Luke Stocker taken by Tampa Bay; Denarius Moore by Oakland

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley greets Luke Stocker as part of senior day before the Kentucky game at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 27, 2010. UT won the game 24-14.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Derek Dooley talks about Luke Stocker

The NFL draft part went on without Tennessee longer than normal.

Luke Stocker finally broke the ice on Saturday.

After a long wait, the former Vols tight end finally heard his name called at Radio City Music Hall in New York when Tampa Bay tabbed him with pick No. 104 in the fourth round.

One round later, wide receiver Denarius Moore was selected by the Oakland Raiders.

Stocker was projected to go as early as the second round, but his slide and the absence of any of his teammates through two days of picks represented the first time since 2004 the Vols didn't have a player selected during the opening three rounds.

But the Buccaneers ended the drought for UT and landed a tight end ranked in the top three at his position by analysts on both networks broadcasting the draft this weekend.

"Luke is an in-line, all-around tight end who can really do everything well," UT coach Derek Dooley said Friday. "Add to that he’s got really good stature, size and speed. He’s got phenomenal competitive and off-the-field character, and so I think that I’m expecting him to get picked (Friday). It would surprise me if he doesn’t.

"We’re going to miss Luke, and I think one of the advantages for him, too, is everyone of the pro offenses got to see Luke doing everything that they’re going to ask him to do. I think that’s one of the real values of our offense – I think it gives our players a great evaluation for the next level."

Oakland made a move on Moore, a seemingly perfect match between a speedy target and an organization that has always prized athleticism in the draft, with the 148th pick.

Moore dealt with inconsistency throughout his career with UT, but he posted a handful of huge games as a senior that flashed his great potential as a down-field threat - which was apparently enough to impress the Raiders.

"He’s fast," Dooley said. "His speed, his 40 time and obviously he’s got explosive-play ability, which is important up at that level. It’s just going to be what offense and where he fits in.

"He only had really a five-game stretch with great production, and so there will be questions about why. But I think both of those guys are very capable and are going to have good careers."

For more on the Vols and the NFL Draft, check back to http://www.govolsxtra.com, read Sunday's News Sentinel or follow @Vols_Beat on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

kcbigorngX writes:

Congratulations, Luke.

You will be getting a lot more playing time when the brand new D-line hits the field for your Bucs.

tree_em_smokey writes:

You will be great in the NFL! I wish you were still a sophmore and we had you for another couple years! GBO!!!

huntined#565710 writes:

I get to go to two games a year in Tampa so will be good to see him. Hope he does real well there.

Bogus writes:

D-Mo just taken in the fifth round by (gasp) the Raiders. That sucks for him.

stormblast writes:

Congratulations Luke. You were a solid Vol. You worked through the injuries to become a great college tight end. I know you will represent Tennessee well in the NFL. Thanks.

rivieravol writes:

But, but, I thought back in 07 we had the greatest recruiter in the history of college football who signed this class. Not one player in the first 105 picked?

SEC1 writes:

hello 5* recruit my name is dereck doooley want to come to tn and play in the music city bowl and have the chance to become a 4th or 5th round draft pick? what you think 5* recruit?

thevoice writes:

Can anyone exercise enough confidence and self-control to refrain from feeding the troll above? Sure would be nice to clean up the board.

stormblast writes:

in response to SEC1:

"Hello Govols.com. My name is SEC1. I finally finished pumicing grandma's corns and the cats are starting to get bored of me. I find myself wanting to logon because no one in person cares what I have to say. I have no legitimate site for my team's school to go to so I spend my loneliness on here."

Howling mockery at you is becoming boring. Get some help mate.

stormblast writes:

in response to thevoice:

I keyed this before I saw your post. I agree. My apologies.

RollTideJoe writes:

SEC1, I'm a Crimson Tider all the way but frankly your posts are obnoxious and do nothing but stir hate between the programs. It is fine to love your team, defend them, but you antagonize people. The only time I speak out is when someone is bashing my team, but not otherwise. I would encourage you to back off some, man. All you do is make people hate our team.

Bogus writes:

in response to SEC1:

hello 5* recruit my name is will zooooook, want to come to UF and back up other 5*'s while we struggle to win 7 games and lose at home to Mississippi State? You can be coached on offense by the only guy ever known to have eaten a Golden Corral out of business.

5* recruit: "Nah, I'm going to FSU. UF's days are over."

RollTideJoe writes:

And to the Vol fans that love to refer to Alabama as Alabubba, you are in the same bracket as SEC1. Show a little respect. Enjoy football, love your team, but do it without such hate for other programs. Enjoy rivalries, but cut out the hate. It's the fun, winning some, losing some, but enjoying the great SEC traditions without such anger. The only time I speak out is when those of you that make such hateful comments post; then I defend my team, but lighten up.

