkins would of never seen the field and they didnt need him anyways.

Jovol642 writes:

Well, here we have another Pahokee, Fla. casualty. Must be something in the water or (weed). Some people are not college material. We live in a sports crazed society that worships any young person that can play sports. Playing sports doesn't mean that you are higher education material. How many young people are there who are capable of coming up with a cure for cancer and other cures and aren't allowed to study at a higher level because the money goes to some pot smoking hood that can carry a football. We have a screwed up value system in America and we worship the wrong things. So very sad

tennrich1 writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

So, let me see - You are predicting other players to get arrested as well? Am I reading your usage of tenses properly?

voloffaith writes:

in response to NachoDaddy_76:

Thank you nacho for cueing up Steve Miller band hit.

On topic,sad that talented youngins just keep listening to the wrong voice and blowing(no pun intended) great opportunities their God-given talent affords them.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Mama_calls_you_Precocious you just misundestood thinking precious. I'll say it with ewe now..."Pride comes b4 the fall." In other words,humility is a better choice in the Big Picture of life. Having confidence is ok if proper credit is given to the source of whatever redeeming qualities we possess. It is a big deal as I stated earlier that mister jenkins has muffed up badly and obviously in his own strength can't kick the weed habit. So even if a gator I am saddened for his family who is probably heartbroken over his poor life choices.

Cldvols1 writes:

Even though I dislike UF very much I hate to hear it for them. Maybe this young man will get his priorities straight. Let's face it, if Coach Meyer were still there he'd be suspended for the first half of the first game! Now Go Vols!!!

govols1234567 writes:

I just got a lot of respect for Muschamp on his decision. Meyer would have let it slide without a second thought. Florida fans may find this disappointing to lose Jenkins, but at least this is a first step to getting some order and helping florida maintain off field issues

JWilly writes:

This guy is another Urbie, thug du jour recruit. I cannot believe the OSU will be that interested in a coach that has a history of recruiting thugs and criminals. however, that does seem to be the conventional wisdom if they get rid of the Vest.

RoadTrip writes:

A song from HW, Jr. came to mind as I read about Mr. Jenkins and the UF/Urbie family:

"Stop and think it over
Try and put yourself in my unique position
If I get stoned and sing all night long
It's a family tradition!"

Muschamp has his work cut out for him.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

"...isn't that big of a deal", huh? If this were your son, would you think it was "that big of a deal"? I stated on another thread a couple days ago that whether we are Vols, Gators, Red Elephants, Bulldogs...whatever, we need people in charge of these young men who have their best interests at heart. I see that in Will Muschamp so far, just as I see it in Derek Dooley.

You need to give it a rest, "precious". All you come here for is to talk smack and make a fool of yourself. Well, you've outdone yourself this time. Time for you to hang it up, unless you can convince these young men and their parents that it's "not that big of a deal" that they're squandering away a golden opportunity. We ALL need to learn that this ain't just about football...it's about LIFE!

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

drgreear writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Yes its not a big deal that UF just lost their biggest star on Defense, it isnt a big that Florida doesnt have a QB and its not a big deal that Florida will be lucky to be 6-6 this year.

IDIOT

GO VOLS

Bigger_Al writes:

Mushchomp lays down the law. You can't get arrested threee times in a year and play for the Gators.

hep writes:

where's that joke of a poster, bodeanevol? hahaha!

claiborneh writes:

A teacher, artist, police officer, preacher, or entrepreneur will struggle to make the mortgage this month. This kid will soon be driving a Bentley while smoking a weed cigar with a gold chain around his neck. All the above will read about him and buy tickets to see him, and their kids will wear his jersey.

Halls3 writes:

Big loss because Jenkins is by far a Top 10 draft pick, drug issues or not. However, it's very refreshing to see a coach not give star players tons of chances. Maybe now Dooley will take a similar stance when star players get in trouble.

