Mike Strange: Show-cause real threat to Pearl

Mike Strange
Former University of Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl and his wife, Brandy, watch the action during a Pilot Rocky Top League game at Bearden High School in 2010. The Pearls co-hosted a fundraiser for cancer awareness Saturday night.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Life goes on for Bruce Pearl. While he’s no longer Tennessee’s men’s basketball coach, he’s not hiding under a rock.

Saturday night Pearl was back in the spotlight — and back in Thompson-Boling Arena — co-hosting with wife Brandy a gala fundraiser for cancer awareness.

But on the professional front, UT fans who cheered his victories the past six years are wondering what the future holds for Pearl.

Pearl, no doubt, wonders as well.

When a coach runs afoul of the NCAA rules, his career is impacted. The impact can range from a stern letter for his personnel file all the way to a firing squad. Well, a metaphorical firing squad anyway.

Pearl’s case still is months from resolution. The allegations already have cost him his job at UT. But what about his next job?

He goes before the Committee on Infractions in June. Then he awaits the committee’s penalties.

The charge of unethical conduct is troublesome. If the NCAA hands down the dreaded show-cause penalty, his coaching future is in jeopardy.

A show-cause penalty would make it virtually impossible for a school to hire Pearl for the duration of the sanction. History hasn’t been kind to past recipients.

Minnesota’s Clem Haskins was hit with a seven-year show-cause in 1999. He hasn’t coached since and is retired to his cattle farm in Kentucky.

Dave Bliss was hammered with a 10-year show-cause penalty in 2003 at Baylor. These days he’s athletic director at a private academy in Bryan, Texas.

Lying to the NCAA got Indiana’s Kelvin Sampson a five-year show-cause penalty in 2008. He’s an NBA assistant who will be available again in 2013.

Todd Bozeman might be the first show-cause sanctionee to return to Division I coaching.

He was hit with an eight-year penalty in 1995 at California for lying to the NCAA. He passed the time as an NBA assistant and scout until 2006, when Morgan State hired him.

Five years later, he’s 102-65, and still at Morgan State.

A show-cause penalty can be appealed, usually to no avail. On Friday, the NCAA upheld its sanction against Southern Cal assistant football coach Todd McNair, a key figure in the Reggie Bush case.

But former Ohio State basketball coach Jim O’Brien fought and won. O’Brien was fired for several infractions, including lying, in 2004. He eventually won a lawsuit against the university and got two years knocked off his show-cause penalty.

He never coached again, though.

Rick Neuheisel is another survivor. Washington fired him as football coach in 2002 for, among other things, lying to investigators. The NCAA, however, stopped short of a show-cause penalty.

Neuheisel went to court and won a $4.5 million settlement from the school and the NCAA. After a stint as an NFL assistant, he returned to the big time at UCLA in 2008.

Basketball coach Jim Harrick was fired at UCLA for lying in 1997. But he lied to the school, not the NCAA. Thus, no show-cause. He sat out a year, got hired at Rhode Island and then at Georgia.

He resigned in the midst of another scandal in 2003, but it was his son and assistant, Jim Jr., who got a seven-year show-cause sanction.

And, meanwhile, Jim Calhoun coaches on at UConn, with a third national championship ring. All he got from the NCAA investigation was a three-game suspension. His aide, Beau Archibald, got the show-cause and the pink slip.

Pearl might dodge the show-cause bullet. He might not. His eight-game suspension, already served, is a unique wrinkle.

If he doesn’t get hammered — or if he does, but for not too long — he’ll be back on somebody’s bench whipping up the crowd.

So a lot of folks are watching to see how the NCAA punishes him.

Jim Tressel, for one.

Mike Strange may be reached at strangem@knoxnews.com or 865-342-6276. Follow him at http://twitter.com/strangemike44 and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/strange.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

paradisetaxi writes:

Your AWESOME Bruce ! All the best !

Catchone writes:

I hope for UTs sake Pearl gets at least a two year show cause (I do like Pearl and would have him back in a heart beat). How will it look if Pearl only gets probation and a stern letter for his personnel file and UT loses scholarships and the best coach in its history? The NCAA can always say "we never told you to firer Pearl" so don't blame us! Would UTs fans stand still for Pearl coaching at LSU, Ole Miss or SC next year or 2012? Like I said, UT fans better hope Pearl is slammed or we'll be the laughing stock of NCAA BB. I still think Tressel is the 1000lb gorilla in the room that is going to impact the NCAA decision on Pearl. Could there be a Fulmer curse hovering over the UT athletic department????

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

in response to Catchone:

Like the Cubs goat? Can we have a BBQ?

TommyJack writes:

BP has already paid dearly. Let it go.

ChrisUTvol writes:

in response to Catchone:

my answer,YES there could be.Good analysis Im4you.

