Austin Johnson sorry for 'embarrassment' of arrest

Austin Johnson talks about his arrest

Austin Johnson was arrested on Sunday, July 24, 2011, on the Cumberland Strip in Knoxville for disorderly conduct and public intoxication. (Mug shot by KNOX COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE)

Austin Johnson called the 24 hours after his July arrest “something like a dream.”

The way the senior Tennessee linebacker described it after Tuesday’s practice, it safely could be classified as a nightmare for one of the Vols’ most respected leaders.

“I was sick to my stomach,” Johnson said in his first interview since the July 24 incident. “I was so embarrassed, I couldn't sleep at night, I couldn't eat.

“It wasn't the best time of my life and I let my family down … I let everyone down.”

Johnson was booked for public intoxication and disorderly conduct after an altercation with an unidentified male in the back parking lot of Tin Roof at 1915 Cumberland Ave. Johnson was also seen hitting vehicles, according to the police report.

Johnson, 22, said he wouldn’t discuss the details of the police report, but added that “some of the stuff that was said is not necessarily what I was doing.”

Johnson is scheduled to appear in court Thursday.

On Monday, Johnson said he addressed the entire team during a meeting. He said he used Tuesday's practice as a release from all the stress that's followed him since he became the first Vol to find trouble with the law in months.

“I should have never put myself in that situation,” Johnson said. “I should have never been out that late. I'm extremely embarrassed. I embarrassed my team, I embarrassed the fans, I embarrassed my family and I embarrassed my coaches. I've learned from my mistakes.

“I plan to move forward and become a better person from this.”

Coach Derek Dooley said Monday that Johnson’s punishment with the team would be handled “internally.” Penciled in as the Vols’ first-team weakside linebacker, Johnson is not expected to miss any playing time in the season opener against Montana.

One of the Vols’ few scholarship seniors, Johnson said he hasn’t had his leadership abilities questioned by his teammates or coaches, who he said have been behind him “100 percent.”

Those outside the program also played a large role in boosting Johnson’s spirits, as he fielded numerous messages of support from UT fans.

“They've showed me a lot of support,” Johnson said. “That's meant the world to me. Just to make sure they know I have their back and they have my back.

“I think this is only going to make us grow stronger as a family and just keep moving on.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say no need to extract pound of Flesh from young man as Witch Doctor was also forgiven for burning down ETSU homecoming float. (after restitution lol)
Bones never lie.

HallowedHill writes:

Boys will be boys. Learn from it and move on.

GO VOLS!

eVOLved writes:

Right on, Witch Doctor! AJ shouldn't be judged from his worst moment. I think it is great he addressed the team, and like WD, I had my crazy, drunken days in college.

chattavfl86 writes:

True remorse is hard to convey, but I believe austin is truely remorseful. Anyone who believes any punishment would teach him a more valuable lesson than the shame he feels is a fool. Its one thing for others to be disappointed in you. It is much more powerful for you to be disappointed in yourself. He will bounce back and probably have a stellar senior year. Use it as motivation austin! GBO

rocky_topper writes:

Most everyone who gets arrested for criminal activity seems to have some type of remorse. The embarrassment towards the university is far worse than what a thug experiences for getting caught. Just my opinion.

NashvillePreds writes:

IMO, a large part of life is overcoming adversity, whether the adverse situations are self-inflicted, or beyond one's control.
I believe our man will use this unfortunate lapse of judgement to his benefit, and be better for it.

GO VOLS

pingkr62 writes:

Despite his mistake, I think A.J.'s apology was sincere and heart felt. I could imagine how I would feel if I were in his shoes. Hopefully he has learned a valuable life lesson. We all make mistakes from time to time, but the most important thing about making mistakes, is to never make the same mistake twice. To err is human, but to forgive is divine. Time now to move on and get ready for football season. G.B.O.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to eVOLved:

Witch Doctor say we all have'em and how would we like to see KNS outside our house jotting down the details on the inside of a pizza box they SHOULD be delivering? Witch Doctor prefer the shadows .lol
Bones never lie.
*great point eVOL

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

From the great things that I have heard about AJ since the arrest, I am not surprised he shows remorse for his actions and embarrassment..He is NOT a thug because has had no other issues until this one lapse in judgment..Plus, I'm sure that he knows his punishment will not be a walk in the park..He will learn from this and move on..Now let's put this behind us and get ready for football season, as I'm sure that AJ would like to do.

