Justin Wilcox getting players more at ease

UT defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox works with players during practice at Haslam Field on Saturday, Aug. 7, 2010.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Justin Wilcox talks after Thursday's practice

Photo with no caption

The system has been in place at Tennessee for a full season.

That's obviously a positive for Justin Wilcox.

Quite a few of the Vols figuring into the defensive coordinator's schemes are entering their first year with it.

That's not nearly as encouraging, though Wilcox is far from chalking it up as a negative.

Considering how impressive some of UT's new talent appears to be early in fall camp, Wilcox could have worse problems as he starts a month of overseeing position battles that could easily spill over into the season. Of course, the addition of freshmen and transfers to the mix is critical for a defense largely missing a veteran presence, but at least through three early practices the pros outweigh the cons heading into Year Two for Wilcox at UT.

"Potential and production, OK, those are the two words," Wilcox said after practice Thursday. "Potential gets everybody excited — coaches, fans, you guys (in the media). We're in the same boat, but what we're going to be interested in from here on out is production.

"I think we're obviously ahead of where we were because the systems have been in for a year. Now we're introducing some new players into the system, but we're excited to get going and let these guys go out there and compete."

The fresh faces and the returners haven't yet had a chance to do that on the same field, though that will come this afternoon when the whole team is brought together for a workout for the first time in camp.

The practice will also provide an official start to the jockeying for jobs. The competition will be particularly important in a front seven with one returning starter and a secondary that added five bodies to the mix since the end of last season.

Wilcox stressed multiple times that the Vols might not finish sorting through all their options until several weeks into the season. But that doesn't mean he's necessarily wasting the head start that came with installing his defense at UT a year ago.

"Obviously there's some inexperience at certain positions, but there's also some guys coming back in the back seven that have played some — there's going to be a lot of competition in this camp, which is great," Wilcox said. "To be real honest with you, I'm not comparing this year and last year. We're moving forward, and that's the only way to do it in this business.

"Obviously there were a couple older guys last year that had played some, but we had some younger guys in the back end obviously. There's always going to be something you're looking for, and we just need to get into camp and let these guys compete so we can find out who's going to be there first game to help us."

Clearly those guys might not be there for the second game or the third as Wilcox and the defensive staff continue to evaluate and develop the younger players.

Janzen Jackson and Brent Brewer appear to be established at safety, and Malik Jackson and Jacques Smith are likely locked into roles on the defensive line.

The Vols might also have a good idea who would fill out the rest of the starting lineup if they had to turn one in today — but given their available options, that could change often as practice progresses.

"We're going to find that out through fall camp, and it may be two, three, four games into the season where some of these new guys continue to emerge," Wilcox said.

"In terms of being comfortable, I don't think you're ever comfortable. I mean, nobody has ever said they've got too much depth.

"It's way too early to begin to speculate on who is doing what. We're excited about these new guys that are here, and we're excited to get them rolling so they can learn a little bit and hopefully play fast and compete."

The competition will really pick up this afternoon.

And apparently it won't be over for a while.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BigVolFaninSC writes:

That's right! Keep that starting line-up fluid so that the new guys can have true competition with the "vets"!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Darn...I should've said, "FIRST!"

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Papermate_Chinese_Bandit:

You ae a very sad person. But tell me would it do any good to tell you to go and tick it?

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

in response to Papermate_Chinese_Bandit:

Every time you post you only further prove what a total moron you really are little boy.

Coach Justin Wilcox is a excellent D coordinator as many coaches around the country know.

For a nobody it sure is funny how hard Texas tried to steal CJW away from us this past offseason.

You'll probably say that the Texas HC knows nothing about football too.

LOL @ you actually knowing anything about football kid.

I really pity you kid.

VFL...GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Outdated writes:

Seems to me Dooley has assembled an excellent staff who is working to make the most of a bad situation..what more can we Vol fans expect?
Seems to me Dooley is recruiting as best he can to fill needs rather than stars..seems reasonable to me..What do I see in Dooley that impresses me the most? I liked the way he refused to let the defense dictate the play calling last year..when they packed the line he refused to run it three times and punt..I also like the fact he projects class as a person..