OwensboroVol writes:

I hope Bruce Pearl gets the penalty he deserves, nothing. He is without a doubt the best BB coach in UT's history. His volunteer work in the community has been off the charts. In other words, he has done more for the Knoxville area than all of its previous BB coaches combined. I consider him to be a good and decent man who got caught up in the idiocy that is the NCAA rule book. I still think it was a major error for Tennessee to fire him. Hell would have frozen over before I would have given in to the NCAA. One thing that is certain, the NCAA is not going to be around for much longer unless it modernizes its rule book and starts administering its so called justice evenly and not in consideration of money. Just like it postponed the punishment for the Ohio State Players until after their Bowl Game. I would fire Martin in a second and rehire Pearl if I was given the opportunity!

tulelakevol writes:

Dang, I had just started to move on, and they bring up Pearl, like peeling off a newly formed scab. I still like Pearl, what he did for mens bball, elite 8, respect, look at big T and the Tat 5 trading company, that is way bigger than what Pearl did, even though lying is still lying, no matter what. Well, go Vols, and Coach Martin, and go Bruce Pearl!

BigVolinCarolina writes:

Pearl will get show-caused by the NCAA. I'm guessing it'll be somewhere in the range of 1-2 years. As young as he is and as successful as he's been, there is no doubt he will coach again.

I really hope he learns from this and doesn't make the same mistake. If he does learn, I believe he'll be back into college hoops soon. He'll be in a Final Four with someone before his coaching days are over, perhaps even holding the trophy when it's all said and done.

Too bad it'll never be at Tennessee. Best of luck, Coach Pearl. We are having to move on. Hope you are able to do so, as well.

1vavolfan writes:

Glad to see CBP still in town, maybe he gets a 2 year show cause, sits on his $900,000 and comes back in 3 years after a couple of miserable seasons of UT basketball. I wish Coach MArtin the best, but his recruiting to this point has been pretty miserable. We arent going to compete with UK and Florida with 3 star recruits.

KevDVol writes:

5 year show cause for Bruce. Cuonzo succeeds and goes to his "dream job" - Purdue. Pearl Jam 2.0 in Rocky Top 2016. Or not.

BleedsOrangeinMO writes:

Ok I'm going to write this and see how many times I get "jump on". I do appreciate ALL that Bruce has done for UT and the Knoxville area. He revived men's basketball at UT. However, if he were still the coach I don't see a very well recruited team for next year. There are many variables to consider. Tobias and Hopson would both probably be gone; we might have two new guards coming to UT for the next season, Oh yeah one will have to go to Jr. college to get his grades up, I just don't see that he was building a team that could return us to the NCAA's make get to the Elite 8 or better. And he did not recruit any "bigs" for the center spot. Would someone who REALLY knows please inform me (us). I'll hang up and listen.

VolNExile writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Yeah, it stinks that CCM didn't bother to get in his time machine and go back and get all the available 4's and 5's.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

Pearl is going to get some big checks whether he ever coaches for us or not. One of those will come from Mike Hambone just before he loses his job and the other will come from Mike Slime. God bless him, I hope he spends the money well. No coach was ever so repetitvely vilified and punished for a sports season like Pearl was. If Tressel keeps his job, double Bruce's payday.

flatrock writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

I really doubt his ex-wife and kids can agree with the first half of your comment; the NCAA rule book certainly has potholes- but it is pretty clear about what happens to mere mortals who get caught lying to them; Bruce is a great promoter, but the fact is that 4 of the top producers in the Pearl Era- Watson, Lofton, J.Smith, Bradshaw- were recruited by Buzz; the darkest day in Bruce's run was not the New Year's Day Fiasco nor the day that Bruce got
fired- it was the day he recruited Ramar Smith, the 5-star thug to whom Bruce handed his team. Ramar is in prison (for good, let's hope) and Bruce is jobless. Karma is hell!

madmax22 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

I am always amazed at the stupidity and lack of insight of some of our fans. Let's look at Coach Martin's recruiting. He had less than a month on the job. UT had already used two of it's three available scholarships, signing Ware and Jones in the early signing period. Ware after claiming all to be All-Vol, opted to leave for UCF after they promised him immediate playing time at point guard. Jones recommitted but couldn't get into school (do you think he would have miraculously had the grades to get into UT if Pearl had still been coach). The recruits Martin signed were the best available left on the table. Who knows they both may turn out to be like 3* Chris Lofton or walk-on Juwan Smith, instead of 5* Ramar Smith and Duke Crews.

MWBTN writes:

Pearl Jam 2.0 with CMM at Purdue in 2014. Love it. Come on back Bruce.

thevoice writes:

Good riddance. You're a 40-something year old adult, act like one, garner respect. Just another used car salesman.