Halls3 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Let's see Jackson has quit school & missed spring practice. It's also been said multiple times by Dooley he would be welcomed back with open arms, meaning he would have his starting job. Don't play dumb we all know what's happening. He's coming back this fall. The only reason he left is b/c of drug issues & that's a fact & has been reported. He was going to get kicked out of school b/c of getting caught with drugs in his room b/c that's UT policy not opinion. He got out so he could re-enroll this fall b/c if kicked out, he wouldn't have been allowed to enroll in the fall. Smart by Dooley to have Jackson do that, that's why he has a law degree b/c he's smart. Only problem I have is the fact he isn't a stiff disciplinarian like he acts. The fact is UT has had some major issues off the field already under him & he has yet to really send a stiff message of discipline. I have to give Muschamp props, at least he kicked off his best player. Whether he's successful or not, Muschamp already has my success b/c he's obviously not gonna put up with bs like most coaches.

commonman writes:

in response to FLVOL69:

Getting arrested for chocking your girlfriend and you don't even miss spring practice (Dooly discipline)

dislikethemtrolls writes:

in response to Halls3:

Is that you CANTSTOPLOVINGSABAN? Give it to Muschamp for kicking somebody off who has three arrests? Really? Genius!!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

I question the Muschamp hire, but I have to give him credit on this one..He isn't putting up with this guy's antics or anyone's for that matter(just from the way he handled this situation).

Smokey is still on the prowl..

Halls3 writes:

in response to dislikethemtrolls:

Jenkins is a Top 10 draft pick talent wise & the best player on UF's team by far. Most coaches would never kick him off. Heck Dooley didn't even suspend Smith for the Memphis game after he assaulted someone at a bar. He didn't even suspend Brewer for Spring Practice. Do you want me to keep going? If you're gonna praise Dooley as a disciplinarian you have to praise Muschamp for kicking Jenkins off.

BobKesling_is_overpaid writes:

in response to voloffaith:

His family is probably smoking weed too.

VolBy3 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

A good coach will always try to do what's best for the young person involved. In both cases the correct action was taken. Muschamp and Dooley set a high standard for our conference. I hope others follow.
As for you, listen to what your mother says. It's time for a bath and beddy-bye.

VOLliven2it writes:

in response to Halls3:

Let's see Halls3 "that's a fact and has been reported" where? I have not seen a report on JJ having drugs in the dorm. Maybe I missed it. Let's see, post your proof when you make clams such as these. Let's see, I'll believe JJ is coming back when I see it. Let's see, there was Darren Myles and...oh maybe some others Dooley didn't discipline. Let's see...with our eyes what happens. If Mussychamp has your succeess, whatever that means just change your name to HallsGator3.

VolBy3 writes:

in response to Halls3:

You sure do a poor job of connecting the dots. Maybe a sharper crayon will help? Those are the facts, Jack!

Vols Win!

VOLliven2it writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

BodeanenotVol--please go disrepect our head football coach on another sight. Neither you nor I nor the fabulous experts at KNS know all details on any of the things which take place with these coaches and players. So what a self-righteous bunch we all can be when we DO NOT HAVE to make choices they must make almost weekly.

DennisVols writes:

Smokin in the boys room, Smokin in the boys room.
Now Muschamp don’t feel me up with your rules
Cause everybody know that smoking ain’t allowed in school
Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

VolBy3 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Pick and chose carefully. You wont find much in your favor for long. And if Vandy had any sites for fans, I guess you wouldn't be here.