DarthVol writes:

in response to Papermate_Chinese_Bandit:

Did Dooley beat up your dad in front of your boyfriend or something? You're just kind of weird about it.

doh writes:

in response to Papermate_Chinese_Bandit:

the tigers bleaux

VOLliven2it writes:

Hey in just a few weeks we will see just what we have in our defense. Meanwhile all the talk is talk. I believe we will see marked improvement and a group that really wants to play for our coaches. That should be exciting.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

I will take one Justin Wilcox over four Chavis's. I grew tired of seeing the long 3rd down coversions in critical games either beating us or almost beating us.

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

Everything I have read concerning the new conditioning coach, our defense is prowling around like hungry lions. We may see a team of Farleys run out there and become our strength this year. I like Wilcox and Dooley. I am expecting to be underestimated this year by most of the SEC, and we will end up upsetting at least two teams in our conference. There is no doubt that our offense has improved, the only worries I have right now on defense is Linebacker. Hurry up and heal before the Florida game Herman Lathers, we will need you. But get ready to step up Maggit, cause you look a Leonard Little with your size and speed!

From the way we are lagging in recruiting, we need to win this year. Winning will make recruits change their minds before national signing day next year. Maybe we can steal a few more Dericks from Georgia!

Go Vols!!!!!!!

FiftyOne writes:

I will take a group of 3* and a few 4* that want to give their all for TN over a group of 5* that only want to put their time in and get to the NFL.

dynasty101 writes:

in response to spencer1989#206886:

Don't forget the 4th and 15 against LSU that they converted to eventually win the game. Wilcox has a long way to go before he is in the same ball park as the chief.

brokendownoldvol writes:

I hope he has sense enough to get rid of the prevent that lost the LSU and NC games last yr. Why can't college coaches understand that the clock stops when you back up and let them have 1st downs? It's the most frustrating part of watching college football. Especially TN over the yrs. since the 93 Ala. debacle. How many games has it lost for them?

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to dynasty101:

Got to agree with you dynasty101. Chavis was not a replaceable coach! The Chief was a Tennesse Icon! Wilcox is not a bad choice for his replacement, unfortunately though, we didnt replace Hamilton before he destroyed all of our coaching staff and lead recruiters!

hueypilot writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Don't know that much of that wasn't due to the personnel he had to use. I watched Wilcox's defense on a couple of occasions when he was still at Boise St. and was impressed with how many times, particularly on running plays there were blue shirts in the backfield blowing up the play. Not 6'5" 295 lb guys but 5'11" 195# guys coming from safety and corner and Lb positions. While it was gambling, it was disruptive and must have had zone blitz qualities. Holding TCU and Oregon to under 13 points when they were among the most productive offensive teams in the country was impressive, and without all the marquee recruits we keep hearing are "essential" to compete with ranked programs.

SavTnVol writes:

in response to FiftyOne:

me too.......unless the 5 stars are in the mold of Eric and Peyton........

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Good points Huey! Cause all football enthusiast know that "prevent defense" only prevents you from winning! He did a lot more with a lot less at Boise! Maybe this year, he has a little more depth and we will see a different defense.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

in response to dynasty101:

I do not disagree with you and I agree the Chief was great at times...But at times the defense we had was a bad choice....Remember the UCLA game the last year the chief was with us? And LSU almost got beat by Washington when the Chief used the same type defense. Those are the times I speak of and I just grew tired of us playing a great defense one half and a very relaxed defense the second half. I think given a little bit more time Justin will give us a great defense as well....I'm not so sure he has had much to work with so far....But it's getting better.

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

The problem all year will be our lack of decent linebackers. We are just going to have to outscore people because our D will give up a lot of points. Hope I am wrong, but I don't want to drink the Orange Kool-Aid just yet.

HoustonVol writes:

remember it took the Chief several years for his defense to gel and become a force. After his first year, many people wanted Fulmer to fire him. It takes more than one season to build a top ranked defense from scratch, especially if you are playing with someone else's players.

Volunatic writes:

in response to spencer1989#206886:

I agree with you about 3rd-and-long during the Chavis years. After watching his defenses for a couple of seasons under Les Miles, though, I wonder if the 3rd down ultra-conservative/"feared Mustang"/"give the opponent at least 5 to 7 yards" alignments weren't dictated by Fulmer.

Volunatic writes:

in response to dynasty101:

If Wilcox had enough depth last season so that his players weren't dog-tired at that point, the 4th down conversion you mention would not have happened.

Volunatic writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Well said. I agree with you about his defenses at Boise-- the schemes were innovative, and they got maximum production out of a bunch of players who were never offered scholarships by many BCS-conf schools.
He has more talent to work with here at UT than he had before, and a LOT more depth than he had to work with last season. That gives me a lot of hope for a drastic improvement this season.