BSweet writes:

I'm ready for this to be over and done with.

claiborneh writes:

Pearl did garner respect from many. I am one.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to madmax22:

I am never amazed at the stupidity of someone that thinks a coach who has never had a big time recruit is a genius at recruiting. Stupid,stupid, stupid.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to flatrock:

Go back to VolNation. Your venom will be appreciated there.

eaglehim2 writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Totally agree with your comments about the NCAA. They have gone off the tracks and the university presidents need to take over and destroy them in their present form.

John_10065 writes:

in response to SirSpanky:

I am watching! You have to wonder if Pearl gets the coaching equal of a "death penalty" and Tressel doesn't what that means to the falling credibility of the NCAA.

There aren't a lot of Vol fans up here in Kentuckiana but the sports fans smell a foul emmination regarding the NCAA and Tressel already.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors_Daddy:

No. A real cheater is a KNS sponsored troll that hi-jacks screen names.

manniesghost1903 writes:

I am pleased to see Bruce Pearl still has some Big Orange supporters. Let me point out to those +Pearl Haters" there was a news article indicating Pat Summit was supporting Pearl. Why would she stand by Pearl unless she knew more about the situation then the media and the rest of us. I am also glad that so many of you recognize the inconsistencies and corruptness of the NCAA in their selective enforcement. For the most part the NCAA relies on "tales from its members about other schools" to initiate investigations. It is ironic that this is similiar to the methods the Nazis used to capture the Jews in Europe prior and during World War II.

I seriously doubt Coach Pearl will ever return to UT in any future position (although I would consider him for AD). Therefore, those who care about UT must support Coach Martin. I fear the 2011-2012 basketball season will be disaster for UT. However, Coach Martin seems to be focusing on bringing in a competitive class for the 2012-2013 season. If he is successful, UT will be competitive again.

I think the NCAA has "painted itself into a corner" in regard to Jim Tressel and the way it has handled the Ohio State situation. The early hand slap Ohio State received versus the punishment dished out to Bruce Pearl even now creates a legal atmosphere for a successful court defense. I would glady come back from the dead to help in a lawsuit against the NCAA for equal right violations.

DebKY writes:

in response to WildcatsOne:

Coach Cal is definitely my favorite coach because he ALWAYS gets beat when it counts!!!!
How long will it be before this final four will be stricken from the books!
GO VOLS!

volistic writes:

If only the NCAA would give Mike Hamilton a show cause penalty.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

You are living in a fantasy world. The NCAA is not going anywhere. That hope went out years ago when I thought the CFA was going to leave the NCAA on some major football issues.

Further, Pearl does deserve a punishment from the NCAA. He committed ethical violations (lying) about recruiting. He could have gotten out of everything (including his job) by simply telling the truth. As to your "good and decent man," real men don't go around lying to authorities. He did it to himself.

Finally, I am glad you are not running the UT athletic department. The one thing you can not do is fire Martin, even to rehire Pearl (IF he were to get off for any penalties. You would never hire another coach in any sport.

Pearl is gone, get over it. Martin is here, support him. Go Big Orange.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Just like Butler can't compete for the National Title with 3 star recruits. But more importantly, Bruce wasn't going to have anything other than 3 star recruits this year (except maybe Ware). Jones was not going to play for UT even if Pearl had stayed.

And just what have Pearl's 4 star recruits provided yet (not including Harris and only partially including Hopson)? The "best" scout team in basketball! Martin will start getting highly ranked recruits IF he wants them. GBO

springtx_vol writes:

in response to eaglehim2:

Who do you think the NCAA is? The University Presidents are the NCAA. Nothing happens without the schools agreeing to it. The NCAA is NOT a government agency. It is a voluntary organization that the schools agree to be part of. Please do your research.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to manniesghost1903:

Please let everyone know what NCAA punishment has been handed out to Pearl? Please show us your supreme intelligence and prescience to fortell the future.

Yes, the NCAA looked foolish with the delayed penalty for the OSU players. To my knowledge, no one except the Sugar Bowl big wigs and OSU fans (and not all of them, I have a cousing that was furious over allowing the players to play in the Sugar Bowl) thought it was right. Unfortunately for Tressell, that is probably going to make his punishment even more severe. It is my prediction (with ALL of my NCAA insight [read, yeah, right, here!]) that Tressell is going to get show cause also. He lied and/or misled OSU and the NCAA at least three times. And he lied about real recruiting/eligibility issues, unlike Pearl.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Are we in some kind of time warp?

UofTNVol writes:

I'll always be a Bruce Pearl fan. Hope everything works out for him. He is a good man that made a stupid mistake. That is all. All the holier-than-thous that want to act like they've never told a fib are LYING.