Halls3 writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

Jimmy Hyams reported it in December on Sports Talk. I would assume he wouldn't make that up. JJ may not come back but I would say it's in the works the way Dooley continued to say he would be welcomed back with open arms. Darren Myles assaulted a cop & had to go. However, why wasn't Brewer at least suspended for the spring? Why wasn't Smith suspended for the Memphis game? Because Dooley is a big talker but doesn't want to walk the walk. I understand depth is an issue but Smith wasn't even a starter & didn't see a single game on the bench. Muschamp is clearly not gonna put up with bs, even if it's a great player. That's refreshing considering some of the phooey players at all schools get away with. Hell, Iowa had 18 arrests in 18 months a little over 2 years ago & I question why it was never reported, but I also question how a team could be so out of control. Why wasn't that coach held to a higher standard? No idea but he should have been.

everydayisorange writes:

in response to Halls3:

If as you say, Hyams reported it in Dec., then why was it not posted in print in KNS or other TN newspapers? The answer is simple, he didn't say it. This kind of news would have been everywhere, especially ESPN! I don,t listen to Hyams because of his spectulation on subjects concerning UT. Eventually, it will come out what the problem is, and when it does not mention drugs, I along with every other VFL will expect an apology! I wont hold my breathe!

ArealVolFan writes:

Its laughable the amount of misinformation some of these morons run with. Good Spin doctors though, always going to have a job with the republicans telling the world how everyone else is bad.

dislikethemtrolls writes:

in response to everydayisorange:

I agree Orange. KNS would be all over that story. They wouldn't want to miss something like that. I would think ESPN would be camped out also. Some serious charges again Jackson and Coach to be tossing around with no factual proof.

Halls3 writes:

in response to everydayisorange:

Call me a liar that's fine. Here is a link to his twitter page verifying what I have said. I am expecting an apology. But I won't hold my breathe.

Bigger_Al writes:

MushChomp. Not much teeth in that bite.

dislikethemtrolls writes:

Muschomp and the Gators suk.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

You have my vote for best post.

Halls3 writes:

Wow no one comments on the truth I post yet I'm a liar. Someone please apologize or prove me wrong. You can't because I'm right. JJ was in trouble for drugs & has been going through rehab in order to get himself straight. I absolutely have to commend him for that b/c he needs to get right & get on the field. Maybe Jenkins needed the same thing. Either way, I expect JJ to be out in fall camp practicing, whether or not he is off of drugs.

GoVols025 writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

You still spreading that Muschamp/UT junk? Even Muschamp denies it! We've told you before, Muschamp was of no interest to UT. UT required their head coach to have head coaching experience. Gata standards were obviously lower. What in the world was that Fooly guy thinking when he hired those two clowns?

VOLS_and_REDSOX_4ever writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

You are not #1 in baseball.
Our basketball team swept your "great team"
and was ranked top 10 last year.
I mean good try stupid.

dislikethemtrolls writes:

in response to InDestruCtible:

Get over it DC. Nobody on here cares about Muschump but you trolls. Personally if they did offer him the job, which I don't think they did, I'm glad he declined. You will understand why this fall. Bank on it.

dislikethemtrolls writes:

in response to Halls3:

Guess you need to have a twitter account to see that. If Hyams has proof to back up whatever claim he's made, then I'll apoligize. But if it's just he said she saids speculation, that won't count. I can do that. I'm just saying if it was factually proven, then we would all know about it. Lord knows, we've seen our share of reporting of the bad stuff this past year.

CCLC writes:

Took a UGA man to finally do the right thing at UF!!! Kudos to CM on living up to his committment

DC_Vol writes:

in response to Mama_Calls_Me_Precious:

Losing Janoris Jenkins is a huge deal, this decision should cost Florida at least two close games in my opinion, so add two additional Florida losses this year. I am beginning to actually like a Florida coach for the first time.

Secondly, based on you comments, all the cornerbacks, at UF are same, so I agree with you all should be tested for illegal drug use. Also, they should test Janoris Jenkins roommate as well.

Muschamp make sure to pull hair samples for the illegal drug testing for all the cornerbacks. Then kick them all off the team. LOL

stormblast writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

No, they themselves make America bad. It's their allied media outlets that broadcast it.

stormblast writes:

I might go see the Vols play in the swamp next year. I'm not sure though. I'll be there to see a ball game, and a Cheech and Chong movie will break out.