VolVox writes:

I'm just grateful that we have the same O & D coordinators as last season for the first time in a while. I also think they're pretty good at their jobs.

Pompey writes:

in response to dynasty101:

....man for man this is the best coaching staff at UT in twenty years...no "ole boy"-my buddy. This staff is all professional,intelligent,and demanding. If that combo doesn't work out the entire sport is in trouble.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Outdated:

Very well said, coaching is everything, even more so than the number of "STARS" any recruited player brought with them. I continue to be impressed with what the entire coaching staff is doing. I'm also impressed with the attitude, and work ethic of the players. The one intangible is chemistry. If the offense and defense have that, we can expect great thing from this team. G.B.O.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

Sorry guys, but I have to disagree with you, I think CJW is every bit the DC Chavis is. He has already proven his defenses (at Boise State) can beat anyone. The only difference between the two is talent and depth. But with time, we will overcome that situation as well. G.B.O.

oskie_score writes:

in response to Volunatic:

The Head Coach has final say.

keviningeorgia writes:

I have high hopes for coach Wilcox overall. Hopefully, his schemes will be as effective in the SEC as they were out west as times move ahead. I also believe that Chief Chavis is one of the best Defensive Coordinators in college ball and has been so for a long time. Firstly, when he was let go at Tennessee, he hardly got out of the meeting before big time teams were calling his phone. The reason? Because he is so respected by the coaching community in doing what he does so well for so long. His first 2 seasons at LSU their defenses averaged 16.2 and 18.2 points per game for the year. Last year, we know LSU was great against the run but did you know that Phil Steele ranked them #13 in the nation against the pass also? Another thing with Chavis is he has always appeared to be happy as a coordinator and not constantly looking to get a head coaching gig nor move somewhere else. You know how uncommon that is in football these days?

Everybody's defense is going to get burned from time to time. No matter the scheme, players still have to make plays. When Chief has the proper talent on the field he is as good as they come in college ball. That said, I really like what I see so far from Wilcox and hope he does a great job. But, if things had worked out in a way that Chief was still in Knoxville, that would have been a great thing too. I will always appreciate the great work and loyalty John Chavis had for UT.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Some great comments on here this morning, guys..I thought Chavis did some good work while he was here, but I do think it was time for a fresh face and an up and coming DC that could bring some new ideas to the defense..Justin WIlcox was an excellent choice because I think once he actually has enough players to work with, he can be as good as Chavis(one day) and that he was at Boise but with even more talented players..IMO, that makes him even more dangerous and he will have this defense in the top 10 in the country before his career at UT is complete..It may not be this year, but I think next year will be his break-out year and we will have to give him and other coaches one h@lluva raise to hang on to them...By that time, we will have a complete roster and SEC talented players to work with because Justin and all the coaches will have a very good football team, one that we have been waiting for a long time.

Smokey is still on the prowl for a defense that will become feared..

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

You'll probably say that the Texas HC knows nothing about football too.

LOL @ you actually knowing anything about football kid.

I really pity you kid.

VFL...GO BIG ORANGE!!!

Good response!!

VolinCalif writes:

Guys. Don't short talk our LB's. I know that they are a little small but they are very fast for LB's. You know that speed can wear down the opponent as well as strength. Extra size helps in any position but speed is also a very big help. I just have the feeling that this group is going to surprise everyone. GBO

VolGrad writes:

in response to spencer1989#206886:

Yep, Coach Chavis was a great defensive coordinator on 1st and 2nd downs..., probably among the best. But 3rd down and long was always his achilles hill. As a matter of fact, ANY "down and long" was his achilles hill. I think the "bend but don't break" came out as a "why bend when you can allow it to bust wide open" philosophy. At least it often seemed that way.

VolGrad writes:

In all fairness, Coach Chavis was and is one of the better defensive coaches out there. For us fans, we always remember the busted plays more than the ones where we shut the other team down. And it did seem to happen more as we grew frustrated with the overall performance of those Tennessee teams. But did it really happen more? And how much of that was related to the issue the offense was having with 3 and outs? Let's face it, without Coach Cutcliffe as OC, the whole darn team suffered, including the defense.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to VolGrad:

And that can be blamed on Phil Fulmer! G.B.O.