Smokey is still on the prowl for AJ to tell him to take advantage of the second chance..

keepitreal4vols writes:

Austin Johnson was arrested and is sorry for it. That story should be a premium on 247.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to chattavfl86:

He may very well be remorseful, but sometimes punishment isnt about teaching the offender any more of a lesson. Sometimes its about sending a message to the rest of the team that behavior has consequences beyond the legal system. Dont get me wrong. Not knowing the details, only the charge, I dont think what he did was that bad, but I also wouldnt mind him sitting out half of the opener and letting someone who worked just as hard as him and didnt get into trouble make the start. Maybe that would send a message to the rest of the team and would deter this behavior in the future. Maybe I'm being too strict, but after the 7th arrest since Dooley's been head coach I think this would be a perfect time to send a strong message to the rest of the team since Dooley bills himself as a strict disciplinarian.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Let's give this time and see the how C.D.D. handles this. G.B.O.

VOLliven2it writes:

I have never been drunk in my life. I cannot relate to that nor to all who say "everyone does it at that age." But I have certainly said things I should not have and hurt people. I felt awful and apologized when I grew up and came to my senses. So did Austin in this instance. Was it bad? Yes it was. Do some of us think there should be a little more consequence? Some of us do. But we do not make that decision. The coaching staff does. It seems AJ sees his wrong and it will likely not happen again with him. Now he can hopefully run the bleachers, whatever and get on with life being a positive leader on this defense.

Vol43 writes:

in response to rocky_topper:

rocky_topper. I don't know what kind fan you are, but I took the liberty to review a sampling of your most recent posts and it appears to me that you perceive Austin Johnson to be a 'THUG'. Please excuse me if I misunderstood your intentions, but it appears that is exactly what you meant. Did you really call this senior with a clean record up until this episode, a 'THUG'?

Prostar writes:

Enough is enough. Let CDD handle it in his own way. The QB coach at S. Carolina was intoxicated and urinating in public so Spurrier "suspended" him. Now that fall practice is starting up he has been "un-suspended". OK Mr. Johnson, you are hereby suspended from morning practice and will practice in the afternoon instead. There, I'm finished.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

"Boys will be boys" and "everyone does it" is nothing short of a platitude. Honestly, how hard is it to avoid being arrested?

That being said, I highly respect AJ for the apology. I'm glad he came forward.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

I just have two questions,

What did those cars do to tick him off?

Is he paying for the repairs?

If the answer is "yes" to the second question, its really none of my business.

Whiskey_Wizard writes:

Look how big his neck is. That is one big dude!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

I just have two questions,

What did those cars do to tick him off?

Is he paying for the repairs?

If the answer is "yes" to the second question, its really none of my business.

Unless it was one of your cars,it's none of your business anyway.

chattavfl86 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

That is a valid point, and I would agree that he should be used to set a strong example for the team. However, why does that have to mean a suspension? To me, a suspension would only serve to show people outside the program that an example was being made. Is CDD expected to placate the wants of those outside the program every time something of this nature happens? I believe this is the precise reason the whole incident is being handled internally. The only people who need to see an example being made are those within the program. What kind of message would be sent to the freshmen if he were to be suspended? That you can do everything right your whole career, earn a starting job your senior year, become a team leader, but make an unfortunate mistake and we will hang you out to dry? Wrong message, IMO. Of course if you still differ that's fine, this is all only my opinion. I just believe its an extremely valid one.

tnsportsman writes:

Small Issue Done!

Back in the days when I was at UT, drinking and fighting was common place and no big deal. Boy has times changed in this 24/7 News and Social Network (It's The Beast 666) LOL!

2011 Rule: If you are going fight, don't drink; if you are going drink, don't fight.

Fight On The Field BIG ORANGE!

GO VOLS, VFL!

RaineyVol writes:

It's more of an embarrassment that our own site keeps bringing it up over and over and over again for everyone to see... It's getting old!

nyvols writes:

Minor mistake. He is remorseful, lets move on and play football! The strip has gotten many people in trouble of the years and it will get many more in trouble. Live and Learn!

Whiskey_Wizard writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Gosh darn it! I think u r right!

orangeblood8456 writes:

nobody's perfect and you haven't let me down. you're honesty is refreshing!

Outdated writes:

No apology needed..Just play football...personal matters should be handled as just that...by Dooley..too much publicity for minor incident.

gortrtt writes:

AJ is a senior and hasn't yet been in trouble here at UT. He got drunk and made a donkey (seriously, do we get censored for the word "a_ _"? ) of himself. I've seen plenty of others do the same thing. Not everyone, but plenty of young people, especially young men, err in their early 20's.