EMBuckles writes:

I think that the NCAA needs to be replaced by a new college athletics governing organization which has more reasonable, realistic rules. If Bruce Pearl had done something other than "GASP", make TELEPHONE CALLS ("Say it ain't so Bruce!!") or "SHUDDER" have potential recruits to a "ARRRGH" BARBECUE, I could understand the NCAA's displeasure. I have heard of some highly questionable, distasteful practices elsewhere over the years and those DO need to be stopped when they happen. Bruce Pearl should not have even felt the need to "tell a story" about what he did because they should NOT have been infractions of the rules. And if college teams do ever recruit some young man or young woman whom they find is a "thug", they - especially given the huge incomes of many athletics programs - need to have professionals available who can teach them appropriate behavior and provide them with whatever therapy they need.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to EMBuckles:

Why should the NCAA allow non-high school seniors to be feted? The recruiting process is bad enough as it is. When high school freshman can take official visits, be plied with diet coke, filet mignon, and cheesecake, and spend time out of school where they should be studying.

Yes, I know, I live in a fantasy world. There are lots of changes that I would make to the recruiting process. I think the rules should be the same for all sports. In baseball, you can get drafted, hire an agent, and negotiate for a contract. You have until the first day of fall classes to make a decision on what to do. If you decide to go to school, you are there for three years. Why can't basketball and football have something similar? (FYI, the three year thing for baseball is in accordance with the MLB CBA. The NFL and NBA would have to do something similar with their next CBA. IMO, it is in their best interest to keep the kids out of the pros as long as they can.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Something tells me your serious about his recruiting...as I spit Coke ALL OVER MY COMPUTER....think maybe he can have, ahhh I dont know, maybe 3 months on the job before we pronounce him a failure at recruiting...

brewcrew writes:

Pearl has suffered enough....8 Conf games & his job. The NCAA got what they wanted....they put the heat on UT and Hamilton caved in and fired the best Basketball Coach in UT History. I have an idea.....let the NCAA put a "show cause" on Hamilton and keep him away from UT Athletics for a couple of years.

stormblast writes:

in response to tennrich1:

I went through this with the Kiffin hire. Everyone dogged me to the gills before the dude even coached his first game. I wasn't ready to build the alter or temple to Kiffin in the spring, but preferred to let the man coach his first game.

I agree. Before the report card is written, let class be in session for some time.

VVOOLL44LIFE writes:

Serious Lies -- Show Cause -- 10 Years

Blame Hamilton for not doing his job.

VVOOLL44LIFE writes:

Serious Lies -- Show Cause -- 10 Years

Blame Hamilton

KC_Vol writes:

I hope Coach Pearl doesn't get more than a 2 year show cause penalty. What he did was wrong, he admitted it, got docked a bunch of money, and then was fired from his dream job. What he did is nothing like what Kelvin Samson did. I hope Pearl has learned his lesson and will go on to have a great, clean career for a school outside of the SEC. Love you coach and hope for the best for both you and the University of Tennessee.

easleychuck writes:

in response to TommyJack:

BP has already paid dearly. Let it go.

Agree, whole-heartedly. His punishment, losing his job, is more than enough considering the type of misdeeds that he committed.

Anymore is just piling on.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

I, hope when the ashes clear Pearl goes somewhere like Vandy and becomes a thorn in our side

calvolfromkingsport writes:

in response to WildcatsOne:

Whatup kitty, get tired of jackin your jaws on the citizen's band? Calamari's next.

VOLunTEAR writes:

Love Bruce. Great Coach. Likeable guy. Wish we could have kept him forever. Truth is . . . Bruce did this to himself. "Suicide by lying." We can blame Mike Hamilton, The Trustees, The NCAA, Fate, Karma, Dr. Ruth, or Little Red Riding Hood, but we (and Bruce) are suffering because of what BRUCE did. "Say it ain't so, Bruce."

Brillovol writes:

in response to BigVolinCarolina:

I mostly agree. Everything I'm hearing is a 2 year show-cause.

I say his days at a major program and final four runs are numbered, though.

phippo1956#453504 writes:

some of you vfl posters are on some good drugsor just plainol peanuts. i liked coach pearl, he screwed up, he's paying the price, he will never be the coach here again. just like majors and fulmer, you may not like the way things were done but it's over for them. does anyone of you pearl lovers know of just one instance where a coach got fired for what pearl has done and then re-hired at a later date. if so please name the coach and the school and the nature of the reason he was fired for in the first place. and as for the players the 2 coaches are recuiting, go back over the years in fb and bb and you will see where we got our butts whipped by players just like they are recuiting now. give me a 3 star with heart thats wants to play over a bench full of 4&5 star prima donnas who play when they feel like it.