DenverVol writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Thanks for speaking up Joe. Feeling pretty awful for your state after all those storms. The devastation is gut wrenching.

On subject, proud of Luke and DeMo for getting drafted. I know they would have liked to gone sooner but still...to have a chance to make big money to play a game, don't matter what round they were drafted...it's still awesome. GO VOLS!

dislikethemtrolls writes:

I understand what you are saying Joe, but the morons who like to hang out here, for what reason I'll never understand, they just stir us Vol fans up and things get said. I've done it myself, but only out of disdain for the likes of SEC1, all the Z'z and Cantstandsaban, just to name a few. I well remember growing up in the 13 game losing streak we had to Bama. Very frustrating times. Hope to never live thru anything like that again. Rivalries are fun and a lot more enjoyable when they are fierce and competitive. I do hate Vandy though. Every once in a few decades that we lose to them, it's like the sky is falling at my house, lol. Prayers for all those affected by the storm in Tideland.

69grad writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Class.

GtotheGrizzle writes:

Congrats to Stocker & Moore for getting drafted. I think Oakland got a great pick in Moore...very underrated receiver with good speed and a great deep threat to boot. Moore always reminded me as a Stallworth/Price type receiver. Not a Bucs or a Raiders fan, but will be rooting for them none the less. GBO!!

ArealVolFan writes:

lol spin doctors hard at work. Better enjoy it while it last probably one more year. After that Vols will be all over the first 3 rounds and beyond.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

we haven't dropped off anywhere dummy. You and SEC1 can go get a room and trade slobbers somwhere else. Let's talk about the # of Volunteers in the league as a whole....yeah set there and spew your trap, but hey UT, VAndy and Kentucky a toss up? Let's look a the w/l match up of the three for the past 10 years. Yup, you are still Vandy and Kentucky is still Kentucky, always standing in line behind UT

jjack61 writes:

we need a tiny bit more talent to compete in the SEC with the likes of Fla, Bama , LSU, Auburn,etc. It seemed as if the whole LSU defence was drafted before Stocker ( who is a good player) I hope it gets better. If we continue on like this- it wont be pretty.

VolNationPride writes:

in response to SEC1:

How are all those 5* recruits working out for you in the NFL? Oh yeah, that's right, more busts than stars. All those great Florida players, riding the pine!

VolNationPride writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Don't know what you are smoking, the seniors that came out of this class are Fulmers recruits. So basically, you are dissing your boy Fulmer.

Been proven many times over, doesn't matter what round you go, as long as you go. It's the work ethic that the guys put in that will give them play time. Rounds only = money, no more no less. Can be the number 1 pick, doesn't guarantee playtime.

I personally like to see the SEC having more than half of the first 10 picks. Just shows what a great conference it is.

everydayisorange writes:

in response to ALLVOLNC:

Glad to see Vols fans seeing this person for who he is! Herman ( HERM THE GERM ) Mathews reguritates more garbage with absolutely nothing to back it up! HERM THE GERM contaminates every thread on govolsxtra with his deseased mind!

stormblast writes:

Everyone. CantStandSaban is back flaunting Vanderbilt on this board. The tea party must have ended late or he would have been here earlier.

Please remember, he dogged Tennessee and Alabama's universities on the Tornado article. Let's save our breath and ignore the poser. Please no one, no matter what school you are for, do not reply to his posts.

Classlessness does not merit or deserve valid opinions from Vols, Tide, or anyone on the board.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to slaw_way:

The only time I've shot back was when someone like you strikes up the hate first. You check it out, friend. My posts are not hateful. I've defended by team against insults a few times, but I'm not a hatemonger. I invite you to check your own.

jimr07 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

What? You are hardly the voice of compassion. what a joke.

jimr07 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Yeah, and Vandy had so many taken.

ScrewKiffin writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Why do you even have an account on here? This is a Tennessee site not an Alabubba one.

Yeah, thats right!!!!! I went there!!!!

jimr07 writes:

in response to VolNationPride:

Most likely as a response to the grief Texas players take for under-performing in the NFL, the Houston Chronicle's Lance Zierlein took at look at all the Florida Gators drafted by NFL teams since 2001. The results are pretty surprising.