Coach Dooley will handle it as he sees fit. Not that it really matters to anyone but me, but I don't think Johnson should lose playing time for this isolated incident. If he messes up again, then perhaps more drastic measures should taken.

As an aside, I must ask the question: Is Austin Johnson's neck unusually large, or is his onion unusually small?

orangeman1 writes:

in response to chattavfl86:

You also have a valid point, but I dont think making a starter sit until halftime vs Montana(as I suggested) is exactly hanging him out to dry. Maybe I am putting too much emphasis on how it looks to fans and outsiders the way Dooley disciplines players without losing game time.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

He has talked alot about changing the culture and emphasized discipline and character, but you may be right about him not billing himself as a strict disciplinarian. Maybe its just some fans that I have repeatedly heard saying it to somehow distinguish him from other coaches. I have said all along that I dont have a problem if Dooley wants to apply the same standard as other coaches at major programs. I guess it just gets under my skin a little that some fans have described him as a strict disciplinarian and will argue the point when he seems to be like most other coaches at major programs. Some fans just need to accept that he isnt as strict on discipline as they make him out to be. I still think nothing gets their attention like losing playing time, but he's the one who makes the decisions and his way of disciplining will hopefully cut down on the off the field incidents.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

When did I miss that he was charged with Vandalism? Apparently he didnt do damage to any cars so no need to exaggerate the incident. I'm sure if he meant to cause damage he couldve so unless you know he damaged cars then quit exaggerating what he did. And as far as your steroid accusation. You got any facts to back that up either? Didnt think so. I do believe if Dooley suspected steroids as being a factor that he wouldve already been tested.

VolGrad writes:

CSS is irrelevant.

Talking about "strict-er" discipline of AJ is irrelevant.

Since we are on the subject, how about Garcia being reinstated for the sixth time by Coach Steve Spurrier (or CSS, for short)?

volfan73120#211815 writes:

I have a good example of stupid mistakes college kids can make, especially freshmen. As a freshman in the spring of 1952 I was taking a friend of mine from the fraternity house down to Dug Out Dougs music store on cumberland Ave. to pick up the music for a party we were having at the fraternity house that night. This was in the afternoon, on a Saturday, and no alcohol was involved. There was a water pistol on the front seat of my car, and my buddy picked it up and was shooting me on the side of my face. As I approached the traffic light at the intersection of Temple and Cumberland I told my buddy to stop shooting me and shoot that policeman standing on the corner. He handed me the water pistol and told me to shoot him. I fired a shot across the passenger seat and out the window and turned the corner and drove to the top of the hill to the music store and parked in front, while my Buddy picked up the music. As he returned the policeman had sprinted to my car and told my Buddy to get in. The policeman got in the back seat and said we were under arrest. My buddy asked what the charges were, and the policeman pulled his gun and told me to drive to the city court. I was charged with parking in a no parking zone, and my Buddy was charged with disorderly conduct. On Sunday the story was in the Knoxville Journal, with a headline of "KNOXVILLE POLICEMAN SHOT BETWEEN EYES BUT LIVES. The story puts our names and address in the paper and explains the weapon was a water pistol. As you might imagine UT students came to our aid because the policeman pulled a gun on us. They were livid. At our trial the following Friday, the court room was packed with students and reporters. There was a large crowd outside who couldn't get in. My buddy told the judge he didn't shoot the officer, and the judge said, "well then who did"? I raised my hand and said "I did". Laughter broke out in the court room. The judge then dismissed the charge against my buddy, and fined me $10 for parking in a no parking zone. We went back to campus with a big following of our peers. That night as the fraternity parties were breaking up they started marching in the streets, and by midnight the first panty raid at the University of Tennessee was under way. The women were helping out by throwing panties out of their dorm windows. Soon the Knoxville Police Force showed up and the riot was on.

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Ok....The parking lot at the music building has a little raised area resembling a launching pad to drive your car across late at night and see if you can get airborne. You can't. Trust me on this one...

cloudodust writes:

Maybe an aricle on the arrest stats for the college aged that aren't athletes for same and similar charges would help put this in perspective. Me, I was arrested my one and only time for public drunk at age 18 (the legal age was 18 then) and learned my lesson. Most do...

