Jarnell Stokes may not attend Oak Hill Academy

MEMPHIS — Jarnell Stokes may spend his senior year at a Memphis-area high school after all.

The highly rated 2012 forward prospect said Tuesday he is reconsidering his decision to transfer to basketball powerhouse Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., due to financial considerations.

"I don't know yet. The thing with Oak Hill is a financial situation," said Stokes, a 6-8, 245-pound power forward who spent his freshman, sophomore and junior seasons at Central High in Memphis.

"It's stuff like boarding, allowance and plane tickets. As far as going to the school, (Oak Hill) has got me (covered) on that. But it's still like $900 to $1,000."

Stokes was originally scheduled to visit Oak Hill this week, but has canceled that trip.

If he doesn't attend Oak Hill, Stokes said he will return to Central or attempt to transfer to Southwind High, which boasts another prized forward prospect in junior Johnathan Williams. Memphis City Schools and Shelby County Schools began classes Monday.

"Another option would be IMG Academy (in Bradenton, Fla.)," Stokes said.

Stokes, whom Rivals.com rates the No. 10 overall prospect in the class of 2012, has cut his college list to a top five of Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Tennessee and Memphis.

He averaged 17.2 points and 9.2 rebounds and shot 64 percent from the field as a junior at Central last season, leading the Warriors to a 21-7 regular-season record.

Stokes' YOMCA AAU team went 53-6 on the spring and summer circuit, advancing to the finals in both the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League at the Nike Peach Jam and the AAU 11th-grade Division 1 national tournament.

On Saturday, Stokes will participate in the Franchise Classic high-school all-star game in Manhattan, N.Y. Last weekend, he helped Team USA Midwest earn the Nike Global Challenge championship in Hillsboro, Ore., scoring 13 points and grabbing eight rebounds in a 99-94 win over Team Canada.

eb502us#225637 writes:

Hope a Memphis alum gives this kid some money, then we can cross them off his list for the violation.

easleychuck writes:

You know the world is really upside down when where any high school basketball player attends high school. Sorry, not being negative. But jeesh some perspective, please.

Outdated writes:

Martin's staff w/NBA connections should help with this guy..I'm sure they are using this tactic..hope it works...

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to easleychuck:

I agree with you Chuck. And what makes it even worse is he has no intention of getting any more education. His entire focus is on playing ball and both high schools and universities know it....yet they will accept him to help their teams.

flatrock writes:

The AAU stuff is sickening. This kid has already played 60 games since his prep season ended last spring. Where did he get the money for that? The shoe companies spend tons on these type programs and help the AAU become a breeding ground for corruption. I wish the TSSAA and other state prep organizations would step up and put some serious restrictions on out-of-school participation.

Snapshot writes:

Sure would be nice if Coach Martin could get this kid if even for only one year. I'm sure thats all he will spend in school where ever he goes. But if he is of the same level player as Tobias Harris you have to try and get him.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to Snapshot:

It would great to have Jarnell as a Vol but look for Arkansas to be a player here...will be hard to shake him loose from the Memphis deal...

murrayvol writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

And you know this to be fact? I didn't think so.

murrayvol writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

I don't think it's shameful. I think it's unfortunate.

Prostar writes:

Before we get too head-over-heels with this kid I would want to see if he even has the grades to make it in college. Something tells me he stays in Memphis, spends his 13th year at Tiger High and then trys to go pro. Getting an education of any kind is probably the farthest thing on his mind.

TommyJack writes:

in response to murrayvol:

I don't think it's shameful. I think it's unfortunate.

Agree with Murr.
Some mouthbreathers on here think all these kids should have gone to the Baylor School or some such.

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to murrayvol:

And you know this to be fact? I didn't think so.

Have you been following the story about this kid Murray? I have and he said in an earlier story the reason for transferring was so that "all he would have to concentrate on is basketball". Now does that sound like a kid that is trying to further his education? I'm not saying everyone is college material, but I do think that some colleges and some prep schools could care less about getting the kids educated as long as they help them win games.

hueypilot writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

ESPN is coming with a story about how kids transfer on this or that whim strictly for sports. They reported that 47% of the top 100 bball recruits had attended multiple high schools and they were laying a lot of this at the feet of these AAU gigs.
Clearly something stinks about these deals and the notion of amateurism, even at the hs level is a sham.

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to bricker865:

...and don't forget about cash. Yeah, lots of cash!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

There should be some kinda rules here.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

We don't have enough rules.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

We don't have enough rules.

How about the SEC Pres,? Think He could come up with something? The NCAA lawyers might know what to do.

Slystone writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

And remind me how many years Tobias Harris spent at UT?

Colliervol writes:

in response to The_Real_Orange:

Hence the problem with men's college basketball these days. Most of these high profile recruits move around like gypsies simply looking for places where they can stay eligible to play. Talk about a seedy mess. Something the NCAA needs to get involved with and clean up along with those trashy AAU programs and coaches. Starting to feel like I need to shower after watching a college basketball game.

LJS1984 writes:

in response to murrayvol:

I don't think it's shameful. I think it's unfortunate.

It's pretty shameful and unfortunate. But when Obama gets finished we won't have to worry about any of that. Spread the wealth!

kthoma14 writes:

in response to LJS1984:

What are you talking about? This is a sports page? What is shameful is people inserting their ignorant opinions on politics on a sports page if i wanted to read your nonsense I would go the the news section which I no longer do for that exact reason.

The_Real_Orange writes:

in response to Colliervol:

I agree 100%. Unfortunately where the is as much money as sports have now gotten to, its not easy to fix. It could all be solved with parents taking control of the situation, but then you have to deal with the parents that are out to get their dollars too. Sadly, its probably gonna get worse in both football and basketball before it gets better.

phippo writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

what do you need 900 bucks for just to go to school at home.