To a man, nearly every pick (save maybe Alex Brown of the Bears) since 2001 out of Gainesville has been disappointing, up until Percy Harvin stopped the bleeding this season. The list of first and second round picks that amounted to nothing has been pretty staggering:

Gerard Warren, Kenyatta Walker, Lito Sheppard, Jabar Gaffney, Mike Pearson, Reche Caldwell, Rex Grossman, Taylor Jacobs, Ben Troupe, Keiwan Ratliff, Chad Jackson, Jarvis Moss, Reggie Nelson, Derrick Harvey, and Percy Harvin.

Other than Harvin, only Lito Sheppard has appeared in the Pro Bowl, and his play could be characterized as up and down. Everyone else on that list has underperformed. That's not exactly the best track record when talking about important draft picks from one school.

As guys like Joe Haden and Carlos Dunlap project to be taken in the first round -- even with major question marks surrounding both -- you've got to wonder if NFL scouts will take a look at the track record of the Gators that came before them

pammyvol1000 writes:

Fantabulous!!!!

jimr07 writes:

The trolls may want to watch a new series starting tonight on NFL Network. The 100 best players in the NFL in 2010 as picked by the players. Tenn-6 Florida-0 Alabama-0

kantanuuv writes:

4th and 5th rounders? Don't those guys make up the farm system for the Arena League?

kantanuuv writes:

The new Vole football team slogan:

"Still slightly better than Vandy!"

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

I don't see you jumping in on a bama web site every time one of your homers puts down another team. Are you scared to upset your own fan base?

You never hesitate to take a shot at the Orange when you think it's "funny".

It's too late to pretend you have class.

A hypocrite and a liar. You are just like most of the bubba fans, whether you want to admit it or not.

I've got twice as much respect for the true bubba fans who don't pretend to be anything else. You aint got half the balls that they do.

CoverOrange writes:

I have a hunch that the inconsistency of coaching staffs over the last 4 years had an effect on the play and subsequent evaluation of this year's class.

RTJ, I'm with ya.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

CONGRATS to our 2 VFL members for making it into the NFL!!!

Work hard and make us all proud li8ke you did playing for our Vols.

NOTE...Those that reply to the lowlife, useless trolls that only come here to stir up trouble because they have no lives and nothing else to do ARE a part of the problem.

The simple solution is NOT to reply to those pieces of human garbage and NOT to feed their need of attention.

If everyone will simply IGNORE them rather than to feed their need of attention then they will leave our Vols site and go elsewhere to feed their psychological misshapen needs.

VFL...GO BIG ORANGE!!!

kman29 writes:

in response to VolNationPride:

really? hmmm lets see.

Newest wave of Gator players...

QB- Tebow started last 3 games and looks to be 2011 starter
WR- Percy Harvin, 2009 rookie of the year and starting WR for Vikings
WR- Louis Murphy, starting WR for Raiders
WR- Riley Cooper, saw significant action with a couple starts last year with the Eagles
WR- Andre Caldwell, starting slot WR for Bengals last year
WR- David Nelson, started a few games for the Bills last year.
TE- Aaron Hernandez, started for Patriots last year and candidate for rookie of the year until getting hurt late in the season.
C- Maurkice Pouncey, started every game with Steelers last year
CB- Joe Haden, started every game at corner for the Browns
MLB- Brandon Spikes, significant contributor on Patriots defense last year
DE- Jermaine Cunningham, significant contributor on Patriots defense last year
DE- Carlos Dunlap, significant contributor on Bengals defense last year.

Should I continue?

Of all the players who entered the NFL the last couple years from the Gators, Major Wright is the only one I can think of who hasnt seen a lot of action.

jimr07 writes:

in response to kman29:

really? hmmm lets see.

Newest wave of Gator players...

QB- Tebow started last 3 games and looks to be 2011 starter
WR- Percy Harvin, 2009 rookie of the year and starting WR for Vikings
WR- Louis Murphy, starting WR for Raiders
WR- Andre Caldwell, starting slot WR for Bengals last year
WR- David Nelson, started a few games for the Bills last year.
C- Maurkice Pouncey, started every game with Steelers last year
CB- Joe Haden, started every game at corner for the Browns
MLB- Brandon Spikes, significant contributor on Patriots defense last year
DE- Jermaine Cunningham, significant contributor on Patriots defense last year
DE- Carlos Dunlap, significant contributor on Bengals defense last year.

Should I continue?

Would like to invite you to watch on NFL Network starting at the top of the hour the top 100 players playing now in the NFL. These players were chosen by the players themselves. Tenn-6. Florida-0 Alabama-0 Kent state had more than florida and alabama.

kman29 writes:

in response to jimr07:

First off, you do know that Joe Haden and Carlos Dunlap were already drafted LAST YEAR right? Secondly I would hardly call guys like Lito Sheppard a bust the guy was one of the best shut down corners when he entered the league injuries got to him after a few years and its affected him since.