Classof72 writes:

We don't need to obsess about punishing this young man. Unfortunately, the SEC offenses will punish the stew out of our linebackers. At least he wanted to hit somebody. Wrong time, wrong place, wrong people. We'll see how he hits people who can hit back.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

That was you, Doc? I heard about that. They say the fire dept. got there in time to save the homecoming queen, but too late to save the mules pulling the float. According to legend, half the campus blamed the current president and the other half blamed the previous president; but when they found the note saying "This float sucks--bones never lie" some people started to suspect supernatural intervention. Did the school ever follow through on their threat to bring a malpractice suit against you?

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to orangeman1:

According to the police report, the fight was actually started by an old foul-mouthed Ford Escort. Supposedly, Johnson was laying a beating on the old Escort when two young late-modeled SUVs intervened and pinned him to the ground until the police got there. Neither of the SUVs was charged, as their actions were deemed to be self defense. No decision has been made regarding the Escort.

TheSolution2TheProblem writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

rollonbeagles writes:

in response to VOLliven2it:

I agree with you and Orange 100%. I hope and believe he is sorry but how about the guys not getting into trouble. There should be some consequence and maybe there will be some sort of punishment that is evident down the road. And everyone doesn't get drunk and get arrested.

IndyVolFan writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Missing car payments with no repossession implies a financial benefit of a free car (see Terrell Pryor and his new cars). This would bring the NCAA Enforcement dogs down and that IS worthy of of a several game suspension. Walking around campus/vicinity drunk would make the NCAA think fondly of their days in school.

UTKin1992 writes:

His behavior was definitely over-the-top and worthy of punishment. That being said, I sure am glad some of my college antics weren't noted and plastered all over the media.

Of course I never hurt anyone or damaged property in the process...unless you count my liver.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

Witch Doctor say you not trying hard enough!!(lol)
Bones never lie.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to volfan73120#211815:

Great stuff. As your story shows, cops have been lying in police reports for at least the past 59 years.

in response to rocky_topper:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it is, in MY opinion, silly to say that a whole giant university suffers more from what one momentarily irresponsible student does than that student suffers from his lapse in judgment. A university the size of UT has a dozen students a week do that sort of thing. For Johnson, his family, and his team, it is one of the biggest things any of them has ever likely been through, short of losing a family member. The fact that Johnson is an athlete ensured that the incident got more publicity than it would otherwise, but, again, the embarrassment and such are far worse for him than it is for the university as a whole.

in response to IndyVolFan:

Don't waste the pixels, IVF. That guy is notorious for making the worst possible interpretation of ANYTHING a UT athlete or coach does regardless of any pesky little facts. His "facts" are corrected on a regular basis on here, but none of them make the slightest impression. He knows what he knows and says what he says, no matter how often he is shown to be wrong or at best wildly exaggerating.

rocky_topper writes:

in response to Vol43:

Why ask a question you already know the answer to? I am a huge fan. Moreover, I am a huge fan of the University, not solely a fan to any one player. The program is much bigger than a player on the team. I think a precedent was set that everyone is now allowed one arrest for public intoxication and vandalism and everyone will just continue about their business. It's bad for the program overall. Go Big Orange!

in response to rocky_topper:

It's not exactly "allowed", since we don't what kind of internal punishment has been levied. If he has to get up at 5:00 AM for a few weeks to run to the top of the ramp at the south end of Neyland Stadium a half-dozen times or so wearing a weight vest, I would consider that a powerful inducement not to even THINK about putting myself in that position again. It might even deter me from doing it ONCE!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to rocky_topper:

I don't disagree but bear in mind this is a summary offense. There is no jury or judge hearing and won't be on his long-term record. It's literally pay a couple of hundred dollar fine and move on.

I may be mistaken but I don't think there are any vandalism charges.

Vol43 writes:

in response to rocky_topper:

Rocky, the only problem I had with it was you called him a thug. A thug, he is certainly not and does not deserve being called such. Shame on you.

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to rocky_topper:

Your opinion but I disagree. No one on here knows what type punishment he is receiving now. What he is getting may be much tougher than missing a game as far as we know. I do agree all the players are watching to see how its handled. But I disagree that he is necessarily getting off light. I've played and coached and I can tell you there are plenty of internal ways to send a strong message to players and still keep it internal. Additionally, the players already KNOW if Dooley is easy or not. How long has it been since UT players have been as well behaived over all off the field as they have been the past year? I may be wrong but I think the coach has got a good handle on these guys overall. We'll see.....