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to VolGrad:

I looked it up on last year's Phil Steele. Chavis' defenses the last few years at Tn:
2003 - 18.4 per game
2004 - 22.7 per game
2005 - 18.6 per game
2006 - 19.5 per game
2007 - 27.3 per game
2008 - 16.8 per game

During the same time period, Florida went:
2003 - 20.8
2004 - 21.1
2005 - 18.8
2006 - 13.5 -- nat. champs
2007 - 25.5
2008 - 12.9 -- nat champs

Those numbers are pretty comparable but Fla.'s 2 lowest numbers are a bit better. And, of course, they were nat champs those years.

The very lowest average points given up don't necessarily equal nat champs. But you have to think any team that averages 20 points or less a year as an SEC team has the defense to win one.

BTW Auburn last year was 24.1 points. Alabama year before was 11.7 points per game...

FWBVol writes:

in response to keviningeorgia:

You make some nice points, but you fail to remember that Chavis has only been at LSU two years. Granted, it is confusing the way we've seen coaches come and go the last few years.

Chavis did a lot for our program and is a true Tennessee Volunteer, but things change and I believe we have one of the up-and-coming defensive coordinators in college football. I believe that the UT defense will turn the corner under Wilcox and start performing at a championship level as we are all hoping.

But be prepared because when that day happens it will be just a matter of time before Wilcox gets a head coaching job.

keviningeorgia writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say here. I believe I was clear that Chavis has been at LSU 2 years, that he did a GREAT job at UT and that I really appreaciate him for it and for being a great coach. I also said I really like what Coach Wilcox is doing so far.

Not trying to be argumentative but maybe you should read my post again. You may have me mistaken with someone else.

dynasty101 writes:

in response to spencer1989#206886:

Yeah...I can recall that game. He will never outlive 3rd down and chavis, even at LSU. I enjoy watching Justin's defense, seems to allow for big plays to happen via turnovers. Would like to imagine a system where he had a EB type player to key around, and for all we know Prentiss could develop into that type of player. Not expecting close to a shutdown D this year, but we will be efficent at creating turnovers.

dynasty101 writes:

in response to Pompey:

That is a bold statement/prediction. Love the enthuisasm as well, and I hope that turns true. When the NFL starts knocking on Wilcox's door every year(like the chief) then I will start to get on your boat. That "ole boy my-buddy" kept arg. the best defensive cordinator of the time in orange year after year. Not that I want that now, but you could never question the loyalty that came along with that staff.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

HUGE RECRUITING NEWS For A Position Of Need:

He chose the Vols over the Aggies and the his other choices were VERY IMPRESSIVE..

The best part is that this was a POSITION OF NEED..

Smokey is still on the prowl for beasts like this guy..Smokey says this guy is HUGE!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

You beat me to it!! I guess great minds think alike, CC!!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

There were quite a few more reason for Fulmer's success, but the 3 of them definately brought UT the most success in most of our lifetimes. Its a shame a so called UT fan disrespects a UT legend like you do with Fulmer though. It says something about your character.
I wish Cutcliff wouldnt have gotten the itch to be a head coach because there is no telling how many more great years all three couldve had at UT. I wonder if Cutcliff ever regrets leaving for Duke. I could understand leaving for Miss, but Duke?

Voluvr writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

This will help....Dalton Santos LB

VOLFAN4LIFEgovols writes:

in response to spencer1989#206886:

Cmon,dont down Chavis now. I like Wilcox but Chavis is one of the best dc's out there and has been for a long time. So dont act like Wilcox is better than Chavis.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

in response to VOLFAN4LIFEgovols:

Please go back and read a response that I had to a comment. Like I have said....Chavis is and was a great coach....I just grew tired of some of the strategies that got changed during a game. While I agree Chavis is one of the best....I also believe in Wilcox and believe he can be just a great if we give him the time. I believe in this coaching staff and the direction it is going. I do not believe its going to happen overnight. And I was one that wanted to see a change in the program to get it back in the right direction.

VOLFAN4LIFEgovols writes:

in response to spencer1989#206886:

I read all your comments yesturday and I like Wilcox 2 and think hes doing a good job. I think the defense did a great job last year they just spent way to much time on the field due to a poor offense.
It just seemd like you was downing Chavis in my eyes,basically saying Wilcox is 4 times better than him and thats y I posted a reply.
Wilcox is a very good DC,which is y Texas wanted him, but Chavis is one of the Elite DC'S in college football.