Were there busts? sure! This time period conviently starts the season before Ron Zooks tenure 2002-2004. Once that era got corrected and you look at the players drafted since Meyer's first real recruiting class 2006 this article you speak of becomes garbage (Tebow, Harvin, Cooper, Hernandez, Haden, Spikes, Dunlap, Cunningham, Pouncey just to name a few) and all except Tebow are already past being considered busts with their performances last year and even then Tebow in his 3 starts played better than most thought he would.

And pre 2001? Please! do we even need to go there with the list of impact NFL players in the 90s with the likes of guys like Fred Taylor, Jevon Kearse, Mike Peterson ect..or 80s with Emmitt Smith, Neal Anderson, Wilbur Marshall to name a few?

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Tell us what part you play in any of this stuff? I have never seen your name associated with any team anywhere.You are a trouble maker that will someday be brought to your knees. How many draftees that played at any school is nothing to any of us that post.Only if you had a hand in their development.We didn't,you didn't.You have nothing to be proud of but you do have a lot that you should be ashamed of.Go to Church tomorrow and recieve everlasting life.That is the most important thing you can do in life.

kman29 writes:

in response to jimr07:

Congratulations on the fact that players who had potential at Tennessee were never coached up good enough to win anything. Enjoy your top 100 players! Alabama and Florida fans will continue to enjoy their national championships and of course continually beating Tennessee

VOLliven2it writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

RTJoe, I appreciate your desire for mutual respect. It is great, we all need to hear it. I am sorry you see the Alabubba as disrespect or hate. Any true Tennesseean worth his or her salt knows there are just as many Bubbas around Rocky Top as Tuscaloosa. I do a lot in jest toward other programs but even the ones I dislike or want to beat etc. I respect whole-heartedly. Thanks for your input but please know that some of us on here enjoy a little jab but mean it more in fun than as a put down. Hopefully, the mature ones of us can take some reasonable jabs ourselves.

VOLliven2it writes:

Well now that I've waded through the ridiculous postings back and forth with meaninglessness, I am happy for Luke Stocker with the Bucs and at least happy that D. Moore will get a chance to play on Sundays. The way some of you acted on here is disprespectful to the two guys mentioned in the article.

GoVols025 writes:

in response to SEC1:

For people like you life is sad ... even pitiful. Grow up.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Make the most of your opportunities guys!

Go Vols!

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to SEC1:

Did you say something?

abnermc writes:

Many of UT's top recruits that would be in this draft were no longer in the program due to many factors including the coaching changes. Remember we only had 66 on the squad last year & that included several walk-ons. What is apparent to me is the failure on the part of both Bama & Fla. last year. With all the talent they each had (all these top drafts plus the nfl talent still on their squads) Bama finished FOURTH in the west !! Fla with FOUR losses!! Sounds like Fla did the right thing to get a new coach. Bama ,on the other hand is stuck w/ Saban. UT is gonna be fine w/ Dooley & the whole league knows it . Here we come!!

VolzsFan writes:

In the past two years, Tenn has had 8 kids drafted. More than all but about 8-10 schools in America. Of course the man that has had more picked than any other in the SEC and during his tenure at UT lead the SEC in drafted players, the Hall of Famer Phil Fulmer, would have had many more picked had he been coaching them.....and Lane was not running off 40 total players of which several will be drafted from other schools.

Last year at this time, the draft experts did not know who Cam Newton, Farleigh and several other first rounders where. Many they had listed as first rounders waited many rounds to hear their name. In other words, the pro's cannot tell from year to year who will be picked because this is not a static thing. Of course the lay people believe it is....actually just not smart enough to know the difference.

Here is the state of our program. They fired the most successful coach in UT history. On of the top 5 most successful in SEC history. A man that brought more NFL players to his school than any other SEC coach with no in state talent. They now have a coach waiting on his first win over a winning program. He will not get the kids to come here that the big schools want like Phil did. Therefore, we are back to that bridesmaid 6-5 type team we have been all along pre Hall of Famer.

Enjoy.

VolzsFan writes:

By the way, the NFL did not draft the leading rusher of last year. I guess it is a perfect and scientific system.

cloudodust writes:

I too, wish we would have had more players from Atop Rocky drafted early and often but it doesn't alter the future of our program. It's just one of them cyclical things that only faze the fazeable. We'll have our fair share of draftees again in the future. Good luck to ALL draftees and free agents (Cunningham..?). Here's to hoping the NFL owners won't ask you to play Replacement Ball...